Trade and Free Agency period

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SunnyErnest
Club Player

Trade and Free Agency period

For the Saints to win a be premiership next year this is what I recommend......

Try and grab either Josh Kelly or Zack Williams as free agents. By all means go for both if at all possible. If we did get both (unlikely), then we would need to get rid of Dunstan and a few others to fit them in. Then obviously we would take whatever picks we have to the draft.

Would this be possible or is it a pipe dream?

Who is StoneCold??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
longtimesaint
Club Player

Re: Trade and Free Agency period

Are they both free agents and if so I presume restricted.
GWS would need to reduce salary cap or else they would match the offer.

One year will be our year
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think the hope is that continued stagnation by GWS and GC may be what prise some of those players loose

If I was Kelly and wanted to spend a reasonable proportion of my career playing some finals in front of excited fans, I would perhaps start exploring my options now

SunnyErnest
Club Player

longtimesaint wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 11:57am Are they both free agents and if so I presume restricted.
They are both FA’s however I am not sure if they are restricted or not. If we got both of them we would definitely need to trade players out for draft picks because there would be no money left in the SC. But that’s ok. Imagine if we got pick 30 for Dunstan, pick 40 for Lonie and pick 45 for Austin. Package those 3 picks up, throw in another player and grab a pick in the teens. Then we take our FRD pick (12ish) and say 18 and grab the next Coffield and Clark.

What do you think? Possible? Good good plan?

Who is StoneCold??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

And who my dears do we think SunnyErnest might be?

diddley
Club Player

SunnyErnest wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 1:34pm
longtimesaint wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 11:57am Are they both free agents and if so I presume restricted.
They are both FA’s however I am not sure if they are restricted or not. If we got both of them we would definitely need to trade players out for draft picks because there would be no money left in the SC. But that’s ok. Imagine if we got pick 30 for Dunstan, pick 40 for Lonie and pick 45 for Austin. Package those 3 picks up, throw in another player and grab a pick in the teens. Then we take our FRD pick (12ish) and say 18 and grab the next Coffield and Clark.

Simply no to all of that.
First off, Kelly is not a FA. He is out of contract at the end of the year, but not a FA. Meaning he would cost money and picks. Lots of both. Williams is, and yes, restricted.
No one is going to pay pick 40 for Lonie. Austin would be worth nothing (Newnes was actually playing and we still let him go for nothing) Dunstan for 30 may be close, but would be more likely a sweetener much like Acres in the Hill deal (for instance 1st round pick and Dunstan for Josh Kelly. Not what I think will happen, but an example)
No one is giving a pick in the teens (1st round pick) to anyone for late round picks like 30+40+45. The value of a first round pick is worth more than 3 speculative picks.
Lastly, coffield and Clark were both top 8 picks, not top 18. Once again, the potential value is much higher. They are not the same thing.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SunnyErnest wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 12:07am For the Saints to win a be premiership next year this is what I recommend......

Try and grab either Josh Kelly or Zack Williams as free agents. By all means go for both if at all possible. If we did get both (unlikely), then we would need to get rid of Dunstan and a few others to fit them in. Then obviously we would take whatever picks we have to the draft.

Would this be possible or is it a pipe dream?
Kelly is a pipe dream. You would have to trade, and his trade cost would be very high.

Zac Williams is in theory gettable, but he is a NSW boy, and likes living in Sydney. Expect the Swans to chase him.

You can see who is a FA and who is a RFA here:
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-20 ... 24583e8d41

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

Brad Crouch (Adelaide)

Joe Daniher (Essendon)

Jeremy Cameron (GWS)

Aidan Corr (GWS)

Zac Williams (GWS)

Jack Viney (Melbourne)

Brad Ebert (Port Adelaide)

With unrestricted FA's with respect to GWS the cupboard is very bare:
GWS GIANTS

Sam Reid (rookie)

Tom Sheridan (rookie)

Zachary Sproule (rookie)

Note, no Kelly, and indeed so quality UFA's at all.

At WCE Gaff has the contract option to be a UFA if he wants. It would be very hard to prise him loose.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
To the top
SS Life Member

What we need to be mindful of is that, apart from Ryder and Carlisle, we have assembled a quality group of young players who no doubt have the relationships they have with others in that demographic

So you would expect they are all on the same page

Those I refer to probably number some 25, including Ryder and Carlisle and including the likes of Byrnes, Austin, Claravino so young players being groomed

Roberton is a more experienced player we would welcome back as is Hannebery, both included in the 25 we need to protect and invest into

In chasing, they need to be a Free Agent where compensation is provided by the AFL because we do not wish to disrupt that 25, or should not

That says we need to bide time - and seek out another Steele in the meantime

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 8:19pm And who my dears do we think SunnyErnest might be?
Nexus?

