Clarkson presser

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Clarkson presser

The Fireman wrote: Sun 06 Sep 2020 7:09pm We fell over the line against a depleted bottom side , hard to deflect any criticism. We are a disappointment atm
we were a teeny bit depleted ourselves.

No Gresh, Dunstan, Hanners, Carlisle, King and Members.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

nostalgicsaint wrote: Sun 06 Sep 2020 7:00pm
SaintDippa wrote: Sun 06 Sep 2020 6:55pm Clarko 100% spot on. Although probably should have called Ratts tonight telling him that crap style won't win a final. Surprising every passage that resulted to a hit up on a F50 lead was the result of quick ball movement. Chip stop go back against the top 6 is pointless. Still.... Think we'll beat the eagles.

Plenty of the best sides do exactly that when they need to regain control.

Geelong did it against us early.
Brisbane did it against the pies
West Coast did it against essendon
Agree.
Cats took over 40 marks in their back half against us in the 1st half, from memory. They just chipped it across the ground for ages.
Kept control.

Clarko said it was good coaching to change 'midstream' so although he was deflecting, Ratts conceded that we overdid it!
If a team can adapt to conditions and opponent, then that's damn good!
Of course it won't work against a top side, but they'll adapt again!
Last edited by WellardSaint on Mon 07 Sep 2020 12:58am, edited 1 time in total.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

It's unusual for losing coaches to comment on winning teams. I also don't think the criticism was accurate. Possession footy is exactly what top teams do. It is only successful if the team is sufficiently skilled to do it without a miss-kick. It's always a lot better to have possession. Allan Jeans used to say they are three phases of footy - we've got it, they've got it, the ball's in dispute.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

So, here's the transcript. Honestly, it's not even half as bad as people think, and for what it's worth, I completely agree with Clarkson.

(He's describing exactly what we did. And I do think it would be harder to execute that against better teams).

And I think Ratten answered in a totally fine manner back. What's the big deal?

---------------------

"At quarter-time, St Kilda said, 'we need to control the ball more' … so they would've been concerned at quarter-time that it was five goals to four and the game was being played in a ping-pong sort of fashion," Clarkson said.

"They slowed it down. From their coaching box and the way they strategized from that point of view, they'd say that was a success because they arrested the momentum of the game a little bit and got themselves back into the contest. From that point on, they were never headed."

"From that point of view, they win a game of footy. In terms of trying to win big games and score heavily, it'll be interesting to see whether that works for them in the long run. But it worked for them today because they slowed down our momentum a little bit in the second quarter."

"While they didn't score a lot, we didn't score either. That's good coaching and good play by them to change mid-stream."

"They were playing an interesting game, where it's a game of keepings-off."

"Especially in the second quarter, I think they took 42 marks and kicked one goal. They might be able to get away with that against us, but I don't think the method itself is going to lend itself to kicking a lot of goals."

--------

When asked about Clarkson's critiques afterwards, Ratten was blunt in his response.

"That's his comment," he said.

"We'll focus on what we can do and maybe they could too."

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Look he’s done us a favour
Call it out we played and are playing shyte footy
Yes we win but if we are fair dinkum about being a top side we have to better than that
He admitted it worked and Ratten instituted that “control game” mid season in a lockdown year it’s good coaching - it means he’s trying to make sure we are not 1 style wonders
We must urgently fix up forward entries - Kent some other players lowered eyes in the last and we got scoring shots 30-50 out that was something
Have to improve but it just May Fire us up for Eagles

“Yeah….nah””
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I don't mind Clarko's comments.

First
Confirms to me we have a 'B' plan which we successfully executed. Other clubs will take note....we are not one-dimensional, as Calrko said so.

Second
Gives our players a good reason to impress Calrko in subsequent games. Calrko is held in such high esteem by the footy fraternity, I bet all players wanna hit him for six so to speak.

Third
Gives fair warning to our match planners to stay on their toes

In general, he is adding the octane to the petrol.

Just imagine if we get back a few players and then finally re-ignite and win a few more games!!

PS.
BTW...why wouldn't it work against other teams? Geelong does it all the time.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

This year is about scraping into the 8.

That’s our goal.

We aren’t likely to win an elimination final, but just making it there is our main goal

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

He might be a dick, but he’s right.

That was a terrible performance against an even worse opposition.

I suggest Ratt’s watches a bit of tape of us from earlier in the season to remind himself what got us into this position in the 8 👍

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

clarko.....good coach.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

I just watched the replay and I think his comments are fair. On the plus side, earlier in the year Ratts was bemoaning our lack of being able to slow the tempo and control the ball when the game was running against us, so on that score we’ve improved.
Plus, after the Hawks jumped us with three goals, we out scored them by more than goals for the rest of the game.

On the down side, so much farkin sideways backwards sideways backwards. Can’t see us troubling the genuine contenders,

Players : Lonie - enough already. Kent - ditto.
Hill was good. Best game for us I reckon.