Nicky Winmar suing Sam Newman and co-hosts for attempt to revise historical moment

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mcadam05
Club Player

Re: Nicky Winmar suing Sam Newman and co-hosts for attempt to revise historical moment

I have a Question whos paying for the lawyer's ?? Being in BLM they couldnt give a toss about black people all they care how much coin they can get out of Gulity white folk , im not saying its Nicky but theres someone in his ear

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Nicky Winmar suing Sam Newman and co-hosts for attempt to revise historical moment

mcadam05 wrote: Sat 27 Jun 2020 12:35am
BarryGrogan wrote: Sat 27 Jun 2020 12:25am “They embraced and brought their heads together, and Nicky was repeatedly saying in that euphoric moment of celebration, ‘I’m black and I’m proud to be black, I’m black and proud to be black, I’m black and proud to be black’, to Gilbert as they embraced. So I don’t know if I can be any more specific about what happened.”

Ludbey said the explanation offered by the trio stemmed from an inaccurate observation made by then-Collingwood captain Tony Shaw, with another photographer being overruled by his editors when explaining the context of the moment.

“Unfortunately when he went back to the Sunday Herald Sun, his editors didn’t listen to him, and decided to go with the Tony Shaw interpretation,” Ludbey said.
Maybe they didnt listen too him because he didnt work for the Sunday Herald Sun he worked for the Sunday Age🤔
And maybe Nicky didn't repeat it after the game in the dressing room to the radio or newspaper journos which I think is totally plausible and that's why Sheehan thinks what he thinks.

Regardless, these guys are dinosaurs.

and Newman went to Geelong Grammar. Enough said.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 9:34pm
BarryGrogan wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 9:24pm
Ghost Like wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 8:58pm

That said, I believe Nicky's gesture at the time was about the guts shown in front of a ridiculously hostile crowd. Highly likely brought on by a racist crowd but I believe he did reference guts, not colour in the aftermath.
WTF?
If that was the case, why the Court action. Don’t try to white wash it. It was a stand against racism. Who do you stand with? I stand with Nicky.
I'm not sure either of you understood what I wrote, don't let your red mist detract from what you are both obviously passionate about.

It has become a poignant image of one man's stand, one man's culture, against abhorrent treatment and abuse by the perennially ignorant. At the time it was reported to be about guts and courage.

Nicky is a quiet, proud man who simply wanted to play football and be recognised for that, I've no doubt he was signifying "I'm black and proud, f@ck you Collingwood!"

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 27 Jun 2020 10:00am
happy feet wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 9:34pm
BarryGrogan wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 9:24pm

That said, I believe Nicky's gesture at the time was about the guts shown in front of a ridiculously hostile crowd. Highly likely brought on by a racist crowd but I believe he did reference guts, not colour in the aftermath.
WTF?
If that was the case, why the Court action. Don’t try to white wash it. It was a stand against racism. Who do you stand with? I stand with Nicky.
I'm not sure either of you understood what I wrote, don't let your red mist detract from what you are both obviously passionate about.

It has become a poignant image of one man's stand, one man's culture, against abhorrent treatment and abuse by the perennially ignorant. At the time it was reported to be about guts and courage.

Nicky is a quiet, proud man who simply wanted to play football and be recognised for that, I've no doubt he was signifying "I'm black and proud, f@ck you Collingwood!"
What you said was that you believe Nicky's gesture at the time was about the guts shown in front of a ridiculously hostile crowd.

How, or why do you believe that when the guy that actually did it says he did it for other reasons?

Are you saying he's a liar? Or you know something that he doesn't?

That's what my WTF was about. That comment just seemed illogical to me.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I was going on what was said and reported immediately after the game. If he had only pointed to the jumper, it would have been a statement of doing it for the club.

Lifting the jumper and pointing to his solar plexus, suggests guts. Guts in the face of despicable racist fuelled vitriol.

I'm glad it is the symbol it is today. I am just saying at the time it was reported as showing guts. At the time Nicky did not say anything to the contrary, that, rightfully, came later. That is my recollection, I have no motive to think one way or the other.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 27 Jun 2020 10:27am I was going on what was said and reported immediately after the game. If he had only pointed to the jumper, it would have been a statement of doing it for the club.

