The Adelaide game : Big Baromemeter Check

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

The Adelaide game : Big Baromemeter Check

As woeful as they were last year, we let them salvage some pride at our expense.
They play West Coast next and I really hope West Coast beat them by a few goals, because it will be a real dampener if we let them get over us again.

We absolutely need to win this one if we have really improved.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Adelaide game : Big Baromemeter Check

Can we beat Freo first?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

After watching a bit of their game, if we don't beat both Freo and Adelaide then we are in real trouble!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

The_Dud wrote: Mon 06 Jul 2020 4:19pm After watching a bit of their game, if we don't beat both Freo and Adelaide then we are in real trouble!
Agreed. Freo only won yesterday because they were mildly more interested in winning than Adelaide and only marginally less sh1t. Adelaide have zero idea how to move the ball from defence (and it's in there a lot!) - their transition is St Kilda-like under Cho (with an equally one dimensional slow midfield).

If we're a serious team - we need to frank our early season form with a couple of wins on the road first up. We lose Hanners this week but Lethlean said on SEN this morning that Zac will likely return. Freo likely to get Fyfe back.

Going out expecting to win now should be a non-negotiable. We've had a few good wins now - confidence should be building.

Go you red, black & white warriors
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Mon 06 Jul 2020 3:03pm Can we beat Freo first?
I hope so ;)

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

For some reason I feel the Freo game is just another game...of course a must win, but another game in this weird topsy-turvy season. The Adelaide game, on the other hand, feels like a real gutter brawl..they could pull out all stops because if they keep losing on this trajectory something is gonna happen. I hope that they show something against West Coast but not enough, and resign themselves to rebuilding. I wanna hear the magic rebuilding word from them, although this season is more suited for being a complete shootout, go for bust.

How I hate the 'rebuilding' word. Imagine all those times through 2013 - 2015 that the Geelongs, Hawthorns and any other ageing teams must have felt so relieved to know the Saints are 'rebuilding' when they played us.

I hope we never 'rebuild' again.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

The OP is right though.
This is not simply the type of match we always lose - it is THE game we always lose, and has been since 2012.
We were flying last year until we played the Crows at Docklands and they gave us a hiding when they really had no right to.
Later in the season the Crows were one of only a few losses we had after Ratten took over as coach late last season as well, and how did they beat us - same as they always do - EASILY.
It is always the same - their stars - and yes, they do have them - who got them into a Grand Final a few seasons ago - suddenly find form and absolutely thrash us.
They still have the nucleus of the players who got them there.
Sloane, The Crouch Brothers, Laird, Walker, and you can add in Tom Lynch and Fogarty, have absolute field days against us - even in our not so terrible seasons such as 2016 and '17.
I think the OP is spot on because if we can't beat the Crows this season - even over there - then we will do nothing this season, and we won;t beat the Crows again for the foreseeable future anywhere IMO.
BTW - we were the last team they have been able to beat.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Barome was a game used by Collective Minds that required Crows players to move T. Walker and his ears by way of a cart to prove their allegiance to his captaincy and to show his pitiful GF game was forgotten. The Big Baromemetre unfortunately showed a number of players rather disrespected the ears man. His ears were then apparently tied to a tree and required to listen to Dusty's Dad singing the Richmond team song in Maori and M. Ruscuito list players by salary. The AFL barometer (not to be confused) shows Saints high, Crows low - check. This altitude differential is forecast to continue into the mid 2020s. Check.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 06 Jul 2020 9:32pm Barome was a game used by Collective Minds that required Crows players to move T. Walker and his ears by way of a cart to prove their allegiance to his captaincy and to show his pitiful GF game was forgotten. The Big Baromemetre unfortunately showed a number of players rather disrespected the ears man. His ears were then apparently tied to a tree and required to listen to Dusty's Dad singing the Richmond team song in Maori and M. Ruscuito list players by salary. The AFL barometer (not to be confused) shows Saints high, Crows low - check. This altitude differential is forecast to continue into the mid 2020s. Check.

..ah ha..
so barome is 'beast' in French, which translates to chhkuot in Khmer which translates to crazy in Filipino!

It is possible that it is a barome barometer I was referring to. I think it should have an image of a slightly unhinged Frazer Gherig upon it.lol

But the skies will shake if we can't beat Adelaide. bloody hell...2012? Come on Saints.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Playing against Adelaide has always been tough for us (and also Sydney). For some reason we haven't matched up well against them. If we are going to get better as a side then we have to beat the likes of those two.

We always play well against Freo so I think we should win but playing up in Qld - who knows?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

the crows are playing with as much skill and passion as fitzroy in 96. beating them is no barometer of improvement. lose to them? unleash a nightmare of lovecraftian schlock horror.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Are the Saints a finals chance ?
The answer to this starts this week .
Not since Lyon was coach have team preformed consistently well interstate.
It will be more than a month before we are back home ( could be allot longer ) , so I hope we can continue our good form .
But I wouldn't be surprised if we lost .

