Changes for the Second Semi Final against Richmond Tigers

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Re: Changes for the Second Semi Final against Richmond Tigers

We've just about handed it to the tigers ....

SuperDuper
Club Player

For the forced changes:

Webster for Long... would not lose anything there at all if Webster were at his best but it has been some time
Battle for Ryder... Marshall to ruck... sweating on Battles fitness
Roberton or Austin for Carlisle--- I really have no idea which one.

Gershwin
Club Player

Kilda wrote: Sun 04 Oct 2020 9:44pm Battle would have to be doubtful for Friday's match... unless he's treated with analgesics and then risks further structural damage down the track.

Obviously the loss of Ryder, Long and (possibly) Carlisle is far from ideal but I guess the only way to look at it is that from crisis comes opportunity. Can we draw upon our depth to cover these players? Of the three potential outs, Ryder is the biggest blow as there's no ruckmen on our list of his quality (Marshall excluded). It's like bringing in Brett Cook for Peter Everitt.

It would seem Abbott and Marsh would vie for this possie. Marsh is not a bad option as he's more agile than Abbott and can take a strong grab up forward. Whether either can be potent weapons in terms of rucking ability and coverage of the ground is unknown.
Any selection has risk involved and I would prioritise maintaining the current structure by replacing Carlisle with a tall defender (Logan Austin) and Ryder with a 2nd ruckman (Abbott). They will be familiar with the game plan and with a bit of luck will play their parts. It allows Wilkie and Coffield to play the roles they are best at and same with King and Membrey etc. I have a feeling Battle won’t come up. Savage for Long if he misses.

summertime and the living is easy ........
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 10:17am
Kilda wrote: Sun 04 Oct 2020 9:44pm Battle would have to be doubtful for Friday's match... unless he's treated with analgesics and then risks further structural damage down the track.

Obviously the loss of Ryder, Long and (possibly) Carlisle is far from ideal but I guess the only way to look at it is that from crisis comes opportunity. Can we draw upon our depth to cover these players? Of the three potential outs, Ryder is the biggest blow as there's no ruckmen on our list of his quality (Marshall excluded). It's like bringing in Brett Cook for Peter Everitt.

It would seem Abbott and Marsh would vie for this possie. Marsh is not a bad option as he's more agile than Abbott and can take a strong grab up forward. Whether either can be potent weapons in terms of rucking ability and coverage of the ground is unknown.
Any selection has risk involved and I would prioritise maintaining the current structure by replacing Carlisle with a tall defender (Logan Austin) and Ryder with a 2nd ruckman (Abbott). They will be familiar with the game plan and with a bit of luck will play their parts. It allows Wilkie and Coffield to play the roles they are best at and same with King and Membrey etc. I have a feeling Battle won’t come up. Savage for Long if he misses.
Abbott would be a disaster IMO after seeing his only other performance this year, does not look up to it.

Marshall has been sole ruck many times before and performed very well, I'd back him to do it again than waste a spit on Abbott.

Battle was excellent last year in defence, hopefully he can get up for this game.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
freely
SS Hall of Fame

If Battle comes up and Long gets off.
Out: Paddy, Carlisle
In: Battle, Dunstan

We can't replace Paddy so we need a player to help win clearances without him. And we need someone who can take marks around the ground. That's two players replacing one and reorganise the backline.

If Long is out, bring in Savage or Roberton (question mark over Roberton cos I seem to remember he wasn't that s*** hot in the first round and might be a worry bringing him straight into a final with everything he's been through).

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I don't mind the idea of playing Marsh as second ruck, and just get him to go like a bull-at-a-gate and get physical with the Tigers midfield?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 10:17am

SEIZE THE DAY SAINTS

Our only chance with the Tigers is to play to our strengths. Abobott would be a weakness.

Abbott showed he is simply not good enough at AFL level. Do not select.

Tigers are most likely going to play only one ruck anyway.

Tigers will probably be happy to play an attacking shootout. This suits us well and gives us a chance. Abbott would only slow us down.

Ruck with Marshall who will need to take most of the centre bounces.......who can then also rotate with Battle at CHF. Battle to play as follower and exploit Nankervis. Battle can easily out run him, as can Marshall.

Long. Webster or Savage to fill his spot if the appeal is unsuccessful. Webster has extra hardness and is better defensively, but has not played all season. Whereas Savage has played more recently, plus has played finals including a GF at the Hawks.

Carlisle is the tricky one. However at least Riewoldt is not a giant at 193c, While Wilkie can possibly take him, I think Wilkie may be better used on Dusty when he plays forward. Ross to go to Dusty when he plays midfield.

So for Carlilse the options are Marsh, Robbo and Austin. Robbo is the best intercepting mark and is the most skilled, classy, talented and experienced, but has only played 5 games in 3 seasons. Austin has not played since 2018. Marsh has played 5 games this year and to me would be safer bet than Austin. Marsh can also play up forward and give Marshall a chop out in the ruck (not well though). Marsh is very quick though.

Kent: Form has been down, but I doubt Ratts will want to make too many extra changes. Role has been more running midfield link than small forward of late. Kent is quick though. Hinds recent record is no better . So that would leave Phillips or Bytel as possible changes.