Lifting the jumper and pointing to his solar plexus, suggests guts. Guts in the face of despicable racist fuelled vitriol.

I'm glad it is the symbol it is today. I am just saying at the time it was reported as showing guts. At the time Nicky did not say anything to the contrary, that, rightfully, came later. That is my recollection, I have no motive to think one way or the other.
It was the missing 'd' on 'believe' that made me confused.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Sat 27 Jun 2020 10:40am
Ghost Like wrote: Sat 27 Jun 2020 10:27am I was going on what was said and reported immediately after the game. If he had only pointed to the jumper, it would have been a statement of doing it for the club.

No, it wasn't missing. The word "did" put it in the past and time stamp my comment.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 27 Jun 2020 10:47am
BarryGrogan wrote: Sat 27 Jun 2020 10:40am

No, it wasn't missing. The word "did" put it in the past and time stamp my comment.
?
Ghost Like wrote: Sat 27 Jun 2020 10:47am That said, I believe Nicky's gesture at the time was about the guts shown in front of a ridiculously hostile crowd.
Anyway, I know what you mean.

To the top
SS Life Member

McAllister indeed hosted the President’s Luncheon that day at Victoria Park

Along with others I was in the St Kilda rooms after the game

Media and media headline acts can say what they want - but, as I contributed earlier, facts are facts

The racial abuse directed at Winmar and McAdam from over the boundary fence was described by both players

As I recall Allan McAlister never apologised on behalf of Collingwood Football Club for the racist behaviour of the Club’s supporters

Now Collingwood is embroiled in yet another racist episode - not unsurprisingly

saynta
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 8:38pm Go your hardest Nicky. You find Eddie Ego will be up to his eyeballs in this due to the ongoing Collingwood racist claims. Why else would this be in the media at this time.

Stand proud Nicky, Newman, Scott and Collingwood are a disgrace.
Quite possibly happy feet. Interestingly this should all be on public record immediately following the game & the weeks after.

I was at that game with friends from Mauritius who are mad St Kilda supporters. What they copped during the game was disgraceful, it was enough to make my wife stop supporting Collingwood and begin a long fervent support of St Kilda. The crowd was feral!

That was my memory also.I remember it being reported at one stage that that was Cuz said he was doing. But in truth only Cuz knows and I hope like hell his version proves to be correct.
Last edited by saynta on Sat 27 Jun 2020 11:54am, edited 1 time in total.

The Peanut
Club Player

Just what I thought - so many posters would rather stand with Sam Newman than their own greats by conjuring up minced words, twisting and turning in every direction to throw s*** in Nicky's direction. The reason why I stopped contributing to this forum a long time ago.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Peanut wrote: Sat 27 Jun 2020 11:24am Just what I thought - so many posters would rather stand with Sam Newman than their own greats by conjuring up minced words, twisting and turning in every direction to throw s*** in Nicky's direction. The reason why I stopped contributing to this forum a long time ago.
Buushit. I love cuz. Actually I have a personally signed copy of that photo hanging on the wall. Love what Nicky is saying to be true ad only he knows. I was just posting my memories. Maybe the newspaper articles at the time stick in my mind. I don't know but have always remembered them and been slightly troubled.So stop with your f****** fake outrage.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: Sat 27 Jun 2020 11:15am McAllister indeed hosted the President’s Luncheon that day at Victoria Park

Along with others I was in the St Kilda rooms after the game

Media and media headline acts can say what they want - but, as I contributed earlier, facts are facts

The racial abuse directed at Winmar and McAdam from over the boundary fence was described by both players

As I recall Allan McAlister never apologised on behalf of Collingwood Football Club for the racist behaviour of the Club’s supporters

Now Collingwood is embroiled in yet another racist episode - not unsurprisingly
I was at a match Collingwood played in at Manuka oval many years ago and clearly remember two unkempt pricks dressed in filthy old Collingwood jumpers making derogatory racist remarks about their own indigenous player to the effect that he should be grateful they even allow him to wear their colours. Outrageous, and I was offended at the time.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

The Peanut wrote: Sat 27 Jun 2020 11:24am Just what I thought - so many posters would rather stand with Sam Newman than their own greats by conjuring up minced words, twisting and turning in every direction to throw s*** in Nicky's direction. The reason why I stopped contributing to this forum a long time ago.
Interesting that you stopped contributing yet continue reading. Explains a lot in relation to your logic and how you deduced "so many posters would rather stand with Sam Newman".

