in defence of rats and our players

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

in defence of rats and our players

Thought that was a mature performance.

They had their extra behind the ball, early on we bombed away but with no king and membery there it didn't work so we adjusted.

What Clarkson whining is effectively saying is he was outcoached or his side isn't good enough. Either way better off saying nothing.

I laugh at comments from people on this forum who are scathing on our developing side and Rats. They complain we don't have a plan b and just bomb the ball, then we show a different style which gets it done and they still complain.

We're not a premiership contender yet.

Most had us pegged as a side between sixth and twelfth at the start of the year with serious concerns around how our club would gel given significant coaching and player changes.

We're at the top end of that range at the moment which is a great result. Enjoy the journey rather than getting frustrated we are not already in contention, it's a much more enjoyable way to support the team.

Positives today.

Marshall showed how dangerous he can be forward
Seb ross back in some better form
Showed signs of being able to adjust on the run
Steele is elite
Serious players in carlisle, skunk, King and maybe even hammers to come back in

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: in defence of rats and our players

AFL site had Seb as our best player

23 disposals..the most for the saints.

BEST
St Kilda: Ross, Hill, Marshall, Jones, Coffield, Long

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Was so disappointed

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Easily our worst win of the year.

Was a Richo type performance.

Lucky we had Hill running like Forrest

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: ↑Sun 06 Sep 2020 6:58pm AFL site had Seb as our best player

BEST
He was ok stats can be flattering sometimes . I didn't give him a vote but he was far from our worst

saynta
Saintsational Legend

A win is a win is a f****** win ffs πŸ€ͺπŸ€ͺπŸ€ͺπŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ™„πŸ€­πŸ€­πŸ€«πŸ€”

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I was so disappointed in the performance but if we started better and controlled the game for a 14 point win it may of felt a bit better

saynta
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: ↑Sun 06 Sep 2020 7:33pm

BEST
He was ok stats can be flattering sometimes . I didn't give him a vote but he was far from our worst
Thats very f****** big of you to concede he was far from our worst. :roll: :roll: :roll:

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: ↑Sun 06 Sep 2020 7:34pm A win is a win is a f****** win ffs πŸ€ͺπŸ€ͺπŸ€ͺπŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ™„πŸ€­πŸ€­πŸ€«πŸ€”
F---ing oath it is & ffs I'm not bagging him I just did't think he was anything special today & as I said he was far from our worst but that's IMO

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Well you are entitled to your opinion even if it is completely uninformed.😁😁😁😁🀭🀭🀭

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: ↑Sun 06 Sep 2020 7:40pm

BEST
Thats very f****** big of you to concede he was far from our worst. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Saynta you can have your opinion mate I don't care that you don't agree with me or anyone else on the forum . I'm not posting to be a every ones favourite I post what I think same as you :roll:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: ↑Sun 06 Sep 2020 7:48pm

BEST
Saynta you can have your opinion mate I don't care that you don't agree with me or anyone else on the forum . I'm not posting to be a every ones favourite I post what I think same as you :roll:
Yep. Just I think this week people's votes are based on prejudices rather than footy knowledge. Clear to me.

Just my opinion.πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: ↑Sun 06 Sep 2020 7:56pm

BEST
Yep. Just I think this week people's votes are based on prejudices rather than footy knowledge. Clear to me.

Yep just your opinion :shock:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: ↑Sun 06 Sep 2020 8:01pm

BEST

Yeah, but I'm f****** right this time🀭🀭🀭

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Agree with nostalgicsaint, but I think supporters would just like to see some of the dare and spark we showed earlier in the year leading into the finals. ATM we have a lot of important players not playing the best footy?
Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Mon 07 Sep 2020 10:57am, edited 1 time in total.

suss
Club Player

nostalgicsaint wrote: ↑Sun 06 Sep 2020 6:56pm Thought that was a mature performance.

They had their extra behind the ball, early on we bombed away but with no king and membery there it didn't work so we adjusted.

What Clarkson whining is effectively saying is he was outcoached or his side isn't good enough. Either way better off saying nothing.

