Danny Frawley Centre at Moorabbin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Danny Frawley Centre at Moorabbin

"Danny Frawley’s legacy spurs $16m centre

Danny Frawley’s incredible legacy will live on, with a $16 million centre named in the St Kilda’s champion honour set to “make a difference” for those battling mental health issues."
------
"Mrs Frawley revealed plans for a new $16m Danny Centre for Health and Wellbeing at the Moorabbin headquarters of his beloved Saints.

“Danny just wanted to help people. He suffered so much, and for this centre to come through is just incredible,” Mrs Frawley said"

"The federal government will pour $8.5m into the Moorabbin project and the Andrews government $7.3m."
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victo ... a8c5a938cj

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Danny Frawley’s legacy spurs $16m centre

heraldsun.com.au/news/v...

Danny Frawley’s legacy spurs $16m centre

Danny Frawley’s widow, Anita, says one of the St Kilda champion’s greatest legacies will be to “make a difference” for those battling mental health issues.
Mrs Frawley revealed plans for a new $16m Danny Frawley Centre for Health and Wellbeing at the Moorabbin headquarters of his beloved Saints.

“Danny just wanted to help people. He suffered so much, and for this centre to come through is just incredible,” Mrs Frawley said, speaking publicly for the first time since his September 2019 death.

“Even though he’s not here, he will make a difference.”

Frawley was a fierce advocate for mental health awareness, talking openly about his own struggles in the hope of inspiring others to seek help.

The centre to be named in his honour, featuring classroom spaces, consultation suites and breakout areas in the Moorabbin grandstand and aquatic facility, will open to the local community in late 2021.

“This is just so powerful and we are so incredibly proud,” Mrs Frawley said, flanked by two of their three daughters, Chelsea and Danielle. Their third child, Keeley, is studying in the US.

“Moorabbin was his home, that’s what the girls and I always thought anyway, he spoke about it so proudly.

“His famous quote about ‘manning up’ is just so relevant and this centre will help bring it all to fruition.

“His footy achievements were incredible, but this, in time, will really stand as his legacy. Everyone knows how passionate he was about mental health.

“He wanted people who were suffering, men especially, to speak up and just talk about it and be listened to.”

Mrs Frawley said the 14 months since Frawley’s passing had been “incredibly hard” for the family.

“You wouldn’t wish it on anyone,” she said.

“It’s my passion and my daughters’ as well, to try and offer support to others, and this centre for anyone that has got a mental illness, it’s just exactly what we need.

“You take one step forward and two back. Most people who have been in the situation we have been in, that’s what they say — you sort of start to climb out, but grief is insurmountable.

“But the support we have been given has been amazing.”

The Herald Sun revealed in September Frawley was suffering Stage II CTE — a crippling neurological disorder linked to repeated head knocks — when his four-wheel drive struck a tree in Millbrook, near Ballan, on September 9 last year.

The federal government will pour $8.5m into the Moorabbin project and the Andrews government $7.3m.

Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said: “Spud Frawley was a legend of the game, respected as much for his achievements on the field, as for his wit, humour and good nature off the field.

“This facility will not only honour his memory, but be a lasting legacy, helping people of all ages, improve their physical and mental health.”

Sport Minister Martin Pakula said: “Danny Frawley was an inspirational Victorian on and off the field, and helped many people through his efforts to promote awareness of mental health issues.

“The establishment of this centre is a fitting acknowledgment of his work and his standing in the community – and will provide an enduring legacy.”

St Kilda chief executive Matt Finnis, who drove the concept, said “the key strengths of the Frawley Centre will be it’s integration of physical and mental health facilities and services but also the fact that community members will directly engage with experts in their field and programs which cater for at-risk groups and individuals.

