Piss Ben Long off

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Piss Ben Long off

f***** pathetic. One kick, one turnover. We played one short with this suburban footballer. St Kilda lost it. Geelong didn't win it!!!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Piss Ben Long off

Just can't understand why Luke Dunstan is behind Ben Long.....and a few others

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

I feel for Ben, he's been the sub for an eternity and comes on halfway through the game and has to switch on immediately and you could tell he was trying to rev up his intensify but he looked like he had that nervous energy when you are over trying because you are insecure about your spot on the list.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

He was woeful. Marshall going off and Long coming on was exchanging a really good AFL footballer for a very average one. That turnover in the centre was a killer. We need to look past him, like the selection panel are now looking past Carlisle for some reason.

1965 Saint
Club Player

Long should be simply retained as a ‘take out weapon’ for key games. It appears to me that is all he is good for. Just have to choose the important games so the suspensions don’t interfere with the programme.😀

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

I have been a Ben Long fan & have flown the flag for him but had a chance tonight to really put his name up there but nah another wasted draft pick

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 14 May 2021 11:35pm I feel for Ben, he's been the sub for an eternity and comes on halfway through the game and has to switch on immediately and you could tell he was trying to rev up his intensify but he looked like he had that nervous energy when you are over trying because you are insecure about your spot on the list.
100% agree

Also struggling without a clear position and role

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Were Ben and Luke both pick 8s? Seems such a waste for whatever reasons. Perhaps neither worked enough on their weaknesses when there was still goodwill around them. Ben possibly spent whatever he had left tonight. Luke may get a chance if Crouch has a broken face.

If it was not already difficult for those two, Lonie will get more games if only for that act of bravery tonight, and despite being a smart arse critic of Jack I would not begrudge him that after his effort. Both Luke and Ben might be playing for North next season.

I so hope Coffield is not on the same downward trajectory. Perhaps he could be rehabilitated as a forward, he can kick straight.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Let's find a few individual scapegoats for why the team lost

Good thread

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Yorkeys wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 1:27am Were Ben and Luke both pick 8s? Seems such a waste for whatever reasons. Perhaps neither worked enough on their weaknesses when there was still goodwill around them. Ben possibly spent whatever he had left tonight. Luke may get a chance if Crouch has a broken face.

If it was not already difficult for those two, Lonie will get more games if only for that act of bravery tonight, and despite being a smart arse critic of Jack I would not begrudge him that after his effort. Both Luke and Ben might be playing for North next season.

I so hope Coffield is not on the same downward trajectory. Perhaps he could be rehabilitated as a forward, he can kick straight.
Lonie was brave & probably should have got a free but had no real impact nor did Higgins & Butler was ok but IMO we cant have 3 small forwards not impacting on the sore board 1 goal between 3 & the ball was in our forward line a lot ?

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Agree bangaualegend. It seems to me we only have two genuine forwards, Max and 50% of Butler plus 50% of Higgins. Our forward line and craft is rubbish. Footy department bosses might have noticed if they were watching last night and any other week and factor that into recruitment - although can you ever have too many half back types. I am starting to think Membrey, as good a player as he is, is not a natural forward and could be great in the middle or half back. I just think as cold consolation for this awful season Lonie's courage could be rewarded as a sign that's what is needed. Not the silly stuff Ben comes up with.

spert
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 1:47am
Yorkeys wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 1:27am Were Ben and Luke both pick 8s? Seems such a waste for whatever reasons. Perhaps neither worked enough on their weaknesses when there was still goodwill around them. Ben possibly spent whatever he had left tonight. Luke may get a chance if Crouch has a broken face.

Lonie was brave & probably should have got a free but had no real impact nor did Higgins & Butler was ok but IMO we cant have 3 small forwards not impacting on the sore board 1 goal between 3 & the ball was in our forward line a lot ?
The lack of input from our small forwards is a big problem this season- they all look a bit lost and don't seem to play to any system.

The Recruit
Club Player

All our new guys will need time to gel, better to have too many small forwards than not enough, we will get the mix right.
Long is talented and should be given time.

We can’t delist them all we are already playing 5 short.
Let’s try to avoid the hysteria, we beat the cats last night and thais a massive step forward for our young guys. We made their midfield look second rate.

The Recruit
Club Player

All our new guys will need time to gel, better to have too many small forwards than not enough, we will get the mix right.
Long is talented and should be given time.

We can’t delist them all we are already playing 5 short.
Let’s try to avoid the hysteria, we beat the cats last night and thais a massive step forward for our young guys. We made their midfield look second rate.

older saint
SS Life Member

I get the feeling Ben Long is to Ratten what Newness was to Richo, sees something many others don't and struggles to look past whatever that is .

B.M
Saintsational Legend

If that was the case, he wouldn’t get dropped or be the sub all the time.

Paton fit

Long is clearly out of the picture as a HB

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

I’m yet to be convinced that Long is a bust.

Don’t ask me what his best position is, but there is still a quality footballer there somewhere.

I’m is against him though...

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

At his best he is aggressive and hard working, at his worst he is an undisciplined hot head. He's a B grader at best. I still cringe that we took him ahead of Shai Bolton. If he can't get a gig at half back, then there's no position for him. Coffield is another who is lacking certain qualities. Both need to get focussed in what's required of them

B.M
Saintsational Legend

What’s worse is Bolton was predicted to come to us, if he was still there at pick 25, but the feeling was he could be gone.

He was still there, and we chose a 19yo from 7 VFL games who was overlooked in his draft year

ace
Saintsational Legend

You don't just piss someone off because they are sub standard.
You need someone at least sub standard to replace them.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 7:40pm What’s worse is Bolton was predicted to come to us, if he was still there at pick 25, but the feeling was he could be gone.

He was still there, and we chose a 19yo from 7 VFL games who was overlooked in his draft year
Yes but Bolton's name was not Rioli, Long or even Winmar.
If only another club had taken him.
Essendon had pick 22 but took Jordan Ridley.
How could Dildo do that.
Not even indigenous let alone a famous indigenous name.

Too often St Kilda's selections are based on ignoring the gold nugget wishing and hoping to find a rare diamond instead.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Saintly66
Club Player

older saint wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 6:19pm I get the feeling Ben Long is to Ratten what Newness was to Richo, sees something many others don't and struggles to look past whatever that is .
Newnes was/is a gossip to the point if you farted most of the players would know.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

VFL footballer at best.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

cwrcyn wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 7:08pm At his best he is aggressive and hard working, at his worst he is an undisciplined hot head. He's a B grader at best. I still cringe that we took him ahead of Shai Bolton. If he can't get a gig at half back, then there's no position for him. Coffield is another who is lacking certain qualities. Both need to get focussed in what's required of them
This is what i think people see in long. His aggression.
The trouble is his aggression is undisciplined They can't be exclusive.
Yes he works hard also, but what I see is running to ineffective areas.
Sorry not a fan of his and can't afford him in big game finals.
To me Geary is the logical replacement assuming he hasn't lost any of the afl game level fitness and speed required.
Can play both ends, and pinch hit as a stopper in the middle.
But it does highlight how much we need to improve the quality of the playing list across the board.

Seeya
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

sunsaint wrote: Sun 16 May 2021 1:44am But it does highlight how much we need to improve the quality of the playing list across the board.
Improving our playing list = improving our recruiting/recruiters = dumping and replacing dud recruiters with quality recruiters (by identifying and poaching the best recruiters out there).
We continually overlook talented players and pick ordinary players ahead of them - our recruiters are clearly to blame.