The Seb Ross discussions

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintmike65
Club Player

The Seb Ross discussions

Recently there have been a few forums basically comparing Seb Ross's value against other Saints players.
If you break up his game, we can get a better picture:

1. He lacks pace
2. He is not strong overhead
3. He rarely hits the scoreboard
4. He is ordinary by hand and foot
5. decision making only fair
6. Clearances only just
7. If we want to be a contender, forget about tagging!!

Yes, he won a couple of best & fairest but in an ordinary team.
Jack Steel has gone well past him, Hunter Clark will next season, Hannebury, Crouch, and Jones already are and Gresham & Higgins will rotate through there as well...both handy clearance players, smart and hit the scoreboard.
The interesting one is Bytel...love to see him fulfill his potential.
I am not a Seb basher, contrary to what you may think...just a supporter who sees things for what they are.

The Billings Method
Club Player

Re: The Seb Ross discussions

I feel Ratts may be in agreement with you, Saintmike65. Seb was given run with duties in the latter part of 2020, in an attempt to find a role for him in the revamped team. The acquisition of Crouch and Higgins, the return of Gresham and the potential of Bytel and Byrnes does not augur well for Seb.

I think his kicking may be the factor that sees him fall out if favour completely with Ratts. Pity, really. I've been a fan of Seb. In 2016, I thought he was going to be a genuine A grader. I believe he's gone backwards since, a victim of poor development coaching under Richo, much like Acres, Dunstan, Newnes, McKenzie et al.

I'm not a Seb basher, but with the new found depth in our midfield, he is on notice. Ratts has already moved him into the AFL's equivalent of the friend zone. Being traded is next, although FA looms. In racing parlance, "prefer others".

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Thu 24 Dec 2020 10:34am Recently there have been a few forums basically comparing Seb Ross's value against other Saints players.

1. He lacks pace
6. Clearances only just

Jack Steel has gone well past him, Hunter Clark will next season, Hannebury, Crouch, and Jones already are and Gresham & Higgins will rotate through there as well...both handy clearance players, smart and hit the scoreboard.
I am not a Seb basher, contrary to what you may think...just a supporter who sees things for what they are.
Not a Seb basher? Pull the other one. :roll:

For starters, Seb is not slow and rarely gets caught with the ball.

And the last thing we need on this forum is another thread where disgruntled losers can take another pot shot at one of the club's finest players of the past decade. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Sanctorum
Club Player

That's a remarkably restrained response from you saynta, is it the Christmas spirit that makes you feel a little benevolent??? :o :lol:

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Seb rarely gets caught with the ball because the second he gets it he just throws it on his boot to go who knows where!

He’s the kind of player who does well in an ordinary team, but won’t last long in a quality top 8 side.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Gershwin
Club Player

Saintmike65 wrote: Thu 24 Dec 2020 10:34am Recently there have been a few forums basically comparing Seb Ross's value against other Saints players.

1. He lacks pace
6. Clearances only just

To be fair:
1. He has elite stamina (usually top 3 in time trials)
2. In the leadership group and often captains the side.
3. Elite durability - has only missed a handful of games in recent years
4. Strongly team oriented. Has picked up the tagger role to free up Jack Steele.
5. 10th in B&F - not too bad for a tagger who missed 2 games.

IMO he is well and truly in the mix for Round 1 and it is up to Crouch, Higgins, and Hannebery in particular to show that they deserve a spot ahead of him.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Vazelos
Club Player

Sen Ross had a correction on his level and talent this year after a more exalted status in poor teams. If he is on the money we have been told 700 k + then he is over paid and will need to temper his salary expectations as we renegotiate several future and rising stars’ salaries to stay at St kilda.
If Bytel steps up I think Ross is a possibility to leave end of 2021 as is a role player now not a key mid.
Saying that he can play his role and be a good solid contributor in 2021.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

