The malignancy had 10 disposals!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: The malignancy had 10 disposals!

Hill needs to tackle and early last night he tried this a few times but he’s pure outside
In a 1 paced like ours we just don’t have the runners we need him to come good
I still think this shyte full structure/game plan hurts Hill I watched Long bomb away when Hill was wide for the give off.....not good to see
Jack Billings by now should be nailing gettable goals from 35 out direct in front from a so called top 3 draft pick ahead of Bont ....I think Hill bashing let’s him off a tad...

“Yeah….nah””
amusingname
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Mon 26 Apr 2021 7:45pm
B.M wrote: Mon 26 Apr 2021 5:43pm Why didn’t he have these issues at other clubs?

He had played 8 years of AFL footy before we picked him up

And he was a genuine gun at both clubs

At StK
No confidence and no impact
And he’s not fit
Has the Messiah Syndrom had an unintended consequence.

Did you notice at any stage in the game where a player should have fed him the ball but didn't?
Ben Long burnt him when they were running together off the back flank and opted for a long kick straight over the boundary instead.

The Billings Method
Club Player

Ben Long burns the entire side every time he plays. Another Elshaug special. What anyone sees in him is a mystery. A decent VFL player, nothing more.

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

amusingname wrote: Mon 26 Apr 2021 10:16pm
B.M wrote: Mon 26 Apr 2021 5:43pm Why didn’t he have these issues at other clubs?

At StK
And he’s not fit

Did you notice at any stage in the game where a player should have fed him the ball but didn't?
Ben Long burnt him when they were running together off the back flank and opted for a long kick straight over the boundary instead.
Any one watching that incident who understands football would know that you don't handball sideways when you are already running at pace

Long wasn't under pressure and didn't need to handball sideways to the coaches pet. This isn't under 12's where you dish off to a mate so he can get easy possessions to lift his confidence
Last edited by Scollop on Tue 27 Apr 2021 2:15am, edited 1 time in total.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The Billings Method wrote: Mon 26 Apr 2021 11:34pm Ben Long burns the entire side every time he plays. Another Elshaug special. What anyone sees in him is a mystery. A decent VFL player, nothing more.
bulldust

The Peanut
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Mon 26 Apr 2021 7:53pm Hill needs to tackle and early last night he tried this a few times but he’s pure outside
In a 1 paced like ours we just don’t have the runners we need him to come good
I still think this shyte full structure/game plan hurts Hill I watched Long bomb away when Hill was wide for the give off.....not good to see
Jack Billings by now should be nailing gettable goals from 35 out direct in front from a so called top 3 draft pick ahead of Bont ....I think Hill bashing let’s him off a tad...
THIS

amusingname
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Tue 27 Apr 2021 2:06am
amusingname wrote: Mon 26 Apr 2021 10:16pm

At StK
And he’s not fit

Any one watching that incident who understands football would know that you don't handball sideways when you are already running at pace

Long wasn't under pressure and didn't need to handball sideways to the coaches pet. This isn't under 12's where you dish off to a mate so he can get easy possessions to lift his confidence
When there is literally nothing ahead to kick to (hence the boundary kick), you can draw your opponent and handball to create more room, allowing your teammate space to run and bring the ball in to a more dangerous space. Long did the safe thing, but I presume/hope would be told to use the outside run when it’s there.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

There was a player about to put pressure on Long, when he kicked. Clearly he should have drawn him and hand balled to Hill, who would have drawn the next player and given it to Sinclair (I think it was?)

Pathetic footy by Long

Hill just looked at him like he was clueless/hopeless as the ball went out!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Most of the time Ben makes good decisions. People are just looking for negatives. No one’s perfect.

Ratten identified his strengths and encouraged Ben to play his natural attacking game. Most of the time he is very good and accurate by foot and his chains lead to scoring

How dare a young player make a mistake. None of the senior players in the team do, do they?

Let’s crucify him and ignore the mistakes of others. Pathetic!! Y’know what...

Seems to me that some forum posters have been driving an agenda here.

They can’t handle the fact that the coach has singled out Long and selected him to fill a role at half back.

Reeks of jealousy to me

The Billings Method
Club Player

Jealous of the preferential treatment Long has been afforded. Cronyism at its worst. Poor Ben is a VFL player at best, with a very influential surname, luckily for him.

