Mid Season Draft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Re: Mid Season Draft

Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 24 May 2021 9:43pm
Wayne42 wrote: Mon 24 May 2021 9:38pm Maybe the Saints salary cap is so tight they can't afford more than 1 extra player.

I hope that's the reason, otherwise it's sheer incompetence at Moorabbin in 2021.
If our cap is that tight its incompetence letting it get to those levels in the first place. You have to wonder what contracts the dead wood in Frawley, Wood & Hunter are on? It would be a complete farce if the likes of Hill, Hannebrey & Crouch have maxed out our salary cap?
It would be good if Leftlean or Ratts explained to it's members why they are not filling the gaps on the list.

Leftlean also gives me the feeling that they believe they already have the list to succeed.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
CarlD
Club Player

Wayne42 wrote: Mon 24 May 2021 9:47pm Leftlean also gives me the feeling that they believe they already have the list to succeed.
If that is the case I suspect that the majority of the supporter base would disagree with that assessment. :(

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Hudson Garoni 20yo, the195cms & 97 kgs is another key forward name doing the rounds -

https://www.afl.com.au/video/612214/vfl ... 0684000001

saynta
Saintsational Legend

A few out there if you know where to look. Only trouble is, I'm not sure our mod knows.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Inside word on all the top draft picks.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 0c45747ef3

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Worth watching if you have the time.

https://www.afl.com.au/video/620907/mid ... 1998575001

saynta
Saintsational Legend

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 11ecf2e13d

PS. Watts wasn't hard to find either.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

With games cancelled it will be interesting as to how the AFL set the ladder positions with respect to the mid season draft. Given they wont be able to play the GCS V Hawks game until the Bye rounds, the fairest approach would be the ladder after last weeks round. That would be a good result for us, as if we beat North and other results go as expected we could jump 3 positions on the ladder.

PS it was answered with the games being moved to Sydney.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I doubt that the source that nominated redrafting Paddy McCartin as our priority has the inside word on anything

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

We’ve nominated for 1 pick

#1 Ryder fan
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Watch the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft live and exclusively on AFL.com.au and the AFL Live Official App.

With all the picks, expert analysis, and interviews with clubs and draftees, tune in to the comprehensive coverage of the mid-season draft from 6.30pm AEST on Wednesday, June 2.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
silverhalo
Club Player

I really hope that our recruiters have Max Heath on their radar.... "intimidating" presence in the ruck.....fierce competitor
Sounds like someone we could use right now. Paddy, as great as he's been, won't be around forever and our makeshift rucks aren't cutting it

Max Heath

Height: 204cm
Weight: 94kg

Club: Sandringham Dragons

Position: Ruck/forward

Heath is seen as one of the best chances in the mid-season draft, attracting no shortage of interest from AFL clubs. He was a late draft bolter last year who was interviewed by six clubs, despite having only played one NAB League game in 2019 and none in 2020. The interest has only risen since after a strong start to the year. A very mobile big man with an “intimidating” presence in the ruck, Heath is strong in the air and is also remarkably good at gathering the ball at ground level given his size. Before last season was wiped out due to COVID-19, Heath was seen as a likely starting ruck option for Vic Metro at the national championships. He had 21 disposals and 31 hitouts in his first game for the Dragons this season and 17 disposals and 25 hitouts in his second game. He’s also a fierce competitor, having laid 11 tackles across those first two matches.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

silverhalo wrote: Sun 30 May 2021 11:12am I really hope that our recruiters have Max Heath on their radar.... "intimidating" presence in the ruck.....fierce competitor
Sounds like someone we could use right now. Paddy, as great as he's been, won't be around forever and our makeshift rucks aren't cutting it

Max Heath

Height: 204cm
Weight: 94kg

Club: Sandringham Dragons

Position: Ruck/forward

Heath is seen as one of the best chances in the mid-season draft, attracting no shortage of interest from AFL clubs. He was a late draft bolter last year who was interviewed by six clubs, despite having only played one NAB League game in 2019 and none in 2020. The interest has only risen since after a strong start to the year. A very mobile big man with an “intimidating” presence in the ruck, Heath is strong in the air and is also remarkably good at gathering the ball at ground level given his size. Before last season was wiped out due to COVID-19, Heath was seen as a likely starting ruck option for Vic Metro at the national championships. He had 21 disposals and 31 hitouts in his first game for the Dragons this season and 17 disposals and 25 hitouts in his second game. He’s also a fierce competitor, having laid 11 tackles across those first two matches.
There's a chance the best players, including Max Heath, will be gone by the time we have our 1 pick.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

These may not get taken at all, but my Likes:

Bailey Chamberlain 20, mid 179 (West Adel)
Kye Declase 24, def 195 (Werr)
Brayden Crossley 22, ruck/fwd 198 (G Coast) :shock:

Teia Miles 25, mid 180 (Haw/Will)
Jarrod Garlett 25, (GC/Car/WAFL) - likely goes to WC Eagles

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

If the club recruitment team havent identified sufficient players to take at least 2 picks at this draft they should be all fired. They will get no better chance to fill some holes in the list than the MSD. Granted the club may pick up 2 or 3 NGA players at the National Draft, but we wont have a 2nd round selection.

They should have a number of delisting at seasons end ; Kent, Dunstan, McKenzie, Hunter, Frawley, McKernan, Alabakis and possibly Joyce, Clavarino & Lonie and possible retirements of Carlisle & Geary. We tried to trade Lonie last year and only gave him a 1 year contract, so I doubt he will be at the club next year. Clavarino & Joyce might be placed on the rookie list, with Wilkie promoted to the main list.

