Players I would most like to see improve.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Gershwin
Club Player

Players I would most like to see improve.

1. Brad Hill. If he wins our B&F then we win the flag. A matchwinner who is cream on our cake.
2. Max King. If he can clunk marks and average 4 goals a game then we will be hard to beat.
3. Hunter Clark. If he improve as much as Steele did this year then we will have another A- grade mid.
4. Jade Gresham. If he can stay fit and play most games then we have a genuine rover who can take advantage of Ryder’s ruck dominance.
5. Jack Higgins. If he can cement his place in the side then with Butler we will have 2 genuinely dangerous small forwards.

Others include Coffield, Bytel and Marshall.

These are players I think can improve. Others like Billings and Ross probably can’t and happy if Howard, Wilkie, Ryder etc. can continue at their current level.

summertime and the living is easy ........
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Re: Players I would most like to see improve.

battle?

Gershwin
Club Player

whiskers3614 wrote: Sun 28 Feb 2021 9:08pm battle?
Yes, definitely. Given good minutes he will have an impact. Not sure where he plays when Marshall returns.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote: Sun 28 Feb 2021 9:08pm battle?
Yes, it will be a battle to win the flag, as our history proves.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Sun 28 Feb 2021 9:02pm 1. Brad Hill. If he wins our B&F then we win the flag. A matchwinner who is cream on our cake.
2. Max King. If he can clunk marks and average 4 goals a game then we will be hard to beat.
3. Hunter Clark. If he improve as much as Steele did this year then we will have another A- grade mid.
4. Jade Gresham. If he can stay fit and play most games then we have a genuine rover who can take advantage of Ryder’s ruck dominance.
5. Jack Higgins. If he can cement his place in the side then with Butler we will have 2 genuinely dangerous
All of the above, and I believe they will injuries permitting.

Billings is the frustrating one. Has the ability but is often workman-like rather than dominant.

Maybe in a team with more star power (like now) he will be able to throw off the shackles more often. There will be less opposition focus on him.

He’s potentially a very dangerous winger/half forward but seems vulnerable to a tag and needs to develop strategies to get on top of this. Also needs to take his chances in front of goal.

carn_sainter
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Mon 01 Mar 2021 12:24am
Gershwin wrote: Sun 28 Feb 2021 9:02pm 1. Brad Hill. If he wins our B&F then we win the flag. A matchwinner who is cream on our cake.
5. Jack Higgins. If he can cement his place in the side then with Butler we will have 2 genuinely dangerous
All of the above, and I believe they will injuries permitting.

Billings is the frustrating one. Has the ability but is often workman-like rather than dominant.

Maybe in a team with more star power (like now) he will be able to throw off the shackles more often. There will be less opposition focus on him.

He’s potentially a very dangerous winger/half forward but seems vulnerable to a tag and needs to develop strategies to get on top of this. Also needs to take his chances in front of goal.
Has Billings ever actually been tagged? Why would the opposition do that?

It' no longer the U/19s...he's had 5, 6, 7 seasons now? and has never been a dangerous player.

He's a good contributor who would be starting 18 on any team, but absolutely not anywhere near being a star, just like he has never been anywhere near a B&F.

For me, Josh Battle is the one who might just start dominating games. He is a genuine gun who can hurt the opposition in many ways. It's just a matter of opportunity...he has all the tools.

The other player I would like to see improve is Gresham, for the opposite reasons. He'll have all the opportunity, but needs to improve his disposal.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Billings, Gresham, Sinclair, Battle, Clark, Coffield, King and Bytel.
It would be nice to see our best draft picks all turn it on at once and compliment our recent trading with a top 4 finish. Regardless of the fixture.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I want to see Clavarino get some clean air and string together some football. I've my fingers crossed he's the real deal, if so it puts more pressure on Jake to perform.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

5. Jack Higgins. If he can cement his place in the side then with Butler we will have 2 genuinely dangerous small forwards.

These are players I think can improve. Others like Billings and Ross probably can’t and happy if Howard, Wilkie, Ryder etc. can continue at their current level.
Who was the last forward to average 4 goals a game? It would be Tony Lockett wouldn't it?

Sincs is the player I would like to see improve amongst others ofcourse.

Viscount Jeremiah
Club Player

4 goals a game!

That puts him on track for 90 goals for the home and away season and 100 if we play 3 finals.

Would be happy if he can average 2 goals per game next year.

Premium89
Club Player

Viscount Jeremiah wrote: Mon 01 Mar 2021 1:35pm

4 goals a game!

That puts him on track for 90 goals for the home and away season and 100 if we play 3 finals.