In the immortal word of Harry Hoo, "Amazing."

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 10:22pm White rich people have always felt that blacks should know their place,, pull their heads in, and take on the criticism as feedback and an opportunity to improve themselves and act like us whites.

We all know that whites are more human. How could the savages even understand what they were feeling?

Blacks should understand by now (after 200 years of the master-servant relationship) that whites are smarter and therefore these whites are obviously more entitled to their opinion even if it is a blatant lie

The good thing is that I believe the racist majority ( and older generation boomers like Newman) only have a limited time here on earth
Most of these blokes didn’t have a black fella or chinaman or curry or arab bloke share a desk next to them at Grammar school...unlike the younger generation in the last 20-30 years here in Australia

I also have faith in the younger generation and believe they’ll have different attitudes to their great grand fathers and their ancestors and they will dominate our media, our corporate sectors, and our parliaments.
Now there is a racist post of I have ever seen one. f***, so many generalisations and offensive racist and ageist comments without any evidence to back up even one of them. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 27 Jun 2020 12:09pm
Scollop wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 10:22pm White rich people have always felt that blacks should know their place,, pull their heads in, and take on the criticism as feedback and an opportunity to improve themselves and act like us whites.

We all know that whites are more human. How could the savages even understand what they were feeling?

Blacks should understand by now (after 200 years of the master-servant relationship) that whites are smarter and therefore these whites are obviously more entitled to their opinion even if it is a blatant lie

The good thing is that I believe the racist majority ( and older generation boomers like Newman) only have a limited time here on earth
Most of these blokes didn’t have a black fella or chinaman or curry or arab bloke share a desk next to them at Grammar school...unlike the younger generation in the last 20-30 years here in Australia

I also have faith in the younger generation and believe they’ll have different attitudes to their great grand fathers and their ancestors and they will dominate our media, our corporate sectors, and our parliaments.
Now there is a racist post of I have ever seen one. f***, so many generalisations and offensive racist and ageist comments without any evidence to back up even one of them. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
The evidence is in the DNA of your ancestors and the DNA of Australian society pre Malcolm Fraser/pre Whitlam and pre 1969.

The evidence is in the blood that was spilt and the murders and the genocide

The evidence is in the lack of recognition of the true history of colonisation and the fake history curriculums at Grammar Schools when you were a student

The evidence is the unquestionably racist laws that your forefathers and your brethren created to segregate and disadvantage first nations people

The evidence is there if you delve back into your memory bank and capture some images of the Australia you grew up in

...and the evidence is still there when you visit some of the true-blue aussie towns where they hang on to the values of their colonial past and they believe with all their heart that Pauline is the only person that truely understands them

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 27 Jun 2020 12:27pm

The evidence is in the DNA of your ancestors and the DNA of Australian society pre Malcolm Fraser/pre Whitlam and pre 1969.

The evidence is in the lack of recognition of the true history of colonisation and the fake history curriculums at Grammar Schools when you were a student

The evidence is the unquestionably racist laws that your forefathers and your brethren created to segregate and disadvantage first nations people

The evidence is there if you delve back into your memory bank and capture some images of the Australia you grew up in

...and the evidence is still there when you visit some of the true-blue aussie towns where they hang on to the values of their colonial past and they believe with all their heart that Pauline is the only person that truely understands them
You have warped racist views and you spew forth s*** with nothing no back it up. You are empty. :roll: :roll: :roll: DNA of my ancestors. What f****** utter rubbish. And I didn't go to a grammar school.