How many inside, back-bent, barrel in, collect and exit types are good at disposal? They are usually holding the ball for seconds, make a lateral switch and fire out rapid kicks and handballs. It seems chaotic. Hard to judge them for disposal skills. Speaking of judging. Was Chris Judd an inside player, yes, he could barrel through, collect and dispose nicely! Luke Ball? Nathan Burke?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Vazelos wrote: Thu 24 Dec 2020 2:11pm Sen Ross had a correction on his level and talent this year after a more exalted status in poor teams. If he is on the money we have been told 700 k + then he is over paid and will need to temper his salary expectations as we renegotiate several future and rising stars’ salaries to stay at St kilda.
If Bytel steps up I think Ross is a possibility to leave end of 2021 as is a role player now not a key mid.
Saying that he can play his role and be a good solid contributor in 2021.
The opposite could happen, the team continues it's upward trajectory and Bytel is starved of opportunity and leaves.

Vazelos
Club Player

It’s a balancing act with TPP if you have a 21-22 year old that can play at the same level as a 28 yo for half the money you have to make some big decisions. By end of 2021 we will know more of Bytels level as a player as Seb Ross comes out of contract as an RFA. I think it’s 50/50 for Ross to resign.... Hannebery has more years left in his contract and could prove more of a headache if he doesn’t start playing more games than he misses.
Whilst we have improved our midfield considerably we still don’t have that A + grade mid.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Cognitive Bias?

If Hanners plays three blinders and five decent games and is restricted game time or unavailable due to hamstring issues
Vs
Ross who plays 20 serviceable and two good games

The coaching and match committee would lean towards Ross because he is bankable....

Like using a slow and expensive steam ship in 1885 rather than a beautiful windjammer because the former arrives on time and the latter can be super fast or unacceptably slow, or even land on the rocks.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

At Christmas time I shall paraphrase that great Christmas movie The Life of Brian - "Apart from 140 games, 2 best and fairests, being a vice-captain and consistently being our biggest possession earner, what else has Seb Ross done for us?"

Great too see so many people refusing to label themselves as Seb Ross bashers on this thread.

Although, I never realised that being a Seb Ross basher impersonator was such a a popular pastime!

Merry Christmas to Seb Ross bashers and non-bashers alike, from card-carrying non-bashers.

Now is the hour to sign off from all of this crap generated on this forum and go stocktake the fridge and booze cupboard. Go Saints in 2021!

Saint supporter since '62
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Thu 24 Dec 2020 1:42pm That's a remarkably restrained response from you saynta, is it the Christmas spirit that makes you feel a little benevolent??? :o :lol:
Glad you picked up on that mate. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Season of good cheer and lets all be merry and gay, or something like that. :D :) :lol: 8-)

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Thu 24 Dec 2020 2:05pm

1. He lacks pace
6. Clearances only just

To be fair:
1. He has elite stamina (usually top 3 in time trials)
2. In the leadership group and often captains the side.
3. Elite durability - has only missed a handful of games in recent years
4. Strongly team oriented. Has picked up the tagger role to free up Jack Steele.
5. 10th in B&F - not too bad for a tagger who missed 2 games.

IMO he is well and truly in the mix for Round 1 and it is up to Crouch, Higgins, and Hannebery in particular to show that they deserve a spot ahead of him.
Excellent post mate, just f****** excellent. :wink:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 24 Dec 2020 2:28pm How many inside, back-bent, barrel in, collect and exit types are good at disposal? They are usually holding the ball for seconds, make a lateral switch and fire out rapid kicks and handballs. It seems chaotic. Hard to judge them for disposal skills. Speaking of judging. Was Chris Judd an inside player, yes, he could barrel through, collect and dispose nicely! Luke Ball? Nathan Burke?
If posters think that Seb at arround 75% is a poor disposer of the pill, wait until they get a good look at Crouch. :twisted:
Last edited by saynta on Fri 25 Dec 2020 8:55am, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Thu 24 Dec 2020 4:43pm At Christmas time I shall paraphrase that great Christmas movie The Life of Brian - "Apart from 140 games, 2 best and fairests, being a vice-captain and consistently being our biggest possession earner, what else has Seb Ross done for us?"

