How the Ashes has driven Saints to top four

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st sandy
Club Player

How the Ashes has driven Saints to top four

Herald sun article

Anyone has the link thing? - yes i am one who will not support rupert

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: How the Ashes has driven Saints to top four

st sandy wrote: Sun 09 Aug 2020 3:55pm Herald sun article

Anyone has the link thing? - yes i am one who will not support rupert
No worries...done.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... b0e20bb60c

st sandy
Club Player

Saynta

Are you able to copy & post the narrative of the article?

Thanks

saynta
Saintsational Legend

st sandy wrote: Sun 09 Aug 2020 5:04pm Saynta

Thanks
You are kidding me, aren't you? :roll: . Not funny.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

st sandy wrote: Sun 09 Aug 2020 5:04pm Saynta

Thanks
Here ya go, St Sandy, cut out the middle man - a copy of an email sent to me this morning;

"Thought you may be interested in this. This is a link to a hub update provided by Ratts and Lethers a few days ago. Hopefully the link works!"

<iframe title="vimeo-player" src="" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> "

I can confirm the link does work, at least it did for me.

It was done a coupla days prior to the game against Port. It was done for the sponsors and coteries, with them having an opportunity to post questions on the tech facility.

Beva in Melbourne, Lethers and Ratts in the Noosa hub.

Goes for about an hour.

Message has been passed on to Beva, re the light on his bonce making his bonce appear almost translucent.

Love Ratts, the man's a gem - perfect bloke to have coaching in the times of thuh VIRUS!!

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
ace
Saintsational Legend

The Ashes revealed as inspiration for St Kilda’s blistering month of football that rocketed it to the AFL’s top three
The Ashes might be sport’s most inspiring event. A coach on the hunt for something to drive his Saints, Brett Ratten enlisted the help of cricket legends like Mike Hussey and Greg Chappell for an Ashes theme. It’s worked, Lauren Wood writes.

The urn has had pride of place at the front of every team meeting.

At just 10cm tall, the replica of the original Ashes urn – the symbol of cricket’s greatest rivalry between Australia and England – has been a key element in surging the Saints to third on the ladder in a different ball game, and potentially higher should they claim tonight’s clash with Geelong.

Coaches are always hunting inspiration.

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge famously turned to the gobstopper scene in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory in his team’s premiership campaign, while Richmond counterpart Damien Hardwick left weekly gifts for his players in 2019 with that week’s message cleverly intertwined.

When the AFL was relocated out of Victoria, with initial plans for a five-week block, St Kilda coach Brett Ratten and his colleagues got cracking.

“It was about trying to come up with something that had five events in it,” Ratten told the Herald Sun.

“Whether it was maybe a war, or car racing, it didn’t matter what. But then one of the coaches mentioned ‘The Ashes have got five’.
“A lot of people were involved in cricket or know cricket, and a lot of players play at the club and muck around and things like that. It connected with them.

“We bought a little Ashes urn and it’s been sitting in the meeting room on a table.

“It’s brilliant.”

The mentality drove the Saints, who to add an edge framed each game – starting against the Dockers in Round 6 – as an Ashes Test, starting at “Edgbaston”, and ending last week against Gold Coast at “The Oval”.

After the loss to Fremantle in the first “Test” of the series, Ratten joked that “maybe we should burn it”.

But with the help of Australian cricketing greats – including players and coaches like Mike Hussey and Greg Chappell, plus others whose involvement the club has chosen not to reveal – the Saints won the next four games to, replica aside, “take home the urn” to Noosa.

“It was a good one for us, because they go into a hub situation over there in England,” Ratten said.

“The guys have spoken about their experiences and we’ve tied it back to us, and even some of the series that they’ve been involved in, they lost games as well, so they talked about how they responded.

“There was a really good connection there for the players.”

The cricket achievements of the likes of Chappell and “Mr Cricket” Hussey – who played a combined total of 166 Tests in the baggy green – didn’t go unnoticed by the players, who were treated to playing vision as part of the project.

“(Chappell) was not just one of the great cricketers of his time, but also a great coach,” Ratten said.

“He coached India, and was an Australian selector.

“It’s been really good. It’s a different voice, and we’re up here for a while, so it was good to change it up.”

The players have embraced the different tack as they embarked on the most mentally and physically challenging period of football in history.

“You’ve got to win three out of the five to win the urn,” star midfielder Jack Steele said.

“I think we might have been 3-2 when we came up, and if we could turn that into 6-4 before we came home, then that would be a win.

“Josh Battle and Jake Carlisle, those guys played cricket at a pretty high level, and Jack Sinclair, Jack Lonie, Gears … there’s not too many that aren’t into cricket.

“We all love it. When we were at Moorabbin, we’d be always playing cricket in the gym and changerooms. There’d constantly be a game going. I miss that. But we’re still enjoying time up here.”
Last edited by ace on Sun 09 Aug 2020 5:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Bit of a fluff piece.
It was initially supposed to be 5 weeks in quarantine so they likened it to an Ashes series.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"