Should we trade Snake Carlisle at the end of the year?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

Should we trade Snake Carlisle at the end of the year?

My answer is it depends what we are offered. If we could get a pick in the early 20's I would say yes. This is also dependent on Austin getting his body right and playing at least 10 games this year.

If it works and we get pick 20, we take that and our first pick to the draft and grab one inside mid and one outside mid.

Thoughts?

(M)ake (S)t Kilda (S)elf (S)ustainable
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Should we trade Snake Carlisle at the end of the year?

Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Fri 03 Jul 2020 9:34pm My answer is it depends what we are offered. If we could get a pick in the early 20's I would say yes. This is also dependent on Austin getting his body right and playing at least 10 games this year.

If it works and we get pick 20, we take that and our first pick to the draft and grab one inside mid and one outside mid.

Thoughts?
You gotta be joking. f*** me. The season has only just started ffs.. :roll:

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

No!!

There aren’t too many 198cm replacements out there. He reads the ball well and he generally makes good decisions and is elite by hand and foot

If we play finals this year and if we play finals next year he will be invaluable. He loves a challenge and he has regained his love for footy. I reckon if he is lucky enough to play in a grand final with St Kilda he might do a Brian Lake and win a Norm Smith

Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

saynta wrote: Fri 03 Jul 2020 9:57pm
Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Fri 03 Jul 2020 9:34pm My answer is it depends what we are offered. If we could get a pick in the early 20's I would say yes. This is also dependent on Austin getting his body right and playing at least 10 games this year.

Thoughts?
You wouldn't accept pick 20? What about pick 15?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Would you trade in your brain ...if you could

I reckon go for it

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Fri 03 Jul 2020 10:05pm
saynta wrote: Fri 03 Jul 2020 9:57pm

Thoughts?
You wouldn't accept pick 20? What about pick 15?
wot potato cake said.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Nope.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I would be inclined to keep him

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Thoughts?
On a separate note and I say this respectfully without a hint of a dig

Have pointed this out before, my observation of your attitude towards list management over a long period is that you have a tendency to want to trade our better players for picks and it doesn’t seem to stop.

Now Carlisle has had a rough two years but seems to be getting back to the type of footy he can play and his good footy is... well, good.

So why trade a good player to draft a player with less of a chance to be good or better

The strategy is flawed IMO.

At some point... you have to stop the wheeling and dealing and let ur good players play good football

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

...especially if we are a chance to play finals

Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Fri 03 Jul 2020 10:07pm Would you trade in your brain ...if you could

I reckon go for it
Thanks.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

If you want an intelligent discussion....or if you want attention...Get your timing right

Wait for Jake to have a couple of shockers at the end of the year ( which I reckon won’t happen) and then start this thread

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Be kind people. I'm sure it's a question list managers ask about plenty of players any time of year. Just because some don't want to think about it doesn't mean it's a bad question.

Who knows what will happen with Roberton. Brown might retire. Who knows how Joyce, Clavarino and Austin will come on this year without any games. Carlisle is on my keep list, unless someone rapidly develops beyond him, we recruit someone instantly better, or another club throws gold picks at us.

If you're asking would I take pick 15 right now, nope. End of the year who knows?

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

Munga wrote: Sat 04 Jul 2020 12:12am Be kind people. I'm sure it's a question list managers ask about plenty of players any time of year. Just because some don't want to think about it doesn't mean it's a bad question.

Who knows what will happen with Roberton. Brown might retire. Who knows how Joyce, Clavarino and Austin will come on this year without any games. Carlisle is on my keep list, unless someone rapidly develops beyond him, we recruit someone instantly better, or another club throws gold picks at us.

If you're asking would I take pick 15 right now, nope. End of the year who knows?
If someone gave me pick 15 for Carlisle I would take it without hesitation. Logan Austin will be as good as Jake and is younger. With pick 15 and our own pick (10ish), we could recruit 2 young gun mids or maybe trade for De Goey.

And thank you for pointing out it is a Legit question. It is an educated/strategic gamble that I would take. Provided that we got pick 20 or better. If the pick offered was worse than 20 then I wouldn't do it.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Thoughts?
What pick would it take to convince you to trade Austin? Serious question?

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

From afar, the far east, in radioland, I rank him among our five most valuable players.

1. Marshall
2. Membury
3. Steele
4. Carlisle
5. Billings

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Why did I suspect who created this thread & bugger me dead, I was correct. I believe the author is being deliberately mischievous in light of nothing else is causing angst.

It is threads like this that have people questioning the author's loyalties & motives.

Gershwin
Club Player

I’d take pick 15 for him. Nearly 29, injury prone and lacking the dash we require from CHB. Battle, Austin etc. waiting in the wings.
You have to give up something to get good young players into the club.

Wouldn’t take anything less than 20 though.

summertime and the living is easy ........
SuperDuper
Club Player

Thoughts?
a pick in the 20s and you say yes???
Wow..so we can pick up a Hugh Goddard?

I mean....picks in the 20s are a raffle. Carlisle is a gun. What do you want, the gun or the raffle ticket?

older saint
SS Life Member

No
Austin hasn't been able to secure a spot and the young kid drafted 2 years ago Claravino is either on a really slow burn, injury prone or a bust . Brown is in his 30's so NO

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The reality is that neither Austin nor Clav have even played games whilst Carlisle has been out injured or playing badly.

It’s fine to say that in your opinion is they will be fine but at this stage neither have even demonstrated that they’re good enough to even be in the top 22 let alone be as good or better.

Again it’s a flawed strategy.

IMO the trick is to trade players that aren’t established but may be able to get better (that you either don’t back or need) instead of players that are proven quantities.

Trading a proven commodity for an outside chance is a loser strategy

The reality is most 20+ picks don’t work out... you’re giving up more value then you’re getting more times than not

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Will Carlton consider trading Casboult at the end of the season. After all he got his pants pulled down the other night by.........oh, dear. Jake.

Nick / CityWest, I am beginning to understand why you torment people with your inane questions / statements online. You haven't got any friends you can ask face to face. They'd run like hell.

Saint supporter since '62
Moods
Saintsational Legend

With our history of drafting?? NO WAY! We could get a top 10 pick and I'd still say no. And I've been a fierce critic of Carlisle. But I'm not stupid and can see that FINALLY we have some height in our backline and can actually be competitive against some of these teams with the monster fwds. Howard and Carlisle are big men. I would love to see a bit more intensity from jake but feel that he's building his game after an injury riddled 2019 and stop start 2018.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Gershwin wrote: Sat 04 Jul 2020 11:06am I’d take pick 15 for him. Nearly 29, injury prone and lacking the dash we require from CHB. Battle, Austin etc. waiting in the wings.
You have to give up something to get good young players into the club.

Wouldn’t take anything less than 20 though.
It is an interesting question tho isn't it
In the long absence of Carlisle last year an absolute reject in Nathan Brown that we picked up for nothing played some pretty good games

Seeya
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Is Nick really Chris Pelcan in disguise. My view is that you don’t trade your good players for speculative draft picks.
We’ve finally got a team that is starting to play decent football. The last thing we’d want to do is lose one of our KPP. Especially if the back up plan is Austin.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.