Changes Rnd 4

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changes Rnd 4

samoht wrote: Mon 22 Jun 2020 2:07pm
nostalgicsaint wrote: Mon 22 Jun 2020 1:57pm
Watch a game where you get smashed in the ruck and you'll understand why it's important.
I did watch a game recently, and you just did .. we smashed the Bulldogs 49 hitouts to 12 ... we quadrupled their hitouts - yet we only had 3 more clearances - 32 to 29.
So 34 out of those extra 37 hitouts amounted to zilch - what else can we conclude?

Ryder can jump (and he needs to at 197cm) - but, it's not a high-jump contest.

I'm convinced that going in with 1 good ruckman - Marshall - who can take marks and can rack up possessions around the ground - not just win hitouts which much more often than not don't translate into clearances, is the way to go.
This way - by not doubling up in the ruck - you can also play another ground level player and gain another 20 plus possessions. Even if we don't see the rationale of this, Collingwood and Richmond certainly do.
Marshall is not quite as effective as he was by sharing the duties - we need to see all the negatives - and there are plenty - that come with doubling up in the ruck.

Anyway, enough said --- I'm getting tired of hearing myself ... I'll give it a rest, now. :oops:
I'm not sure Richmond really do subscribe to that theory. They won the 2019 Grand Final playing two rucks against one. I do support horses for courses & obviously RoMa is our future but anyone who watched last Saturday knows that Collingwood's clearance advantage came when Grundy was against RoMa.

I don't believe we can put a line through Ryder from Saturday's game but a similarly insipid performance from our mids should ensure a shake up. Poor disposal, lack of contest, minimal tackling & poor each way running. Hold your head up Jack Steele, the others should donate their match fee to the homeless.

IN: Steele as Captain

OUT: Ross as Captain

All that said, I like the suggestion of Marsh as a pinch hit ruckman or Howard for that matter. There are options, what the season does not allow are games gifted to the higher priced players.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Mon 22 Jun 2020 10:10am Collingwood were just too good IMO, but great for this young team to get a smack in the face as to what the level required is.

Plenty poor performances, so no baby with bathwater, that said Need to consider the opposition.

Richmond go with 1 ruck and likely will swap Saldo for Nank,

Out: Ryder
In : Battle ( to back up ruck if needed or could use Marsh )

Under pressure:

Long - while much talk about his drive the last 2 weeks teams have targeted his player as his defensive side isn't good enough. Will keep his spot but needs to be a 2 way player.
Hind - His role means he needs to be an impact player, deserves another chance but needs to grab it
Lonie - small forward a tough gig and perhaps Butler has shown him up a little by playing so well but again more impact at contests.

Like I said plenty of poor players this week because opposition pressure up another level . Richmond on the rebound after the media starting to question their motivation - doesn't get any bigger test than this.
young in terms of playing together, not in age IMO.

[33] Ben Paton, 21YO
[44] Callum Wilkie 24 YO
[2] Jake Carlisle 28 YO

[21] Ben Long, 22YO
[20] Dougal Howard 24 YO
[11] Hunter Clark 21 YO

[8] Bradley Hill 26 YO
[4] Jade Gresham, 22 YO
[15] Jack Billings 24 YO

[10] Dan Hannebery, 29 YO
[43] Jonathon Marsh, 24 YO
[3] Zak Jones 25YO

[18] Paddy Ryder, 32 YO
[28] Tim Membrey, 25 YO
[16] Dan Butler 25 YO

[19] Rowan Marshall, 24 YO
[9] Jack Steele, 24 YO
[13] Jack Lonie 23 YO

[1] Nick Coffield 20 YO
[6] Sebastian Ross 26 YO
[12] Max King, 19 YO
[40] Nick Hind 25 YO

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Not sure why some still want to preservere with Dunstan Sinclair and Kent - they ain't the answer - we have seen it time and time again

Let's blood some youth - give the fans something to get excited about

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Mon 22 Jun 2020 5:39pm Care factor has dropped considerably , has shown everyone how incapable the side can be.

Honestly didnt see that coming, I knew the skunks were good and tipped them for the Corana cup..but wow...we stank.

Back to fishing for me.. spare the heart ache.

Signed Mr Glass half empty...(for good reason)
I agree but the sad thing is that the club continue to believe that they are on the right path. If Gags and Satan continue trading our early picks for players that are over 25 we are f***ed.

(M)ake (S)t Kilda (S)elf (S)ustainable
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Savage in for Ryder

Geary for Hind if available

saintbob
SS Life Member

Out: Lonie,Ross, Hind and Marsh

In: Webster, Battle, Langlands and either Geary if fit or Bytel.

