23rd man selection

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

realdeal
Club Player

Re: 23rd man selection

diddley wrote: Thu 18 Mar 2021 5:37pm What I haven’t seen any mention on here is that if a player is medically subbed off, they can’t play for 12 days after that.
It is also determined by the doctor, not the coach.
This is to stop the abuse of the system.
It isn’t to be used just to “have a rest”. It is for medium to long term injuries.
Concussion yes but not general injury as far as im aware.

Let's see if Silvagni or Vlaustin play next week then...

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I think it's perfect for a player like Connelly. He can play in multiple running roles, has excellent disposal and is quick.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

realdeal wrote: Fri 19 Mar 2021 8:39am
diddley wrote: Thu 18 Mar 2021 5:37pm What I haven’t seen any mention on here is that if a player is medically subbed off, they can’t play for 12 days after that.
It isn’t to be used just to “have a rest”. It is for medium to long term injuries.

Yep, Silvagni and Vlaustin are both able to be picked next week.

Seems like a pretty simple loophole to fix up - any player that is subbed out can't play again for 12 days, easy.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
realdeal
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Fri 19 Mar 2021 9:01am

Seems like a pretty simple loophole to fix up - any player that is subbed out can't play again for 12 days, easy.
Very easy... but this is the AFL we're talking about 🤪

Players were moving 10-15m off the mark, so instead of just tightening it up to a general 1m zone they can jump around in on the mark the umpires are instructing them to be statues!

Like common sense, easy isnt always easy for some organisations..

diddley
Club Player

realdeal wrote: Fri 19 Mar 2021 9:18am
The_Dud wrote: Fri 19 Mar 2021 9:01am

Very easy... but this is the AFL we're talking about 🤪

Players were moving 10-15m off the mark, so instead of just tightening it up to a general 1m zone they can jump around in on the mark the umpires are instructing them to be statues!

Like common sense, easy isnt always easy for some organisations..
I have read a few people say that it’s only concussion for the 12 days rule, but here is a extract from the afl.com.au announcement post about the new sub rule.

“To be eligible for a medical substitution, the club doctor must decide that an injured player will be unable to play a game in the next 12 days.
Concussed players must already sit out a mandatory 12-day recovery period under new protocols introduced by the AFL for the 2021 season.”

So I am confused, is it only concussion for the 12 days, or any injury?

Edit-
“Should a subbed-out player recover from an injury other than concussion before the next match, he may be granted to play provided his return is ticked off by the AFL Medical Officer.”
Wait to see how many times this is exploited. I can already hear the uproar when this happens in a prelim.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/563046/new- ... head-of-r1

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Thu 18 Mar 2021 10:06pm ok so we could go on forever arguing the pros & cons of each individual rule if you want to
but the fast play on change after behind I see was brought about by coaches setting up the offensive 50 play - where it is the easiest tactic in the world to flood your forwardline with 18 players to lock the ball in your forward half after a point
But whatever - if you want to ignore longer quarters, decreased interchange, with increased injury risk to players then fine
Would people sleep more peacefully if it was just called 4 on the interchange bench??? you just have to designate one player couldnt come back on after while?
Or do you just want to go back to when there 18 players named and thats that

Me? Im just going to keep enjoying the spectacle of the best ball game on this planet
Don't get me wrong, I like the fast play on rule from a rushed behind. But there was no need for the next rules that followed it.
The AFL itself tried to "fix" the rule with more rules instead of just letting this one be for a while.
Personally, I had no problem with what either Hawthorn or Joel Bowden did. It was great tactical nous.
Maybe the rule should have been that the ball goes to a neutral situation when its a deliberately rushed behind. Maybe a ball-up 25m from goal (where the player now has to stand the mark from a kick-in).

As for the new sub rule, it's only taken one game for it to be questioned.
The AFL have brought in a rule for concussion that does nothing to stop the occurrence of concussion, but allows for teams to bring on fresh legs late in a game.

CarlD
Club Player

The way the Saints are going with injuries this year it might be handy to go to a 26th man :(