Hill

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hill

CURLY wrote: Fri 07 Aug 2020 12:11pm Won't get a stat for that effort when he ran the length of the ground then chased down a lose ball in the goal square and we goaled. No GC player could go with him.

Opens up the far side of the ground with his gut running opening up the corridoor for us to go through.
You know Curly... when you’re not driving me crazy with posts about the great umpiring conspiracy your insights are actually rather appealing.

Agree or not and in this (and a few other points you’ve posted about yesterday) I agree.

I encourage you to post more about the team and player observations and let that other repetitive stuff go. Clearly you’ve got something to say and it’s interesting

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I’m rapt will all our recruits from last year. Our team has improved immeasurably and each one of them is a big reason for that. Is Hill worth 900k a year atm? Probably not.

We were crying out for good ball users. That’s all I will say

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Hill is worse overhead than Billy Longer.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
bigred
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Fri 07 Aug 2020 1:30pm Hill is worse overhead than Billy Longer.
Damn. That is just plain mean.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Just because you're an 'outside payer' doesn't mean you can't put your head over the ball or take the hit when it's your turn.

His kicking and throwing was great, hand balling not so much. I can't believe he handballed to Gresh at one stage, why would our best kick give it to our worst!?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
The Peanut
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Fri 07 Aug 2020 12:31pm We recruited an outside player, but some seem surprised that he is playing as an outside player.
Exactly, but some of our supporters only watch him with one eye. I'm so glad the coaching staff understand it is a team of people with range of skills.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Fri 07 Aug 2020 1:56pm Just because you're an 'outside payer' doesn't mean you can't put your head over the ball or take the hit when it's your turn.

His kicking and throwing was great, hand balling not so much. I can't believe he handballed to Gresh at one stage, why would our best kick give it to our worst!?
Throwing? f*** me. Accuse a player with throwing the ball without any proof to back up your absurd allegation when even your maggot mates let the majority of his handpasses pass. There was maybe one doubtful handpass last night which Hill disputed with said maggots anyway. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I’m restricted AFL.com highlights, but I liked seeing Hill. Last 2 mins, crucial contest CHF for the Orange Coast, his positioning square of the contest was just right, and he pivoted the perfect way. We cleared the ball.

Spkg of last 2 mins. Jack Carlisle running up to impact the contest fantastic. I love Jake. Then he immediately VoLTE d backwards.

And Billings, courages clean mark half back flank at a super important moment with an Agent Orange player charging down at him.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Fri 07 Aug 2020 1:56pm Just because you're an 'outside payer' doesn't mean you can't put your head over the ball or take the hit when it's your turn.

Hill knows his role and plays it it perfection. Stupid players get drawn into the honey pot and the ball vacates through the side they are meant't to be holding. Hill holds his position and doesn't get drawn into areas he shouldn't go.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saynta
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Fri 07 Aug 2020 2:57pm

Hill knows his role and plays it it perfection. Stupid players get drawn into the honey pot and the ball vacates through the side they are meant't to be holding. Hill holds his position and doesn't get drawn into areas he shouldn't go.
Ahh, someone who know and appreciates football and footballers. :wink:

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 07 Aug 2020 3:00pm

Yes it's a bit more than looking at Supercoach scores. :D

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Fri 07 Aug 2020 3:02pm

Glad to see you two old fellas working together, combined you may just be able to say you have a pair of eyes! :D

Not talking about Hill going into the scrum and getting the ball out, talking about when the ball / opposition player comes his way and he's got to contest / back into a marking contest / lay a tackle. Too many times he didn't go as hard as he could have and it cost us. Pretty sure most in this thread have agreed with this.

I'm sure if he was wearing a Collingwood jumper you two objective citizens would be spewing all kinds of verbal filth his way! haha :)

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Fri 07 Aug 2020 11:06am
bigcarl wrote: Fri 07 Aug 2020 10:45am
Devilhead wrote: Fri 07 Aug 2020 10:31amHis game has been built around receiving the ball on the outside hence why you never see him go inside - not sure it can be changed

And why would you change it? Let him play to his strengths. You need outside class. It takes all types.
Errrrr ..... yes I agree with you - just responding to some saying he should be more inside
Yes, I was agreeing with you. May not have come across like that
Last edited by bigcarl on Fri 07 Aug 2020 3:23pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 07 Aug 2020 2:24pm

Throwing? f*** me. Accuse a player with throwing the ball without any proof to back up your absurd allegation when even your maggot mates let the majority of his handpasses pass. There was maybe one doubtful handpass last night which Hill disputed with said maggots anyway. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
If you opened up that other eye of yours you would have see the all-time scoop/throw he had in the 3rd quarter. Why so grumpy, have a laugh about it, is Dennis in your yard again or something?