In red white and black from 73
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Mon 06 Jul 2020 10:47pm the crows are playing with as much skill and passion as fitzroy in 96. beating them is no barometer of improvement. lose to them? unleash a nightmare of lovecraftian schlock horror.
Crazy kid... :D

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
carn_sainter
Club Player

I think the freo game is even more important and indicative of where we're at.

This is the sort of game we always drop.

We have momentum, we have a chance to solidify a strong ladder position, we're playing outside Melbourne, we'll be favourites

We always drop these. To play well and win will suggest a level of belief and mental fortitude that hasn't been there since Lenny Hayes retired

ace
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Mon 06 Jul 2020 3:03pm Can we beat Freo first?
If you insist.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Mon 06 Jul 2020 10:47pm the crows are playing with as much skill and passion as fitzroy in 96. beating them is no barometer of improvement. lose to them? unleash a nightmare of lovecraftian schlock horror.
The Saints were the last Victorian team to lose to Fitzroy btw.

The Crows in Adelaide is a real danger game - but I am sure if we play the way we have this year - blowing teams out of the water in the first quarter - we should win.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Crows are really really average at the moment.

They’ve got the consigned to the spoon stench about them... feels like the players feel it based on how they play

Personally am more worried about Freo

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Four points is four points, I know, and on paper Freo are marginally better. But as a supporter, I would rather take the four off Adelaide if forced to choose. I checked the record..2011 since we've won...and April 3, 2009 since we won in Adelaide! If we get up over Freo and let them get us in Adelaide...blood will boil! If we get done by Freo we will be bummed but then if we smash them to a pulp in Adelaide there is a sense that we just have a few growing pains, as we sort out positions. (and we can brush away that stinky 40 pt loss to Collingwood too) If we lose both, it is not even worth mentioning.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I’d be planning a huge sledging session based on the infamous camp and that article the other day from the age.

I’d be really getting into their heads and give them verbal torment.

It’s not racist/sexist/personal type attack so within the AFL BLM rulebook.

Would love to see that club totally loose their shyte over what we say to them on field. Those arseholes stole the 1997 flag off us and it’s time to kick a dog when it’s down.

No mercy.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

saintspremiers wrote: Tue 07 Jul 2020 9:18am I’d be planning a huge sledging session based on the infamous camp and that article the other day from the age.

I’d be really getting into their heads and give them verbal torment.

It’s not racist/sexist/personal type attack so within the AFL BLM rulebook.

Would love to see that club totally loose their shyte over what we say to them on field. Those arseholes stole the 1997 flag off us and it’s time to kick a dog when it’s down.

No mercy.
100% with you.
Our guys could tell each other on field : " guys, if we put our collective minds together, we can beat these losers"
And : "hey, are we really in Adelaide today? We got driven here in a bus, blindfolded"
Take every chance to shake them up

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

While I agree that the focus should be firmly on Fremantle for now, our recent record against Adelaide is our worst (marginally worse than Sydney & Port).

We have lost our last 10 vs Adelaide by an average of 50 points. Just think about that. Outscored by 500 points in just 10 games of footy.

We have also lost 10 from 10 at the Adelaide Oval, by an average of 49.6 points. Five of those have been vs Adelaide, average losing margin, 58.4 points.

Our last win vs Adelaide was Round 18, 2011. By 103 points. That night was Neil Craig's last match as coach and Adelaide's lowest ever score (3.6.24).

Our last win vs Adelaide in Adelaide, Round 2, 2009.

If we're to take a significant step forward in 2020, this game is a must win. We'll never get a better chance to break the Adelaide hoodoo. Therefore it's even more important to knock off Freo and head to Adelaide full of confidence.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

What's becoming clearer each week that Ratten is in charge, from the club initiatives, as desperate as they may seem to some, the insider videos, and the way Ratten responds at press conferences, the one in, all in response to the hub, is the focus is clearly on the right area.

The high picks we have drafted, the bargain selections we have recycled through the state leagues, the trades we made to get the right types to the club, the additions to the coaching staff.

The focus is on us and the job we have to do each week.

Our game, our strengths our opportunities to be our best and exploiting all we can from the positives.

The appalling 10 year history we have against a number of club's doesn't belong to this current list, the future does. Go out and get it boys.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 07 Jul 2020 11:06am .

The appalling 10 year history we have against a number of club's doesn't belong to this current list, the future does. Go out and get it boys.
Love that line.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Tue 07 Jul 2020 10:40am Our last win vs Adelaide was Round 18, 2011. By 103 points. That night was Neil Craig's last match as coach and Adelaide's lowest ever score (3.6.24).
A month later Llyon leaves us for Freo!

..AND.....check this ...they still beat us in Round Six* that same year by 19 points - in Adelaide of course- and we were a top six team that year! AND Adelaide had dropped the two previous games after comfortably leading!

WARNING to innaccurate kickers - we had 1.9 on the scoreboard at half-time that day in 2011!

HISTORY never REPEATS!!! Split Enz.

Come on Saints!

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Need to beat Freo first and beat them well.

But with Adelaide, the club is rotten and we need to pick them apart as much as possible.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....