Robbo's dislikes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Robbo's dislikes

From the heraldsun.com.au

"DISLIKES
1 NOT WORTH A HILL OF BEANS

Saints coach Brett Ratten was on point after the match.

“We’ve brought a full squad up here, so we’ll play players who are in form. If you’re not in form and your form’s tapering, you might be in a bit of trouble,’’ he said.

So, where does that leave Bradley Hill? He’s on a bundle of money and is playing like a first-year player — tentative and lacklustre.

If Ratten wants to make a statement at selection then Hill is his man.

His past two weeks have been ordinary. The gap between his best and worst is unacceptable for a player of his talent.

His average ranking points this season (57) is the lowest since 2012, tackles (1.3) the lowest since 2012, metres gained (315) the lowest since 2013, and disposals (19.6) the lowest since 2016.

On Saturday he was the lowest-ranked St Kilda player.

2 ATTITUDE A BIT TOO SAINTLY

The Saints are building a team of weapons — speed, midfield depth and youth — yet are missing an ingredient synonymous with good teams.

They lack a killer attitude, the desire to put teams to the sword.

It might be simplistic to describe their losses to the Kangaroos (Round 1) and the Dockers (Round 6) as attitudinal, but in both they gave up big leads.

Once is bad enough, twice in six games is a trend. If there is a cue-in-the-rack mentality, and Ratten will know more than anyone if that’s true or not, the Saints won’t win this premiership.

Downhill skiers don’t stand on podiums in September.

Their pressure rating across the four quarters on Saturday was 199, 158, 190 (still beaten up around the ball) and 160. Their pressure simply wavers too much."

Hurtful but unfortunately true and I can't stand that bald headed wanker.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: Robbo's dislikes

Yep less game time is obviously going to effect those averages you f***wit Robbo. Also the last thing I want Brad Hill to be doing is the grunt stuff. Get the ball out to him and let him run.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
shrodes
SS Life Member

CURLY wrote: Mon 13 Jul 2020 1:50pm Yep less game time is obviously going to effect those averages you f***wit Robbo. Also the last thing I want Brad Hill to be doing is the grunt stuff. Get the ball out to him and let him run.
Ok, so let's look at game time adjusted figures then.

Ranking points is an AFL stat I can't find past data on beside career average.
Tackles + 20% (1.0 * 1.2 = 1.2) is still lowest since 2012
Metres Gained I think is a Champion Data stat I can't find past data on beside career average.
Disposals + 20% (15.67 * 1.2 = 18.8) is still lowest since 2016

Based on this, it seems like Robbo's quoted values may already be adjusted for the game time difference.

He's clearly not contributing as well as we'd like, regardless of how you feel about Robbo.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

shrodes wrote: Mon 13 Jul 2020 2:14pm
CURLY wrote: Mon 13 Jul 2020 1:50pm Yep less game time is obviously going to effect those averages you f***wit Robbo. Also the last thing I want Brad Hill to be doing is the grunt stuff. Get the ball out to him and let him run.
Ok, so let's look at game time adjusted figures then.

Ranking points is an AFL stat I can't find past data on beside career average.
Tackles + 20% (1.0 * 1.2 = 1.2) is still lowest since 2012
Metres Gained I think is a Champion Data stat I can't find past data on beside career average.
Disposals + 20% (15.67 * 1.2 = 18.8) is still lowest since 2016

Based on this, it seems like Robbo's quoted values may already be adjusted for the game time difference.

He's clearly not contributing as well as we'd like, regardless of how you feel about Robbo.
Hills strength is his endurance and wearing his opponents down. As we've sen in all games the intensity can be maintained from start to finish due to reduced game time.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Mon 13 Jul 2020 1:50pm Y Also the last thing I want Brad Hill to be doing is the grunt stuff. Get the ball out to him and let him run.
Agreed Curly, however it doesn't matter who you are in AFL Football, when it comes your time you have to put your head over it and win it, not soccer it off the ground in hope or avoid contact altogether. IMO Hill has done the latter over the past two weeks.