I laugh at comments from people on this forum who are scathing on our developing side and Rats. They complain we don't have a plan b and just bomb the ball, then we show a different style which gets it done and they still complain.

Most had us pegged as a side between sixth and twelfth at the start of the year with serious concerns around how our club would gel given significant coaching and player changes.

We're at the top end of that range at the moment which is a great result. Enjoy the journey rather than getting frustrated we are not already in contention, it's a much more enjoyable way to support the team.

Positives today.

Steele is elite
Very happy to get the win and agree with those positives, particularly Rowan Marshall - how good. Reminds me a bit of plugger leading out of the forward line.

A few more:

I thought I saw Ben Long’s best game today - some more maturity in his game.

Kent cops a bit on here but was excellent up forward.

I thought Patton did some nice things - keeps getting better.

Finally, Butler and Hill. Both great today. I knew Hill would be good but wow, Butler, steal of the trade period.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote: ↑Mon 07 Sep 2020 12:08am
nostalgicsaint wrote: ↑Sun 06 Sep 2020 6:56pm Thought that was a mature performance.

Positives today.

Steele is elite
Very happy to get the win and agree with those positives, particularly Rowan Marshall - how good. Reminds me a bit of plugger leading out of the forward line.

A few more:

I thought I saw Ben Long’s best game today - some more maturity in his game.

Kent cops a bit on here but was excellent up forward.

I thought Patton did some nice things - keeps getting better.

Finally, Butler and Hill. Both great today. I knew Hill would be good but wow, Butler, steal of the trade period.
Just watching first half again
Ben Long easily set us up for 2-3 goals from his attack on the ball in defence
Top game today played superb

β€œYeah….nah””
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Was it me or did we try and transition through the middle of the ground more today?

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

BEST

Sebby had some possessions that didn't assist his team and the ball got stuck in congestion or he gets caught and his kick trickles off the end of his toes for about 3 metres. I wouldn't say that someone that gets the most possessions 'has to be' in the votes.

When a player does a dinky handball of half a metre to someone under heat and that player is forced to handball back and then Ross gets caught or has to rush a kick or a handball, then that is 2 possessions that are worthless (and it happened a couple of times during the match). Overall Seb was a good contributor but you have to reward players who impact. Players who set up several chains or players that win contested footy like Marshall deserve to be voted best on ground

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Funny, in the game we lost against Geelong... They kinda played very similar to what we did today.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: ↑Sun 06 Sep 2020 11:23pm
bangaulegend wrote: ↑Sun 06 Sep 2020 8:01pm

BEST

Yeah, but I'm f****** right this time🀭🀭🀭
Yep you always are :roll: IYO

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote: ↑Mon 07 Sep 2020 1:00am Funny, in the game we lost against Geelong... They kinda played very similar to what we did today.
True. But that style of game - chipping it around, moving forward up the flanks and wings for a wide F50 entry or trying to centre it into F50 from between wind and HF - that style of game is dependent on quality ball use and pinpoint passes because the traffic is heavy, so it’s more susceptible to turnovers. And the quality teams hurt you on the turnovers way more than Hawthorn did.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

This team won't go very far in the future if they accept/praise that kind of performance.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

1pm timeslots are the graveyard shift. The "normal" match vibe isn't there, and wind seemed difficult. Hawthorn have a top coach and I understand about 6 or 7 premiership players were out there for them - including a Brownlow winner in the middle. They have pushed sides recently only to go down late so form is not so hopeless.Hawks certainly came to play and blitzed us early - Saints regrouped, reeled them in and won. A number of Hawks goals came from desperation kicks that just floated over a defender who was in the best space. A few brilliant efforts picked us up showing under pinning class. Cliche: you can only beat what is in front of you. 1 pm start must mean something like an 8am departure from Noosa - just an unfamiliar prep. How's that for a defence argument M'lud, if indeed any wrongdoing, aesthetics - wise occurred.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Yeah true, but why do we have to justify it?

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....