Also, I love the "accuse a player without any proof" line coming from a bloke who went off his head about a Pies player faking injury to bring on a stretcher, who tuned out to have an 6-8 inch gash on his shin, and then couldn't even man up and admit you were wrong! You certainly are a piece of work saynta! :D

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Fri 07 Aug 2020 3:15pm
CURLY wrote: Fri 07 Aug 2020 3:02pm

Glad to see you two old fellas working together, combined you may just be able to say you have a pair of eyes! :D

Not talking about Hill going into the scrum and getting the ball out, talking about when the ball / opposition player comes his way and he's got to contest / back into a marking contest / lay a tackle. Too many times he didn't go as hard as he could have and it cost us. Pretty sure most in this thread have agreed with this.

I'm sure if he was wearing a Collingwood jumper you two objective citizens would be spewing all kinds of verbal filth his way! haha :)
Hill goes when he has to. Typical armchair expert. Go harder. :roll:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Fri 07 Aug 2020 3:19pm
saynta wrote: Fri 07 Aug 2020 2:24pm

If you opened up that other eye of yours you would have see the all-time scoop/throw he had in the 3rd quarter.
Wasn't a throw ffs. You are allowed to belt the ball with an open hand. I thought you considered yourself an expert on the rules. Bahahaha. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

and someone clearly isnt
you are not allowed to lift the ball with an open hand - which is why it drew query

Seeya
saynta
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Fri 07 Aug 2020 3:49pm and someone clearly isnt
you are not allowed to lift the ball with an open hand - which is why it drew query
Have another look. He slapped the ball and didn't lift it. The maggots didn't have a problem. Perfectly legal. IMHFO.

Query from whom? Not anyone who matters, I would respectfully submit, your honour.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 07 Aug 2020 3:43pm...You are allowed to belt the ball with an open hand...
Yes, you can, with tap out from the ruck being an obvious example. However, umpires used to be taught that if there was "uplift", then it should be deemed a throw. Dunno what umps are taught these days, but I thought watching it that we might have got away with one there. On the whole, I thought the umps did well. I bet they too enjoyed the fact that it was an open game of footy and not a mauling scrum.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: Fri 07 Aug 2020 3:55pm
saynta wrote: Fri 07 Aug 2020 3:43pm...You are allowed to belt the ball with an open hand...
Yes, you can, with tap out from the ruck being an obvious example. However, umpires used to be taught that if there was "uplift", then it should be deemed a throw. Dunno what umps are taught these days, but I thought watching it that we might have got away with one there. On the whole, I thought the umps did well. I bet they too enjoyed the fact that it was an open game of footy and not a mauling scrum.
I was going to bring up the ruck example but that would be stating the bleeding obvious. I thought he batted the ball forward with an open hand. Looked at it a couple of times too.

Didn't have a problem with the maggots for this game. Frees 19 to 18 suns way. okay with me.
Last edited by saynta on Fri 07 Aug 2020 4:08pm, edited 1 time in total.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Open hand is fine the ball can't rest on your hand.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Fri 07 Aug 2020 4:04pm
Open hand is fine the ball can't rest on your hand.
Correct. Lots of players tap the ball on with their hands happens dozens of times in every match.

damienc
Club Player

Peanut Farm wrote: Fri 07 Aug 2020 10:03am
whiskers3614 wrote: Fri 07 Aug 2020 9:45am Poor bloke, with smaller crowds he can hear the footsteps from further away!
To think people here considered Billings soft...
Good call. Could be the softest players I've seen in a while. If it was anyone else, they'd be dropped quick smart & told to harden up.
Hugely overrated player-right place, right time for the premierships.
Over the top tough call IMO. Can't agree. Not over rated. Out of form.

damienc
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Fri 07 Aug 2020 10:05am If it wasn’t for his good disposal by foot I doubt he would get a game at the moment

There was a moment where the ball had gone to ground and he stood back to wait for the ball to be tapped to him where he could’ve easily got hit himself it wasn’t a hard ball but he just didn’t go in
He's out of form. It happens to the best of them. He will come good. Too good a player not to.

johnearljames
Club Player

Good sides need all types. Hill plays to his strengths. We have craved this sort of skilled outside winger for 10 years and now people expect him to play like Jack Steele every week. He played in the 3 Hawks flags like he is now and at Freo.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.