“It’s not just about current and former players. It’s about their families and the broader community. I know Danny would be really proud of that.”
Frawley played 240 games for the Saints, 177 of them as captain, and was inducted into St Kilda’s Hall of Fame in 2007.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Re: Danny Frawley’s legacy spurs $16m centre

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

Fantastic work by all involved in getting this facility approved. I am very proud of the club.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Really quite interesting that this is being based at RSEA...

The Mental Health / Well-being hubs are kind of the developing hot trend with services at the moment.

The general idea is that the majority of non-acute services e.g. psychology, types of support groups, lived experience, housing etc are all located in the one spot per’se

Different to say how there will be an inpatient ward at the hospital, a community mental health service in a different part of the catchment, an outreach service based elsewhere and so on.

It’s not a part of the mental healthcare that I work in so I’m not overly across these hubs and their functionality but it’s a very big shift away from what is traditionally based at a place like RSEA and it kind of brings a bit of seriousness to the place now...
Like it’s not just football

Everything that goes on there is going to have to be supported and well maintained now

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Re: Danny Frawley Centre at Moorabbin

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

skeptic wrote: Thu 19 Nov 2020 10:24am <SNIP>.

Everything that goes on there is going to have to be supported and well maintained now
Youre a little more optimistic than me Skeptic
I believe in a few years time the name on the plaque will survive but the greater aspirations for a mental health hub will fall away - we will however be left with a 25mt lap pool - yeah!!!
On going funding will be an issue - does anyone know the break up between State Federal and private donation?
At best I can foresee a private health fund facility of a "personal mental health day" respite center for those ME days off work.

Seeya
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Thu 19 Nov 2020 5:08pm
skeptic wrote: Thu 19 Nov 2020 10:24am <SNIP>.

Youre a little more optimistic than me Skeptic
I believe in a few years time the name on the plaque will survive but the greater aspirations for a mental health hub will fall away - we will however be left with a 25mt lap pool - yeah!!!
On going funding will be an issue - does anyone know the break up between State Federal and private donation?
At best I can foresee a private health fund facility of a "personal mental health day" respite center for those ME days off work.
Interesting.

All I can add is that with the mental health royal commission... the investment in public housing etc. it feels like there’s a concerted effort being made to turn it all around.

Seems like it’ll be around for a while at least

Bowey Boy
Club Player

Does the physical structure affect the possibility of using the ground as a viewing stadium in the future?

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
leighsaintsince66
Club Player

I am officially relinquishing my dream...
There will NEVER be a new animal enclosure at Moorabbin.

minneapolis
Club Player

Jack Steven could have walked out the footy door and into the mental health door. Convenient.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Stage 2 was going to start building early in the year.
Covid put a halt to that .
Now we're getting stage 2 plus a wellness centre .
I thought the state government was going to cough up 10 million for stage 2 now we're only getting 7.3 million.

Does anyone know what the clubs predicted debt will be once this white elephant I mean wellness centre is finished ?

In red white and black from 73
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I wonder who thought it was good idea to build a mental health clinic within an elite sports training centre, i'm still trying to work out how these facilities go hand in hand.

I hope it all works out for these co-habiters.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

leighsaintsince66 wrote: Thu 19 Nov 2020 11:55pm I am officially relinquishing my dream...
There will NEVER be a new animal enclosure at Moorabbin.
I think there should be a model, like a military scene, called dioramas, simply entitled, “The Animal Enclosure Moorabbin 1976”.

It would be a good art exhibition piece in the social history corner of the local exhibition. Unfortunately, it might excite violence or celebrate it..because how would the artist resist not putting in a few models of guys fighting or throwing cans?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
leighsaintsince66
Club Player

Good suggestion Shane. As long as there are safeguards however.
Possibly the following?
If anyone is adversely affected by the exhibit, please contact Psychiatric Triage.
(Located near the main football department area).

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 19 Nov 2020 10:24am Really quite interesting that this is being based at RSEA...

The Mental Health / Well-being hubs are kind of the developing hot trend with services at the moment.

