Team balance and who'd you like to see this year?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stkfc1
Club Player

Team balance and who'd you like to see this year?

Think we're carrying one too many small forward types with Kent, Hind and Butler as they can't rotate through the middle.

Butler is a lock. One of the others has to go.

Quite a few players yet to get a guernsey this year and we need a point of difference.

Savage ok in his one game this year.

Parker and Marsh hot and cold. Lonie see above.

Robbo, Langlands, Austin, Clav, Joyce, Abbott and DMac haven't been sighted this year.

Dunstan and Webster hopefully get back this year (maybe Hanners)

Who'd you like to see and why?

Could we try Abbott and Ryder and have Marshall forward the whole game? Possibly too tall and Battle would have to make way or play him instead of JC.
Langlands is a big body and thought he looked ok. Questions on his disposal.
Could Robbo or Sav come in and Clark go forward?
Think we need to change some things up as mix just isnt right.
Interesting to see selections next week.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Team balance and who'd you like to see this year?

I would like to see Haneberry earn his money by getting back & play a role that gets us a finals berth

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Well I have said I would like to see Parker given a few games to recapture the promise of last season (but with a better tank)

If that doesn't work,

I'd prefer to put Sinclair back in that pocket and include Bytel and Byrnes as bench rotations.

Nee!
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

fugazi wrote: Mon 31 Aug 2020 11:22pm Well I have said I would like to see Parker given a few games to recapture the promise of last season (but with a better tank)

If that doesn't work,

I'd prefer to put Sinclair back in that pocket and include Bytel and Byrnes as bench rotations.
Good post. Sincs made his name as an effective small forward and can rotate into the middle. Would then allow us to play Bytel as a proper mid. On that basis Kent can have a spell.

Go you red, black & white warriors
SunnyErnest
Club Player

Hind, Kent and Geary out for Carlisle, Parker and Bytel.

Who is StoneCold??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
spert
Saintsational Legend

King in his current form is actually unbalancing the forward line and although he will improve with age, he needs to be dropped. Use Battle And Membrey as the forward KPPs. I would persist with Phillips and maybe bring Parker in for HInd- just need more physical presence in the forward half. Billings is playing soft at the moment, and doesn't look interested. Kent is not doing enough, and Lonie will try hard but he is a bit slow as a crumber and is not strong enough against good strong backs, so maybe bring DMAc in and see how he goes for a couple of games.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I'd like to see Roughy take his spot on the bench and Ratts taks his spot up in the box

Can't wait for the Roughster to rejoin the group :)

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Forget Bytel, Byrnes, Parker and Abbot as options for 2020. Doubtful they will get a game. Not having a second tier comp has made it hard to make changes and the longer the season has dragged on the less match condition fringe players will become. A massive dilemma. When the Dees made 6 changes I thought we would win big, time will tell if we should of and further highlight how quickly we are dropping off the perch. Our players are stuffed.

So who is available that is or was AFL standard that can add some energy, Lonie? I think that is it.

King needs dropping urgently but see said dilema above, so if he was to be dropped and we were looking to maintain balance/structure you'd have to go Marsh but he could blow up in the first 15 minutes.

Out: King Hind
In: Marsh Lonie.

The quality of footy is going to get real ugly, or should I say uglier from here on in, and the massive daylight gap between hardened mature aged bodied warriors like the Tiges, Cats and Eagles will grow much bigger between now and Sunny October in Queensland.

older saint
SS Life Member

spert wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 7:07am King in his current form is actually unbalancing the forward line and although he will improve with age, he needs to be dropped. Use Battle And Membrey as the forward KPPs. I would persist with Phillips and maybe bring Parker in for HInd- just need more physical presence in the forward half. Billings is playing soft at the moment, and doesn't look interested. Kent is not doing enough, and Lonie will try hard but he is a bit slow as a crumber and is not strong enough against good strong backs, so maybe bring DMAc in and see how he goes for a couple of games.

Have to disagree, King although dropping marks at least brings the ball to ground, also has presented further up the ground at times, which also looks good. If sore then rest absolutely but forwards are victims or beneficiaries of what happens in front of them .

I would rather see Bynres, Bytel and Langlands given chances than McKenzie ( who i think would be gone if not for Richo resigning him), Marsh, Joyce and others likely not to be there next year.

JMO

nobhead
Club Player

stkfc1 wrote: Mon 31 Aug 2020 10:41pm Think we're carrying one too many small forward types with Kent, Hind and Butler as they can't rotate through the middle.

Butler is a lock. One of the others has to go.

Quite a few players yet to get a guernsey this year and we need a point of difference.

Savage ok in his one game this year.

Parker and Marsh hot and cold. Lonie see above.

Robbo, Langlands, Austin, Clav, Joyce, Abbott and DMac haven't been sighted this year.

Dunstan and Webster hopefully get back this year (maybe Hanners)

Who'd you like to see and why?

Could we try Abbott and Ryder and have Marshall forward the whole game? Possibly too tall and Battle would have to make way or play him instead of JC.
Langlands is a big body and thought he looked ok. Questions on his disposal.
Could Robbo or Sav come in and Clark go forward?
Think we need to change some things up as mix just isnt right.
Interesting to see selections next week.
If one of either savage or robbo comes in you could play clark on a wing which would allow billings to play half forward .also play king at chf that way he can lead up the ground and play marshall out of the square alternating with paddy.
Then there would be no need to play 3 small forwards who can't play anywhere else on the ground.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sinclair added a bit of pace to the midfield when he went in there on Saturday. His bullet like kick into the forward pack for a goal to Marshall was a joy to behold. Give him more time in the centre.

portosaint
Club Player

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 8:08am Forget Bytel, Byrnes, Parker and Abbot as options for 2020. Doubtful they will get a game. Not having a second tier comp has made it hard to make changes and the longer the season has dragged on the less match condition fringe players will become. A massive dilemma. When the Dees made 6 changes I thought we would win big, time will tell if we should of and further highlight how quickly we are dropping off the perch. Our players are stuffed.

