Eagles looking ordinary back in the Qld hub

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigD
Club Player

Eagles looking ordinary back in the Qld hub

Eagles are struggling against the Tigers tonight at Metricon.
Admittedly Kennedy was knocked out of the game early but the rest of the team look rather flat tonight.
They were dreadful earlier in the season when based in Qld.
Hopefully they will still continue to struggle with hub life come round 17 when we play them at The Gabba.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Eagles looking ordinary back in the Qld hub

I think the were pretty good considering they lost Kennedy early then it became a bit of a shot out & Richmonds pressure was bloody good.It does concern me when you see how good these two teams are where we actually sit. I realise we are a developing team but to get to the next level is going to be a big challenge IMO

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Tiges, WCE and Geelong, then some daylight to the hopefuls. Top 4 this year may not be as valuable as it normally is due to the finals series being played in Brisbane and will the week's break be as advantageous.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I think it is more that the Tigers are back looking pretty good.

As but one example. How good is Balta as a 20 year old.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

saintsRrising wrote: Fri 28 Aug 2020 10:46am I think it is more that the Tigers are back looking pretty good.

As but one example. How good is Balta as a 20 year old.
Yeah I agree Balta was amazing last night.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Balta did good. Came into his own when Kennedy went down and a 170cm 70kg guy who does not have a defensive instinct was put on him. More than a mismatch - Christmas. WCE are not the super team some suggest. It has tremendous top end talent but also several players that look either mediocre or only effective skiing downhill, and I think collectively WCE are a bit slow. Optus and affirmation effect inflate their perceived super team status. As Richmond demonstrated. We may not beat them in a couple of weeks but we will get them puffing.

1965 Saint
Club Player

They have a lot of injuries. Look at their emergencies last night. Scraping the bottom of the barrel except for Jetta but he has an attitude problem. They has Yeo, Redden, Allen, Nelson and Waterman out. All would make a big difference.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Why didn’t we get this version of Geelong?

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Goose is king wrote: Fri 28 Aug 2020 9:12pm Why didn’t we get this version of Geelong?
This is how we should have played against them. High pressure and fast ball movement.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
To the top
SS Life Member

Finals in Queensland will be interesting

Remember Finals would normally be starting now with the GF in Melbourne on the last Saturday of September - so 4 weeks time

So climate in Queensland during the Finals?

How testing will they be, especially for sides with ageing Lists?

Geelong has a history of their List struggling come Finals - and they are all a year older so running them off their legs is the option

I suspect that, given our best side on the park then, on the day, we will be competitive

Confidence will play a big part - and if our kids get a sniff they can run a side off their legs watch out

The progress of Port Adelaide, Brisbane, West Coast, Geelong and Richmond being the popular front runners will be of interest as we run into Finals- - given we get there of course

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: Fri 28 Aug 2020 9:21pm Finals in Queensland will be interesting

Remember Finals would normally be starting now with the GF in Melbourne on the last Saturday of September - so 4 weeks time

Geelong has a history of their List struggling come Finals - and they are all a year older so running them off their legs is the option

I suspect that, given our best side on the park then, on the day, we will be competitive

Confidence will play a big part - and if our kids get a sniff they can run a side off their legs watch out

The progress of Port Adelaide, Brisbane, West Coast, Geelong and Richmond being the popular front runners will be of interest as we run into Finals- - given we get there of course
I think if we take the game on we can beat anyone. But if we let the other team dictate then we can look quite ordinary.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

The_Dud wrote: Fri 28 Aug 2020 9:30pm
To the top wrote: Fri 28 Aug 2020 9:21pm Finals in Queensland will be interesting

I think if we take the game on we can beat anyone. But if we let the other team dictate then we can look quite ordinary.
IMO don't really have the cattle to be a real threat ATM but recruit well & who knows :wink:

BigD
Club Player

Two weeks later and a loss to the Bulldogs I still feel the Eagles are not the same away from Perth.
That and the four day break gives me some hope leading into this Thursday.
Having said all that, we will need to play a whole lot better than we have in recent weeks.
Mildly confident and definitely hopeful.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

BigD wrote: Tue 08 Sep 2020 9:42pm Two weeks later and a loss to the Bulldogs I still feel the Eagles are not the same away from Perth.
That and the four day break gives me some hope leading into this Thursday.
Having said all that, we will need to play a whole lot better than we have in recent weeks.
Mildly confident and definitely hopeful.
Will be all about centre clearance if we can nullify supply to the forward line we are half a chance . If Nic Nat is allowed to control the ruck we are in trouble our mid field will really need to dig deep or it could get ugly

stkfc1
Club Player

They are very, very getable. It will still need our A game, as their team have the better players on paper, but with their injuries, 3 games played in 10 day etc there's a good chance their going to be flat.
Hutchings out, McGovern hand issue, Nic Nat doesn't sound 100%.
We need to quell Sheed and Gaff out of the middle.
We must make McGovern accountable. We need to have Marshall and Battle rotating forward. We don't want King one out as McGovern will just do what May did and pick everything off.
Ryan needs to be sat on all night. He's the one that gets them going. Keep him quiet and we'll go along way to winning.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

stkfc1 wrote: Tue 08 Sep 2020 10:53pm They are very, very getable. It will still need our A game, as their team have the better players on paper, but with their injuries, 3 games played in 10 day etc there's a good chance their going to be flat.
Hutchings out, McGovern hand issue, Nic Nat doesn't sound 100%.
We need to quell Sheed and Gaff out of the middle.
We must make McGovern accountable. We need to have Marshall and Battle rotating forward. We don't want King one out as McGovern will just do what May did and pick everything off.
Ryan needs to be sat on all night. He's the one that gets them going. Keep him quiet and we'll go along way to winning.
This is a perfect game for Seb to get a job on Gaff or Sheed. Do your thing No 6!

Benny Paton tight on Ryan ... all night.

If McGovern is out - play normal game style.

If McGovern is in - do exactly what Port did two seasons ago and replicate their dirty ball plan ... literally skid the fvcking pill inside F50. Max is plenty good below his knees and get the smalls go to work.

Go you red, black & white warriors
stevie
Saintsational Legend

My cousin Liam Duggan (will captain the Eagles one day I reckon) has been their best player the last 3 weeks, giving them good drive from half back. I don’t mind if he plays well again as long as we win