Collingwood response re: Robbie Muir

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

happy feet
Club Player

Re: Collingwood response re: Robbie Muir

bigcarl wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 6:16am
SaintPav wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 1:53am
StPeter wrote: Mon 24 Aug 2020 10:55pm
Enrico_Misso wrote: Mon 24 Aug 2020 10:16pm Any word from the Shaw brothers?
Tony Shaw said on 3AW that brother Ray completely denies the allegation and is considering legal action.... hmmmmm
Legal action?

The guy is broke. What does he want? The donations from his GoFundMe drive?!

Oldest trick in the book. You don’t threaten legal action. You just do it.

Idiots.
Under our quaint and archaic libel laws he can sue the ABC for publishing the allegations. That might be what he has in mind.
I remember my Dad saying in the 1970’s that Ray Shaw was known in VFL circles as “The Spit”. Any other older fans remember this?

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
StPeter
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 11:59am
saynta wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 11:57am
bigcarl wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 11:48am
saynta wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 11:34am
Tony Shaw said on 3AW that brother Ray completely denies the allegation and is considering legal action.... hmmmmm
Legal action?

Idiots.
Under our quaint and archaic libel laws he can sue the ABC for publishing the allegations. That might be what he has in mind.
Truth would be a defence I would have thought.
I’d expect so. The laws differ from state to state. It’s a minefield of things conceived hundreds of years before the web and social media. You’d need an expert in defamation law to untangle it
Yeah, that's why Litigants pick the jurisdiction where truth is not an absolute defence and whether or not in the public interest comes into it. Still Robbie would have a good chance of successfully defending any action but only an idiot sues someone with no money and I'm sure the ABC ran it past it's lawyers first. Shaw is an idiot though but his name would be mud in this day and age if he went through with his threat.
I agree. It’s a hollow threat and nothing will come of it
Tony Shaw also claimed Ray Shaw was contacted for comment before the article was published and said his name was not to be used in the story.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 2:54pm
Legal action?

Idiots.
I remember my Dad saying in the 1970’s that Ray Shaw was known in VFL circles as “The Spit”. Any other older fans remember this?
Filthy footballers, both the Shaw brothers. Tony was known for being a foul mouth on the footy field and yes, his brother for spitting. The younger generation isn't/wasn't much better.

What else would you expect from the filth. I remember going to Filth park as a kid kitted up to be a mascot as clubs were wont to do in those days and being spat on by adult filth supporters. My hate to this day knows no bounds.

The absolute best day of my life was when we beat those shitbags by a point in the 1966 grannie.

My second best day came the year before when we beat those mongrels in the finals, also by a point. Can't remember if it was the prelim final or the second semi. Someone will know.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

StPeter wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 3:25pm Tony Shaw also claimed Ray Shaw was contacted for comment before the article was published and said his name was not to be used in the story.
Interesting. I’d say the ABC ran it by their lawyers and decided to publish anyway

CarlD
Club Player

Would like to see Ray Shaw take the matter to court. Could get very interesting - character witnesses and all that :twisted:

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

CarlD wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 4:36pm Would like to see Ray Shaw take the matter to court. Could get very interesting - character witnesses and all that :twisted:
:twisted: :evil: :twisted:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 4:27pm
StPeter wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 3:25pm Tony Shaw also claimed Ray Shaw was contacted for comment before the article was published and said his name was not to be used in the story.
Interesting. I’d say the ABC ran it by their lawyers and decided to publish anyway
IIRC the article stated that Muir was reported for striking Ray Shaw and he claimed at the Tribunal that Shaw spat on him.
If that is an accurate portrayal of what occurred (report and defense claim) then there is nothing to sue for - it's a historical fact.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Didn’t the umpire say that there was a lot of spit flying around?

Didn’t Tony Shaw a few years ago speak about his regret of racist insults he used to upset indigenous players. I think he said it was “just the way things were then”.

A claytons apology if I ever heard one.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 1:14pm
skeptic wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 1:01pm
The Fireman wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 12:58pm Just another of the many reasons why Collingwood is the most hated club.
Ask a Collingwood supporter about it and they have no idea even the filth that frequented Vic Park back in the day will deny it saying all clubs were the same.
I went to all the grounds and never saw anything like what went on at Vic Park. Nothing changed at later venues.
They really are a $hit supporter base.
Always thought the Cat’s fans at Kardinia were something else too.
100% agree. Geelong & their seriously entitled bunch of hick redneck supporters are the pits. Interestingly in the article on Rob's - apart from Shaw ... Geelong was the only other club that he singled out. And to be accurate - it wasn't just one Colingwood Ray Shaw but a whole group of Geelong players that were taunting him from the boundary on game day. I mean FFS - that's the game where Rob took his jumper off and held it up to the ar$ewipe Geelong players. The silence from Geelong over the past couple of days has been deafening. Fvcking despise Geelong and Rob's story has done nothing to remedy that.
Hate breeds hate, I don't think that was Robs intention. I think he's looking for healing and for this to be about education and evolution.

