Changes v Swans

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changes v Swans

Battle, Lonie possible in
Ross possible out injured

Hannebury & Webster no hope both hamstrung.
Hannebury needs to see the medical team that brought O'Meara back from the dead.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 2:44am The only change should be Bytel for Ross
You think Parker is worth another go?

Kent?

Hind?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Out : Ross, Parker

In : Battle, Bytel

older saint
SS Life Member

If Ross injured or carrying something then perhaps Bytel , as reading it seems form warranted

Parker did nothing but tough gig to say no proper footy for months, 1 game in and expect a lot from a guy who has played less than 15 games. May be needed so another week makes sense.

Line through Hannebury as inj again,

Battle - swans not big so would be top heavy against this opponent.

Royston
Club Player

Parker did no more or less than Sinclair

Ross - injured or rest / out
Bytel - in...get a few games into him

With the cluster of games ahead and short breaks we do need to rotate the squad a little
and keep 25 or so 'match fit'

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

swans a very young team. Wouldn't be the worst game to rest a couple if necessary/carrying something.

Not wholesale but Ross and geary/kent for example.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

We now have a week off and then 4 games in 16 days

Do we start some rotations this Saturday or wait till the middle two games?

Swans have very limited numbers of talls so this week do you rest One of the rucks and Carlisle

There is no real matchup for Jake.

Wilkie goes to Blakey and Howard to Reid.

Geary for Papley

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

terry smith rules wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 10:27am We now have a week off and then 4 games in 16 days

Do we start some rotations this Saturday or wait till the middle two games?

Swans have very limited numbers of talls so this week do you rest One of the rucks and Carlisle

There is no real matchup for Jake.

Wilkie goes to Blakey and Howard to Reid.

Geary for Papley
I'd keep the ruck advantage. Both getting rest on the ground it is part of the advantage of having two of them.

Equally don't like messing with a back 6 which is working. Although we have had a back 7 really and perhaps one of them could be rested. Perhaps Carlisle for Austin if he is right to go. Or Geary given he has spent time forward.

Would cap the number of changes to 2 this week and give one of the mids or small forwards a rest. Ross, Kent or Parker.

More I think about it the more I'd be looking at the below.

In
Brynes/bytes
Lonie

Out
Ross
Geary/Kent/Parker

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Out
Ross (injured)
Kent (injured)
In
Bytel (for Ross)
Savage (for Kent)

Hanners and JWeb have hamstring injuries :(.

Lonie needs to spend more time out, and Parker has a bit of the X-factor about him, so they stay out and in respectively.
No way do you drop your captain, against a side like the Swans you need your human cannonball captain in, by your side.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Re Geary I think its more a rest than dropping if he is out. Going to need a few changes each week to get through the next month and given his recent injuries and age he'll likely be one.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

nostalgicsaint wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 11:27am Re Geary I think its more a rest than dropping if he is out. Going to need a few changes each week to get through the next month and given his recent injuries and age he'll likely be one.
But not this week as Papley is a great match up for him.

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
spert
Saintsational Legend

As far as I'm concerned, you put the best team on the field every game, no matter who the opposition, as percentage wins are all important and may be the difference in playing finals or not.

Last night's win was a huge win for the club- one of the strongest wins for years. Only injured players should go out, so Ross looks gone and either Ratts bloods another new player such as Bytel, or even give Byrnes another shot, or a match-fit Lonie comes back in.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 1:07am
saintsRrising wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 1:01am
vacuous space wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 12:18am My guess would be Battle in for Ross. I'd expect minimal change after a win like that.
Yes one option.

Though how has Bytel been going?

Byrnes and Bytel are some our only young players that were recruited as mids who were already mids. If Ross is out then Swans game might be a good chance to debut Bytel and to try him out with some midfield rotations.

Our midfield does not run that deep, and if Hanners is now gone long-terms we need some Plan Bs.
Might have to move Hunter Clark there prematurely. We have Robertson/Savage who can play half back.
Has Hunter Clark ever played midfield??

Laurie
Club Player

Out Ross Kent
In Bytel Savage

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 12:02pm
bigcarl wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 1:07am
saintsRrising wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 1:01am
vacuous space wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 12:18am My guess would be Battle in for Ross. I'd expect minimal change after a win like that.
Yes one option.

Though how has Bytel been going?

Byrnes and Bytel are some our only young players that were recruited as mids who were already mids. If Ross is out then Swans game might be a good chance to debut Bytel and to try him out with some midfield rotations.

Our midfield does not run that deep, and if Hanners is now gone long-terms we need some Plan Bs.
Might have to move Hunter Clark there prematurely. We have Robertson/Savage who can play half back.
Has Hunter Clark ever played midfield??
I don’t know, but I suspect he would have in juniors.

Any case, they are all virtually midfielders these days. Plus he has the right skill set. Evasive, good in traffic, won’t shirk a contest etc.

Also, I think the long term plan is to get him into the midfield. He’s serving an apprenticeship in defence to get him up to speed I believe.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Royston wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 10:02am Parker did no more or less than Sinclair

Ross - injured or rest / out
Bytel - in...get a few games into him

With the cluster of games ahead and short breaks we do need to rotate the squad a little
and keep 25 or so 'match fit'
You are joking of course. Sinclair 15 possession( 10 kicks and 5 handpasses), 4 marks and 2 tackles.

Parker 6 possessions (3 kicks and 3 handpasses) 0 marks and 0 tackles.

