The Hunter headclash

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Re: The Hunter headclash

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 13 Jun 2021 4:22pm I don't think he should go but I thought the same with Ben Long when he had his hip head butted, look how that turned out.

I am equally as disappointed with the side's response from that moment, tragically limp.

On Matthew Richardson, is he Special Comments or just Obvious Comments? He's painful to listen to regardless of who's playing.
The same special comments person who said that when we were having a shot from 40 out that we should never miss. Come on Richo. You missed them from 20 in front.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CQ,

Bit rich calling it a tackle!!!

I’ve watched it from different angles and at no time does Mackay get his hands on the footy.

afl.com currently has the incident on it’s website. https://www.afl.com.au/video/630260/bon ... 3493294001

If someone can pause it and take photos of the impact ( and post pictures here ) you can clearly see that Hunter has both hands on the footy when Mackay smashes into him.

If I was Mackay’s team mate I’d be rapt with his ferocity and I’d be inspired. They also knew that we were a man down from that moment on. I see there’s a chorus of lovers of ‘old fashion aussie rules’ followers, that were cheering on the hit...

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=hunt ... CAw&uact=5
Last edited by Scollop on Sun 13 Jun 2021 6:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 13 Jun 2021 5:11pm CQ,

I’ve watched it from different angles and at no time does Mackay get his hands on the footy.

afl.com currently has the incident on it’s website. https://www.afl.com.au/video/630260/bon ... 3493294001

If someone can pause it and take photos of the impact ( and post pictures here ) you can clearly see that Hunter has both hands on the footy when Mackay smashes into him.

If I was Mackay’s team mate I’d be rapt with his ferocity and I’d be inspired. They also knew that we were a man down from that moment on. I see there’s of chorus of lovers of ‘old fashion aussie rules’ followers, that were cheering on the hit...

I'm not sure where I called it a tackle. If I did, I didn't mean to. My first instinct told me he got there first, I think I'm wrong. He came with the ball. He is a goner I reckon. I hadn't seen that angle.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

From that head on angle, he went straight past the ball and took Clark out. Certainly changes the look of the incident.....

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
SaintDippa
Club Player

Watching the links, how can he possibly not get a holiday?
Exactly the text book head high that the AFL wants to remove from the game. Otherwise if the ball is in dispute its fair game to hurtle in with no regard for opponent's head.
Must be 3 weeks minimum.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Hunter head smash

What head clash ?
There was a head smash when Mackay jumped and put his shoulder into Clark's face but there was no clash of heads.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/sai ... 580mw.html

Tough news for the kid. Surely McKay gets weeks?

footyhead
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sun 13 Jun 2021 5:11pm CQ,

If I was Mackay’s team mate I’d be rapt with his ferocity and I’d be inspired. They also knew that we were a man down from that moment on. I see there’s a chorus of lovers of ‘old fashion aussie rules’ followers, that were cheering on the hit...

Watching on the TV, looked unlucky but they really only played a short clip around the impact so it just looked like two players going for the ball. I thought it was tough Hunter Clark didn’t get a free for head high contact, broken jaw kind of confirms he was hit high, but I thought it was my bias. So originally thought just unlucky, but watching the clip (provided above) from a longer build up then it’s obvious he was lined up, maybe not to break his jaw but the crows player wanted him to “earn it” and chose to bump. No problem if he hits him fairly, but in the head is not fairly so he has to cop the punishment, but I guess It’s really up to how the AFL feel about lining up players and the player getting it wrong. On another note Tex also has to be looked at, not too bad, but he did smack Wilkie across the head. Another make him “earn it”situation. Maybe a fine but you can’t just smack someone because they’re in a better position. So I guess the message was make the Saints “earn it” from the Adelaide coach seeing he was using the Clark hit as the game changer. So maybe the feeling is if you smack the Saints around a bit they go to water. Anyway who knows what will happen, but we have a player that got his jaw broken from a hip and shoulder that went wrong. Long got 3 weeks and the guy kept playing for something similar. Big test for the system. Having said that maybe I’m bias and if the shoe was on the other foot I’d be singing a different tune. Anyway another Saints player down for a long period it would seem. Not a great year for us on many fronts.

amusingname
Club Player

If he gets suspended (which I think he might) remember this when a saints players gets brought up on a similar charge. It’s not a bias against us, it a league wide focus on head related injuries

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

It’s been sent direct to the Tribunal.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

There should be a 'you can punch Tex' rule.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Similar to Ben Long last year & I think he got 2 weeks & the bloke he hit played the next week so I'm thinking he will get off with a slap on the wrist