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Bulldust.
Maybe TBM and B.M should re do the write up on the Saints page and change all the adjectives to suit their agenda.

https://www.saints.com.au/players/1408/ben-long

We have a player who has been instrumental when we have had good wins during his short AFL career. What we get is people venting and looking for a scapegoat now that we are losing

When you have a young player who provides spark and gives you highlights during his first half dozen games, you help nurture the talent and encourage him to play his natural game.

That’s what Ratten is doing. Unfortunately there are cliques that aren’t happy with that.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

However recently Ben has become a loose cannon. In discipline and defensive play. Possibly a little self indulgent right now. Hope he gets it together asap.

The Billings Method
Club Player

:roll:
Scollop wrote: Tue 27 Apr 2021 11:16pm Bulldust.
Maybe TBM and B.M should re do the write up on the Saints page and change all the adjectives to suit their agenda.

We have a player who has been instrumental when we have had good wins during his short AFL career. What we get is people venting and looking for a scapegoat now that we are losing

When you have a young player who provides spark and gives you highlights during his first half dozen games, you help nurture the talent and encourage him to play his natural game.

That’s what Ratten is doing. Unfortunately there are cliques that aren’t happy with that.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

The Billings Method
Club Player

:roll:
Scollop wrote: Tue 27 Apr 2021 11:16pm Bulldust.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Go on TBM. Rewrite the blurb for Long. Give us your version of what it should say. You’ve been disrespectful to Ben, so might as well also be disrespectful to the Saints media guys

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I’d like him to play better... I wish he was a gun, good at least!

The non - handball to Hill was being discussed

It was a horrendous bit of play, we had an outnumber in the midfield- and he kicked?? Out of bounds to the advantage of the Port player???

It would have been highlighted in the review... stuff like that stops people working hard to run-to-receive if they get ignored!!!

It was ordinary- as was his 50m penalty

He’s been dropped this year already due to his poor form
He hasn’t played a good game this season

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 27 Apr 2021 11:44pm I’d like him to play better... I wish he was a gun, good at least!

The non - handball to Hill was being discussed

It was a horrendous bit of play, we had an outnumber in the midfield- and he kicked?? Out of bounds to the advantage of the Port player???

It would have been highlighted in the review... stuff like that stops people working hard to run-to-receive if they get ignored!!!

It was ordinary- as was his 50m penalty

He’s been dropped this year already due to his poor form
He hasn’t played a good game this season
yeah...more bs

Plenty of Saints players suffering poor form atm, so he's not alone there.

Long was easily top ten best on ground for us Round 1 vs GWS

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=102136&p=1892010&hi ... s#p1892280

The Sainter of the round Vs Port also had a horrendous kick. No one is highlighting his mistake (but if that's what you want to do...check out Seb's last kick of the day inside 50)

The point again is NOT to be a Cho. Don't ONLY highlight the negatives

The Billings Method
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Tue 27 Apr 2021 2:11am
The Billings Method wrote: Mon 26 Apr 2021 11:34pm Ben Long burns the entire side every time he plays. Another Elshaug special. What anyone sees in him is a mystery. A decent VFL player, nothing more.
bulldust
That's the way. Stick up for your brother. He's s***. Just admit it and park your bias and racial privilege.

<1 week ban for inflammatory racist commentary>

roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

Scollop wrote: Tue 27 Apr 2021 10:27pm Most of the time Ben makes good decisions. People are just looking for negatives. No one’s perfect.

Ratten identified his strengths and encouraged Ben to play his natural attacking game. Most of the time he is very good and accurate by foot and his chains lead to scoring

How dare a young player make a mistake. None of the senior players in the team do, do they?

Let’s crucify him and ignore the mistakes of others. Pathetic!! Y’know what...

Seems to me that some forum posters have been driving an agenda here.

They can’t handle the fact that the coach has singled out Long and selected him to fill a role at half back.

Reeks of jealousy to me
I'd like to point out in the incident with HIll on the wing that Hill wasn't in much of a better position. Also it's not like HIll's brilliance is demanding he be given the ball at the moment. As another commenter on the day pointed out he'd butchered one out on the full from a similar position before the Hill/Long thing.

