Buckenara on saints list

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: Buckenara on saints list

Notice that Hannebury is rated C, as is Long. Sinclair is in the top tier with Hill and co.

I think Sincs is pretty good, but surprised about Hanner’s rating.

Marshall had an average patch of games there for a while. He seemed to get better towards the end, ironically as we as a team went from B grade in the C grade direction, although we finished well at the very end.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
SaintPelican66
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Wed 28 Oct 2020 2:27pm I'm no so fussed that he's not categorised any of our list as A graders. Steele is getting there but, one great season doesn't deserve that. In my mind - there's only about 8-10 players in the whole comp who are A-graders. I'm very happy that most of our list are categorised as B graders because you can't afford to carry too many - if any C graders. Ditto with our emerging A/B graders. But ... Gary's been on the glue if he thinks both Alabakis and Ryder are C graders. FFS - Alabakis has never played a single game.

And to top of the stupidity - he suggest Carlisle could be trade bait. How? He hasn't got a contract at present so, how could we trade him?

Fvcking pumpkin.
Erm...just because Carlisle is OOC does not mean we cannot trade him. You do not lose the right to trade players that are OOC. Just sayin... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Harves Man
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Wed 28 Oct 2020 2:27pm I'm no so fussed that he's not categorised any of our list as A graders. Steele is getting there but, one great season doesn't deserve that. In my mind - there's only about 8-10 players in the whole comp who are A-graders. I'm very happy that most of our list are categorised as B graders because you can't afford to carry too many - if any C graders. Ditto with our emerging A/B graders. But ... Gary's been on the glue if he thinks both Alabakis and Ryder are C graders. FFS - Alabakis has never played a single game.

And to top of the stupidity - he suggest Carlisle could be trade bait. How? He hasn't got a contract at present so, how could we trade him?

Fvcking pumpkin.
Agree, Saintmatt - to suggest that players such as Ryder, Long, Roberton and Hanneberry are C grade is ridiculous! You've got to wonder if he has ever seen them play, FFS!

Premium89
Club Player

Buckenara: “saints need another key defender!”
Also Buckenara: “Trade out Carlisle!”

Flawless logic.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Harves Man wrote: Thu 29 Oct 2020 2:29am

Fvcking pumpkin.
Agree, Saintmatt - to suggest that players such as Ryder, Long, Roberton and Hanneberry are C grade is ridiculous! You've got to wonder if he has ever seen them play, FFS!
It's all perspective and he does tend to mark low from what I have read on other reviews:
I think an AA has the right to be A-grade but take the point one great season does not define a career.

Fair call on Hannebery IMO given his output over last three seasons.
He was a full gun A grader in his prime.

A minus grade
Steele, Marshall

B grade
Billings, Butler, Gresham, Jones, Ryder, Howard, Hill, Wilkie (B-), Membrey (B-), Ross (B-)

C grade
Hannebery, Sinclair, Long (C+), Geary, Carslile, Lonie, Battle (C+),

D grade
Kent, Hind, Marsh,

Developing - could be A grade in time
Clark, Coffield, Paton, King

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

And today he had English as an A grader for the bulldogs. 😂😂 he obviously wanted to go with the narrative that we had no A graders so ignored Buttler, Steele, Marshall

spert
Saintsational Legend

My view of all this rating business, is how good players actually do at the business end of a season when crucial games and finals are in question. We dropped must-win games when a few of our better players didn't show up on the day. Although he had a strong season, it's fair enough to think of Steele as not elite, but definitely A-.. still has flaws, but may actually still have improvement in him IMO. Ratts was quick to say we need class in the midfield.
Billings should be B- or C+ after his late season and finals form- a big disappointment. We lacked consistency over the season from some players, and hopefully that will improve under Ratt's second year. I'm thinking that Paddy was our most important player this season in terms of leadership by example.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

spert wrote: Thu 29 Oct 2020 10:22am My view of all this rating business, is how good players actually do at the business end of a season when crucial games and finals are in question. We dropped must-win games when a few of our better players didn't show up on the day. Although he had a strong season, it's fair enough to think of Steele as not elite, but definitely A-.. still has flaws, but may actually still have improvement in him IMO. Ratts was quick to say we need class in the midfield.
Billings should be B- or C+ after his late season and finals form- a big disappointment. We lacked consistency over the season from some players, and hopefully that will improve under Ratt's second year. I'm thinking that Paddy was our most important player this season in terms of leadership by example.
On this basis - as per Goose (above) - English can't be an A grader as he had an good/average season ... was monstered by Grundy in R1 and then smashed again by Ryder and Marshall in R2 and then again in the Elimination Final. How could a solid A grader be beaten by B & C graders (twice) in Marshall and Ryder and still be classified as A grade?

