Memo to the Geary knockers

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: Memo to the Geary knockers

If you compare him with similar body and matchup types in our side, who is he keeping out of the side? He is obviously a good mental, or was, piece of the jigsaw to have on the board you would think, given our youth and high ratio of newcomers.

Is Geary now more value than Robertson over, say, a six game streak? I say six because, you can’t expect Dr. Robert to come in and blow the lights out first run. But over six games, I’d say Robbo would be better? Does anyone agree? Or is Robbo injured?

Nest up, Savage. Is Gears more value than Savage? I’m gonna say I lean on Geary’s side, jus5 and barely, mostly because Gears swung forward for a few. But line ball.

Then, who is next? Long? Long is still plenty iffy in my book. (under 15-cs trainer here) Burst player? Still, Longs explosiveness vs Gears’s steadiness? Again a close call. I’m leaning to Long.

Paton way above Gears in value already? I suppose that is the consensus.

Dougal, Wilkie and Carlisle don’t count in the conversation.

Ross? Had been in a small defenderish kinda role as well as tunnelballer as usual? But I don’t think he counts as a competitor to Gears’s for a seat on the team. Does he?

To me, it’s coming down to Roberton, Savage and Gears. I think Gears ranks maybe twoish-three in that bunch.

That combined with the fact that he is our long serving, loyal and respected captain means that he won’t go unless he gives us the excuse for a dignified ‘rest’ . He’ll be there if we make the finals....and it is a big ‘if’, let’s face it.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Groovy Guru
Club Player

A lot of passengers last night ..... Geary should never have been one of them, but he was the worst.

As bad a captains game as you will ever see.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Groovy Guru wrote: Tue 11 Aug 2020 4:37pm A lot of passengers last night ..... Geary should never have been one of them, but he was the worst.

As bad a captains game as you will ever see.
That is succinct.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Geary is a player who has gotten the most out of himself. One of the bravest, most hard working players I've seen at the Saints. His deficiencies are well known, but he sets an example on and off the field with his better qualities that few others in the team can display to the same level. That's why he is captain. He is 32 years old coming off a 2019 where he had two significant injuries. It won't be long before a new captain will have to take over. He's had some good games this year and a couple of poor ones. In a team that is now getting filled up with players who have very good foot skills, and an obvious emphasis being put on that by the coach, it's really about getting Geary to play specific shut down roles. Against Geelong, he was given the wrong opponent, simple as that. He should never be put on a player who is a lot taller and stronger than him and great in the air. Playing on Johannissen from the Dogs...right opponent...great job done by Geary. Tom Stewart was a completely different task which would have been suited to Dylan Roberton, but not Geary.

Yes, he has his deficiencies. Yes, he's getting old. But don't judge him on a role that he is not equipped to perform.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Tue 11 Aug 2020 3:37pm
saintsRrising wrote: Tue 11 Aug 2020 3:35pm Statistically this is, even allowing for the shortened quarters, his worst season even in most measures.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc- ... rryn-geary

Never quick, he has probably lost a yard (or should I say metre ). At at only 183cm this also limits on who he can match up on. Other defenders this year also have better offensive sides.

Also this year his best games have been against North, Swans, Dockers,Crows and Blues.
To be fair - he started our run (and his new role as a defensive forward) by obliterating Jason Johannisen of the Dogs in R 2
Big claim to state that he started our run as we has many players playing very well that game.

Yes true he played well in limiting JJ that day (though Geary had a season low 3 disposals) , but is it obliterating when JJ has been poor in most games this season? A lot of Doggies have been calling for him to be dropped.

JJ is having a season to forget this year, and it is his worst season since 2014.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc- ... johannisen

Geary now in stopping players generally does not stop them as well as he used to, and also is not gaining as many disposals as well himself. So both his defensive game and offensive game is suffering at present.

Geary has been a great asset for us, but right here and now I am not really sure he deserves spot in our 22 on form.

So the question for me is our team good enough to carry him? For me the answer is no.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Sanctorum
Club Player

I can't deny that I've been calling for Geary to be replaced as captain, going back to the end of last season, mainly because I believe he does not possess the skills to lead the team by example, a fundamental requirement for a leader in any sphere of life.

But when the coaches started to play him a few months ago as a lock-down forward, a role that he embraced with considerable success. I felt that he was proving me wrong.

Then last night when Geelong started to dominate it looked to me that the team was literally leaderless, like a ship on a stormy sea that had lost its rudder, leaking goals in a way that was totally out of character for the 2020 Saints.

When the team was under siege the captain was nowhere to be found - on AFL stats Geary scored 9 Fantasy points with 4 disposals, all handballs and just 1 tackle, the lowest of the 22 players. These are damning statistics in any context and totally unacceptable for the leader of the team. Maybe he was injured???

If the selectors pick the best 22 for the next match against Essendon it would be reasonable to assume that Jarryn Geary will be replaced. We'll wait and see....