Geary: I assume he will play as a defensive forward where he has done well this year except when he was played on the much taller Stewart. Houli would look to be a good match up. Asa defender I think the Tiger's smalls are too quick for him. So play him up forward.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

In battle, savage and hind
Out long carlisle ryder

If battle doesn't come up marsh comes in.

Phillips could be chosen ahead of Hind if they don't want too many small forwards with billings going forward for periods.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

savage for long seems a no brainer. was unlucky to be dropped after his decent performance earlier in the season.
battle for ryder again an easy selection.
if carlisle is also out we have an issue. but abbot aint an answer. could roll the dice on roberton. if battle doesn't get up as well ratts needs to accurately gauge which squad players are most likely to seize the day.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saintbob
SS Life Member

SuperDuper wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 10:12am For the forced changes:

Webster for Long... would not lose anything there at all if Webster were at his best but it has been some time
Battle for Ryder... Marshall to ruck... sweating on Battles fitness
Roberton or Austin for Carlisle--- I really have no idea which one.
Yep agree, I'd prefer Austinn for the extra height as he may have to be the back up ruckman as well

Roll the dice, we've got nothing to lose from here on in

Winmar7
Club Player

Ratts doesn't make sweeping changes to the team, so it'll be minimum.

Battle (if he's right) and Roberton to come in (more experienced and proven than other Austin/Claravino). If the Long suspension is upheld, which would be a disgrace, it'll be Philips or Hind for speed, Savage unlucky.

Marshall will be ok rucking alone, Abbott and Marsh are too big a risk for a semi-final.

"Nothing to lose???" - we have a semi-final to lose!

sks023
Club Player

Hoping Long gets the green light
Battle comes straight in
Savage will play his ass off if given the chance

Look out kids, they keep it all hid
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Battle (fingers crossed) for Ryder.
Roberton for Carlisle.
Webster/Savage for Long (if suspension stands).

Like-for-like (though there is no one quite like Paddy).

Toss up between Webster and Savage. Both are quick and thumping kicks. I’m leaning towards Webster.

shadrock
Club Player

There is literally 0% chance we bring in players like Webster/Roberton who havent played all year. ZERO.

Personally, id be accepting we cant "replace" Carlisle and Paddy with similar profiled players, and bring in Battle, Savage and Bytel. Then shuffle things around accordingly. Abbott/Robbo/Webster are not the answer, and would be losing decisions. Bytel looked silky when he was in the team, i dont really understand why we dropped him.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

shadrock wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 3:19pm There is literally 0% chance we bring in players like Webster/Roberton who havent played all year. ZERO.
We shall see.

silverhalo
Club Player

Hind must come in for Kent.....when we beat Richmond earlier this year, it was our pace that really troubled them. He is inconsistent at this early stage of his career but the boy can play - he played a blinder earlier in the year and strikes me as one that would love the big stage.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

3 forced outs and you want 4? I don't think so.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Do we actually know how Battle's foot is? Is he even a chance to come up? Last I heard he had not even had a run last week it was that bad.

So three outs:

Ryder.
Carlisle.
Long.

Three ins surely must be:
Battle.
Roberton.
Savage.

If Battle doesnt come up.... Then where do we go?
Marsh, Hind, Bytel, Dunstan, Phillips. I reckon thats the stretch.

Do we just go for the pace?
Last edited by bigred on Mon 05 Oct 2020 8:40pm, edited 2 times in total.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Please no Marsh, please no Philips

Kent should be made Captain (and coach) as he remains the rock of Gibraltar. His magnet has been welded to the board or stuck with superglue.

In
Battle, Hind, Robertson, Savage

I don’t know about Webster...maybe..?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Double

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Perhaps we could use this unfortunate situation to alter our game plan.

Against the Dogs we were too big and dominated the contested marks, without Paddy & Jake we're forced to change. Perhaps we could select a fierce tackling side with the inclusion of Dunstan and Parker. Or an even faster side with guys like Hind and Philips.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Watch the game from round five or whenever it was. We absolutely torched them.

Marsh played as a defensive forward.

Granted, Richmond were a different team, but they had no answer to the pace of our side.

The prospect can ruck all day. He's gonna love it.

We need our pressure to be absolutely tip top and limit our own turnovers.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Club Player

Marsh did great job on Vlaustin in round 5 so he will play.

Battle in if fit.

Savage probably gets other spot.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Geez we are up agianst it this week.

Would you bring in Robbo, played round 1 and hadn't played for 2 seasons before that, so 1 game in 3 season's. Just ask yourself, why would you bring him in for a final against a finals behemoth. Can we just stop wasting bandwidth by putting his name up.

We are desperate and the cupboard is extremely bare but Robbo is not playing again this year.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 8:17pm Watch the game from round five or whenever it was. We absolutely torched them.

Marsh played as a defensive forward.

Granted, Richmond were a different team, but they had no answer to the pace of our side.

The prospect can ruck all day. He's gonna love it.

We need our pressure to be absolutely tip top and limit our own turnovers.
And it won’t happen again.

Says me the expert.

Too many memories of this narrative. Kosi fills Rios boots one year. Next year, same situation, opposite result.

Look I don’t know, but Marsh really hasn’t done much. Doesn’t jump, pick up the ground ball, not touch...I don’t think.