Ratts needs better support

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ratts needs better support

Unlike the previous coach I think Ratten can coach but needs better help.
Read with interest a Richmond supporters honest view on how their club fared after moving the likes of Lade ( our mid coach) on and he was emphatic Hardwick improved out of sight when he brought in quality support to his cos hung panel.
Ross Lyon (yes yes I know lots hate him blah blah blah but he knows his shyte as backed by ALL senior players and those in AFL circles) suggested yesterday that if he was approached for Pies job he’d want certain assistant coaches because the soft cap has been reduced and now more than ever gun assistant coaches have to work harder and smarter. I actually think Buckley needs to reinvigorate his coaching box too ....and no I don’t want Rob Harvey back as a sentimental favourite.
Hamil has to be moved on - he’s had forwards now hit backs and tbh hasn’t set the world on fire and been there long enough. Lade too.
Time to be bold - go hard for a Leppitsch even sound Lyon out for a Choco type opportunity ....if Buckley got the sack I’d look at him too as I think he can coach
Point is we need to keep evolving and improving - Ratten came in and largely left what was there untouched but I think next season it’s clear he needs to move
It’s unthinkable to hear at a recent presser when explaining our 3rd belting this season that we are “still adjusting to rule changes” the man the mark rule has regenerated the lead up forward option but I think our coaching group are asleep at the wheel.
I was even more concerned after Port loss to hear Ratts bemoan their uncontested style as ugly footy.....they’ll be there deep in finals....we won’t.
If Ratts can evolve like the good coaches do time to up the ante and surround him with quality support.
Honeymoon is over we have to get ruthless on and off field for a genuine flag tilt and can’t afford to stay in mediocre team land much longer.

“Yeah….nah””
asiu
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ratts needs better support

thats a very interesting post Tef

the fullness of time might show it to be prophetic even

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
seano1
Club Player

Good post and agree with you on Hamil , it’s great that he loves the Saints but time for an upgrade .
I’m 64 only saw 66 on replays my son and now grandson curse me for the ride I’ve put them on , it’s time this club has got to really seriously put a long term plan together and stick to it ......we need solid investment in youth in our seconds /sandy , stop trying to buy a grannie . Your correct i would be looking at assistant coaches in other successful teams and grab them and lyon as a behind the scenes man giving solid advice to Ratts

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn’t go near Lyon. The new rules have made his one trick obsolete and we know he has no Plan B.

But if there’s support staff out there that Ratts/Lethlean think can add to the club, then hopefully they’ll be considered.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Wed 05 May 2021 11:05am I wouldn’t go near Lyon. The new rules have made his one trick obsolete and we know he has no Plan B.

But if there’s support staff out there that Ratts/Lethlean think can add to the club, then hopefully they’ll be considered.
The Tosser Flosser? You would have to b f****** kidding. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Good post Teflon. Yeah I agree the poorer clubs like ours have to be very creative and progressive over the next 5 years or so as the cost reductions bite in. At the start of this season only some 6 weeks ago I thought our list had depth even with the reduced list sizes and our coaches had something to work with, however upon reflection since our disastrous start I think we are very vulnerable with regards to depth and developing players. Even Buckley is complaining about how the cost reductions have negatively impacted his coaching department and that is from one of the richest clubs in the land.

An now our cap is fully squeezed after bringing in all of the high paid imports of the past few seasons one wonders how much money is in the bank for footy department resources.

It feels like things are delicately balanced at the club and that the wheels could fall off quickly if this current list doesn't become a sustainable finals side.

older saint
SS Life Member

I think the concept is great so with the key being the person has desire to be a head coach again ( at least in the immediate future) to stop possible white anting .

Williams has been great at Melbourne , - Ayres, Lyon, Worsfold, are coaches without even thinking . Not necessarily thes epeople , before people start telling me all their issues, but the concept.

Darth Vader
Club Player

Apparently that Kingsley guy at Richmond is highly rated. We should try and get him.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I tend to agree Hamill, Lade, Skrobalak have been at the club for a considerable period. It is about time the club looks at bringing in some fresh ideas to support Rattens and the teams development. 

Aaron Hamill Assistant Coach (Backline and Team Defence)
Brendon Lade Assistant Coach (Forward line and Team Offence)
Adam Skrobalak Assistant Coach (Midfield and Contest)
Ben McGlynn Assistant Coach
Jake Batchelor Development Coach and Sandringham Senior Coach
Jarryd Roughead Football Operations

How Danny Sexton still finds himself employed is the million dollar question?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Is Billy Slater still at the club?

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

No Billy is not there anymore.
As for the coaches roles take their description as lip service ( does Sincs play at half back flanker)

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Good thread. Great post Teflon and I couldn't agree more.

Lyon in a supporting role would be interesting. He had done many years as an assistant before getting a main gig. It all depends if he can buy in to Ratten's plan and way of thinking and can separate himself from the senior coaching job itself.

Leppitch would be a great get as an assistant on any line.

Buckley would be ideal IMO. There is no doubt in my mind he can coach extremely well. As an assistant, after his past couple of years he could be almost set free. That could be gold.

Brett Voss will probably miss out on another senior chance.

I really wouldn't discount Harvey. Chances are he will be available after this season regardless of what happens at the filth.

However it is probably three quarters of a million in assistant coaches right there. Probably more.

Aaron Hamill - He's been there too long in too many roles. Dedicated clubman.
Brendon Lade - Came in with the initial Richo assistant boost. At least another year you would think.
Adam Skrobalak - He is highly rated internally, but that means absolutely nothing. I'd call time on it.
Ben McGlynn - Third year. Honestly unknown.
Jake Batchelor - Fifth? Year
Jarryd Roughead - I rate him with the younger guys. Definitely think he has value moving forward.
Danny Sexton - How long do you get in any role where you are trying to win a premiership but DONT win a premiership?