Again ... Gary doesn't watch much more than Match of the Day and is on glue.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Saintmike65
Club Player

Not a bad summation really, agree we have a few holes to fill.
As much as I think Carlisle should be kept, I doubt he's the answer to negating the best power forwards in the game, so we need a key defender.
Obviously also need ruck back up, preferably someone that can also play forward, prefer someone like Ratagalia rather than a Daw or McKernan.
Crouch and Higgins will be good gets, like to see us get young Narkle, as he offers something a bit different.
I'd like to see Webster in the side, as he is tough & a good ball user (proviso is he gets his body right), with Clarke going more into the midfield.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Thu 29 Oct 2020 10:45am Not a bad summation really, agree we have a few holes to fill.
As much as I think Carlisle should be kept, I doubt he's the answer to negating the best power forwards in the game, so we need a key defender.
Obviously also need ruck back up, preferably someone that can also play forward, prefer someone like Ratagalia rather than a Daw or McKernan.
Crouch and Higgins will be good gets, like to see us get young Narkle, as he offers something a bit different.
I'd like to see Webster in the side, as he is tough & a good ball user (proviso is he gets his body right), with Clarke going more into the midfield.
Agree with you comments on both Webster and Narkle who is yet to be offered a contract for 2021.

PS No e in Clark.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Goose is king wrote: Thu 29 Oct 2020 10:00am And today he had English as an A grader for the bulldogs. 😂😂 he obviously wanted to go with the narrative that we had no A graders so ignored Buttler, Steele, Marshall
Well that B grader Ryder certainly seemed to rag doll and dominate that A grader English so completely that we can only conclude that no-one had told them their respective rankings.

Nee!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote: Thu 29 Oct 2020 1:59pm
Goose is king wrote: Thu 29 Oct 2020 10:00am And today he had English as an A grader for the bulldogs. 😂😂 he obviously wanted to go with the narrative that we had no A graders so ignored Buttler, Steele, Marshall
Well that B grader Ryder certainly seemed to rag doll and dominate that A grader English so completely that we can only conclude that no-one had told them their respective rankings.
He’s got Paddy as a C-grader

older saint
SS Life Member

And we see why he no longer works as a recruiter. No coach in the AFL would take English over Marshall. Look at first final Ryder and Marshall smashed him .

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

I will say this regarding Buckenara's article though - I would be really happy if we could land Tom McDonald for a later pick and a 'not huge' salary.

Melbourne have stuffed that bloke's career. He was a very good backman until, in 2018 Melbourne decided that he should play forward where he was excellent as the 2nd banana to Hogan. Melbourne got seduced by the 2nd banana form and desperate to offload Hogan due to his extra carricular activities - installed McDonald as a no 1 forward. He's not a no 1 forward and never will be.

If we were able to recruit him on the explicit understanding that he's a tall backman and nothing else - that would provide excellent cover to Howard .. and fill Carlisle's shoes if he leaves.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Thu 29 Oct 2020 5:47pm I will say this regarding Buckenara's article though - I would be really happy if we could land Tom McDonald for a later pick and a 'not huge' salary.

Melbourne have stuffed that bloke's career. He was a very good backman until, in 2018 Melbourne decided that he should play forward where he was excellent as the 2nd banana to Hogan. Melbourne got seduced by the 2nd banana form and desperate to offload Hogan due to his extra carricular activities - installed McDonald as a no 1 forward. He's not a no 1 forward and never will be.

If we were able to recruit him on the explicit understanding that he's a tall backman and nothing else - that would provide excellent cover to Howard .. and fill Carlisle's shoes if he leaves.
Herald Sun has McDonald bundled up with Preuss in a potential trade to GWS for a first round pick.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
johnearljames
Club Player

Lol

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.