Also I can't stand the way Hill reacted to not getting the ball. Hands on hips and a big shake of his head to let everyone know how upset he was he didn't get the ball when a younger player took the game on. Even if you're upset you don't do that to a younger player IMO you get on with the job.

I saw Cristiano Ronaldo do that recently for Juventus when a younger player took the shot instead of passing to him when he was basically in a similar position without much more advantage than the young player. It makes my blood boil and older, experienced players should know that you deal with that during the week not by sooking on the park.

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The Billings Method wrote: Wed 28 Apr 2021 6:39am
Scollop wrote: Tue 27 Apr 2021 2:11am
bulldust
That's the way. Stick up for your brother. He's s***. Just admit it and park your bias and racial privilege.
St Kilda supporters are s***. Not a bloke who tries his hardest for the jumper.

Some of you blokes want to praise Hannas (who can’t get on the park) and Hill (who wants only bruise free footy) and hang it on our young blokes.

The incident that you’re all whinging about happened deep into the 3rd quarter. The score line read Port 11 -8 to St Kilda 3 - 6. Where is your perspective? That’s why you’re complaining... about a missed kick. We were faahcken 50 points down.

Just because Dermot thought that Long ‘had’ to give it off does not make it the correct call. I disagree. I’ve watched the replay again this morning and it was just poor execution but he had every right to kick it to Higgins who was 1-2 metres ahead of his opponent and running towards our goal.

You’re also hanging it on the coach who has to work with the hand that has been dealt. And...Fuuuck Off TBM ..you racist arsewipe...who ever mentioned anything about what nationality or what colour anyone was. f***wit!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

‘racial privilege’

Good one <edit by mods>

I see you’ve changed a few nics over the years. What’s your next reincarnation? Gunna call yourself Hansen or Bolt?

amusingname
Club Player

Sorry, as the poster who mentioned that play and then was quoted and told that I didn't understand footy because you don't handball to someone running next to you, I feel like I should clarify that I like Ben Long as a player, also I like Brad Hill. I think both can do better than what they are now, and this play was an example of team mates not using the outside run of Brad Hill when it is there and a better option than a down the line kick. Not a slam on Ben and I have no idea if Brad didn't let him know that he was there or Higgins seemed clearer than he was, but used as an example of it seeming Brad could have been used and wasn't.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Sun 25 Apr 2021 11:55pm
carn_sainter wrote: Sun 25 Apr 2021 11:52pm Anyone who really thinks one player is the problem is seriously deluded. Talk about missing the point!

If that were the case it only highlights more the fragility of the group as a whole and the system as a whole. Systems and organisations are supposed to be robust enough to handle one or two parts not performing well.

Even Tony Lockett at full forward would struggle to have an impact and make this a winning club at the moment. Even Lenny Hayes at centre bounces could do only so much.
He's the highest paid player, he is woeful and is undroppable, what affect does that have on team morale.

Let alone the 2nd highest paid player is a permanent spectator. We are a joke.
The rest don't deserve a cent more with the exception of Steele.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Seb had a bad kick??

Well he got 19 not all of them coming from clearance are going to be perfect

Long had 3 kicks, and one was baffling

Long comes off the HB line where kicking is at its easiest, under no pressure, he made a hideous decision. Wasn’t even just a skill error, it was lack of game sense.

There’s two parts to using the footy
Decision making and execution

He got both wrong

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 28 Apr 2021 10:47pm Seb had a bad kick??

Well he got 19 not all of them coming from clearance are going to be perfect
What if the kick that I specifically mentioned from Seb wasn’t a kick out of clearance?

What if it was a critical kick inside 50 and it was a kick where Seb had no pressure?

What if that kick which did occur in the dying seconds of the match was more of an issue for St Kilda (than the form of a young player) because it’s one of the fundamental reasons our i50 conversion is the worse in the AFL?

What if I made up stuff about some player and said he didn’t have a good kick all night?

What if I said most of Sebs kicks have been loopy 30 m kicks that don’t advantage his team?

What if the fans encourage and support ALL our players who had a bad night?

What if the club AND the football managers focus on making sure we don’t stuff up with the younger players and take a leaf out of the clubs that have better development programs?