What Melbourne will learn about 2021 St Kilda

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Re: What Melbourne will learn about 2021 St Kilda

Jones & King are huge inclusions for us. Jones gives us that burst out of packs and King the focal point up forward. Hopefully the fast track at Marvel works in our favour and we can slice them up through the middle. On the flip side they will attempt to do the same so our high half forwards will have to be on their game.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 22 Mar 2021 4:01pm Jones & King are huge inclusions for us. Jones gives us that burst out of packs and King the focal point up forward. Hopefully the fast track at Marvel works in our favour and we can slice them up through the middle. On the flip side they will attempt to do the same so our high half forwards will have to be on their game.
I hope we don’t put the bank on Max King.

Both Zac and Max played last year in the Melbourne loss. Max had 3 possessions and one kick. Zac did OK with 20. And we had Marshall, Paton, Geary etc.,

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Someone said 'keep the ball away from May'
Great theory, but imagine the coaches saying it pre-game.
That's a direct insult to whoever is matched up on May.

Yes, our guys need to spot May's location and not kick anywhere near him.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

For the last 50 years, whenever I have been asked before a Grand Final, which team will win, I have said, "The team with the best backline." Ironically, this didn't work in 1971 - 50 years ago. Today, Richmond has the best backline. I thought that when Alex Rance left, it might suffer badly. I was wrong. It didn't suffer at all because Dylan Grimes assumed the same role - a player who never makes a mistake, takes contested marks and always choses the right option. He was overlooked by all teams in the 2009 Draft and went to Richmond in the pre season.

The most lopsided statistic in our game against GWS was not the free kick count but the number of contested marks - 12 to 1. This reflected a few things - notably the absence of our two ruckmen, both who take contested marks, and the absence of someone like Grimes, let alone Rance. In order to strengthen this department, James Frawley was brought out of retirement. Jake Carlisle was also supposed to strengthen this area, but he has been notable for his unwillingness to fly for marks anywhere around the ground. I don't know why that is - he's big enough, but doesn't seem to be able to watch the ball from air to hands as all good contested markers do - think Kosi.

From what I have seen, Melbourne doesn't have a great backline either, with spoiling rather than marking their preferred option. It's a point I have made many times before, but our one and only flag was largely due to the decision of our full back to take a contested mark rather than punch the ball away with 20 seconds to go. We will never know what a spill might have produced, but the contested mark sent the ball into the opposite direction and into the hands of Alan Morrow. In GF1 in 2010, Collingwood regained the lead because we had no-one willing and able to take a contested mark, instead the ball was spilled and they scored. The same happened in 2009 in the last quarter and Paul Chapman took advantage.

We had our first AA last year for a while with Nick being the last recipient in 2014. Jack Steele deserved it, I just wish we had a tall backline player in AA class. The dryness of the Dome might tell us more about our marking ability on the backline this year.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

perfectionist wrote: Wed 24 Mar 2021 9:24am For the last 50 years, whenever I have been asked before a Grand Final, which team will win, I have said, "The team with the best backline." Ironically, this didn't work in 1971 - 50 years ago. Today, Richmond has the best backline. I thought that when Alex Rance left, it might suffer badly. I was wrong. It didn't suffer at all because Dylan Grimes assumed the same role - a player who never makes a mistake, takes contested marks and always choses the right option. He was overlooked by all teams in the 2009 Draft and went to Richmond in the pre season.

The most lopsided statistic in our game against GWS was not the free kick count but the number of contested marks - 12 to 1. This reflected a few things - notably the absence of our two ruckmen, both who take contested marks, and the absence of someone like Grimes, let alone Rance. In order to strengthen this department, James Frawley was brought out of retirement. Jake Carlisle was also supposed to strengthen this area, but he has been notable for his unwillingness to fly for marks anywhere around the ground. I don't know why that is - he's big enough, but doesn't seem to be able to watch the ball from air to hands as all good contested markers do - think Kosi.

From what I have seen, Melbourne doesn't have a great backline either, with spoiling rather than marking their preferred option. It's a point I have made many times before, but our one and only flag was largely due to the decision of our full back to take a contested mark rather than punch the ball away with 20 seconds to go. We will never know what a spill might have produced, but the contested mark sent the ball into the opposite direction and into the hands of Alan Morrow. In GF1 in 2010, Collingwood regained the lead because we had no-one willing and able to take a contested mark, instead the ball was spilled and they scored. The same happened in 2009 in the last quarter and Paul Chapman took advantage.

We had our first AA last year for a while with Nick being the last recipient in 2014. Jack Steele deserved it, I just wish we had a tall backline player in AA class. The dryness of the Dome might tell us more about our marking ability on the backline this year.
Such an excellent, insightful post - especially in respect of the losing GF's. Thank you.

Melbourne's defence is actually very much like St Kilda's. We have Howard who plays deep and is largely negating in style so does/is Steven May. We have Wikie - who is more of an intercept marking player ... much like Jake Lever. Then we both have a raft of mid/smaller type players in support. If I'm honest - May is a bit more negating than Howard (who likes to run off at times); Lever is a little classier than Wilkie but - our set-ups are remarkably similar.

Even though we'll get King back this week - our chances of winning largely rely on getting midfield dominance. If we have it; they won't (and vice versa). i.e. hard to get F50 entries and score when you don't have it.

Go you red, black & white warriors
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

King was completely ineffective llast year vs Melbourne. One kick. Melbourne know that. Tell me what’s gonna be different and why...and how!

We must revenge the pain of that loss!,

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 24 Mar 2021 11:28am King was completely ineffective llast year vs Melbourne. One kick. Melbourne know that. Tell me what’s gonna be different and why...and how!

Well let’s hope we don’t direct every foray at King if he is being blanketed. There are other routes to goal.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Wed 24 Mar 2021 12:52pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 24 Mar 2021 11:28am King was completely ineffective llast year vs Melbourne. One kick. Melbourne know that. Tell me what’s gonna be different and why...and how!

Well let’s hope we don’t direct every foray at King if he is being blanketed. There are other routes to goal.
Yes, perhaps it could work in our favorur. Two-Bob trick....They think we’ll just use him as a decoy, and May will be sent elsewhere. A bam! We only need fifteen minutes to get the jump!

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Just hope we learnt from last time we played and don’t bomb it to May and Lever all night.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote: Wed 24 Mar 2021 4:26pm Just hope we learnt from last time we played and don’t bomb it to May and Lever all night.
We made May look like a rock star in that game, May was close to being sacked for fraud and then we played him into magnificent form which he more or less has maintainted since.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Has RIcho made any comments?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.