Channel 7 Commentary.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Premium89
Club Player

Re: Channel 7 Commentary.

Scollop wrote: Sat 08 Aug 2020 2:37am Ever since someone posted on here 3 years ago that they turn the sound off, I've been doing the same. Much more enjoyable watching the footy using the mute button...especially when Brucey is commentating and you don't need to hear him say; he 'squeeeeeezes' one out and it's a 'squirter' and whatever other non football terminology he wants to use
“Off a step...”

Bowey Boy
Club Player

Bruce needs to engage in mindfullness and engage in the present moment. The present moment is the only reality.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Premium89 wrote: Sat 08 Aug 2020 9:37am
Scollop wrote: Sat 08 Aug 2020 2:37am Ever since someone posted on here 3 years ago that they turn the sound off, I've been doing the same. Much more enjoyable watching the footy using the mute button...especially when Brucey is commentating and you don't need to hear him say; he 'squeeeeeezes' one out and it's a 'squirter' and whatever other non football terminology he wants to use
“Off a step...”
Bump

Thank f*** for that. Bruce McAvaney announces he won’t be commentating AFL for 7.

He’s left us with such a legacy...even the AFLW commentators can be heard saying ‘she squirts one out’

Now we just have to put up with BT confusing the jumper numbers and calling out the wrong names

longtimesaint
Club Player

We also have to put up with that idiot Brayshaw with his Melbourne bias and stupid comments.

One year will be our year
George27
Club Player

All the best , Bruce.

My favourite commentator of all time, in all sports. As someone who loves stats and starting assiduously accumulating them in the 60s , I have always loved Bruce’s knowledge , attention to detail, and his sense of occasion.

I am aware a lot of my fellow Saintsational contributors do not agree. Fine, no problem. Feel free to pile on in usual style. I prefer to acknowledge a wonderful career.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

I wonder if this has anything to do with his cancer.

The Billings Method
Club Player

The leukemia threat is still present. In remission but not quite clear. One of the finest all round sports commentators in the world, IMHO. Horse racing, tennis, athletics, etc.

Bruce did them all very well. His preparation and statistical knowledge were beyond compare. Strangely, I though AFL commentary was the least of his many strengths. His style was too histrionically sentimental.

At least, unlike Brayshaw, BT et al, he had the knowledge to inform, correctly. Well done, young Bruce. Enjoy your life. You were, indeed, speeeeeciallllll!

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
Premium89
Club Player

George27 wrote: Mon 01 Mar 2021 11:27am All the best , Bruce.

My favourite commentator of all time, in all sports. As someone who loves stats and starting assiduously accumulating them in the 60s , I have always loved Bruce’s knowledge , attention to detail, and his sense of occasion.

I am aware a lot of my fellow Saintsational contributors do not agree. Fine, no problem. Feel free to pile on in usual style. I prefer to acknowledge a wonderful career.
I enjoyed him - especially in combo with Dennis. His star definitely faded the last couple of years though.
An icon of the game!

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Way over the top in his commentary. Cringeworthy when commentating next to Carey. Shocking actually!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
StPeter
Club Player

I have always been a fan of Bruce.

Informed, accurate and, as someone who likes stats, usually coming up with interesting facts.

I will miss his commentary.

roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

I won't miss 'Important kick in the context of this season' or his other variations which drove me mental but I wish him all the best.

For better or worse he was just part of the football landscape and his impact is inescapable.

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
Sanctorum
Club Player

I don't really worry too much about the match commentary, the only bloke I can't stand is Bloody Eddie with his Collingwood bias and inane calling of the play! Hope he doesn't come back on with FoxFooty.

Bruce McAvaney was a great caller of the game, his enthusiasm for the "greatest game of all" was infectious and added to the atmosphere, especially in the marquee matches.

He was on a par with another veteran caller in Tim Lane (ABC), they both made you feel you were at the ground...when I lived overseas listening to their commentary was always full of nostalgia!

Grand Finals will not be the same without them.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 01 Mar 2021 6:31pm I don't really worry too much about the match commentary, the only bloke I can't stand is Bloody Eddie with his Collingwood bias and inane calling of the play! Hope he doesn't come back on with FoxFooty.

Bruce McAvaney was a great caller of the game, his enthusiasm for the "greatest game of all" was infectious and added to the atmosphere, especially in the marquee matches.

He was on a par with another veteran caller in Tim Lane (ABC), they both made you feel you were at the ground...when I lived overseas listening to their commentary was always full of nostalgia!