Is there an issue with Hill and the Ryder axing?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Everytime I see that goose bite the hair on his bottom lip I feel like punching him in the head..that said.. he is right.

Cordz2
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 13 Jul 2020 2:47pm
CURLY wrote: Mon 13 Jul 2020 1:50pm Y Also the last thing I want Brad Hill to be doing is the grunt stuff. Get the ball out to him and let him run.
Agreed Curly, however it doesn't matter who you are in AFL Football, when it comes your time you have to put your head over it and win it, not soccer it off the ground in hope or avoid contact altogether. IMO Hill has done the latter over the past two weeks.

If you don't want to put your head over the ball, you're in the wrong game.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Cordz2 wrote: Mon 13 Jul 2020 4:02pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 13 Jul 2020 2:47pm

If you don't want to put your head over the ball, you're in the wrong game.
Hey Cordz2, do you think Hill has been reluctant to put his head over the footy in the past couple of games?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

His two best games were our preseason hit outs. He’s not doing enough, has lost some confidence with his kicking (lots of tentative 15m passes across half back) and is far from damaging. Robbo is right

#1 Ryder fan
Saint_Singapore
Club Player

I've watched Freo as my second team (WA boy) and wifes first team for years. I've also accepted both Hills lack grunt on the inside and are a touch soft over the ball. Thats never going to be Brad Hills best attribute and hes always had gun inside mids around him in the past. He doesn't have that now but still has a lot to offer - lets get those inside players in quick. Blood them or trade for them. I love Marshall but that was one of the worst ruckman games I have seen in a long time - game starts with him. I hope he can put that game behind him and be the player and maybe future captain I think he (Marshall) can be.

suss
Club Player

Saint_Singapore wrote: Mon 13 Jul 2020 8:15pm I've watched Freo as my second team (WA boy) and wifes first team for years. I've also accepted both Hills lack grunt on the inside and are a touch soft over the ball. Thats never going to be Brad Hills best attribute and hes always had gun inside mids around him in the past. He doesn't have that now but still has a lot to offer - lets get those inside players in quick. Blood them or trade for them. I love Marshall but that was one of the worst ruckman games I have seen in a long time - game starts with him. I hope he can put that game behind him and be the player and maybe future captain I think he (Marshall) can be.
I think Ryder comes in to help Marshall. If Marshall has a shocker then we have coverage. Either can go forward too when necessary. We seem a bit one dimensional on the moment. Don’t know who comes out but there are plenty to choose from.

To the top
SS Life Member

I agree the one dimensional description - we fielded half a dozen players who are one dimensional in that their skill is presented as negating a specific opposition player

We were beaten in selection and that resulted in us being beaten on the chess board

We were left with half a dozen players with no one to defend because those they were chosen to defend were moved to positions where our half dozen players just could not compete

And they had no other weapons in their armour so no contribution putting just too much pressure on 16 players (versus 22)

And that exacerbated our lack of capable midfield depth

This has been the case in each game we have lost and in games we have won, particularly versus Carlton after half time

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Make some changes to keep every player on their toes and keep them hungry. E.g. I'd like NJ Brown and Robbo and Jimmy to get some games in the next couple of weeks.

I'd love to see Jack Bytel if he's fit and strong and has put in the work on the training track

I'd like any non performers from Saturday to get a breather, especially if they are carrying any niggles. I'd like Max to get a rest even if he doesn't want one.

If Hill is not 100% don't play him. I hate it when players are chosen and expected to play with ankle sprains or soreness

There's going to be some players emotionally and physically exhausted because of the challenges faced so coaches have to assess who is able to perform at their best and who can't

You have to be proactive not reactive.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Too late to be proactive I fear unless we already had a rotation schedule in play (and it would be unfortunate if there wasn't some plan to progressively give most of the squad game time so there isn't a too underdone group when injuries inevitably happen). The reaction to Saturday, with an eye on game one fade needs to be significant. The performances of at least 6 should result in non selection unless there were underlying physical problems - if so then the medical staff need to be accountable. A test on what each player thought the game plan was at the different stages might be revealing too. Guys may have written Plan B on their wrists at half time but have thought that's a Mooloolaba club.