In a sense if the narrative gets hijacked by the clubs and individuals mentioned in the article and/or other media outlets see an opportunity to leverage from the ABC piece then that will be a shame.

It's not about Shaw or Geelong. Hopefully the ball keeps bouncing towards the goal.

George27
Club Player

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 4:50pm
The Fireman wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 12:58pm Just another of the many reasons why Collingwood is the most hated club.
Ask a Collingwood supporter about it and they have no idea even the filth that frequented Vic Park back in the day will deny it saying all clubs were the same.
I went to all the grounds and never saw anything like what went on at Vic Park. Nothing changed at later venues.
100% agree. Geelong & their seriously entitled bunch of hick redneck supporters are the pits. Interestingly in the article on Rob's - apart from Shaw ... Geelong was the only other club that he singled out. And to be accurate - it wasn't just one Colingwood Ray Shaw but a whole group of Geelong players that were taunting him from the boundary on game day. I mean FFS - that's the game where Rob took his jumper off and held it up to the ar$ewipe Geelong players. The silence from Geelong over the past couple of days has been deafening. Fvcking despise Geelong and Rob's story has done nothing to remedy that.
Hate breeds hate, I don't think that was Robs intention. I think he's looking for healing and for this to be about education and evolution.

In a sense if the narrative gets hijacked by the clubs and individuals mentioned in the article and/or other media outlets see an opportunity to leverage from the ABC piece then that will be a shame.

It's not about Shaw or Geelong. Hopefully the ball keeps bouncing towards the goal.
Very well said , SK

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

I agree - the key tenet early of the story was that Rob would help anyone in need out of the goodness of his heart but, when he needed help; it was pretty much just Coco and the tumbleweeds. My supreme dislike of Geelong has almost none to do with Rob, his story and his experiences - his recollections of that day merely re-affirmed my feelings towards them and their hick supporter base.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 5:19pm

I agree - the key tenet early of the story was that Rob would help anyone in need out of the goodness of his heart but, when he needed help; it was pretty much just Coco and the tumbleweeds. My supreme dislike of Geelong has almost none to do with Rob, his story and his experiences - his recollections of that day merely re-affirmed my feelings towards them and their hick supporter base.
Fair enough.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Haven't the filth apologised?

Perhaps Shaw and the Club better get on the same page.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 4:39pm Didn’t the umpire say that there was a lot of spit flying around?

Didn’t Tony Shaw a few years ago speak about his regret of racist insults he used to upset indigenous players. I think he said it was “just the way things were then”.

A claytons apology if I ever heard one.
Correct. Filthy little mongrel. Beneath contempt. There were others but he was by far the worst.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 4:38pm
IIRC the article stated that Muir was reported for striking Ray Shaw and he claimed at the Tribunal that Shaw spat on him.
If that is an accurate portrayal of what occurred (report and defense claim) then there is nothing to sue for - it's a historical fact.
That sounds about right. Ray Shaw cannot decide that he is not to be mentioned in a report on a tribunal hearing that happened 40 years ago.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 7:01pm
Mr Magic wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 4:38pm
That sounds about right. Ray Shaw cannot decide that he is not to be mentioned in a report on a tribunal hearing that happened 40 years ago.
correct

mcadam05
Club Player

Im very surprised we have not had a peep out of Geelong , having senior players on the sidelines of a reserves game for fucksake abusing a opposition player is just mind blogging too me
Last edited by mcadam05 on Wed 26 Aug 2020 11:59pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Enrico_Misso wrote: Mon 24 Aug 2020 10:58pm
"Shaw" is a four letter word!
I was standing in the outer at Victoria Park the day Robbie clocked Ray Shaw. It was in the vicinity of the Bob Rose stand, the members' on the opposite side, and Robbie was running towards the railway end and Shaw the opposite way. Robbie turned around and sprinted towards Shaw and laid one on him. I was told after the match Shaw was alleged to have spat at him. This incident, as well as Rene Kink being suspended for slagging at Jezza, became part of the Aussie vernacular as a "Collingwood Handshake". Similar to the headbutt known as The Liverpool Kiss.

Robbie was quite upfront when the Tribunal asked him why he punched Shaw; threw him straight under the bus. Robbie copped 4 weeks, Shaw got a pat on the back. Effen disgraceful. With the Kink / Jezza case, no punches thrown but Link copped 6. The difference between the two cases? Robert Muir.

Disgraceful.

Saint supporter since '62