Billings frustrating

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saint_Singapore
Club Player

Billings frustrating

Shows glipses of stardum but most of the time looks lazy soft and clumsy.. just dint get this guy

Is he unfit or does he use energy we don't see and exhaust himself?

portosaint
Club Player

Re: Billings frustrating

Let's be honest, a few players aside, the whole team has looked like this for 5 or 6 weeks.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

There are a lot bigger problems than Billings

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Best ball user in the side gets a tag most games.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
spert
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Ratts needs to move him around the ground a bit more- but I would like Billings just to go a bit harder at the contest. We saw how Kent went in hard when the ball was in question and forced the ball out, and Billings needs a bit more of that.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Saint_Singapore wrote: Sun 06 Sep 2020 3:37pm Shows glipses of stardum but most of the time looks lazy soft and clumsy.. just dint get this guy

Classic ‘heard footsteps’ / avoid a contest / bruise free style of player at times

He doesn’t have a single focus on the ball. That’s why he fumbles.

What’s the solution? Get back into some sparring with Sam Soliman

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Good crunch goal though when it counted.

He's getting good at those.

Class player.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 06 Sep 2020 5:26pm Good crunch goal though when it counted.

He's getting good at those.

Class player.
His set shots have improved immensely. When he has time and space, either with a set shot for goal or passing to his team mates he is elite. That’s why he was ranked as a top 5 pick in his draft year. That’s why opposition teams put so much time into him. He just needs to be cleaner with loose ground balls.

We get frustrated watching him fumble and then run around trying to frantically tackle or put pressure on to cause a turnover. Just win the footy in the first place Jack and be prepared for the bruises. You get paid to cop bruises.

It’s up to him if he wants to set himself a challenge and aim high. He is paid top dollar so please understand the club has high expectations. The reward is that he might earn himself a Trevor Barker medal or an All Australian nomination.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Sun 06 Sep 2020 4:52pm I reckon Ratts needs to move him around the ground a bit more- but I would like Billings just to go a bit harder at the contest. We saw how Kent went in hard when the ball was in question and forced the ball out, and Billings needs a bit more of that.
Was seen deep in the forwardline quite a bit today

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Thought Billings was fine today, particularly when it was up for grabs.

I’m more worried about Clark, who I consider a big talent. He looked slow, uncertain and unhappy today. Hopefully he just had a bad one.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Sun 06 Sep 2020 6:08pm Thought Billings was fine today, particularly when it was up for grabs.

I’m more worried about Clark, who I consider a big talent. He looked slow, uncertain and unhappy today. Hopefully he just had a bad one.
It’s pretty difficult for these young blokes. Must be getting unhappy and frustrated that the Richmond boys got caught at Showgirls. The cops and the public and AFL club officials will be on the lookout. Now no one is safe going there

saynta
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Sun 06 Sep 2020 6:08pm Thought Billings was fine today, particularly when it was up for grabs.

Kicked the goal of the match. :wink: He was fine AFAIC

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 06 Sep 2020 5:22pm
Saint_Singapore wrote: Sun 06 Sep 2020 3:37pm Shows glipses of stardum but most of the time looks lazy soft and clumsy.. just dint get this guy

Classic ‘heard footsteps’ / avoid a contest / bruise free style of player at times

He doesn’t have a single focus on the ball. That’s why he fumbles.

What’s the solution? Get back into some sparring with Sam Soliman

Maybe spar with Hill for a confidence booster!

Milne
Club Player

Wish he could have taken those 3-4 marks inside 50 where he had a big go at it.

Just lacking a bit of confidence atm.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Milne wrote: Sun 06 Sep 2020 7:43pm Wish he could have taken those 3-4 marks inside 50 where he had a big go at it.

Just lacking a bit of confidence atm.
Bing!
Plus one!!

That’s it. Mark those and he would have had a Milnesque Match.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

The_Dud wrote: Sun 06 Sep 2020 4:29pm There are a lot bigger problems than Billings
Yeah I agree way bigger issues than Jack ATM

Saint_Singapore
Club Player

I know theres bigger issues and hes a good player.

Just feel like he has alot more to give and we arent seeing that. Other out there are already playing to their ability.. Billings isnt.

I call him out for a big next game please!

spiral3
Club Player

a bit sick of people calling Billings soft, he's not a naturally physical player like Jones or Steele but his contest work has improved significantly in the last couple of years. He won't ever be as good as others but he is not soft. Takes his turn and does lay some decent tackles now. I used to watch him live at Marvel and as soon as he hit a contest he would instinctively lose his feet and try to shovel the ball out. He's cut that out of his game largely, a big improvement.
His finishing has improved but I'm frustrated by some of his field kicking, wastes it at times when he has time and space. Like to see some improvement in his marking, he was considered a good mark for his size when recruited but, like King, rarely hangs on to them when he has hands on the ball. King will resolve this, not sure if Billings can but I hope he does.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

I think it's a case of lowering expectations. He's best 22, he's just not going to be in the conversation when discussing other pick 3s and will settle in quality somewhere between an A and B grader. But that's ok, you need a few of those types in your team.

The frustrating part is he's not going to be one of those home grown players we desperately need to step up to consistent A grade and thus reduce our reliance on having to go to market at this years trade period to bring in said A grader which is going to be near impossible in the COVID economy.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 07 Sep 2020 10:55am I think it's a case of lowering expectations. He's best 22, he's just not going to be in the conversation when discussing other pick 3s and will settle in quality somewhere between an A and B grader. But that's ok, you need a few of those types in your team.

The frustrating part is he's not going to be one of those home grown players we desperately need to step up to consistent A grade and thus reduce our reliance on having to go to market at this years trade period to bring in said A grader which is going to be near impossible in the COVID economy.
Yep - a fair bit of that I think. I often wonder what ppl would think of Jack if he hadn't have been taken before Bont. I mean - that 2013 draft was horrible. Top 10 is a bust except for Kelly, Billings and Bont - most of the good players came after Cripps at 13 and even then - there's not a lot of super high-end quality.

I think Jack is one of those players who gets better with better players around him. I think the addition of Hill and Jones this year has already made Jack a better, more effective version of himself that the 2019 version.

My main desire for wanting to make finals is that it franks our level of improvement and strengthens our chances of proving us to be a destination club and hence, attracting a RFA/FA

Go you red, black & white warriors
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Mon 07 Sep 2020 11:10am

I think Jack is one of those players who gets better with better players around him.
100% agree, however it is why this season has seen Jack attract the down hill skier tag when those other quality players aren't in the side. It also highlights his inability to be the onfield leader type we've been short of since first publicly acknowledged by Lethers back in 2018. And that's ok, the team is filling and hopefully continues to fill with quality AROUND him so he has a place in the side.

I'm relaxed on it though becuse I think we'll get a better measure at why Jack has frustrated this season when full strength comp returns and our midfield has a full compliment of said quality players.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Kicked a miraculous goal.

ace
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 06 Sep 2020 4:29pm There are a lot bigger problems than Billings
But you keep defending that bigger problem.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Billings has covered huge ground this year and has been playing fatigued, hence Ratts playing him forward. He will bounce back and hopefully this week. I just wish he would try and take his over head marks in his hands than attempt to chest mark every attempt.

johnearljames
Club Player

Still in best 5 players. First picked on wing alongside Hill every week. B+ grade player. A grade when playing well.

The kid is tired. Give him a break.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.