FB Rumour RE Hannebery’s hamstring

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Re: FB Rumour RE Hannebery’s hamstring

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 12:19pm
Ghost Like wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 12:13pm
Munga wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 3:02am
saintkid wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 2:33am The big damper after yesterday's great win. Hannebery was and is cooked and he knows this. He came to us with several red flags and should never have been given a 5 year contract. He's had an eternity to come good and can't. Clubs have to be smarter with long term contract decisions on mature players with a problematic history and in the current economic climate, these decisions will not be easily swept under the carpet.
That is the point 'The Dud' is making and other supporters. Why would anyone here 'feel good about themselves when a player goes down'?? Seriously, this supporter slamming is pathetic. Any way you look at it, Hannebery should never have been given a 5 year contract by Lethlean at his age and with his history.
It's four years with a fifth is he plays a certain amount of games, which after his last two seasons I think would rule him out of that. And frontended apparently, so not hurting us in the next two years. He's brought a stack of knowledge to the midfield. I'd say he could do a midfield coaching role with the reserves if he's not needed on game day with the firsts.
If we wanted a midfield coach for our reserves we should have gone after Sam Mitchell. Disappointing for all concerned. Can't even send him to Germany. I hope this season was also heavily loaded.
How do you know we didn't go after Sam Mitchell?
We may have, as an assistant coach. I doubt though we offered him playing wages to coach the reserves' midfield.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Of course we are gutted ....but taking on any player with health concerns is always a risk. Every club does it.
If and when it works out its glorious, if and when it doesnt, we are all gutted.

Either way the media and "red flag" brigade are always poo pooing on any trade, draft that has any risk.

Im glad we took Freeman, Paddy, even Hill with his dodgy knees....take risks....because when they pan out its sexy as hell!!!

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 12:23pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 12:19pm
Ghost Like wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 12:13pm
Munga wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 3:02am
saintkid wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 2:33am The big damper after yesterday's great win. Hannebery was and is cooked and he knows this. He came to us with several red flags and should never have been given a 5 year contract. He's had an eternity to come good and can't. Clubs have to be smarter with long term contract decisions on mature players with a problematic history and in the current economic climate, these decisions will not be easily swept under the carpet.
That is the point 'The Dud' is making and other supporters. Why would anyone here 'feel good about themselves when a player goes down'?? Seriously, this supporter slamming is pathetic. Any way you look at it, Hannebery should never have been given a 5 year contract by Lethlean at his age and with his history.
It's four years with a fifth is he plays a certain amount of games, which after his last two seasons I think would rule him out of that. And frontended apparently, so not hurting us in the next two years. He's brought a stack of knowledge to the midfield. I'd say he could do a midfield coaching role with the reserves if he's not needed on game day with the firsts.
If we wanted a midfield coach for our reserves we should have gone after Sam Mitchell. Disappointing for all concerned. Can't even send him to Germany. I hope this season was also heavily loaded.
How do you know we didn't go after Sam Mitchell?
We may have, as an assistant coach. I doubt though we offered him playing wages to coach the reserves' midfield.
So what is your point?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

CQ, my point was simply we did not recruit him to be a coach. We offered him an extremely generous contract to play. A contract that reflected his AA status circa 2015.

By all reports he's very good around the club but the majority of his contract was & is to play. The other red flag that may have been addressed was when he removed himself from the leadership group.

I've like what I've seen when he's played I just don't like I've not seen enough of it. If we do reach the pointy end this season, I want him on the field, not in coaching box chewing on lollies.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 12:45pm CQ, my point was simply we did not recruit him to be a coach. We offered him an extremely generous contract to play. A contract that reflected his AA status circa 2015.

By all reports he's very good around the club but the majority of his contract was & is to play. The other red flag that may have been addressed was when he removed himself from the leadership group.

I've like what I've seen when he's played I just don't like I've not seen enough of it. If we do reach the pointy end this season, I want him on the field, not in coaching box chewing on lollies.
That's reasonable. Very different to implying that he was paid all that money to coach. This just adds to the value of the deal and lessens the loss AFAIC. I'm sure we all want him up and firing.

Nevertheless, given all the decisions made, the direction the team is heading and the momentum created since he was signed, the continued reference to the negatives of the Hannerbery deal and the repeated potting of Leathlean, because he had a part in this and many other deals, says much more about the posters than it does about the guys serving our club and steering us to success.
There is a long way to go but if people are going to fall off the wagon at every bump, then best of luck too them, even if they just appear to be antagonists, stirring the pot.

To the top
SS Life Member

The area of concern last night was our inability to capitalise on Ryder’s ruck work, with the space not filled by positioning and clean hands (as Hannebery gave us with the first half v Carlton the example)

Hannebery is a vital component for this side going further

We wish him a speedy and full recovery

In regards Ryder the PA Coach was pleased to share contests given what Ryder was bringing

That says it

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 1:01pm
Ghost Like wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 12:45pm CQ, my point was simply we did not recruit him to be a coach. We offered him an extremely generous contract to play. A contract that reflected his AA status circa 2015.

That's reasonable. Very different to implying that he was paid all that money to coach. This just adds to the value of the deal and lessens the loss AFAIC. I'm sure we all want him up and firing.