And for what it's worth in my opinion.you are just as ignorant as that imbecile Hansen. Your previous posts on other threads show you up for what you really are. An intolerant schoolboy.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 27 Jun 2020 1:42pm

You have warped racist views and you spew forth s*** with nothing no back it up. You are empty. :roll: :roll: :roll: DNA of my ancestors. What f****** utter rubbish. And I didn't go to a grammar school.

And for what it's worth in my opinion.you are just as ignorant as that imbecile Hansen. Your previous posts on other threads show you up for what you really are. An intolerant schoolboy.
You’re right. I have never tolerated racist behaviour, racist humour or any views or opinions which denigrate other people’s culture

“Your previous posts show you up for what you really are“

I like that line. I think I’ll use it at some stage if you don’t mind

Btw...I’m sure the Catholic curriculum wasn’t any better
Last edited by Scollop on Sat 27 Jun 2020 2:02pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 27 Jun 2020 1:56pm

You’re right. I have never tolerated racist behaviour, racist humour or any views or opinions which denigrate other people’s culture

I like that line. I think I’ll use it if you don’t mind
Those left wing bleeding heart cancel culture teachers have really screwed you up haven't that.

You don't even realise your coments are racist . You are not worth replying to,

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Collingwood supporters were shockingly racist against all indigenous players back then.
I well remember a game against them at the MCG.
We were sitting in the AFL Members section amidst many Collingwood supporters. The filth that spewed from their mouths during the afternoon directed at Nicky et al was unbelievable. I had to move myself and family after being threatened with violence for objecting to what they were yelling.
The day after I sent a letter to McAllister about it - and received a reply from their operations manager that 'they couldn't control what their fans said/did'.
When I pointed out that their captain had made public statements that he could/would say/do anything to 'put' an opponent óff his game' and nobody from Collingwood stood up and said that was wrong, that it gave their supporters the 'green light' to do likewise.
I got no response from them after that.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 27 Jun 2020 2:01pm
Scollop wrote: Sat 27 Jun 2020 1:56pm

I like that line. I think I’ll use it if you don’t mind
Those left wing bleeding heart cancel culture teachers have really screwed you up haven't that.

You don't even realise your coments are racist . You are not worth replying to,
You are offended by the truth are you?

You want to deny the first 150-200 years of Australian colonisation do you?

I didn’t directly call you a racist and I didn’t say that 100% of white Australia in the 60’s was racist. We thankfully had change because there were people who realised how unjust our apartheid laws were. Wehad change in our society since 1969 but there is a long way to go

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Back in the cave man days, you could kill all the people in the settlements around you and back in the Viking days there was no issue with one tribe slaughtering another so they could survive and prosper. It was noble wasn’t it

The Greek, and Roman, and Ottoman and British Empire were built on similar machiavellian principles. Maybe us left wing bleeding hearts are slightly more advanced humans and a touch more civilised than you right wing capitalists

Darth Vader
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sat 27 Jun 2020 11:53am
    Buushit. I love cuz. Actually I have a personally signed copy of that photo hanging on the wall. Love what Nicky is saying to be true ad only he knows. I was just posting my memories. Maybe the newspaper articles at the time stick in my mind. I don't know but have always remembered them and been slightly troubled.So stop with your f****** fake outrage.
    My recollections are exactly the same as Saynta’s. Ridiculous to say this means we stand with Sam Newman rather than Nicky. It just means we’re stating our recollections honestly rather than lying about them in order to suit the narrative. And it doesn’t mean we’re denying the shocking racism on the day or not supporting all the good work Nicky is currently doing.

Scollop
    Saintsational Legend

The following is my personal opinion and I don’t doubt your recollections

You are stating your recollections honestly, but I honestly don’t think I believe what the editors of those papers wrote at that time.

You have to remember that a commercial enterprise has to always cater to and understand their audience

It’s a bit like the Australian history curriculums written in the 60’s. I just think that our society back then was not willing to confront an ‘honest‘ and uncomfortable truth.

fugazi
    Saintsational Legend

Why would you raise your jumper exposing your skin , which you've just been racially abused about for a game a football, only to make a comment about your guts??
    Come on!

Nee!