Nathan Freeman

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Re: Nathan Freeman

No.

Just.

No.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Another 40 plus game for Freeman. Can't ignore those numbers.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Mon 17 May 2021 8:28am Another 40 plus game for Freeman. Can't ignore those numbers.
Imagine him and Dunstan at Sandy. They just might make the finals.

spert
Saintsational Legend

For me anyway, midfielders/ onballers who have the ball are more useful than players who don't have the ball.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 17 May 2021 8:54am
CURLY wrote: Mon 17 May 2021 8:28am Another 40 plus game for Freeman. Can't ignore those numbers.
Imagine him and Dunstan at Sandy. They just might make the finals.
The problem here is we have people making assessments who don't understand the game and base opinion on pure numbers.

The frightening thing about this is I am genuinely concerned our recruiters may be dumb enough to throw Freeman an opportunity, though I do feel any interest is made up forum bulls***.

I did watch the first 1/4 of the Frankston V Bombers match and this was my take on Freeman's first 1/4.
Will watch the replay at some stage.

Disposals 15
Yes 15 in a quarter is getting your hands on the ball, great effort!
He played mid and was at all centre bounces bar one.
Freeman's role appeared to be at the back of the stoppage and was the go to with the handball out, after the stoppage he seemed to roam between the centre and half back largely unopposed.
Got his hands to a few clearances and his hands in close were very tidy.

Of his first 1/4 disposals.
- 8 Handballs (3 were clangers) was pretty good in close however one possession on half back he had the opportunity to burst away from the back of a stoppage and switch play but didn't back his pace while being pursued and hand-balled back over his head to a contest which ended in another stoppage.

- 6 kicks (4 clangers/ turnovers) and not a kick more than 35 meters.Was quite poor by foot.
A telling possession was a handball receive from half back where he had the opportunity to run and deliver into the forward 50 but took a short 20mt option in the centre and turned it over resulting in an Essendon goal. This kick was his 3rd turnover in a row. He did not attempt to go more than 35mt on any kick and scrubbed or turned it over 3-4 times when not under any significant pressure.

Based on a small sample size Freeman was unopposed and accumulating possessions almost at will but showed no AFL quality such as pace, poise or elite disposal.

This is only the 2nd time I have seen him this season and will watch the balance of the game.

BIG NO for me on albeit on very small sample size, Freeman is a mid paced accumulator and well behind Crouch, Steele, Bytel, Dunstan etc in that role.

Then there is his durability, to string together games at VFL level does not make you AFL capable, the level is miles apart. Dunstan dominates VFL yet looks out of his depth this year at AFL level. Even Hannebery could probably play consistently at VFL level where he does not have to extend himself.

Freeman had 6 seasons on AFL lists and couldn't make it or get his body right.

Unfortunately for some who do not understand the game, you cannot base opinion or recruitment on possession numbers alone.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The Oracle has spoken. Sorry Nathan.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Mon 17 May 2021 10:47am The Oracle has spoken. Sorry Nathan.
Freeman got 40 possessions, quick recruit him NOW! :roll:

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Sanctorum
Club Player

That's good enough for me Joffa, I felt the same (sorry to say) about Luke Dunstan's game against Box Hill a few weeks ago where he racked up a lot of stats but was practically useless after half-time.

I said "sorry to say" because I have for a long time rated him as best 22 but the game seems to be passing him by, he's too slow for the modern style of quick movement of the ball, and I can't see him ever again being selected ahead of Bytel and Byrnes. The other thing about Dunstan is that there were strong reports that he was "offered around" at the end of 2021 but couldn't find any takers.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
MickThomas
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 17 May 2021 10:55am That's good enough for me Joffa, I felt the same (sorry to say) about Luke Dunstan's game against Box Hill a few weeks ago where he racked up a lot of stats but was practically useless after half-time.

I said "sorry to say" because I have for a long time rated him as best 22 but the game seems to be passing him by, he's too slow for the modern style of quick movement of the ball, and I can't see him ever again being selected ahead of Bytel and Byrnes. The other thing about Dunstan is that there were strong reports that he was "offered around" at the end of 2021 but couldn't find any takers.
Agree.
Just pure numbers don't tell the tale.
What does the guy do with the ball? That's the big question.

Unless it benefits the team more than 50% of the time, he's a liability. Turnovers, clangers, etc will help the opposition.
No to Dunstan, no to Freezer.

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 17 May 2021 10:50am
I'm not in charge of recruiting. Thanks anyway.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Mon 17 May 2021 11:08am
If you disagree with my assessment of Fremans 15 disposal first quarter against Essendon, perhaps you could provide your input?

Given you have written “those numbers cannot be ignored” you obviously feel he is worth recruiting.
What about his performance makes you feel he is worth another go at AFL level, other than the number #40?

What did you think of the over head handball on the back flank?
Should he have backed his pace and switched?

What about his handball receive off half back kick turn over in the center?
Poor option, poor disposal or good cut off from opponent?

What about the scrub kick on the wing?
Was it pressure or poor skills?

He took a big hit on the wing, what was your take on that?