Grand Finals will not be the same without them.
Interesting that you mention Eddie. I started having a dislike for Brucey after the ‘97 Grand Final.

I didn’t mind McAvaney in his early years of AFL (before he started ‘inserting’ his personality into the commentary)

He is definitely one of the best and most versatile sports commentators

The Billings Method
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote: Mon 01 Mar 2021 4:12pm Way over the top in his commentary. Cringeworthy when commentating next to Carey. Shocking actually!
I loooovvvvee the duck. Get him up here. I want to boof him. The duuuuucckkk. He's deliccciiiious. He's specccciaaal! Apart from those moments, I really rated Bwuuuuce!

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Best ever commentator list (1960-2020)

Tony Charlton
Don Hyde
Dick Mason
Doug Mason
Peter Ewin
Tim Lane
Doug Heywood
Ian Cleland
Peter McKenna
Ian Robertson
Dennis Cometti
Bruce McAvaney

Special Comments
Leigh Matthews
Robert Walls

Needless to say, my mute button is used a lot these days.

Norman Banks used to call the footy when he was nearly blind but was more accurate than Brian Taylor.

The next time Wayne Carey says something remotely insightful will be the first.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: Mon 01 Mar 2021 9:27pm Best ever commentator list (1960-2020)
  • 1Tony Charlton
    2 Don Hyde
    3 Dick Mason
    Doug Mason
    Peter Ewin
    Tim Lane
    Doug Heywood
    Ian Cleland
    Peter McKenna
    Ian Robertson
    Dennis Cometti
    12 Bruce McAvaney
Special Comments
Leigh Matthews
Robert Walls

Norman Banks used to call the footy when he was nearly blind but was more accurate than Brian Taylor.

I dont disagree with your 12...but....I think you left out one of my favourite AFL commentators

What about 13....Thirteeeeeen....Huddo?

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 01 Mar 2021 9:31pm
What about 13....Thirteeeeeen....Huddo?
Geelong supporters are automatically excluded. If they weren't, he might get the 13th guernsey.

StPeter
Club Player

Agree in every way as a stats lover. Bruce's knowledge and commentary put him at the top of my list. I will miss him. I can do without BT.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

do we have another prac before the home and aways ?

Sanctorum
Club Player

perfectionist wrote: Mon 01 Mar 2021 9:27pm Best ever commentator list (1960-2020)

Tony Charlton
Don Hyde
Dick Mason
Doug Mason
Peter Ewin
Tim Lane
Doug Heywood
Ian Cleland
Peter McKenna
Ian Robertson
Dennis Cometti
Bruce McAvaney

Special Comments
Leigh Matthews
Robert Walls

I used to love the call on Radio Australia on shortwave band by Doug Bigelow with Smoky Dawson and Peter Booth relayed from 3LO in the 50s and 60s, used to sit there with pencil and notebook recording the final scores for the 6 VFL games and then calculating the ladder with percentages by longhand (it gave sense to learning maths!), match of the day included crossovers to all the other grounds for score updates etc. - it was a wonderful era!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
The Billings Method
Club Player

Dick Mason from the ABC was a legend. Dry, minimalist and hilarious.
Last edited by The Billings Method on Sat 06 Mar 2021 6:19pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

I knew he was "special" the first time I heard him call the Whyalla trots. He'd done the hard yards long before he came to Melbourne. He had to be exceptional to make Whyalla trots seem exciting. Well done Bruce.

Saint supporter since '62
stevie
Saintsational Legend

Loved all those old commentators. I would add Peter Landy, Drew Morphett and Sandy Roberts too. Watching old highlights on YouTube brings back great memories as a kid in country Vic

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sat 06 Mar 2021 11:59am do we have another prac before the home and aways ?
ok so no one knows ?

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Re the Brucester: race calling must be a good training ground for footy calling? Played a couple of amateur games in same club as Brucey; if he had a good day on the punt he drove a hot ride to training - after bad days he turned up in a clapped out holden. Fiercely intense even then though and he has been a star, just barracks too often and gone of the boil for some time (yes?). I guess his health condition does that to anyone. BT is still trying to model our man Rex Hunt without the fish kissing charisma and wit, I fear. JB's popularity with broadcasters has me stumped (old school chums gifting him gigs? Next hot topic might be why not female commentators and I dare not go there. I can't forgive D. Commetti for getting old(er) - miss him muchly.