Wilkie Howard Coffield
Webster Carlisle Paton
Billings Clark Hill
Butler Battle Gresham
Ryder King Membrey

Marshall, Steele, Jones

Hannebery, Langlands, Long, Geary/Langlands
Last edited by saintbob on Wed 24 Jun 2020 12:10am, edited 1 time in total.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Mon 22 Jun 2020 2:45pm Marsh, Hind, Ross out.

Battle, Geary, Dunstan in.
The Marsh experiment was a bomb. Battle should have played against Collingwood and must be in against Richmond

I reckon one of JB, Gresh or Sebby should be dropped but whether it happens or not is a different matter

maybe even drop RoMa to make a statement and put everyone on notice

I'd like to see Jimmy Webster plus Gears playing and we need all our quick guys playing like Hind to tag their mosquito fleet.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Tue 23 Jun 2020 7:35am
Beno88 wrote: Mon 22 Jun 2020 2:45pm Marsh, Hind, Ross out.

Battle, Geary, Dunstan in.
Sebby ...hmmmm

I reckon one of JB, Gresh or Sebby should be dropped but whether it happens or not is a different matter

maybe even drop RoMa to make a statement and put everyone on notice

I'd like to see Jimmy Webster, Gears and Battle playing and we need all our quick guys playing like Hind to tag their mosquito fleet.
It's interesting listening to fans discuss the game like it's a normal season, how does a coach drop a player and bring in a player who hasn't played a game for points at any level since August last year. And how does a coach dropp multiple players like is constantly being discussed since our loss to the Pies and bring in multiple players who haven't kicked a ball in anger since August last year. And what a joke it would be if the coach selected Bytel, a player who hasn't even played a game of AFL or VFL yet here we are listening to fans argue the case for Bytel to play. If Bytel was to get a game this year it would further highlight just how much this years comp lacks integrity.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Ratts mentioned in his presser that Seb and Steel didn't get much of the ball- sort of indicates me in a roundabout way that he was disappointed in their efforts.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Mon 22 Jun 2020 6:27pm
I'm not sure Richmond really do subscribe to that theory. They won the 2019 Grand Final playing two rucks against one. I do support horses for courses & obviously RoMa is our future but anyone who watched last Saturday knows that Collingwood's clearance advantage came when Grundy was against RoMa.

I don't believe we can put a line through Ryder from Saturday's game but a similarly insipid performance from our mids should ensure a shake up. Poor disposal, lack of contest, minimal tackling & poor each way running. Hold your head up Jack Steele, the others should donate their match fee to the homeless.

All that said, I like the suggestion of Marsh as a pinch hit ruckman or Howard for that matter. There are options, what the season does not allow are games gifted to the higher priced players.
Agree totally with dropping Seb Ross, he has not elevated his game beyond "fair average" and has never become the dynamic impact midfield player that this team is crying out for.

Unfortunately Jack Steele won't be named captain while he is out of the leadership group, so I would give it to Bradley Hill who has the respect of the players and the ability to motivate them, plus he leads by example, unlike either Geary or Ross.

My changes for the game against the Tigers:

Dunstan for Ross
Parker for Hind
Batlle for Marsh

The game against Collingwood was an aberration, they played premiership football and the Saints did well to hold them out for just 6 points in the 2nd half, being behind by 38 at 1/2 time.

Ryder and Marshall should remain, they give added height in attack and the combo worked very well in the 1st 2 games.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Tue 23 Jun 2020 10:18am

Agree totally with dropping Seb Ross, he has not elevated his game beyond "fair average" and has never become the dynamic impact midfield player that this team is crying out for.

Unfortunately Jack Steele won't be named captain while he is out of the leadership group, so I would give it to Bradley Hill who has the respect of the players and the ability to motivate them, plus he leads by example, unlike either Geary or Ross.

Dunstan for Ross
Parker for Hind
Batlle for Marsh

The game against Collingwood was an aberration, they played premiership football and the Saints did well to hold them out for just 6 points in the 2nd half, being behind by 38 at 1/2 time.

Ryder and Marshall should remain, they give added height in attack and the combo worked very well in the 1st 2 games.
Yeah drop Sebby, there are truck loads of AFL ready players playing for Sandy just primed to step into his position. Seb has had 3 hitouts for points since August last year, how many guys have had more match conditioning than that since last August.

FFS.