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 9:38pm
st.byron wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 8:19pm And who my dears do we think SunnyErnest might be?
Nexus?
Perhaps??? Also possibly another Ted head.

SaintDippa
Club Player

Does Zac Williams bring anything greater than we get from Webster? For me watching Williams like for like.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Suggested benchmarks: 185cm or taller; around 80 - 85kg, one grabber, can kick. Ave 20 touches or more (actual/probable). Fierce competitor. Born between 1996 and 2002. Pay premium for that and be prepared to be patient till he comes along. Name cannot be Jack, Zac or Hunter; causes confusion in packs. Move on at least 3 current players.

SaintDippa
Club Player

@Yorkeys (if l knew how to embed posts I would).
After the Cats touched us up I looked at their player profiles.
99% matched your player spec. Reason why they will make the grannie but lose to the Sainters.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Wed 26 Aug 2020 10:41am
Nexus?
It's Ted

Nee!
johnearljames
Club Player

I would take Crouch as a FA if possible but then again, I don't run the joint.

A couple of Sydney based players are being looked at.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote: Wed 26 Aug 2020 12:46pm
st.byron wrote: Wed 26 Aug 2020 10:41am
Nexus?
It's Ted

One can have a whole thread with Ted-Heads in it.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigred
Saintsational Legend

A pick in the 40's for Lonie is not unrealistic.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
diddley
Club Player

bigred wrote: Wed 26 Aug 2020 9:59pm A pick in the 40's for Lonie is not unrealistic.
Butler was traded for pick 56 last year (in hindsight, a bargain) and he is an upgrade on Lonie, even by last years standards.

That’s the closest example of what the trade would be worth at best.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Richmond wanted to offload.

There is a difference. A club like Melbourne should be having a long hard look at Lonie.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
diddley
Club Player

bigred wrote: Wed 26 Aug 2020 11:14pm Richmond wanted to offload.

There is a difference. A club like Melbourne should be having a long hard look at Lonie.
Lonie put himself on the market at the end of 2018, after we offered him 1 year. He had no offers, and ended up settling for a deal with us for 2 years. In that 2 years, he has been in and out of the team, and is considered fringe at best. He is not going to have many pursuers.

SunnyErnest
Club Player

Excuse me?

SunnyErnest
Club Player

diddley wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 8:20pm
SunnyErnest wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 1:34pm

Simply no to all of that.
First off, Kelly is not a FA. He is out of contract at the end of the year, but not a FA. Meaning he would cost money and picks. Lots of both. Williams is, and yes, restricted.
No one is going to pay pick 40 for Lonie. Austin would be worth nothing (Newnes was actually playing and we still let him go for nothing) Dunstan for 30 may be close, but would be more likely a sweetener much like Acres in the Hill deal (for instance 1st round pick and Dunstan for Josh Kelly. Not what I think will happen, but an example)
No one is giving a pick in the teens (1st round pick) to anyone for late round picks like 30+40+45. The value of a first round pick is worth more than 3 speculative picks.
Lastly, coffield and Clark were both top 8 picks, not top 18. Once again, the potential value is much higher. They are not the same thing.
Sorry, didn't realise that Kelly was not a FA. I thought he was.
I think Lonie is definitely worth pick 40.
You said that Austin is worth nothing. Well I'm not even going to comment on that.
Dunstan is easily worth pick 30.
I didn't say anyone would give us a teen pick for 3 late picks. We would need to include a player as well. If you asked me which player I would probably say Sinclair. So that would be Sinclair + picks 30, 40 and 45 for pick 18.....You never know if you don't have a go.

SunnyErnest
Club Player

Nexus?
Excuse me?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

diddley wrote: Wed 26 Aug 2020 11:41pm
bigred wrote: Wed 26 Aug 2020 11:14pm Richmond wanted to offload.

Lonie put himself on the market at the end of 2018, after we offered him 1 year. He had no offers, and ended up settling for a deal with us for 2 years. In that 2 years, he has been in and out of the team, and is considered fringe at best. He is not going to have many pursuers.
Collingwood offered Lonie a two-year contract which we matched.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Faulky63
Club Player

Remember that we also traded our 2020 2nd & 3rd round draft picks away so we might have to do something to get back into the draft.