The Idiot's apprentice.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Billings Method
Club Player

The Idiot's apprentice.

I didn't know which thread was the most appropriate for this, so I'll try to keep this brief. There has been a lot of criticism of our recruiting and list management, most of it justified.

It has been directed, mainly at Gags and Lethers and historically, Elshaug. The one who seems to have escaped much of the criticism is our "National Recruiting Manager", Chris Liberatore.

He was apprenticed under the idiot, Elshaug, for seven years. While he has done a slightly better job than his master, that wouldn't be hard. Lethers saw the problem as soon as he arrived and moved Elshaug on.

He had a chance to wipe a very dirty slate clean, but failed to do so. Instead of pursuing Hanners, he may have done the club a bigger favour by getting in a gun recruiter or two, e.g Beatson or Wells or similar. An investment in our future.

While I appreciate the list manager's desire to acquire trades and sell off draft picks would've hampered Chris, he has also been the major part of the decision making. Recruiting isn't just about drafting.

I also noted GT on 7 news tonight lamented he'd never see a flag. Tellingly, he blamed the past 4 years of recruiting. Guess who's been in charge for that period? Yep. The idiot's apprentice. The tradition continues.

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
seano1
Club Player

Re: The Idiot's apprentice.

I’m with gt at 64 I don’t think I will see one either

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

seano1 wrote: Mon 26 Apr 2021 8:39pm I’m with gt at 64 I don’t think I will see one either
Me neither. The Bummers game was a turning point for me. It was the first time that reality actually sank in and the first time I stopped hoping. A lifetime of “one day” changed to “ah, probably not”.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Oh well, doesn't look like we'll see the Saints win a flag this decade.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
MickThomas
Club Player

I suggest there's a few clubs that can't win a flag in the next decade.
We're top of the list.
GWS
Suns
Crows
Maybe Pies cos they're drinking their own bathwater and just keep digging a hole

There's a few that are on a trajectory that we *could* have been on, but they're moving well past us and disappearing outta sight.

Dees
They've identified some issues within the club and seem to have addressed them. It's far too early to call it, of course, but they played a final in Perth and lost- they've learned from that and they won't fall into our trap of believing they're the duck's guts.

Dogs
Won against the odds, they know what it takes, and apart from recruiting a washed up FF with no upside, they haven't made our mistakes

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Anyone remember Trout as an assistant under Ross Lyon?

I think half way through 2009 he was no longer on the coaching staff and some months later he mysteriously reappeared as our head of recruiting.

Anyone know the back story to this?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Darth Vader
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Tue 27 Apr 2021 11:06am Anyone remember Trout as an assistant under Ross Lyon?

I think half way through 2009 he was no longer on the coaching staff and some months later he mysteriously reappeared as our head of recruiting.

Anyone know the back story to this?
Had some personal/family issues from memory. Can’t recall the details but he had to step down but the club or Ross liked him so found him a new role when he was able to come back.

The Billings Method
Club Player

Found him a new position so he wouldn't sue for unlawful dismissal. Parasite. Failed at everything he did at the club. Lyon quickly moved him out of the coaches box, I think you'll find.

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

I thought Elshaug was drafted by St Kilda at pick 29 in the 1988 VFL Pre Season draft but his record says he played for Collingwood that year.

The draft records on the net show he was drafted to us, i know he didn't play for the Saints, i thought he said No thanks.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
The Billings Method
Club Player

He refused to play for us. Farken rat. Always was a Saints' hater. I remember him rubbishing the saints at a Windy Hill Sunday morning barrel turn. Complete, arse licking turd.

When there was nowhere left to go, he went to the saints because he had burned every other bridge. Incompetent turd and just a s*** bloke. Ask anyone who's known him for more than 5 minutes.

Once the "good bloke" schtick wears off, he gets exposed for the two faced arse licker he really is.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

hehehehe

there’s a certain , ummmmm , passion
evident in that post

it’d be rough being on the wrong side of the
physical mental ‘n moral integrity ledger
with you around

:P

hahahaha

(the spiv is a good teacher .. the fuckers were everywhere in my life)

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

The inability to identify top class midfielders is the glaring failure. Picking Ben Long over Shai Bolton, Luke Dunstan over Zach Merrett, Billings over Bontompelli, Mc Cartiin over Petracca. Those four decisions alone have cost us an A Grade midfield, which you need to win a flag.

When was the last time we recruited an A Grade midfielder via the national draft?. It has to be at least 15 years. That's an absolute failure in recruiting, a debacle. Every other clubs has managed to do it except us.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The Billings Method wrote: Wed 28 Apr 2021 3:43am He refused to play for us. Farken rat. Always was a Saints' hater. I remember him rubbishing the saints at a Windy Hill Sunday morning barrel turn. Complete, arse licking turd.

When there was nowhere left to go, he went to the saints because he had burned every other bridge. Incompetent turd and just a s*** bloke. Ask anyone who's known him for more than 5 minutes.

Once the "good bloke" schtick wears off, he gets exposed for the two faced arse licker he really is.
Lol - classic.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.