I believe the delisting of Savage is a mistake.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Re: I believe the delisting of Savage is a mistake.

saintbob wrote: Thu 26 Nov 2020 9:36pm
To the top wrote: Thu 26 Nov 2020 8:51pm Geary. Frawley. McKenzie
Webster. Claravino. Roberton

The Sandringham back 6 given no injuries among Clark, Coffield, Long, Paton, Wilkie, Howard and Carlisle (so our first choice defenders)

Savage was surplus to needs (and compare his appetite for the contest with the likes of our first choice defenders, starting with Long)

St Kilda only entertained players expressing the desire to play at St Kilda - and we currently see players nominating St Kilda

And we added the “polish” to our mid field which was spoken to

Now luck with injuries

We have added Carlisle, Long (both in the Brownlow votes when we beat Richmond), Gresham, Ryder, Crouch and Higgins to the side we last put on the park

So that should fix our bottom 6, which was our Achilles heel

Mind you all sides will improve

So we need to improve more

That is down to our youth
A fit Webster will push Long out of the best 22
A fit Webster, haven't seen one of those in a while. Get injured, recovering from injury. Would love to see him firing though.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

samoht wrote: Thu 26 Nov 2020 9:01pmMaybe he shouldn't have even been trusted to kick in the ball then ... if he's so poor at kicking ?
Clinton Jones wasn't available.

For the record, I like Savage as a player a lot more than I like kicking efficiency as a stat.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
To the top
SS Life Member

Long is among the first selected

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 26 Nov 2020 9:06pm
Clutching at straws now mate.
Efficiency = Effectiveness.

He was fine kicking in, until Wilkie came along.
Just to be clear - I'm learning something new every day.

Effective handball = a handball that finds the intended target. It has to find a team mate.

Effective kick = a 40 metre plus kick to at least a 50/50 contest - i.e., it could also be a long kick that finds a team mate in the clear.
A 15 metre chip to a team mate who might or might not be under some pressure is also deemed an effective kick, of course.

So Savage mostly kicks long (40- 60 metres) to 50/50 contests - he doesn't chip it 15 metres backwards or sideways to a team mate. OK, fair enough.
Last edited by samoht on Fri 27 Nov 2020 8:06am, edited 1 time in total.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Fri 27 Nov 2020 7:47am
CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 26 Nov 2020 9:06pm
Clutching at straws now mate.
Efficiency = Effectiveness.

He was fine kicking in, until Wilkie came along.
Just to be clear -

Effective handball = a handball that finds the intended target. It has to find a team mate.

Effective kick = a 40 metre plus kick to at least a 50/50 contest - i.e., it could also be one that finds a team mate in the clear.
So Savage mostly kicks long (40- 60 metres) to 50/50 contests - he doesn't chip it 15 metres backwards or sideways to a team mate. OK, fair enough.
No worries mate. I been clear on that from the start. Sav has had a good career but its more than likely over because we are so much better now than when he came and that loose, unaccountable bombs away stuff that made him and Ross leaders and top 10 players, isn't good enough any more. Fair enough.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

So, in short, unlike handball efficiency, kicking efficiency is a pretty meaningless stat: particularly for long kicks, which are almost always going to hang in the air long enough to result in a contest at the other end.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
asiu
Saintsational Legend

better the pill in our forward line
with their backs under pressure
(that dreaded contest thingy)
‘n the umps on the side of the boys
having a go

take em on

their backs are sitting ducks

have a wave coming at em
from half forward
looking to hurt somebody

should play footy like war

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

bring back the bomb

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 27 Nov 2020 8:05am Sav has had a good career but its more than likely over because we are so much better now than when he came and that loose, unaccountable bombs away stuff that made him and Ross leaders and top 10 players, isn't good enough any more. Fair enough.
For the record ...
Ross's DE was 67% this year ... a far cry from Savage's 83% last year.
I'm using Savage's last year stats as he played 22 games.

Savage destroyed us in a game playing for the hawks ... the difference was his team mates knew how to isolate and run into space for him and take full advantage of his long and accurate kicks.
Whatever he may have lacked defensively, he more than made up for offensively on that day.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Fri 27 Nov 2020 10:55am
CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 27 Nov 2020 8:05am Sav has had a good career but its more than likely over because we are so much better now than when he came and that loose, unaccountable bombs away stuff that made him and Ross leaders and top 10 players, isn't good enough any more. Fair enough.
For the record ...
Ross's DE was 67% this year ... a far cry from Savage's 83% last year.
I'm using Savage's last year stats as he played 22 games.

