From the tackle

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

From the tackle

Heraldsun.com.au

The FF's take on the saints in round 8.

7. WHEN WILL MASON WOOD GRAB HIS OPPORTUNITY?

It’s his first season at St Kilda and his eighth in the AFL and still we ask: Is he a good footballer?

On Saturday against the Suns, he came in for his second full game of the season, which suggests the Saints want him in the team long-term.

That encouragement was not rewarded.

He had five disposals in a touch over half of game time. He is 27, he came to the Saints as a pre-season pick, so every game he plays must be with the mentality that he’s playing for his career. He’s running out of chances.
Mason Wood is playing for his career. Picture: Michael Klein
Mason Wood is playing for his career. Picture: Michael Klein

8. THE FAILING SUNS

The clear brand is to maintain the ball — chip, mark, chip, mark, low in pressure, high in marks. Is that formula that wins finals? Because it’s not winning them enough home-and-away games.

Last year, the Suns were more frenetic — low disposals, get the ball forward, chaos and bring the pressure.

It’s a big turnaround this season. It’s working somewhat, but still can’t win big games.

They would be gutted they lost to the Saints. They led by 16 points late in the third quarter and lost by nine points, succumbing to St Kilda’s pressure — the Saints scored 22 points off turnover in the final term — and St Kilda’s marking strength.

8. TIM MEMBREY’S FINAL QUARTER

Leigh Matthews often laments how coaches are hamstrung on game day from making matchwinning moves.

St Kilda’s Brett Ratten did exactly that against the Suns on Saturday.

Membrey didn’t see the ball in the first three quarters in his customary forward role, so Ratten, needing to do something to salvage the win, sent Membrey behind the ball. In the final quarter, Membrey took five makes, four of them in the defensive half. Maybe it was a desperate move, but Ratten made something happen.

The Saints overwhelmed the Suns in the air, led by Membrey, Rowan Marshall and Patrick Ryder, and won a critical game."

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: From the tackle

Loving the Skunk's leadership this year

He steps up when required. His effort and work rate is role model material. Ratts and Roughy have been good mentors.

Funny how Cho was lamenting the lack of leaders when they decided to recruit Hannas...

The personnel was right there under his nose.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Members has become such a well rounded player now. Previously it was lead/mark, kick. Now he not only hits the wings but often, deeper than that. Funnily enough - it actually feels like he's playing a semi-swingman role that I thought Battle might play this year

Go you red, black & white warriors
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Funny that no one mentioned Membrey's starring role in our last quarter comeback until the fat f***'s article.
Last edited by saynta on Tue 11 May 2021 10:28am, edited 1 time in total.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

He's been going back towards the end of quarters for a few years now. I remember he was on the goal line against Port in 2017 and nearly touched that nightmare Robby Grey goal.

He's a very good leader.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Mon 10 May 2021 4:27pm Loving the Skunk's leadership this year

He steps up when required. His effort and work rate is role model material. Ratts and Roughy have been good mentors.

Funny how Cho was lamenting the lack of leaders when they decided to recruit Hannas...

You certainly have a bad case of chomalignitis. Members was sitting in on leadership group discussions in 2018, and formally appointed in the group for 2019, all under Richo of course. Has shown good leadership traits since 2016, winning the goalkicking 4 times, with his leadership qualities recognised by Richo and carried on by Ratts.

It must be concerning to you by playing Membrey back on occasions, Ratts is continuing a practice started by Richo, where Membrey was quite often sent back at times. Can't be right. Maybe Richo, for all his failures, got a few things right?

Feel free to continue your obsession, but at least don't twist the facts.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

[quote=saynta post_id=1900914 time=1620625142 user_id=126]
Funny that no one mentioned Menbrey's starring role in our last quarter comeback until the fat f***'s article.
[/quote]

Fat ducks assessment is way off. He referred to it as a match winning or game changing move. Membrey did little to nothing in the first half of the last quarter and only went back and got involved once we had the lead

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Mon 10 May 2021 8:25pm

You certainly have a bad case of chomalignitis. Members was sitting in on leadership group discussions in 2018, and formally appointed in the group for 2019, all under Richo of course. Has shown good leadership traits since 2016, winning the goalkicking 4 times, with his leadership qualities recognised by Richo and carried on by Ratts.

It must be concerning to you by playing Membrey back on occasions, Ratts is continuing a practice started by Richo, where Membrey was quite often sent back at times. Can't be right. Maybe Richo, for all his failures, got a few things right?

chomalignitis??

Bile related right? I think you meant cholangitis.

I hated some of his decisions and some of his words, not the man. I agree that Cho did some things right. He wasn't Mark Neeld.

I didn't mention anything about where Skunk plays so who's twisting facts here? The facts are ...that many fans hated the language used in 2018 regarding 'lack of leaders'.

When you don't have faith in your players it creates doubt in their minds and his job was to instill confidence

Facts are ...when things fell apart the club tainted the playing group (because obviously they weren't going to say they got it wrong regarding the coach contract extension)

I hated the fact that Cho was weak and also sung the company line and didn't back his charges.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Is that the same as halitosis?

Disgusting infliction.

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Tue 11 May 2021 1:07am

chomalignitis??

I hated some of his decisions and some of his words, not the man. I agree that Cho did some things right. He wasn't Mark Neeld.

I didn't mention anything about where Skunk plays so who's twisting facts here? The facts are ...that many fans hated the language used in 2018 regarding 'lack of leaders'.