The guy was poor but admittedly hasn't played for yonks.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Parker plays one game (6 possessions) but can stay in and Byrnes has one game (5 possessions) and is dropped?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Sat 25 Jul 2020 11:52pm Gotta give these guys a chance IMO...
Parker, Hind etc

There was a time not long ago when Coffields, Clarkes, Kents etc put in some subpar games but you gotta play them for them to get better
100%
How the hell are we going to contend unless we get games into the lads?
How will we know if they have the ability to emerge?

Parkers had a few games that were very nice...
Hind had a few beauties as well.

If we had the VFL this year both these guyss would be substantially better.

Personally, I dont see Parker ever being in our 22 long term.
His best is defensive work but I think he wants to be more forward.
Hind could be a rotation, maybe.

Im keen to see Patton, Bytel, Mayo, Phillips etc get some game time....but not sure who they replace or if they're ready.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

I'd like to see Parker retained, he played his first game of the year in a match that was as high pressure and fast as I have seen this year.

I thought Sinclair did pretty well top pick up the tempo and Parker looked a little hurried and nervous but both should be better for the run and given another shot IMO.

Ross may struggle to come up and a couple of the boys maybe sore from such a tough week in Adelaide (twice). Kent & Hill were injured and it will be interesting to see how they pull up.

Byres looked shell shocked on debut and probably needed a season in the VFL to prepare himself which obviously is not going to happen.

Battle & Lonie look likely first choices to come back in with Marsh another option.
McKenzie was prominent in the scratch matches as was Langlands so there are some back up options.

If injured
Ross / Battle
Kent / Lonie

and if Parker out perhaps Marsh?

The unknown is still Roberton, he is the one guy who is not in the team that is a walk up start when in form.

Could he play forward?
I don't think we'd be f****** with the back six who are killing it at the moment.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Sanctorum
Club Player

spert wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 11:37am As far as I'm concerned, you put the best team on the field every game, no matter who the opposition, as percentage wins are all important and may be the difference in playing finals or not.

Last night's win was a huge win for the club- one of the strongest wins for years. Only injured players should go out, so Ross looks gone and either Ratts bloods another new player such as Bytel, or even give Byrnes another shot, or a match-fit Lonie comes back in.
Spot on spert, it would be nonsense to not select the best team every week - on AFL 360 last week both Jarryd Roughead and Jordan Lewis when asked said they would want to play every game irrespective of the short breaks, they're professional footballers and especially with the 16 minute quarters would have no problem playing 4 quarters.

The sole selection criteria should be current form.

Unfortunately Matty Parker appeared totally out of depth last night (at best VFL standard) so if Ross is injured I would envisage the following changes against the Swans:

Out: Parker & Ross
In: Battle and either one of Lonie/Bytel/Phillips/Savage

Irrespective, I would expect the Saints to have a solid win over the Swans at the Gabba next Saturday.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
spert
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 12:20pm Parker plays one game (6 possessions) but can stay in and Byrnes has one game (5 possessions) and is dropped?
I think Ratts wanted to expose Byrnes to senior level for his development and maybe Bytel next. Parker has already been there.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 1:55pm
spert wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 11:37am As far as I'm concerned, you put the best team on the field every game, no matter who the opposition, as percentage wins are all important and may be the difference in playing finals or not.

Spot on spert, it would be nonsense to not select the best team every week - on AFL 360 last week both Jarryd Roughead and Jordan Lewis when asked said they would want to play every game irrespective of the short breaks, they're professional footballers and especially with the 16 minute quarters would have no problem playing 4 quarters.

The sole selection criteria should be current form.

Unfortunately Matty Parker appeared totally out of depth last night (at best VFL standard) so if Ross is injured I would envisage the following changes against the Swans:

Out: Parker & Ross
In: Battle and either one of Lonie/Bytel/Phillips/Savage

Irrespective, I would expect the Saints to have a solid win over the Swans at the Gabba next Saturday.
Beware the Swans - they looked good yesterday - the big thing in our favour next week is that the Swans struggle on big grounds and we haven't played them on a big ground for a decade. We play them Saturday at the 'Gabba.
They have made a habit of hammering us and finishing games off early and these losses have coincided with the Swans coming good against us since 2013. The first quarter will be all important. Sydney will be up and about after yesterday.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 12:35pm
skeptic wrote: Sat 25 Jul 2020 11:52pm Gotta give these guys a chance IMO...
Parker, Hind etc

There was a time not long ago when Coffields, Clarkes, Kents etc put in some subpar games but you gotta play them for them to get better
100%
How the hell are we going to contend unless we get games into the lads?
How will we know if they have the ability to emerge?

Parkers had a few games that were very nice...
Hind had a few beauties as well.

If we had the VFL this year both these guyss would be substantially better.

Personally, I dont see Parker ever being in our 22 long term.
His best is defensive work but I think he wants to be more forward.
Hind could be a rotation, maybe.

Im keen to see Patton, Bytel, Mayo, Phillips etc get some game time....but not sure who they replace or if they're ready.
Mayo has gone home. For surgery on his knee. Doubt if he will return. Certainly not this year.

Saint_Singapore
Club Player

Jacks Back wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 12:20pm Parker plays one game (6 possessions) but can stay in and Byrnes has one game (5 possessions) and is dropped?
Byrnes was in the midfield and just didnt look like he wanted it. Parker was up forward, wanted it and applied preasure - he was just rusty. Parker is someone who could come back next time hungrier.. not sure Byrnes is at that point yet.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

We had some sore lads. If they recover well, then we only make forced changes I reckon. Anyone with an injury out. Anyone who is 100% fit replaces them :D