Harves Man
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Mon 22 Jun 2020 1:05pm
samoht wrote: Mon 22 Jun 2020 12:32pm Anyway, I don't think the pinch hitter role is such a big deal, if Marshall rucks 90% plus of the time.
Grundy rucks 95% of the time for Collingwood.

I mean, Jason Blake was our main ruckman at one stage - at 189cm, and we benefited from his around-the-ground work - and it hasn't come to this, now.

Out: Marsh, Ryder
In: Battle, Dunstan

Ten per cent is a big deal. Footy is very much a game of momentum and it starts in the middle. Can’t afford to allow any advantage to the opposition, even for a few minutes.

As for Blake, he was a very competitive, versatile and underrated player. Had a good leap on him and would run rings around many of our current squad.
Totally agree - very underated player, in my humble opinion.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

I’m still staggered that Luke Dunstan is out of the team. If ever we needed some grunt in the middle it was last Saturday. At various times we saw amongst others Marsh and Membrey in the centre square. Effectively playing a man down at the centre bounce.

I thought last Saturday our wingers were completely smashed by Phillips Sidebottom etc. No accountability it seemed from Hill Hannebery Billings etc

Hill got some cheap possessions in defence but was completely ineffective in creating opportunities for our forwards.

I would play Long as our defensive forward (his two hits on Adams were sensational)

Dunstan Webster and Geary (if fit) come in. Out Hind Ryder and Hunter Clark. I am not sure what role he was playing on Saturday but seemed to be completely outplayed wherever he was and no apparent accountability

Fqf

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
bergsone
SS Life Member

Did not see the collingwood game,lucky i guess,so what chance Parker comes in,maybe gives us the spark which wasnt there.Not too sure makinglots of changes to a side that hasnt played much together,and lets face it not many teams have shown consistent footy yet

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Devilhead wrote: Mon 22 Jun 2020 7:14pm Not sure why some still want to preservere with Dunstan Sinclair and Kent - they ain't the answer - we have seen it time and time again

Agree. These 3 have shown no signs that they can be best 22, they are purely depth players.
They can play a role against a very poor team, but go missing against top 4 teams.

Any time we've been on a roll and doing well, they contribute, but they've never driven, just been passengers

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Tue 23 Jun 2020 2:18pm
Devilhead wrote: Mon 22 Jun 2020 7:14pm Not sure why some still want to preservere with Dunstan Sinclair and Kent - they ain't the answer - we have seen it time and time again

Agree. These 3 have shown no signs that they can be best 22, they are purely depth players.
They can play a role against a very poor team, but go missing against top 4 teams.

Any time we've been on a roll and doing well, they contribute, but they've never driven, just been passengers
I thought Sinclair had some class about him, Dunstan some grunt and Kent...I have no idea.. agility?

I think we have a different reality on a week to week basis, and the likelihood that players can maintain a stable mindset and commitment - let alone a GT or Ross Lyon “bubble” - kind of mentality seems remote, unimaginable.

So what does this mean at selection and accountability? We all know the ideals of “badge and honour” , but reality means we have to maintain a veneer of formal consistency even though we know underneath, players cannot be expected to take the season seriously 100% of the time...how can they when it is a moment to moment proposition? The one thing that might convince them to work harder is that recruiters will take note of their attitude drops.

We as spectators are gonna see all kinds of ‘bad patches’, incredibly poor focus, lack of application...Gary Ablett missing from 40 out, dropped marks, that incredibly bad punch in from the North player when a certain goal was in the offing. I think it is going to favour the old soldier type of players, the established players rather than the artists and imports but I am just guessing,

What about Nathan Brown?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 23 Jun 2020 12:00pm

Dunstan for Ross
Parker for Hind
Batlle for Marsh

Yeah drop Sebby, there are truck loads of AFL ready players playing for Sandy just primed to step into his position. Seb has had 3 hitouts for points since August last year, how many guys have had more match conditioning than that since last August.

FFS.
You could say that about any player in 2020. Do you not make changes just because the entire list hasn't played every week?

Every player bar Geary, Battle and Sinclair played on Saturday.

Ross is simply out of form, he may not be dropped, but Dunstan or Sinclair could easily step into his spot.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Tue 23 Jun 2020 3:05pm

Dunstan for Ross
Parker for Hind
Batlle for Marsh

FFS.
You could say that about any player in 2020. Do you not make changes just because the entire list hasn't played every week?

Ross is simply out of form, he may not be dropped, but Dunstan or Sinclair could easily step into his spot.
I reckon there is as much chance of dropping Ross as there is of me being the replacement.

