Ryder at St Kilda is like Trbojevic at Manly Sea Eagles

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sanctorum
Club Player

Ryder at St Kilda is like Trbojevic at Manly Sea Eagles

I have long expressed the view that one of the main reasons for St Kilda's poor performance in four of the six games played so far has been the absence of Ryder and Marshall.

I say that because in 2020, and the pre-season this year, the team's game plan has been based principally on that ruck combination, giving Saints midfielders first use of the ball at centre bounces and stoppages, and having both ruckmen rest in the forward line to strengthen the Saints' attack.

In the NRL I have long been a supporter of the Manly Sea Eagles, having lived there for a year when studying in 1961.

For those who do not follow NRL, up until a fortnight ago Manly had won just one game, against the bottom team, and the reason for this was that their star fullback, Tom Trbojevic, was out with a hamstring injury. He is regarded as one of, if not THE best fullback in the comp and without him Manly was getting smashed.

"Tommy Turbo" returned to the team 2 weeks ago and all of a sudden Manly is back in top form, big wins both weekends, and are now considered a strong chance to make finals.

I wouldn't mind betting that St Kilda will do a "Manly" against Hawthorn, in the belief that Ryder's presence in the team and combining with Marshall, will lift the players around them and get back into the sort of winning form that got them into the finals in 2020.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ryder at St Kilda is like Trbojevic at Manly Sea Eagles

I think thats what we are all hoping for and we will just have to wait and see

That said if we are that fragile that we have to rely on 2 players (one a 33 yo) to get us up and about then the chances of us winning a premiership with this team are zero

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
older saint
SS Life Member

Hope your correct based on what Manly has done

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Turbo

stevie
Saintsational Legend

I’ve followed Manly since 1982, bro. Been lucky enough to see them win 4 flags in that time. The turnaround this season has been great. And don’t forget we have won 3 on the trot now with the narrow win over the Warriors. Turbo is a gun It’s a shame he spends more time off the park though. His hammies are so fragile

Up the Sea Eagles

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Easier for one player to make a difference in Rugby than it is in AFL

Ryder is not Polly Farmer

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 27 Apr 2021 6:11pm Ryder is not Polly Farmer
No, Ryder's legs are the same length.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Tue 27 Apr 2021 4:40pm I think thats what we are all hoping for and we will just have to wait and see

That said if we are that fragile that we have to rely on 2 players (one a 33 yo) to get us up and about then the chances of us winning a premiership with this team are zero
Plenty of 33 year olds at Port on Sunday. They're doing alright now. Then again, they have only won 1 final since 2015, the same as us (although they made a prelim back in 2014).

And speaking of 33 year olds, Frawley is going to be very handy for us when he can play again too.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Will be great to have Paddy back. Would be better if we had Gresham to rove to him. Not a lot of dash and creativity in our midfield at the moment.

minneapolis
Club Player

Saints are always waiting for the Messiah.......

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The thing about Ryder is - apart from being a very, very good tap ruckman - he allows us to use Marshall predominately as a forward.

Structurally that is very important as King is a little green to fly solo IMO.

Also, let’s hope Carlisle slots back into defence as I think he’s important to structure there.

Not sure we can beat the Hawks, but here’s hoping

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I think Marshall is a way better ruckman than a forward!

Kicked 28 goals in 54 games

Never kicked more than 2 in a game

As a ruckman, he is nearly the best player in the team. As a forward he is alright.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 28 Apr 2021 9:52pm I think Marshall is a way better ruckman than a forward!

Kicked 28 goals in 54 games

Never kicked more than 2 in a game

As a ruckman, he is nearly the best player in the team. As a forward he is alright.
Ryder earned his spot as No.1 ruckman last season.

Not saying Marshall can’t ruck. He obviously can do it very well, but we need him forward at the moment. Long bombs to King isn’t working.

We need a viable alternative.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Tue 27 Apr 2021 4:32pm I have long expressed the view that one of the main reasons for St Kilda's poor performance in four of the six games played so far has been the absence of Ryder and Marshall.

I say that because in 2020, and the pre-season this year, the team's game plan has been based principally on that ruck combination, giving Saints midfielders first use of the ball at centre bounces and stoppages, and having both ruckmen rest in the forward line to strengthen the Saints' attack.

In the NRL I have long been a supporter of the Manly Sea Eagles, having lived there for a year when studying in 1961.

For those who do not follow NRL, up until a fortnight ago Manly had won just one game, against the bottom team, and the reason for this was that their star fullback, Tom Trbojevic, was out with a hamstring injury. He is regarded as one of, if not THE best fullback in the comp and without him Manly was getting smashed.

"Tommy Turbo" returned to the team 2 weeks ago and all of a sudden Manly is back in top form, big wins both weekends, and are now considered a strong chance to make finals.

I wouldn't mind betting that St Kilda will do a "Manly" against Hawthorn, in the belief that Ryder's presence in the team and combining with Marshall, will lift the players around them and get back into the sort of winning form that got them into the finals in 2020.
Like I said above, having Ryder and Marshall back together in the ruck and around the ground made all the difference and allowed the Saints to play the way they did last year: move the ball quickly, go through the centre corridor, and enable Jones and Hill to dominate around the ground.

Amazing how all the players lifted, and the defence was as tight as it was in 2020.

I'm not suggesting the Saints are out of the woods just yet, but they'll go into the encounter against GC Suns next Saturday with renewed confidence!!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

minneapolis wrote: Wed 28 Apr 2021 5:02am Saints are always waiting for the Messiah.......
Are you suggesting that Paddy is NOT the Messiah? :D

ace
Saintsational Legend

Manly Sea Eagles ?
What AFL league do they play in ?
Will have to change their name to Personally Sea Eagles if they want to compete in the AFL or VFL.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Sun 02 May 2021 2:33am
minneapolis wrote: Wed 28 Apr 2021 5:02am Saints are always waiting for the Messiah.......
Are you suggesting that Paddy is NOT the Messiah? :D

ahhhhhh

very good

:)

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
damienc
Club Player

If you live in Sydney, supporting Manly is like barracking for Collingwood.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Tue 27 Apr 2021 4:32pm I have long expressed the view that one of the main reasons for St Kilda's poor performance in four of the six games played so far has been the absence of Ryder and Marshall.

Bump. Spot on. :wink: