Young guns on the cusp

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Young guns on the cusp

From the herald sun.com.

St Kilda

2020 debutants: Max King, Ryan Byrnes

On the cusp: St Kilda’s team appears settled with experienced names like Dylan Roberton struggling to get a look in, but untried key defender Oscar Clavarino is in line for a debut over the next four rounds. After battling persistent hamstring injuries throughout the year, Clavarino pressed his claim in their recent scratch match against Brisbane, showing off his marking prowess in wet conditions. With Nathan Brown leaving their hub, the key defender will be front of mind for coach Brett Ratten. Otherwise, second-year midfielder Jack Bytel will be considered if they opt to rest their ball-winners.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Re: Young guns on the cusp

While the team is in contention I can't see many opportunities coming up for those missing out, apart from forced changes due to injury. No way will the selectors name anything but the best 22 every week - the short quarters will enable everyone to back up after 4-5 day breaks, no trouble.

Both Hind and Sinclair slotted in really well which shows how players can be brought in seamlessly and play as a team. Not many teams can retain team balance when players get injured, but this Saints team certainly can!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Club Player

Thanks Saynta- for the synopsis from the HUN. Clavarino is an interesting choice for a debut- where would he play? If he has been training as a defender then presumably he is in line after Howard and Carlisle - both currently uninjured and with our back 6 performing well and with plenty of cover in reserve could we slot him in? Bytel makes more sense but the only likely out is Ross and from your posts you would be reluctant to give him a rest (accept he may have an injury). Of the three ins last week only Parker would be under pressure I would think.

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Good on Clavarino but no room in the backline at the moment
Not this week

Nee!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

I could see Clav coming in to replace Carlisle for the Gold Coast game and maybe play on BKing - better body match up than someone like Day

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Tony74 has already hinted changes after Sydney.
Anticipating a bye in a few weeks, expecting a win with a full strength team this week and a big challenge for the young GCS againts GWS, you'd reckon that next week would be the optimal time to rest a few, then go full bore at Geelong and Essendon then hopefully a bye.
A mix of up to 6 of Roberton, Savage Marsh, Langlands, Phillips, Bytel, Byrnes and Clavarino could give Max, Carlisle, Geary, Ross, Hill and maybe Steele or Gresh a break and still be competitive.

Sanctorum
Club Player

That's a brave call CQ SAINT!

I do agree that at some point the selectors will opt to rest a few players but feel that barring injuries it is only going to be 2 or 3 at most at anyone time.

They'll definitely need a full strength lineup against the GC Suns at Metricon.

Either way, the players they brought in last week certainly did the job admirably.....

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Thu 30 Jul 2020 6:32pm That's a brave call CQ SAINT!

I do agree that at some point the selectors will opt to rest a few players but feel that barring injuries it is only going to be 2 or 3 at most at anyone time.

They'll definitely need a full strength lineup against the GC Suns at Metricon.

Either way, the players they brought in last week certainly did the job admirably.....
I'm not suggesting that six will be rested but if you are going to rest players, then that is the week to do it. Younger opponents, I reckon GWS will give them a touch up and the club will be very conscious of fatigue on the older and younger players.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

The good thing with younger players is they seem invigorated by the situation - like they're off on a camp with their mates. Older guys might worry about home and family yada yada. Younger teams (like us!) might have the edge.