So who is available that is or was AFL standard that can add some energy, Lonie? I think that is it.

King needs dropping urgently but see said dilema above, so if he was to be dropped and we were looking to maintain balance/structure you'd have to go Marsh but he could blow up in the first 15 minutes.

The quality of footy is going to get real ugly, or should I say uglier from here on in, and the massive daylight gap between hardened mature aged bodied warriors like the Tiges, Cats and Eagles will grow much bigger between now and Sunny October in Queensland.
Am I missing something??

Are we the only team with players not playing in a second tier comp this year??

Yes... The players are stuffed. But other teams seem to be resting and rotating without a feeder comp. You are flat out contradicting yourself. Especially while we watch the Saints lose to a rubbish Melbourne side, who made 6 changes, in the asterisk cup, with no feeder comp.

Go figure

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I would like to see changa given a go.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 11:34am I would like to see changa given a go.
Excuse my ignorance but who's changa ?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 11:38am
Langlands.

Thought everyone had heard of "changa".

From wikipedia

"Graeme Frank Langlands, MBE, (2 September 1941 – 20 January 2018),[3] also known by the nickname of "Changa",[4] was an Australian professional rugby league footballer who played in the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s.[5] and coached in the 1970s.

He retired as the most-capped player for the Australian national team with 45 international appearances from 1963 to 1975, and captained his country in 15 Test matches and World Cup games. Langlands was the fullback and goal-kicker for the St. George Dragons in the latter half of their 11-year consecutive premiership-winning run from 1956 to 1966. "

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 11:39am
Langlands.

From wikipedia

"Graeme Frank Langlands, MBE, (2 September 1941 – 20 January 2018),[3] also known by the nickname of "Changa",[4] was an Australian professional rugby league footballer who played in the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s.[5] and coached in the 1970s.

He retired as the most-capped player for the Australian national team with 45 international appearances from 1963 to 1975, and captained his country in 15 Test matches and World Cup games. Langlands was the fullback and goal-kicker for the St. George Dragons in the latter half of their 11-year consecutive premiership-winning run from 1956 to 1966. "
Nah never heard of him but obviously a Rugby legend .I'm not really into rugby hence by ignorance about the name but thanks for the heads up :wink:

Secret Kiel
Club Player

portosaint wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 11:24am
Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 8:08am Forget Bytel, Byrnes, Parker and Abbot as options for 2020. Doubtful they will get a game. Not having a second tier comp has made it hard to make changes and the longer the season has dragged on the less match condition fringe players will become. A massive dilemma. When the Dees made 6 changes I thought we would win big, time will tell if we should of and further highlight how quickly we are dropping off the perch. Our players are stuffed.

Am I missing something??

Are we the only team with players not playing in a second tier comp this year??

Yes... The players are stuffed. But other teams seem to be resting and rotating without a feeder comp. You are flat out contradicting yourself. Especially while we watch the Saints lose to a rubbish Melbourne side, who made 6 changes, in the asterisk cup, with no feeder comp.

Go figure
Couldnt agree more Melbourne are rubbish and we couldn't beat them. Maybe the boys are having too much fun in the sun at Noosa. Who knows.

Are you suggesting we make 6 changes?

portosaint
Club Player

Nope. I'm suggesting that your inclination that basically no one is available because we have no feeder comp, so they can't possibly be up to standard, isn't holding sway.

It seems other clubs have rotated/managed players much better than we have. Including playing guys who may not have played if circumstances were different. It has stood out like dogs balls since the Geelong game. The season is what it is, we need to adapt and adjust. We simply haven't done it well.

I agree with you... Our players are gassed. How gassed do you think they'll be in another 3 weeks? Considering, compared to other clubs, our fitness staff must be doing such an awful job that we can't possibly toy with the idea of fresh minds and legs

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

agreed. our rotation policy (if we have one) is crap. should've have been rotating all year, but especially so after the move north, and why not ramped up after the suns game revealed how tired our main group were still eludes me.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Langlands, Austin, Abbott with a touch more of Byrnes and Bytel. Not sure about balance but would add interest into what's left of the season. As you can tell my balance is shot.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 12:05pm
saynta wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 11:39am
Langlands.

From wikipedia

Nah never heard of him but obviously a Rugby legend .I'm not really into rugby hence by ignorance about the name but thanks for the heads up :wink:
Rugby League legend , not a bum sniffing rugby union player.Entirely different game. :wink:

stkfc1
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 11:16am Sinclair added a bit of pace to the midfield when he went in there on Saturday. His bullet like kick into the forward pack for a goal to Marshall was a joy to behold. Give him more time in the centre.
Sincs has been really good last few games. His set up kicks into F50 was our best attempts all night against the Dees. Getting some of his 2018 form again. He actually looked a little like our old 35 at times. Good to see.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

stkfc1 wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 6:44pm
saynta wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 11:16am Sinclair added a bit of pace to the midfield when he went in there on Saturday. His bullet like kick into the forward pack for a goal to Marshall was a joy to behold. Give him more time in the centre.
Sincs has been really good last few games. His set up kicks into F50 was our best attempts all night against the Dees. Getting some of his 2018 form again. He actually looked a little like our old 35 at times. Good to see.
He's been very serviceable and playing his role. He had the most i50s against the dees and 3rd most metres gained.