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I also note Joffa’s points, but it reminds me of two things closer to home,

1) we shouldn’t judge Dunstan on one AFL game this year
2( Hill backs himself, even at the risk of getting caught, and stretches those hammies and bounces as he clears away from what others would probably consider too dangerous..we should appreciate it more.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 17 May 2021 11:21am
If you disagree with my assessment of Fremans 15 disposal first quarter against Essendon, perhaps you could provide your input?

Given you have written “those numbers cannot be ignored” you obviously feel he is worth recruiting.
What about his performance makes you feel he is worth another go at AFL level, other than the number #40?

Not sure. What's his role set by his coach? What's the instruction for when he receives the ball and what are the team rules? How far away was the switch some coaches only allow changing lanes at 15-25 meters at a time. I don't know Im sure you don't know either.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 17 May 2021 10:55am That's good enough for me Joffa, I felt the same (sorry to say) about Luke Dunstan's game against Box Hill a few weeks ago where he racked up a lot of stats but was practically useless after half-time.

Not sure how we could have offered Dunstan around at the end of 2021, we are only in May 2021. :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Mon 17 May 2021 11:35am

Not sure. What's his role set by his coach? What's the instruction for when he receives the ball and what are the team rules? How far away was the switch some coaches only allow changing lanes at 15-25 meters at a time. I don't know Im sure you don't know either.
So you didn't watch the match and have no opinion on his disposal efficiency or output, but think he should be recruited due to a 40 possession game, because "you can't ignore that number" :roll:
Curly knows football :lol:

aaron82
Club Player

At least Freeman has saved us from stupidity by not nominating for the mid season draft.

and that's the bottom line
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 17 May 2021 11:46am
CURLY wrote: Mon 17 May 2021 11:35am

So you didn't watch the match and have no opinion on his disposal efficiency or output, but think he should be recruited due to a 40 possession game, because "you can't ignore that number" :roll:
Curly knows football :lol:

Of course you can't ignore those numbers what are you a jackass. The numbers he is getting of course he has to be in the discussion. What the hells wrong with you.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

We don’t need another accumulator mid who can’t run
We need dash and ball /foot skills
No to Freeman
If we go down this path AGAIN we should hand keys back to the AFL

“Yeah….nah””
repta
Club Player

Freeman saved StKilda from itself

And we need another midfielder that can hit a target as well.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Mon 10 May 2021 2:53pm Have heard we are into him for the mid season draft. Have kept a close eye on him and are super impressed with his form.
LOL, Curly makes up some bulls*** about us being interested in Freeman due to him having high VFL possessions.
CURLY wrote: Mon 17 May 2021 8:28am Of course you can't ignore those numbers what are you a jackass. The numbers he is getting of course he has to be in the discussion. What the hells wrong with you.
Curly then confirms he hasn’t seen Freeman play and is basing his opinion on possession count, while in the mean time Freeman who understands what it takes to compete at AFL level doesn't nominate for the draft.

Curly knows football :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 17 May 2021 1:20pm
CURLY wrote: Mon 10 May 2021 2:53pm Have heard we are into him for the mid season draft. Have kept a close eye on him and are super impressed with his form.
LOL, Curly makes up some bulls*** about us being interested in Freeman due to him having high VFL possessions.
CURLY wrote: Mon 17 May 2021 8:28am Of course you can't ignore those numbers what are you a jackass. The numbers he is getting of course he has to be in the discussion. What the hells wrong with you.
Curly then confirms he hasn’t seen Freeman play and is basing his opinion on possession count, while in the mean time Freeman who understands what it takes to compete at AFL level doesn't nominate for the draft.

Parrot repeats then believes.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Mon 17 May 2021 1:24pm

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 17 May 2021 1:28pm

Cheers for the acknowledgement.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Mon 17 May 2021 1:31pm

My pleasure Curly, how could anyone think differently given your forum input around the rules, recruiting of VFL talent, junior development, umpiring decisions on the match day thread and your general footy knowledge which remains unparalleled on this forum.

When one considers how well you articulate your points you are without doubt the most knowledgeable, considered and intelligent poster on this site.

I'm sure we can all agree that without doubt - Curly knows football :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And I sure that's not just from me the "Soul" voice of the forum.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 17 May 2021 1:45pm
CURLY wrote: Mon 17 May 2021 1:31pm

My pleasure Curly, how could anyone think differently given your forum input around the rules, recruiting of VFL talent, junior development, umpiring decisions on the match day thread and your general footy knowledge which remains unparalleled on this forum.

When one considers how well you articulate your points you are without doubt the most knowledgeable, considered and intelligent poster on this site.

I'm sure we can all agree that without doubt - Curly knows football :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And I sure that's not just from me the "Soul" voice of the forum.
Cheers. I appreciate this coming for the Oracle of the site. Only when you make your opinion clear that we all have a true understanding of exactly what we are thinking. I know having to deal with such minnows on here would be difficult. We all well at least I do full acknowledge your knowledge on all things football. What be long until your swept away to higher honors. Maybe game day analysis for AFL clubs maybe then you can walk with your equals.

Anyway got some match day feed back to write. Cheers for the kind words.