Nevertheless, given all the decisions made, the direction the team is heading and the momentum created since he was signed, the continued reference to the negatives of the Hannerbery deal and the repeated potting of Leathlean, because he had a part in this and many other deals, says much more about the posters than it does about the guys serving our club and steering us to success.
There is a long way to go but if people are going to fall off the wagon at every bump, then best of luck too them, even if they just appear to be antagonists, stirring the pot.
Fair points but to be honest my initial comment that attracted your attention was actually in response to Munga, who no doubt was seeking a silver lining when I was being a tad facetious with my frustration that DH cannot produce a sustained run on the field.

shadrock
Club Player

So lets assume he is cooked for the rest of the season... Is there any compensation system with injured players we could take advantage of? I know other sports league have an insurance type system when players get injured long term.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 1:32pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 1:01pm

Fair points but to be honest my initial comment that attracted your attention was actually in response to Munga, who no doubt was seeking a silver lining when I was being a tad facetious with my frustration that DH cannot produce a sustained run on the field.
Yeah I am aware. This forum is a great place to vent and also to celebrate. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Surgery & 3 months they just reported on Fox Footy.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 3:22pm Surgery & 3 months they just reported on Fox Footy.
Cooked for season. Disappointing. What’s that? 7 or 8 games in two years at half a mill a year plus......

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

shadrock wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 2:01pm So lets assume he is cooked for the rest of the season... Is there any compensation system with injured players we could take advantage of? I know other sports league have an insurance type system when players get injured long term.
Long term injury list is all I suspect.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintkid
Club Player

st.byron wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 3:24pm
Ghost Like wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 3:22pm Surgery & 3 months they just reported on Fox Footy.
Cooked for season. Disappointing. What’s that? 7 or 8 games in two years at half a mill a year plus......
Sounding a lot like Freeman, only older with a more lucrative and longer contract. Best wishes to him.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Just a question?
Who have we lost because we didn't have sufficient salary cap space after signing Hannerbury?
Who didn't we recruit because we didn't have sufficient salary cap space after signing Dan Hannerbury?

We play in a competition where we must pay x% of our salary cap every year.
What does it matter who we pay it to if it doesn't impact who we keep or go after?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 5:41pm Just a question?
Who have we lost because we didn't have sufficient salary cap space after signing Hannerbury?
Who didn't we recruit because we didn't have sufficient salary cap space after signing Dan Hannerbury?

What does it matter who we pay it to if it doesn't impact who we keep or go after?
Whoever that would be on the list instead of him that would ready to play this week.

He’s not just occupying a spot on the list... he’s occupying a spot on the list for a ready made, ready to play, seasoned midfield leader.

A player that we could really use right now as it appears we’re ready to have a crack this year.

Special
Club Player

Nailed it.

When we got Hanners no one wanted to come to our beige club based at Seaford.

People have either very short memories or have dementia

saintkid
Club Player

Doesn't impact now but it better not affect the future resigning of our current exciting and budding stars such as Steele, Clark, Marshall, King, Howard (from what I've seen already) and a few others. I hope we are also in a strong position to have a real crack at Ben King when his 2 year contract is up at GCS. I would imagine he would be interested given the family are keen local Saints supporters and the sheer thought of having them both in St Kilda colours just may finally tip that premiership cup our way. :)

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Special wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 5:58pm

Nailed it.

When we got Hanners no one wanted to come to our beige club based at Seaford.

People have either very short memories or have dementia

Not sure about this.

It’s a total hypothetical, isn’t it?

There’s zero transparency around player payments and unless they open up the books, no one has any idea what financial impact this has on the club.

Contrary to what some might think on here, happy for someone to enlighten me.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 5:57pm

Whoever that would be on the list instead of him that would ready to play this week.

He’s not just occupying a spot on the list... he’s occupying a spot on the list for a ready made, ready to play, seasoned midfield leader.

A player that we could really use right now as it appears we’re ready to have a crack this year.
But what if that was nothing other than another kid we picked up in the draft?
And we were 'forced to pay' other players on the list more than they're worth because we had to spend our salary cap?
Can you imagine if we'd paid some of our middle tier players more and had to now sit down with their managers to negotiate new contracts with them already receiving more than they were worth as a base?
I can just see the likes of Connors/Picken/et al saying to Gallagher yes we'll take a pay cut because we recognize that you paid us too much the last 3 years. :roll:
We have to pay out the money - it makes no difference who we pay it to unless we either lose somebody we want to keep because we don't have the cap space
or
we can't get somebody we want because we don't have the cap space.
AFAIK we lost Steven, Bruce and Newnes last year and I'm not sure any of those were lost because we didn't have the necessary cap space to keep them?

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Yep, season over

Enrico_Misso
Saintsational Legend
Location: Moorabbin Chapter of The Royal Society of Hagiographers

You would hope there is a clause in that crazy 5 year megabuck contract that allows us an "out" if he can't get back?
That salary could come in handy to recruit a genuine young gun!

The rest of Australia can wander mask-free, socialise, eat out, no curfews, no zoning, no police rings of steel, no illogical inconsistent rules. 
They can even WATCH LIVE FOOTY!
asiu
Saintsational Legend

Hanners back in Melbourne ?

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Yep - he flew to Melbourne today - he's left the Hub in Noosa to have surgery straight away.
Probably in the hope that he can get back if we make finals.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

saintkid wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 11:00am
SaintPav wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 10:14am
Let me spell out the obvious.

Some people are so weak that they need to gloat by telling everyone how wrong they were.

Pathetic.

your last point...dur!!!
As I said earlier, I don't believe 'The Dud' goes about it this way. Stop the personal attacks.
Hannebery's recruitment with a long and lucrative contract was questioned by many in the media and still is.
We have every right to an opinion...just respectfully disagree, if that is the case with you.
I wouldn’t worry about it, I made him look a bit silly a while back and he got quite hot under the collar about it, so his post is more about that than this particular issue.

He often tries to have digs at me trying to get my attention and hoping I’ll bite, but I have mostly ignored him for a while now, and I’m sure that is only further frustrating him! :)

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Acres maybe?
Was given away for next to nothing reportedly post Hill deal.
Seems to be the only one squeezed out for nothing in return.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.