What I'd like to see assuming Geary isn't fit...
Ryder for Battle
Hind for Sinclair
Marsh for Parker

Battle and Sinclair are stiff as they didn't play the scratch match and therefore missed valuable match practice, this could count against them in selection.

What I think we'll see....
Hind for Kent

Paton Howard Wilkie
Long Carslile Clark
Hill Hannebery Jones
Billings Battle Gresham
Butler King Membrey

Marshall Steele Ross

Coffield Sinclair Parker Lonie

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 23 Jun 2020 3:48pm

Dunstan for Ross
Parker for Hind
Batlle for Marsh

FFS.

I reckon there is as much chance of dropping Ross as there is of me being the replacement.

Ryder for Battle
Hind for Sinclair
Marsh for Parker

Battle and Sinclair are stiff as they didn't play the scratch match and therefore missed valuable match practice, this could count against them in selection.

Hind for Kent

Paton Howard Wilkie
Long Carslile Clark
Hill Hannebery Jones
Billings Battle Gresham
Butler King Membrey

Marshall Steele Ross

Agree. People suggesting Seb should get dropped in the normal competition are clueless but to suggest he gets dropped in the Asterisk cup is taking the piss.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 23 Jun 2020 4:59pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 23 Jun 2020 3:48pm

Dunstan for Ross
Parker for Hind
Batlle for Marsh

FFS.

Ryder for Battle
Hind for Sinclair
Marsh for Parker

Hind for Kent

Paton Howard Wilkie
Long Carslile Clark
Hill Hannebery Jones
Billings Battle Gresham
Butler King Membrey

Marshall Steele Ross

Agree. People suggesting Seb should get dropped in the normal competition are clueless but to suggest he gets dropped in the Asterisk cup is taking the piss.
f***. We agree.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Dunstan for Ross
Parker for Hind
Batlle for Marsh

FFS.
That's the way S*K*. Nothing like being a keyboard contradiction, giving input on a football season you don't rate - why would "Sebby" playing or not matter to you?

Is he one of your "Gap Year" players? If so, I do not want him playing for the club & taking our money at all. But I doubt he is, in fact I doubt anyone is.

Are you taking a "Gap Year" from your work? I'm not, I can't afford to & I suspect many players & club officials cannot either.

Good to have your input*** though.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Hang on, so in a thread about changes for the next game, some out of form players can be suggested and that’s ok. But if you suggest another out of form player you’re labeled clueless? What’s the point of the thread then?

I completely disagree with those saying Ryder should be dropped, but that’s ok, each to their own, they’re not clueless.

I don’t think Ross will be dropped, but if it was up to me, his Round 1 & 3 efforts don’t place him in my best 22. At his best, he’s a gun, no question, but he is a million miles from that currently.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Battle In

Nee!
To the top
SS Life Member

The North Melbourne game troubled me because we were unable to match their “toughness” when it mattered - and this happens against other sides as well

My view remains that to really improve we need 2 more class midfielders who generate

To me none of Ross, Steele or Dunstan generate

We need players in there that need to be tackled not players lauded because they tackle

The fact that these 3 kicked just 13 goals from 66 games last year is telling, at least to me

Then we get to our “small” contingent, noting Butler is cemented

But Lonie and Hind are not to the standard meaning Butler and Gresham are the options named in the forward 6

That leaves a few gaps, replacing one of Ross or Steele (to me Ross) then Lonie and Hind

We are building a side so need to not go back to Geary - because Clark, Coffield, Long and now Paton are the future in defence and need to be developed

We have attributes but there are still deficiencies

Plus the likes of Membrey not thriving with Marshall and King is a problem

We need Membrey, Hannebery, Hill to stand up

Just for starters

A win can sometimes mask

Losses are where you assess and refocus

Simon Templar
Club Player

samoht wrote: Mon 22 Jun 2020 3:07pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 22 Jun 2020 2:52pm
Clearances from lost hit outs are a misleading stat IMO. How many of them are good clearances?
Well, there was one “ beautiful”double-handed hitout by Ryder to a Bulldog player who was well in the clear, which resulted in a Doggie goal. The Bulldog player took full advantage of it.
You’re obviously not referring to that one.
Struth, you’re a hard man. Paddy was recruited as mentor for Marshall and a back up experienced big man. He is a superb tap ruckman and OK he missed one....can’t get them all, be serious! And as a forward, same as our other struggling ‘big’ forwards, the delivery to these fellows hasn’t been as we’d/they’d have liked.....yet! We are a work in progress....only a few games into season with very new team.

Go you good things....!!!