We bombed out last night.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Leo.J
SS Life Member

We bombed out last night.

We could have bombed out of the finals last night, as we bombed out of the game.

We had 16 more fwd50 entries last night but we’re far too predictable with our long, high, loopy bombs, that are far too easy to defend, especially when the opposition load up in the defence as they all do these days.

The bomb is effective in moderation, not in saturation.

Is this a coaching issue, or is it a player driven issue? Or are we being out played and out coached being forced or pressured into the long bomb?

We need to sort it out quick, or finals will be out of reach...

thefatdork
Club Player

Re: We bombed out last night.

Shades of 2017, 18 and 19.
I thought we’d left the bomb behind but last night showed our lack of creativity. What’s that saying....”those who do not learn from history are condemned to repeat it.”
We’re a young team and hopefully we will learn this time around.
Go Saints!

SunnyErnest
Club Player

thefatdork wrote: Sun 30 Aug 2020 4:01pm Shades of 2017, 18 and 19.
I thought we’d left the bomb behind but last night showed our lack of creativity. What’s that saying....”those who do not learn from history are condemned to repeat it.”
Go Saints!
Lets hope we have learned. The game against the Hawks will tell. If we haven't learned then the Hawks will roll us along with our finals chances.

Who is StoneCold??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
carn_sainter
Club Player

SunnyErnest wrote: Mon 31 Aug 2020 2:34pm
thefatdork wrote: Sun 30 Aug 2020 4:01pm Shades of 2017, 18 and 19.
Go Saints!
Lets hope we have learned. The game against the Hawks will tell. If we haven't learned then the Hawks will roll us along with our finals chances.
Unfortunately I doubt they've learned anything.

It wasn't just this most recent game...it's been happening since the Port Adelaide game. We got seduced by the stats telling us we score close to goal, so why not just bomb it in there? We also got seduced by the fact that we crumbed well against Adelaide and Sydney...bottom 2 teams.

All the while we neglected to consider how very one dimensional and how very easy to defend we've become.

We've been playing poorly for about 4 weeks now. Unless we're on a fast break from defence, we've lost the ability to score. Very worrying.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Our forwards are just not goal scorers despite the labels the selectors give them. Is it not obvious that if you are not scoring regularly you are not a real forward - scoring, not style, counts. So frustrated the usual suspects are presented week in week out in the same way for the same crappy results until now it is too late to recover the season. The defenders, rucks and mids must be getting a bit miffed the ball just keeps pinging straight back. Our list must be quite poor if it does not include a couple of chaps with goal sense and a good kick that have been warehoused, for whatever reasons. Perhaps that is the sad reality, we do not have the cattle to be a finals side. Plenty of defenders, no offense - other than Butler who is a star. Some clubs recruit CHFs, I believe. We use Howard who could be a serviceable CHF, as a defender and let Austin sit in a corner. I wonder about that sometimes while waiting for 2020 to pass. But I am sure the coaching staff know what they are doing so patience, it will turn around.