The general idea is that the majority of non-acute services e.g. psychology, types of support groups, lived experience, housing etc are all located in the one spot per’se

Different to say how there will be an inpatient ward at the hospital, a community mental health service in a different part of the catchment, an outreach service based elsewhere and so on.

It’s not a part of the mental healthcare that I work in so I’m not overly across these hubs and their functionality but it’s a very big shift away from what is traditionally based at a place like RSEA and it kind of brings a bit of seriousness to the place now...

Yes, it is going to be a real 'community oval' - not just in word, but in deed.
Like many others on here I wonder how this centre will actually be positioned and will function with clients/professionals/para-professionals and all the related staff, with the competing demands of professional and semi-professional sport training and matches, not to mention schools and local sporting groups all using the ground.
The reality is of course, that the state government will expect the wider community of Kingston, Glen Eira, and Bayside to all get access to services and ammenities based there, given it's proximity to South Road, the Nepean Hwy, and it's positioning in the geographic centre of the Southern Suburbs.

With the amount of coin spent on Moorabbin, what is the future of the Trevor Barker Oval at the bottom of Hampton St looking like? Given that Sandy have started playing matches at Moorabbin and Docklands before St Kilda games.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Sombersainter
Club Player

If this is a facility that is open to the public, is St.kilda merely providing land for a mental health care facility. Why would they do so and occupy land that might provide a stand??
Is the centre to provide services to St.Kilda players?
Is there ever to be viewing areas for mATCHES?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Sombersainter wrote: Wed 25 Nov 2020 2:29pm If this is a facility that is open to the public, is St.kilda merely providing land for a mental health care facility. Why would they do so and occupy land that might provide a stand??
Have you read the article or looked at the proposal?

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Yes, it is going to be a real 'community oval' - not just in word, but in deed.
community centric is a key driver
in the Clubs bigger picture

their Bay2Business Entity
is community centric

if anyone with a connection to the StKildaFC
can hustle some mental health care
for a struggling loved one
... well

WELL DONE the St Kilda FC and its partners

coz , getting help
... real time HELP ... is basically impossible

(and no
i haven’t read the proposal or the article either)

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote: Fri 20 Nov 2020 5:32pm Stage 2 was going to start building early in the year.
I thought the state government was going to cough up 10 million for stage 2 now we're only getting 7.3 million.

Does anyone know what the clubs predicted debt will be once this white elephant I mean wellness centre is finished ?
Now we are getting state and federal money for it?

Isn't this just stage 2 and 3 wrapped up into the one thing, spun a little with the wellness centre part to get more funding?

We need a damn pool.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote: Fri 20 Nov 2020 7:41pm I wonder who thought it was good idea to build a mental health clinic within an elite sports training centre, i'm still trying to work out how these facilities go hand in hand.

I hope it all works out for these co-habiters.
Physical fitness can assist with treatment of mental health issues esp trauma.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote: Sat 28 Nov 2020 7:46am
mr six o'clock wrote: Fri 20 Nov 2020 5:32pm Stage 2 was going to start building early in the year.

Isn't this just stage 2 and 3 wrapped up into the one thing, spun a little with the wellness centre part to get more funding?

We need a damn pool.
Remember what Blight said in 2000 - last time he checked footy ovals didn't have swimming pools or bikes during matches.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Sombersainter wrote: Wed 25 Nov 2020 2:29pm If this is a facility that is open to the public, is St.kilda merely providing land for a mental health care facility. Why would they do so and occupy land that might provide a stand??
Kingston City Council have plans for a stand for seating; yes.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 28 Nov 2020 9:23am
bigred wrote: Sat 28 Nov 2020 7:46am

We need a damn pool.
Remember what Blight said in 2000 - last time he checked footy ovals didn't have swimming pools or bikes during matches.
Golf course and a helicopter pad would have been handy though.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

I can remember when the bowls club on the corner was very popular
Still is...

Seeya