When you don't have faith in your players it creates doubt in their minds and his job was to instill confidence

Facts are ...when things fell apart the club tainted the playing group (because obviously they weren't going to say they got it wrong regarding the coach contract extension)

I hated the fact that Cho was weak and also sung the company line and didn't back his charges.
No, I meant as stated, chomalignitus. You surely didn't try to look it up did you? Might be in the tabloid supporter's guide I guess.

It is a condition where supporters take a very simplistic view of current successes/failures at the club and consistently relate them solely back to Richo in a negative fashion, ignoring all other factors involved. Fortunately it is a condition which wanes over time, hopefully.

Twisting facts - you stated Richo ignored the personnel under his nose re leadership, ie Members. As pointed out in my post, Members WAS recognised under Richo. Facts wrong.

As for the last two lines of your post, "Facts are ..." - certainly not facts, but your opinion, tainted by chomalignitus.

I agree Richo seems better in a supportive role rather than head coach, but all negatives don't lead to Richo.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Tue 11 May 2021 10:23am
Scollop wrote: Tue 11 May 2021 1:07am

chomalignitis??

No, I meant as stated, chomalignitus. You surely didn't try to look it up did you? Might be in the tabloid supporter's guide I guess.

It is a condition where supporters take a very simplistic view of current successes/failures at the club and consistently relate them solely back to Richo in a negative fashion, ignoring all other factors involved. Fortunately it is a condition which wanes over time, hopefully.

Twisting facts - you stated Richo ignored the personnel under his nose re leadership, ie Members. As pointed out in my post, Members WAS recognised under Richo. Facts wrong.

As for the last two lines of your post, "Facts are ..." - certainly not facts, but your opinion, tainted by chomalignitus.

I agree Richo seems better in a supportive role rather than head coach, but all negatives don't lead to Richo.
You're very creative...Not an author of fiction are you?

I think some of your writing tops the rubbish we heard from the club in 2018

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

The thing I liked about Richo was he was all class, he maintained his professionalism at all times and was one of the few coaches not to leave the club in a controversial or scandalous scenario. Now I know in the past any suggestion of Richo leaving a positive legacy was not well accepted by those that disliked him however the fair minded supporters surely must accept Ratts was passed a clean baton which allowed Ratts to hit the ground running.

That alone is something I respect Richo for.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 12 May 2021 8:09am The thing I liked about Richo was he was all class, he maintained his professionalism at all times and was one of the few coaches not to leave the club in a controversial or scandalous scenario. Now I know in the past any suggestion of Richo leaving a positive legacy was not well accepted by those that disliked him however the fair minded supporters surely must accept Ratts was passed a clean baton which allowed Ratts to hit the ground running.

Imagine the thoughts Richo would have had to keep at bay once he knew Ratts was coming as his ‘assistant’.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 12 May 2021 12:29pm
Vortex wrote: Wed 12 May 2021 8:09am The thing I liked about Richo was he was all class, he maintained his professionalism at all times and was one of the few coaches not to leave the club in a controversial or scandalous scenario. Now I know in the past any suggestion of Richo leaving a positive legacy was not well accepted by those that disliked him however the fair minded supporters surely must accept Ratts was passed a clean baton which allowed Ratts to hit the ground running.

Imagine the thoughts Richo would have had to keep at bay once he knew Ratts was coming as his ‘assistant’.
Yeah I remember thinking similar things, from what I understand they are good friends so what came first, the idea to transition Ratts in and Richo was on board with the possibility or was it a thought that never cross Richo's mind? Didn't Richo bring him across or was it Lethers?

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

8. TIM MEMBREY’S FINAL QUARTER

Leigh Matthews often laments how coaches are hamstrung on game day from making matchwinning moves.

St Kilda’s Brett Ratten did exactly that against the Suns on Saturday.

Membrey didn’t see the ball in the first three quarters in his customary forward role, so Ratten, needing to do something to salvage the win, sent Membrey behind the ball. In the final quarter, Membrey took five makes, four of them in the defensive half. Maybe it was a desperate move, but Ratten made something happen.

I find the above comment interesting.

Membrey going back to protect a lead is not new.
About 3 minutes before Membrey went ‘back’ my son said when does Membrey go to defense so we kept an eye on it as it is not unusual and he did so without being prompted by a runner, water carrier or board message.

My guess (pure guess) is Ratten has agreed to this plan backs Membrey as a leader to make the call as required in a player driven move.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Unlike the dwarf.

“I don't shy away from that”

Reminds me of a hypocrite we both know.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Scollop v Takeaway. :lol:

Clash of the ages.

Foodie debating masterclass!

:D

Only on Saintsaitional and only St Kilda.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

The Club under Alan R's coaching had one of its bleaker if not bleakest eras spirit and pride wise. Not just because of the lack of talent on the list, poor decision making and inept recruitment. There was no direction, nothing to look forward to. Alan was so impossibly bland and had little empathy with players and supporters. Goodwin would not see him as a challenge, just a competent administrator that knows where the witches hats need to be placed for training and can look after the tedious jobs. If Richo left anything positive it would have been incidental, like the draft picks for finishing consistently low. Was Jack Stevens situation salvageable? should he have been let go when he first asked as he saw no performance upside under Alan, hindsight suggests probably, but Richo seems unable to think through complexity, nuance and sense opportunity. Perhaps Geary having experienced Lyon, Watters, Richardson and Ratten will make an excellent coach when the time comes. What doesn't kill you.....