Looking at that, it needs change immediately.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Wed 05 May 2021 5:29pm No Billy is not there anymore.
As for the coaches roles take their description as lip service ( does Sincs play at half back flanker)
Thanks Tony
I’m not fussed about their titles it’s time to refresh
Just read Leigh Matthews say this exact thing about Collingwood after 10 years Buckley...the only thing quickly to get fresh ideas in that clubs can look at us coaching panel
I think Ratten can succeed but he needs to get fresh ideas in - he’s not strong defensively and wasn’t at Carlton. I’m a big believer in know your weaknesses recruit to strengthen them.....any muppet suggesting Ross Lyon in a Choco role wouldn’t add value and a bit of mongrel to help Ratts is a fossil or moron
Actually all good CEOs (Ratts) who want to be liked need a good attack dog....Id have Lyon also keeping my assistants on their toes AS LONG as he agrees he won’t ever again be the senior coach. What you don’t want is what Grant Thomas did at North (and why he got the arse) when he hit in the box and started white anting the coach....
skrobal?
Hamill
Lade
Sexton
Gawn for mine
We also apparently hired some new strategy genius?? Gawn
Look at Port with Voss?
Melb with Choco
Blues trying to get Worsefold
Knights Geelong

Imagine if we had a few gun assistants like Leppitsch (rated) backed up by Lyon???
Who else is highly rated at other clubs??? Steal them
Go hard after Merrett
Trade Billings use other picks in draft and ffs find done diamonds in the rough for a change !

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote: Wed 05 May 2021 9:22pm Good thread. Great post Teflon and I couldn't agree more.

Lyon in a supporting role would be interesting. He had done many years as an assistant before getting a main gig. It all depends if he can buy in to Ratten's plan and way of thinking and can separate himself from the senior coaching job itself.

Leppitch would be a great get as an assistant on any line.

Buckley would be ideal IMO. There is no doubt in my mind he can coach extremely well. As an assistant, after his past couple of years he could be almost set free. That could be gold.

Brett Voss will probably miss out on another senior chance.

I really wouldn't discount Harvey. Chances are he will be available after this season regardless of what happens at the filth.

However it is probably three quarters of a million in assistant coaches right there. Probably more.

Aaron Hamill - He's been there too long in too many roles. Dedicated clubman.
Brendon Lade - Came in with the initial Richo assistant boost. At least another year you would think.
Adam Skrobalak - He is highly rated internally, but that means absolutely nothing. I'd call time on it.
Ben McGlynn - Third year. Honestly unknown.
Jake Batchelor - Fifth? Year
Jarryd Roughead - I rate him with the younger guys. Definitely think he has value moving forward.
Danny Sexton - How long do you get in any role where you are trying to win a premiership but DONT win a premiership?

Looking at that, it needs change immediately.
Actually if you couldn’t get Lyon I’d definitely have a massive crack at Buckley I too think he can coach...used to enjoy his commentary actually learnt something from him at times (unlike Brereton who just spewed old stories which always lead to how tough he was..)
I also think with time Buckley, like Ratten, has become better adjusted as a coach ....he’s a bit more zen like nowadays....go get him
Harvs just not sold on...,.you need to be able to articulate internal and external....sadly I just don’t think he can..,
I hear good things about Sam Mitchell ...,,it’s that type ....good footy brains...,

“Yeah….nah””
bigred
Saintsational Legend

It needs to happen.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

In my humble opinion the best strategical coach out there is a midfielder who was a bit of a scapegoat in our nearly golden years

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

And don’t think we haven’t tried to get him.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Wed 05 May 2021 10:32pm In my humble opinion the best strategical coach out there is a midfielder who was a bit of a scapegoat in our nearly golden years
Is he the same midfielder I read is happy on a farm now in NSW??

“Yeah….nah””
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Wed 05 May 2021 10:32pm In my humble opinion the best strategical coach out there is a midfielder who was a bit of a scapegoat in our nearly golden years
McQualter?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Clinton Jones!

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Which nearly golden years is he talking about?

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

From us?
Like the reconstruction of Ross Lyon: no longer a self serving, greedy, stubborn, proven big game failure egotist ; now could be a selfless quiet supporter of Bret to help him succeed where he failed. I can see that.
Lets assume it doesn't take time to develop relationships and roles, symbiosis and understanding of players and that the current team didn't manage to get a rabble into a slick outfit that made finals after years in the wilderness, or that losing several key players to injury impacts performance and that it takes a while to integrate new players. Then lets sack them and see what happens, what could go wrong. Clearly it would have been helpful if Roughy had not broken Paton's leg however.....

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I would say luke ball

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 06 May 2021 9:08am From us?
Like the reconstruction of Ross Lyon: no longer a self serving, greedy, stubborn, proven big game failure egotist ; now could be a selfless quiet supporter of Bret to help him succeed where he failed. I can see that.
Lets assume it doesn't take time to develop relationships and roles, symbiosis and understanding of players and that the current team didn't manage to get a rabble into a slick outfit that made finals after years in the wilderness, or that losing several key players to injury impacts performance and that it takes a while to integrate new players. Then lets sack them and see what happens, what could go wrong. Clearly it would have been helpful if Roughy had not broken Paton's leg however.....
I will stick with your original discription. Nothing has changed AFAIC

Talking about Roughy.... Does the positives of his coaching outweight the fact that he broke Patons leg?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote: Wed 05 May 2021 10:59pm
McQualter?
I want to say that I’ve heard that he’s quite well rated as a coach