A big difference from last year to this year

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

A big difference from last year to this year

Skill.

I don't know whether others have noticed this, but it has been seen throughout the year and was on display in the last two weeks. In particular, kicking on the non-preferred.

Last night I counted ten players who did it during the game (I might have missed someone). They were:

Jack Steele
Jack Billings
Jack Sinclair
Jack, err, Jade Gresham
Hunter Clark (no e)
Nick Hind
Dan Butler
Josh Battle
Bradley Hill
Shane Savage

Maybe it was only once but generally they were not get out of jail kicks but rather quick kicks to position or for goal. The alternative, trying to run around an opponent to get onto the preferred, wastes times and gives an opportunity for a tackle.

In the bad old days - 2012-1019, the number of players on our list who either could kick on their non - preferred reduced to one or two as the 2000's stars retired (e.g.Lenny) or transferred (e.g.Brendon).

The player, who a number of people put their faith in as being the saviour to lead us out of the wilderness, who I referred to as The Dud, couldn't do it. He couldn't kick on his preferred let alone his non-preferred- hence my description. I note he can't get a game at Geelong - no surprise there. But I digress.

As well as kicking, our handball has improved. This has still a way to go (two poor ones yesterday which led to opposition goals) but is on the right path. We created more goals from good handball than we gave away with bad handball. Hopefully, the days of seeing a handballs delivered at the feet from two metres away are gone.

As far as kicking for goal is concerned, that remains a bit of a mystery. In the past two weeks, our opponents have missed crucial goals that we were missing earlier in the year. We can't always expect our opponents to be so charitable. This year, we have added two excellent kicks for goal to the mix- Dan Butler and Max King. They always look confident rather than nervously looking to pass it off even when they are just 20 or 30 out. Hopefully, that confidence will translate to other players. Also, as we have seen in the last two weeks, it's easier to kick goals from dead in front than from the boundary. I only saw a few "boundary leads" last night - a poor option. The hot spot is always better on a breakaway.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: A big difference from last year to this year

No Richo

Trixilver
Club Player

I'm not so sure Hunter Clark has a non-preferred.

farquhar
Club Player

Great post by perfectionist.

Skill level is just crucial this year with shortened quarters and less fatigue (and lack of crowd factor). If a team can maximise hitting targets then they should win. Our skill level is looking better.

Time for goal-kicking practice
Vazelos
Club Player

Trixilver wrote: Sun 02 Aug 2020 11:30am I'm not so sure Hunter Clark has a non-preferred.
So you missed his left foot goal on the run from 50?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Vazelos wrote: Sun 02 Aug 2020 1:16pm
Trixilver wrote: Sun 02 Aug 2020 11:30am I'm not so sure Hunter Clark has a non-preferred.
I think the point was that he is equally comfortable with either foot and therefore didn’t have a dominant side

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: Sun 02 Aug 2020 10:05am Skill.

I don't know whether others have noticed this, but it has been seen throughout the year and was on display in the last two weeks. In particular, kicking on the non-preferred.

Last night I counted ten players who did it during the game (I might have missed someone). They were:

Jack Steele
Jack Billings
Jack Sinclair
Jack, err, Jade Gresham
Hunter Clark (no e)
Nick Hind
Dan Butler
Josh Battle
Bradley Hill
Shane Savage

Maybe it was only once but generally they were not get out of jail kicks but rather quick kicks to position or for goal. The alternative, trying to run around an opponent to get onto the preferred, wastes times and gives an opportunity for a tackle.

In the bad old days - 2012-1019, the number of players on our list who either could kick on their non - preferred reduced to one or two as the 2000's stars retired (e.g.Lenny) or transferred (e.g.Brendon).

The player, who a number of people put their faith in as being the saviour to lead us out of the wilderness, who I referred to as The Dud, couldn't do it. He couldn't kick on his preferred let alone his non-preferred- hence my description. I note he can't get a game at Geelong - no surprise there. But I digress.

As well as kicking, our handball has improved. This has still a way to go (two poor ones yesterday which led to opposition goals) but is on the right path. We created more goals from good handball than we gave away with bad handball. Hopefully, the days of seeing a handballs delivered at the feet from two metres away are gone.

As far as kicking for goal is concerned, that remains a bit of a mystery. In the past two weeks, our opponents have missed crucial goals that we were missing earlier in the year. We can't always expect our opponents to be so charitable. This year, we have added two excellent kicks for goal to the mix- Dan Butler and Max King. They always look confident rather than nervously looking to pass it off even when they are just 20 or 30 out. Hopefully, that confidence will translate to other players. Also, as we have seen in the last two weeks, it's easier to kick goals from dead in front than from the boundary. I only saw a few "boundary leads" last night - a poor option. The hot spot is always better on a breakaway.
Great observation.
Clark is probably the best dual sided player we have had in a very long time.
The Battle goal on his left was very skillful.

Glad to see Sinclair back in as he's a guy with decent skills that uses it reasonably well.
He is the 2008 to 2016 Hawthorn type of player, not a gun but handy in a good team with decent skills.

It must be a lot easier to hit a target when you are attacking and have players with genuine speed creating space and options as opposed to holding onto the ball and going laterally with dinky kicks or long down the line as the preferred option.

They seem to really be enjoying their footy at the moment and that certainly goes along way to performing well.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Vazelos
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote: Sun 02 Aug 2020 1:23pm
Vazelos wrote: Sun 02 Aug 2020 1:16pm
I think the point was that he is equally comfortable with either foot and therefore didn’t have a dominant side
Got it