So on my estimates the club will have at least 8 spots to fill between now and seasons end.
MSD = 2/3
National Draft = 1st round, 3 NGA selections.
SSP = 1 player
Rookie Draft = 2 players.
Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Sun 30 May 2021 7:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

silverhalo
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 30 May 2021 6:53pm If the club recruitment team havent identified sufficient players to take at least 2 picks at this draft they should be all fired. They will get no better chance to fill some holes in the list than the MSD. Granted the club may pick up 2 or 3 NGA players at the National Draft, but we wont have a 2nd round selection.

They will have a number of delisting at seasons end ; Dunstan, McKenzie, Hunter, Frawley, McKernan, Alabakis and possibly Joyce, Clavarino & Lonie and possible retirements of Carlisle & Geary.
Hate to say it but this sounds like a rebuild....time for another 5 year plan :D

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 30 May 2021 6:53pm If the club recruitment team havent identified sufficient players to take at least 2 picks at this draft they should be all fired. They will get no better chance to fill some holes in the list than the MSD. Granted the club may pick up 2 or 3 NGA players at the National Draft, but we wont have a 2nd round selection.

They will have a number of delisting at seasons end ; Dunstan, McKenzie, Hunter, Frawley, McKernan, Alabakis and possibly Joyce, Clavarino & Lonie and possible retirements of Carlisle & Geary.
Dunstan, McKenzie and Clavarino are in the lets wait and see category for mine.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 30 May 2021 7:02pm

Both McKenzie & Dunstan may get another year but their papers are stamped...Clavarino might get another year on the rookie list?
Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Sun 30 May 2021 7:22pm, edited 1 time in total.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

silverhalo wrote: Sun 30 May 2021 7:00pm

Hate to say it but this sounds like a rebuild....time for another 5 year plan :D
They tried to paper over the cracks with the continued recruitment of mature aged players and it has completely failed IMO. The exception being Wood who is playing some reasonable footy, but wouldnt be playing if we had a full list available. Even Highmore is a questionable selection IMO, as he doesnt have the size, speed or run to play AFL, but he may improve after a full preseason.

Players like Hunter, Frawley, McKernan and Alabakis are just list cloggers with no future.

McKenzie & Dunstan may get another years contract as depth players simply because we dont and wont have the draft currency to fill their positions. At the end of next year I expect the club will have a red hot go at getting Ben King who will cost 2 x 1st round draft picks. So our hand of draft picks are not going to improve in the immediate future, hence why I believe this MSD is so critical.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 30 May 2021 7:06pm
saynta wrote: Sun 30 May 2021 7:02pm

Both McKenzie & Dunstan may get another year but their papers are stamped.
What a f****** ignorant comment. Papers stamped. f*** me, what does that even mean? :roll:

silverhalo
Club Player

The future of the club as much as I hate to say it does not look bright. We probably overrated the quality of the personnel we had and decided we just needed a few quality experienced players to get us to the level required to challenge for a flag.

That's obviously not the case as the gap between us and the top sides has grown to a chasm, we've seen that a few times this year in some of those really ugly losses. We have no kids coming through and that's a real worry - Leo Connelly might show something but what else is there???

The problem with bringing in these highly paid big guns is that most of them have tasted success and it's fair to say that in most cases, the money attracted them to the club so their motivation levels are probably not at the level that we as supporters would like.

I agree with the 5 or 6 players nominated on this thread as having to go at the end of the year but we need to go back to basics and recruit kids that really want to establish themselves and will play for the jumper. I see a few more years of pain before we seriously challenge again but unfortunately that's the way it is.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

silverhalo wrote: Sun 30 May 2021 7:37pm The future of the club as much as I hate to say it does not look bright. We probably overrated the quality of the personnel we had and decided we just needed a few quality experienced players to get us to the level required to challenge for a flag.

That's obviously not the case as the gap between us and the top sides has grown to a chasm, we've seen that a few times this year in some of those really ugly losses. We have no kids coming through and that's a real worry - Leo Connelly might show something but what else is there???

The problem with bringing in these highly paid big guns is that most of them have tasted success and it's fair to say that in most cases, the money attracted them to the club so their motivation levels are probably not at the level that we as supporters would like.

I agree with the 5 or 6 players nominated on this thread as having to go at the end of the year but we need to go back to basics and recruit kids that really want to establish themselves and will play for the jumper. I see a few more years of pain before we seriously challenge again but unfortunately that's the way it is.
Recruiting kids is the way to go now I believe. You have to have a group coming through, playing and developing together like in the early 2000s.

silverhalo
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sun 30 May 2021 7:41pm
silverhalo wrote: Sun 30 May 2021 7:37pm The future of the club as much as I hate to say it does not look bright. We probably overrated the quality of the personnel we had and decided we just needed a few quality experienced players to get us to the level required to challenge for a flag.

Recruiting kids is the way to go now I believe. You have to have a group coming through, playing and developing together like in the early 2000s.
Spot on....

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

https://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/9463 ... ason-draft

Current club selections:

- Adelaide: One selection
- Brisbane: No selections
- Carlton: Two selections
- Collingwood: Two selections
- Essendon: One selection
- Fremantle: No selections
- Geelong: No selections
- Gold Coast: Two selections
- GWS: One selection
- Hawthorn: One selection
- Melbourne: Two selections
- North Melbourne: Two selections
- Port Adelaide: One selection
- Richmond: One selection
- St Kilda: One selection
- Sydney: One selection
- West Coast: No selections
- Western Bulldogs: No selections

Looks like 1 pick only for the Saints - the tide of questionable list management & recruiting rolls on!