Ben Long

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Re: Ben Long

His stats were better than many including Gresham.. where's the big bitch fest post about how Gresham has started off rubbish, no impact, slow, poor decisions....a gifted goal I guess saves him from scrutiny....again.
What about the other 12 players who were worse than Long....anyone starting a post on them?

I don't get the 3rd grade pile on mentality on here.

One player was very decent the rest were ok to avg to barely acceptable.

Saintmike65
Club Player

The Billings Method wrote: Tue 02 Mar 2021 6:28pm I would like to get the thoughts of other forumites as to where they see Ben Long's develop. IMHO he is still the same player he was in 2017-8.

His stats seem to reflect this. He has averaged 11 possessions a game over his four years, with one year that number soaring to 12.

His performance in the practice match against Norf was instructive. Eight possessions against a pathetic opposition. Please correct me if that is wrong. This is fairly typical of his output. The quarterback type playmaker. The seventh defender. Not good enough IMHO.

He has been overtaken by Sinclair, Webster and God forbid, DMac. Interestingly, a mate who is a recruiter for Melbourne gave me another perspective. Melbourne was interested in the off season, but dismissed our demand of a pick on the 30s.

Essendon in their annual inquiry about Longy laughed at our demand for a pick in the 30s as well. I know that involved Dildoro was involved in that, but it shows you his market value.

I know the coach is a fan, but IMHO he is no more than a GOP. In racing parlance, prefer others. He occasionally shows a flash of skill, but then retreats into his default position for long periods of time. Mediocrity.

And he could do well to drop the pretend "hard man" act. All he's done with his tough guy schtick
is give away free kicks and get suspended. Next year, grab that pick on the 40s and run like it's stolen.

I agree with what you say up to the Dmac comment...please!! but as long as Ratts is coach, doubt Ben Long's going anywhere.
When He was still an assistant coach with us, I heard Ratts at a function declare his love for Ben Long!
It is, however a very important year for Long, as his career seems to be stagnating.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Thu 04 Mar 2021 10:34pm Long will be a regular in our side. despite the thoughts of some ....individuals on here.
put your hands up...individuals.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Long was very good today

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 7:22pm
The Fireman wrote: Thu 04 Mar 2021 10:34pm Long will be a regular in our side. despite the thoughts of some ....individuals on here.
put your hands up...individuals.
I’m something of a supporter of Long and thought he was sensational tonight. Featured in my votes.

What’s interesting about him is you can really see the difference between when he’s under pressure and when he has support around him. From about half way through the 3/4, he started making the type of mistakes that ppl criticise him for and doing it quite a bit... but in his defence, I think it’s because his work rate didn’t drop off and he kept attacking contests whilst the supports dropped off.

He has this incredible way of attacking the contest whilst trying to manipulate the outcome so as to favour no matter the outcome. If goes up for a mark and punches it towards teams, goes for a tackle and tries to knock the ball free, goes into the contest and taps the ball towards a team mate

Super impressed

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I’ve been a critic of Long. Tonight he was sensational. Was safe with the ball. Controlled aggression. Got plenty of it. Great game

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Great player, will only get better 👍

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

... is an absolute ripper!

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

17 disposals
10 contested.
6 One percenters.
58% DE

His one Free Against was fkn dodgy at best.

A great game. His first half in particular.

Needs to tighten up that kicking or will get found out at the dome.

See him knock the pi55 out of that bloke in the middle?

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
ace
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 7:52pm 17 disposals
10 contested.
6 One percenters.
58% DE

When I saw that I thought oh oh.
What did you do wrecking ball.
But what really happened was a Giant with the ball thought I can through him because he will move aside to place a tackle which I can burst.
No Long help his ground.
If the Giant had head butted Long and got knocked out the media would have piled in to Long but it was the Giant who caused the contact.

I did not have Long in my 22, I am glad I was wrong.
He's in my 22 for next week.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

10 contested.
6 One percenters.
58% DE

Fitty eight % DE in those conditions, in that game, is not all that untidy, Red. And, as he does, he 'tried' some things - 3rd 1/4, hit the back of the pill, to try and get some run on the pill going forward (going left of screen) - nearly came off, too.