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Geary is an onfield liability and not a best 22 player - end story.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Tue 11 Aug 2020 7:01pm Geary is a player who has gotten the most out of himself. One of the bravest, most hard working players I've seen at the Saints. His deficiencies are well known, but he sets an example on and off the field with his better qualities that few others in the team can display to the same level. That's why he is captain. He is 32 years old coming off a 2019 where he had two significant injuries. It won't be long before a new captain will have to take over. He's had some good games this year and a couple of poor ones. In a team that is now getting filled up with players who have very good foot skills, and an obvious emphasis being put on that by the coach, it's really about getting Geary to play specific shut down roles. Against Geelong, he was given the wrong opponent, simple as that. He should never be put on a player who is a lot taller and stronger than him and great in the air. Playing on Johannissen from the Dogs...right opponent...great job done by Geary. Tom Stewart was a completely different task which would have been suited to Dylan Roberton, but not Geary.

Yes, he has his deficiencies. Yes, he's getting old. But don't judge him on a role that he is not equipped to perform.
So what you are saying is he should not have been picked. If he wasn't captain, would he have been?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 11 Aug 2020 9:43pm
cwrcyn wrote: Tue 11 Aug 2020 7:01pm Geary is a player who has gotten the most out of himself. One of the bravest, most hard working players I've seen at the Saints. His deficiencies are well known, but he sets an example on and off the field with his better qualities that few others in the team can display to the same level. That's why he is captain. He is 32 years old coming off a 2019 where he had two significant injuries. It won't be long before a new captain will have to take over. He's had some good games this year and a couple of poor ones. In a team that is now getting filled up with players who have very good foot skills, and an obvious emphasis being put on that by the coach, it's really about getting Geary to play specific shut down roles. Against Geelong, he was given the wrong opponent, simple as that. He should never be put on a player who is a lot taller and stronger than him and great in the air. Playing on Johannissen from the Dogs...right opponent...great job done by Geary. Tom Stewart was a completely different task which would have been suited to Dylan Roberton, but not Geary.

So what you are saying is he should not have been picked. If he wasn't captain, would he have been?
Sounds like Dylan should have been picked then.

It was said early this season that Saints would be making some selections on a horses for courses basis.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Tue 11 Aug 2020 3:37pm To be fair - he started our run (and his new role as a defensive forward) by obliterating Jason Johannisen of the Dogs in R 2
JJ had 14 disposals to Geary's 3 disposals. JJ has averaged 15.6 in 2020. Wouldn't say he obliterated him.

I think the best thing about Geary's move forward is that it got him out of the backline. He's a liability up forward, but that's better than having a liability in defence. There is no weak link in terms of disposal in our current backline which has helped immensely.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Johannissen has 40 possessions the previous time we played the Dogs, so keeping him to 14 was a damn good outcome. It's clear that Geary's range of playing options is shrinking. He's like a man on a small atoll with the sea level rising quickly. Pretty soon the water will be up over his knees. He still has a role to play, but it appears that role now is a purely negative one outside of the backline, where younger players with more speed and skill have taken his role. He is now consigned to the role of tagging small forward. It's an important role, but not entirely necessary against some teams. This is the dilemna the coach has. When that role is not really required, what happens then? Will it be better to put a creative, dangerous player in his place? An agonising choice for the coach and the selection panel. Maybe in those circumstances Gary will be 'managed'.

Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Wed 12 Aug 2020 3:30am
CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 11 Aug 2020 9:43pm

Sounds like Dylan should have been picked then.

It was said early this season that Saints would be making some selections on a horses for courses basis.
Marsh should have been given the task on Stewart, big, quick, hard at it! Also can take a grab.

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote: Wed 12 Aug 2020 3:40am
Saintmatt wrote: Tue 11 Aug 2020 3:37pm To be fair - he started our run (and his new role as a defensive forward) by obliterating Jason Johannisen of the Dogs in R 2
JJ had 14 disposals to Geary's 3 disposals. JJ has averaged 15.6 in 2020. Wouldn't say he obliterated him.

I think the best thing about Geary's move forward is that it got him out of the backline. He's a liability up forward, but that's better than having a liability in defence. There is no weak link in terms of disposal in our current backline which has helped immensely.
I understand what you're saying but pure numbers mean nothing here. Many times in the past it's been JJ that's slaughtered us. The 14 possessions he had on Gears were deep and under pressure. He generated zero drive - even when they were up in the 1st q and came again in the 3rd q. Gears did a terrific job that night.

That said - our Skipper's time to move on is coming rapidly. I always thought it was an indictment on our football department and recruiters that we could not find one good player to lead our club post Roo. I always felt like Gears just happened to be the best available. I wish Gears well but let's start moving quickly into the Steele era. And for the record - no, not Seb Ross - Steele. I couldn't give a flying fvck whether Ross' VC or whatever - he's barely best 22 himself based on this season.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

For integrity of selection we cannot have a player selected because he is Captain. It is devaluing the jumper and the position of Captain.

This is a small bind at present but should his form continue and he becomes a liability in whichever position they select him for it will fester and become an unwanted standard.

Three solutions should matches like last Monday become the norm, he falls on his sword and retires OR he's out with one of those tricky to manage "calf" injuries OR they make a statement to all players and drop him.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Hopefully Geary makes it easy for selectors and has an injury.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!