Would be happy if he can average 2 goals per game next year.
If he averages 4 goals a game he’d be in line for a Charlie to go with the Coleman!! Love the optimism.

The Billings Method
Club Player

B1 and B2 for me. Battle and Bytel. I watched a fair bit of Jack in the juniors. He was always a gun. A cut above the rest.

If it hadn't been for that pesky back injury, he would've been a certain first rounder. It's his time now.

As for Mr.Battle, he was ways at the younger edge of his peer group. An absolute endurance beast and once his ego was pulled into line, a top class prospect. He has all the tools.

Both are stars in the making. Throw in Higgins and Gresham and we have four of the most promising young stars in the comp. Like Big Kev, when he was alive, "I'm excited"!"

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I think you’d be surprised about how effective Billings has been

Not many players have had as many 20+ possessions 2+ goal games as him over the past 4 years.

He gets marked harshly

King won’t average 4 a game, and the last person to do that was not Tony Lockett, it was Fraser Gehrig (who was 105kg)
King is about 90kg at this stage, playing on the best defenders
Be happy if he kicks 40+

Gresham MUST kick the ball better to be considered a very good player

Hill will have a better year

guitars4
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 01 Mar 2021 8:12am Billings, Gresham, Sinclair, Battle, Clark, Coffield, King and Bytel.
It would be nice to see our best draft picks all turn it on at once and compliment our recent trading with a top 4 finish. Regardless of the fixture.
Pretty much agree with the players you have listed I would add Howard & Lonie to the list

Sanctorum
Club Player

B.M wrote: Mon 01 Mar 2021 4:31pm I think you’d be surprised about how effective Billings has been

Not many players have had as many 20+ possessions 2+ goal games as him over the past 4 years.

He gets marked harshly

King won’t average 4 a game, and the last person to do that was not Tony Lockett, it was Fraser Gehrig (who was 105kg)
King is about 90kg at this stage, playing on the best defenders
Be happy if he kicks 40+

Gresham MUST kick the ball better to be considered a very good player

Hill will have a better year
I'm really keen for Jack Billings to win the Barkers this year, he has been teasing supporters for such a long time and shown he possesses all the attributes to become elite, yet not quite got there to date - maybe it's a confidence thing.

Likewise, if Bradley Hill plays to his potential the Saints will win a lot of games this year.

If Dan Hannebery can stay fully fit he like Hill is a proven match-winner.

Josh Battle if given full rein could be another Bontempelli, plays anywhere, takes strong marks and kicks goals.

Jade Gresham needs to improve his decision making when he's got the ball and if he does he'll be a strong asset.

There're so many more: King, Clark, Jones, Long, to mention a few, that have so much improvement in them still.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 01 Mar 2021 4:31pm I think you’d be surprised about how effective Billings has been

He gets marked harshly
Yep, he’s a good player rather than a star. Perhaps we’ll have to settle for that. He may have peaked.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Vortex wrote: Mon 01 Mar 2021 11:42am

Who was the last forward to average 4 goals a game? It would be Tony Lockett wouldn't it?

Buddy Franklin with 102 in '08. Before that - Gehrig with 90 in '04

Go you red, black & white warriors
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Tue 02 Mar 2021 1:11pm
Vortex wrote: Mon 01 Mar 2021 11:42am

Buddy Franklin with 102 in '08. Before that - Gehrig with 90 in '04
When was Buddy drafted? 04 or 05?

How exatatic will the faithful be if Kingy can deliver 4 goals per game in his second season in the system.

The clubs that had picks 1, 2 and 3 in Kings draft year will be kicking themselves

I'd be happy with him holding down a spot without getting injured and continuing to improve on his first year.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

If we’re looking at all clubs

Fev also kicked 99 in 2008.

Cameron, Roughie, Jack R, Jono B, Nick R, Hall, Lynch, Hawkins and Kennedy have all averaged 3-4 goals per game in various seasons

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 02 Mar 2021 10:11pm If we’re looking at all clubs

Fev also kicked 99 in 2008.

Cameron, Roughie, Jack R, Jono B, Nick R, Hall, Lynch, Hawkins and Kennedy have all averaged 3-4 goals per game in various seasons
Will we see 4 goal averages by forwards ever again. The mid 2000s was a long time ago and the defensive style of play that has become the standard game plan by coaches makes it dam hard for forwards to kick bags of goals to a 4 goal average.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Id like to see a magical ruckman appear out of thin air.
We have Ryder healthy we get a clever, yet aged pro.
Unhealthy we get what? McKearnon hopping liking a onelegged bunny?

Obviously we have Rowan, if healthy we have a great player but we can't expect one big man to have longevity.
Im really concerned we cant keep 2 big men healthy and dominant - we dont win a GF.