Savage destroyed us in a game playing for the hawks ... the difference was his team mates knew how to isolate and run into space for him and take full advantage of his long and accurate kicks.
Whatever he may have lacked defensively, he more than made up for offensively on that day.
Ross was told last year to drop his eyes and swim between the flags, why, because he has an ability to get his own ball and do something more constructive with it, even @ 72.7% last year.
His stats dropped dramatically in 2020 because he was given a defensive role and stopped bombing the ball.
Savage, who is a better kick, was only 10% better than Ross last year. He was just dropped and played 2 fill in games this year.
Why, cause he struggles to get his own ball, can't kick real straight at goal, and instinctively just kicks the ball long and high off half back to where all the defensive rebounders are waiting at half forward.
Forget my opinion of the 83%, forget that it drops to the 50's when he kicks for goal.
The same football department that took us from 14th to 6th and through to a semi-final, think Savage isn't worth keeping. Simple really, once you accept it for what it is.

The Billings Method
Club Player

asiu wrote: Fri 27 Nov 2020 10:40am bring back the bomb
Dr. Strangelove, how we learned to love the bomb.

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

The Billings Method wrote: Fri 27 Nov 2020 11:55pm
haha

yes

but ... have you stopped worrying first ?

The Billings Method
Club Player

asiu wrote: Sat 28 Nov 2020 12:12am
The Billings Method wrote: Fri 27 Nov 2020 11:55pm
haha

yes

but ... have you stopped worrying first ?
We're saints fans. We never stop worrying.

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Without doing any research
I would guess one of the reasons the"football dept" is happy with the list minus the two games from Savage
Is that we now have a true small forward that got many crumbing goals of our total kicked in 2020
We now have added another similar small
I would equally argue that teams with players that can kick 50mt+ goals are worth their weight

Seeya
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Sat 28 Nov 2020 1:44pm Without doing any research
I would guess one of the reasons the"football dept" is happy with the list minus the two games from Savage
Is that we now have a true small forward that got many crumbing goals of our total kicked in 2020
We now have added another similar small
I would equally argue that teams with players that can kick 50mt+ goals are worth their weight
True, if you could just pick the 1 in 4 games he is going kick a goal, he would be golden.

Saintmike65
Club Player

SaintPelican66 wrote: Mon 23 Nov 2020 4:59pm At 29 years old he still has at least 2 years left in him at the top level. We are now in the premiership window so a player like Sav could be very valuable. I can see why they did what the did but I would have rather they paid out McKenzie and kept Sav.

Agree that McKenzie should go but unfortunately, he is contracted for another 2 seasons.
I reckon the club is keen to play Webster if he gets his body right, (love to see Hunter Clark on the wing rotating through the middle), Leo Conelly will get opportunities also in time.
Savage was a victim of list balance, his age also probably counted against him in the end.

SaintPelican66
Club Player

Saintmike65 wrote: Wed 02 Dec 2020 12:03pm
SaintPelican66 wrote: Mon 23 Nov 2020 4:59pm At 29 years old he still has at least 2 years left in him at the top level. We are now in the premiership window so a player like Sav could be very valuable. I can see why they did what the did but I would have rather they paid out McKenzie and kept Sav.

Agree that McKenzie should go but unfortunately, he is contracted for another 2 seasons.
I reckon the club is keen to play Webster if he gets his body right, (love to see Hunter Clark on the wing rotating through the middle), Leo Conelly will get opportunities also in time.
Savage was a victim of list balance, his age also probably counted against him in the end.
I doubt very much that Leo will get a chance. Not AFL standard unfortunately IMHO

diddley
Club Player

SaintPelican66 wrote: Fri 04 Dec 2020 10:41am

I doubt very much that Leo will get a chance. Not AFL standard unfortunately IMHO
Based on what?
Were you there in Noosa watching him train?
Or are you basing that off what you saw at the start of the year, mere months after he was drafted?
Or are you basing that off your vibe off what you do or don’t read on uneducated Internet forums?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

diddley wrote: Fri 04 Dec 2020 11:02am

Based on what?
Or are you basing that off what you saw at the start of the year, mere months after he was drafted?
Or are you basing that off your vibe off what you do or don’t read on uneducated Internet forums?
Those at Moorabbin appear quite impressed by his two sided skill set. Will only help him as his body develops. Plus, he doesn’t shirk a contest.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Says who? Says you, so we can all discount that. :roll: Just more rubbish, ffs.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Well it’s good that we secured Treloar then because we need midfield depth.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
SaintPelican66
Club Player

Based on what?
Based on my ITK

SaintPelican66
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Fri 04 Dec 2020 11:43am

Well it’s good that we secured Treloar then because we need midfield depth.
Things always change during Trade Period unfortunately.

SaintPelican66
Club Player

saynta wrote: Fri 04 Dec 2020 11:22am

Says who? Says you, so we can all discount that. :roll: Just more rubbish, ffs.
Says my ITK.

diddley
Club Player

SaintPelican66 wrote: Fri 04 Dec 2020 2:12pm

Based on what?
Based on my ITK
So it’s not “your honest opinion”. It’s someone else’s opinion.