He remains 'in the mix'.

But, we do bat deep now.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Long was good value today. One of his better games when you factor in the conditions.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintkid
Club Player

I've always liked Long. He has heaps of ability and skill. When he puts it together, he is an important player of this team.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Haven't watched the game yet but IMO very important player in the big picture . He might not get it right every time but he is a very good player & I think he will only get better

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Hi aggression and closing speed is very very important and today with ball in hand he was far more composed
Great game walk up 22 anyday

“Yeah….nah””
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

10 contested.
6 One percenters.
58% DE

I hope it was instructive. Yes, it was line ball but an experienced campaigner wouldn’t have fell for it. And Long already has a ‘reputation’.

He was good...all good signs IMO, and he’s gonna be there. If he can get the video on this marginal case and use it, somehow without sacrificing his ‘pack dog’ like mentality which I love and he has the skill to justify it, bravo. Forward and steady as she goes Longy.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
ace
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 10:48pm
10 contested.
6 One percenters.
58% DE

I hope it was instructive. Yes, it was line ball but an experienced campaigner wouldn’t have fell for it. And Long already has a ‘reputation’.

He was good...all good signs IMO, and he’s gonna be there. If he can get the video on this marginal case and use it, somehow without sacrificing his ‘pack dog’ like mentality which I love and he has the skill to justify it, bravo. Forward and steady as she goes Longy.
His FREE FOR for was not paid by the racist umpiring.
Tackled and dumped without the ball.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Had a good game.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Long was very good today! He was our best and most composed defender in a defence that was under seige for most of the game. GWS had 68 inside 50's our defence was under the pump and stood up well.

Winmore
Club Player

Certainly not the best Long to ever play the game, but has a crack, unlike Hill and Billings who often flounce around the periphery waiting to be the beneficiaries of others’ hard work.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Winmore wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 11:12pm Certainly not the best Long to ever play the game, but has a crack, unlike Hill and Billings who often flounce around the periphery waiting to be the beneficiaries of others’ hard work.
Different strokes for different folks mate Hill & Billings are just as valuable. Obviously Long plays the way he does & IMO we need that aggression & run but too be fair Billings especially was pretty bloody good today & Hill yeah was ok but you play to your strengths & you need that for team balance IMO

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saintkid wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 8:39pm I've always liked Long. He has heaps of ability and skill. When he puts it together, he is an important player of this team.
His pressure was great but what I love about Ben is that he defends with a mindset that helps us retain possession

His disposal usually opens up scoring chains. His kicking is usually to his team mates advantage.

He's got upside too. He's only going to get better with more experience and with maturity.

We have a great bunch of emerging leaders all over the ground and they are great role models for young players like Ben

bigred
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 8:31pm
10 contested.
6 One percenters.
58% DE

Fitty eight % DE in those conditions, in that game, is not all that untidy, Red. And, as he does, he 'tried' some things - 3rd 1/4, hit the back of the pill, to try and get some run on the pill going forward (going left of screen) - nearly came off, too.

He remains 'in the mix'.

But, we do bat deep now.
I hear what you are saying and yes, you would think that in those conditions that 58% DE is pretty good.

Howard was our best at 82%
Dmac went at 78% which is freaking outstanding for him.

Longy is best 22 for mine. One of the first picked to be honest.
The wrecking ball. I just love it.
If he can bring that same ferocity without getting himself rubbed out then he will have a good year.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Vazelos
Club Player

Long is a permanent first 22 player he will make mistakes he has played less than 50 games his best is yet to come he will get better and better.
His aggression, agility, closing down speed, courage and hardness gives him enormous currency in this club. If you can’t see that then you don’t understand why Ratten rates him so highly.
Long is important to this team he does so many little things to influence contests his presence alone gives us an advantage.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Very good 3rd quarter yesterday and just needs to be a bit more consistent, but overall a good effort.