Great too see so many people refusing to label themselves as Seb Ross bashers on this thread.

Although, I never realised that being a Seb Ross basher impersonator was such a a popular pastime!

Merry Christmas to Seb Ross bashers and non-bashers alike, from card-carrying non-bashers.

Now is the hour to sign off from all of this crap generated on this forum and go stocktake the fridge and booze cupboard. Go Saints in 2021!
And merry Christmas to you and your family mate. I always enjoy reading your posts, unlike others who shall remain nameless at this time of the year. :D

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I’m reporting you saynta for introducing religion into a footy thread...nah...only kidding :wink:

Merry Xmas to you and the saynta family and to all Sainter supporters

To the top
SS Life Member

The debate should be about the players who can go to another level

And win games of footy for St Kilda off their own boots

And, in the process consolidate St Kilda such that finals footy is a given because to win Premierships you have to be a Finals side first

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

IMHO Seb is on borrowed time.

The list management aspect will help determine when he's let go, because the recruits already mentioned will overtake him in contribution.
Everything he does, will be assessed by data analysts and compared with the recruits.

He will slowly fall away and be a depth player.
In a poorly performing side, he's best 22, but we've brought in so much quality that they'll displace him.

Think about Shane Savage. I am truly sad that he didn't go around again, but Seb will end up similar

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Thu 24 Dec 2020 11:05pm IMHO Seb is on borrowed time.

The list management aspect will help determine when he's let go, because the recruits already mentioned will overtake him in contribution.
Everything he does, will be assessed by data analysts and compared with the recruits.

In a poorly performing side, he's best 22, but we've brought in so much quality that they'll displace him.

Think about Shane Savage. I am truly sad that he didn't go around again, but Seb will end up similar
I tend to agree he is on borrowed time, Sebby turns 28 in 2021 and may only have 4 to 5 years of footy playing at the elite level.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Vortex wrote: Sat 26 Dec 2020 3:58pm

I tend to agree he is on borrowed time, Sebby turns 28 in 2021 and may only have 4 to 5 years of footy playing at the elite level.
So, Seb is reaching his prime as a player and has already won 2 b&F's and may only have 4 or 5 years playing at the elite level. That explains why the Cats went after Shaun Higgins. Seb was still too young.

I realise most on this forum have never played the game at even suburban or bush minor league level; I really doubt how many actually go to watch a match in preference to watching it on TV. Most comments sound like radio is the source of their insights, especially when it comes to Seb.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Says something about our year.
Picking on old Sebby cause there are no other targets
Jack Newnes - gonezy, Magic Mav, gone etc.

How Kent escapes scrutiny flummoxes me...but then I realise there just isn’t any data from him to scrutinise. He simply doesn’t figure in the reels.

Who wants to bet? Who gets more games in ‘21?
Kent, Ross or Hanners?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

As I have posted manyt tmes on this forum, losers need a whipping boy.

Makes them feel better about themselves for some reason.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Sat 26 Dec 2020 8:02pm

So, Seb is reaching his prime as a player and has already won 2 b&F's and may only have 4 or 5 years playing at the elite level. That explains why the Cats went after Shaun Higgins. Seb was still too young.

I realise most on this forum have never played the game at even suburban or bush minor league level; I really doubt how many actually go to watch a match in preference to watching it on TV. Most comments sound like radio is the source of their insights, especially when it comes to Seb.
Do you think he can win another B&F

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Vortex wrote: Sat 26 Dec 2020 10:21pm
Trev from the Bush wrote: Sat 26 Dec 2020 8:02pm

Do you think he can win another B&F
Who knows and does it really matter? He's already won two more than most of the list. I haven't heard him moaning that he wants to play for Geelong because it's closer to Horsham, so he is in for the long haul. He was our best player against Richmond in the semi so why not?