So will we play finals?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

casey scorp
Club Player

Re: So will we play finals?

bangaulegend wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 10:02pm
Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 9:33pm Yes to finals - out in straights
Not even sure we can make it but yeah even if we do you're right out in straight sets but it gives us some passion to go one better next year :wink:
The only way you can go "out in straights" is to finish in the top 4. I think that's a bit of a stretch.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Beat Melbourne, beat Hawthorn, we play finals.
The top 5 has already formed.
Port Adelaide, Brisbane, Geelong West Coast, Richmond
Finish 8th you have to play one them.
Finish 6th or 7th you have a chance to win at least one final.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

It’s important to make finals for Ratts sake, and thus th team.

Making the finals is the third most remembered accolade in the public perception, which feeds back into team and club psych influencing our ‘ddestination status’

1) won flag
2) won a final
3) made finals
4) failed to make finals
5) spoon

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 9:33pm Yes to finals - out in straights
On yesterday’s performance I reckon a certain team will end up going out in straight sets, again, and It won’t be us.

This was also confirmed to me after listening to the coach’s press conference after the game where he said something like: game should have been over at three quarter time. Nothing to see here.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

More likely than unlikely to play finals - but if a few results in other games go against us then could just miss out

Would be devastating for players and supporters alike given we’ve been inside the 8 for most of the season.

If we do make it , I expect we won’t get too far - but the experience will be great for the young guys and will spur them on over summer.

Making finals is crucial as it will help attract the one or 2 extra players we are trying to lure from other clubs. We may even become a destination club with all the press around how good Ratts is as a coach.

Players looking tired. I noted Clark’s disposal was a bit off in his last 2 games which I put down to tiredness and lack of concentration. Was not surprised to see him rested.

Look at King and some of his second efforts are non existent compared to earlier in the year. He looks like he needs a rest
but you need to balance that against putting experience into him and fast tracking his development.

There are others in the same boat.

Hope I am wrong and we go deep in the finals.
How good would that be !

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
older saint
SS Life Member

If good enough beat Melbourne and Hawthorn ( both out of the 8) which is what finals teams do.

GWS may well be cooked by the time we play them so if we go 3-1 and put up a good show v WC that is not an unreasonable expectation.

11-7 would have us 6/7.
Not good enough yet need another class mid and natural development .

That said i think come finals - Geel, Richmond and WC are a level above everyone else.

Brisbane next ( if they learn to kick ) , Collingwood too many injuries but experience. Port to me pretenders and WB like Melbourne weather - great or terrible.

Right match up we get to week 2 and if get Port perhaps Premiin -best case scenario

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 11:33pm
Next year could see improvement ( fingers crossed )
The team we fielded yesterday had 9 players in it with less than 50 games. Clark to come back only has 41 games.

Butler and Howard both only on 58 games and started the year on 45 each.

We have a lot players who are going to get better. So I personally am most confident of a lot of improvement just from the players that we already have.

But yes we need a gun mid to go with Steele.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bergsone
SS Life Member

To play a big part in finals I feel we will need more midfield depth.Anybody have a report on how far away are Hanners and Dunstan are

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

If we make finals that will have exceeded my expectations for this year. Thought we might move up to 9th or 10th with improvement, so a 6th or 7th would be a good effort given where we were last year.
I fancy us to beat Melb, Hawthorn and GWS so reckon we’ll make it.

SunnyErnest
Club Player

If we beat Melbourne yes. If we lose to Melbourne it's anyone's guess.

Who is StoneCold??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
To the top
SS Life Member

We finish with 3 sides outside the 8 and one sude in the 8

We have our fate in our own hands courtesy of performances to date

We can finish the seasons of Melbourne and GWS

And we have a Finals preview v WCE

If you get to Finals the season starts again and anything can happen

SunnyErnest
Club Player

The strange thing is we could still finish top 4 but also might miss the top 8 as well. That’s how close it is this year.

Who is StoneCold??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
apples1403

I expect we will make finals but not go deep

In the BL match we win if Clark plays - really missed his composure and ability to find a target up the field.

Re Brad Hill - yes he is not performing at 100% - but I think that is because the team has had severely limited time training as a full team and the other players are not used to looking for him and using him. When he gets the ball he is devastating

The connection will come with time and full team training

And yes we desperately need a big bodied inside/outside A-grade midfielder to complete our team

Go Saints!

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

apples1403 wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 1:22pm I expect we will make finals but not go deep

In the BL match we win if Clark plays - really missed his composure and ability to find a target up the field.

Re Brad Hill - yes he is not performing at 100% - but I think that is because the team has had severely limited time training as a full team and the other players are not used to looking for him and using him. When he gets the ball he is devastating

The connection will come with time and full team training

And yes we desperately need a big bodied inside/outside A-grade midfielder to complete our team

Go Saints!
1000% agree. We have 5 new players who've spent 1 pre-season learning a new gameplan under a new coach and then trying to stitch it all together with 'groups of 8' training midweek. We were going to be up against it in 2020 even with everything being normal. I think we've done a magnificent job thus far achieving what we have.

Re: the Bris Lions game - they were missing Rich and Martin; we were missing Hunter and Gresh. In the context of those players importance to their teams ... it was about even. We should have been out of the game had the kicked better but, we still had to have the pluck to fight and stay in it. And let's face it - for 9 of the last 10 mins ... it was us who looked most likely to win (same with the last 90 seconds of the North and Freo games too).

I keep mentioning whenever I can but Jye Caldwell from GWS is out of contract. He'd be perfect. I'd love us to part with our first pick this year and just get him. Fits the age profile perfectly and is (1) more getable than Kelly, Whitfield and Williams (even if I would love them) and (2) would cost a whole heap less.

Go you red, black & white warriors
SunnyErnest
Club Player

ace wrote: Mon 24 Aug 2020 1:25am Beat Melbourne, beat Hawthorn, we play finals.
The top 5 has already formed.
Port Adelaide, Brisbane, Geelong West Coast, Richmond
Finish 8th you have to play one them.
Finish 6th or 7th you have a chance to win at least one final.
Actually, if we beat Melbourne it would take a miracle for us to miss finals.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Think we win 3 of our last 4. Melbourne, Hawthorn and GWS. Hopefully by the time we play GWS they are completely out of finals contention.

SunnyErnest
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 1:42pm Think we win 3 of our last 4. Melbourne, Hawthorn and GWS. Hopefully by the time we play GWS they are completely out of finals contention.
If you are right then the game against the Eagles will determine who gets fourth spot.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Getting slightly more confident about beating Melbourne this week, looking at their latest winning run, 2 we’re against Adelaide and North, and the other an under strength Collingwood, so maybe not as good form as I initially thought!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Nice to have that in our hands at this time of year. Lately those chances have been a multi: winning all our games and some teams losing all theirs, all up a coaching stoke of genius by AR.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Torn