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 13 Jun 2021 5:11pm you can clearly see that Hunter has both hands on the footy when Mackay smashes into him.
Yep, he was late to the football and knew it. Should have chosen to tackle rather than bump

flack
Club Player

If its deemed intentional he should be off for at least as long as Hunter is off, If not intentional 3 weeks. Look after the head.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 13 Jun 2021 1:24pm Whatever the result, it was gutsy from both. Eyes for the ball, a quick glance in anticipation of contact, eyes back to the ball.
Go hard or go home. Tragic for Hunter, hopefully a full speedy recovery for him.
No doubt there will be a lot of scrutiny and arguments, but I love that part of this game. Raises the hairs on the back of your neck and can inspire those around you.
No speedy recovert for hunter. Multiple fractures and 6 to 8 weeks on the sidelines according to leffers

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

The passive way so many of his team mates took it without lifting their aggression and focus* says a lot about that mob. Too soft, not committed, no looking after their mates, selfish. MacKay played on without having to look over his shoulder. Imagine if it happened to a Richmond player.

Terrible thing for poor Hunter, weeks/months of pain and discomfort even if he ever gets over it, which is problematic. Get well Hunter, please.

*actually dropped?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 14 Jun 2021 10:54am The passive way so many of his team mates took it without lifting their aggression and focus* says a lot about that mob. Too soft, not committed, no looking after their mates, selfish. MacKay played on without having to look over his shoulder. Imagine if it happened to a Richmond player.

Terrible thing for poor Hunter, weeks/months of pain and discomfort even if he ever gets over it, which is problematic. Get well Hunter, please.

*actually dropped?
Their reaction or non reaction was pathetic

Sanctorum
Club Player

Glad to read that the AFL has overruled Michael Christian and sent Mackay straight to the tribunal, it was a blatant "side on at force" shoulder to Clark's head - he actually charged into Clark who had his hands on the ball.

If this does not result in a minimum 3 weeks suspension, given Clark's jaw was broken in multiple places, the new head injury policy is a joke.

It should also set a precedent that the Match Review Committee (i.e. Christian) will need to crack down much harder on such incidents.

As for the gung-ho commentators who want to see these sorts of bumps remain part of the game, they should understand that the consequences of these "macho" actions can lead to long term brain damage!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

The incident changed the momentum of the game

Hunter was clearly hit head high but no free kick

Ben Long & Stephen Baker would have been crucified for such an act

Banger9798
SS Life Member

flack wrote: Mon 14 Jun 2021 8:48am If its deemed intentional he should be off for at least as long as Hunter is off, If not intentional 3 weeks. Look after the head.
This.
The onus is on looking after the opposition player.
He gets weeks

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
ace
Saintsational Legend

amusingname wrote: Sun 13 Jun 2021 9:14pm If he gets suspended (which I think he might) remember this when a saints players gets brought up on a similar charge. It’s not a bias against us, it a league wide focus on head related injuries
Reminds me of Voss nearly killing Alan Richardson.
The ball was thereabouts.

The AFL protects the legs.
Slide into an opponents legs don't claim you were contesting the ball.
You risk breaking another players legs you are gone.

You risk breaking another players jaw by smashing him with your shoulder you MUST be gone.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

F F's the tackle. Herald sun.com.au

"What has gone wrong at St Kilda since they won a final last year?

How about the landmark decision to send Crow David Mackay to the AFL tribunal for his bump on Saint Hunter Clark, after not receiving a charge?

DISLIKES

1. BROKEN JAWS

The fact that David Mackay’s contest bump has been sent straight to the tribunal is good for the game.

Was it unreasonable in the circumstance that he ploughed into Hunter Clark while contesting the ball?

Can the game ask players not to be as ballistic as Mackay was, because there needs to be a duty of care for opponents?

He could have slowed up then tackled Clark, and no one would be any the wiser. And Clark wouldn’t be in hospital.

He might not be suspended, but the temperature is changing on duty of care. Ten years ago, there would have been no debate. Ten years from now, any action that produces a broken jaw is likely to earn a suspension.

Concussion can be a killer and to try to combat that, footy has to determine what is reasonable and unreasonable head contact. To be honest, this was unreasonable, but is the footy world ready to accept that? Now it’s up to the tribunal in what will be a landmark decision. "

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 14 Jun 2021 10:37am
CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 13 Jun 2021 1:24pm Whatever the result, it was gutsy from both. Eyes for the ball, a quick glance in anticipation of contact, eyes back to the ball.
Go hard or go home. Tragic for Hunter, hopefully a full speedy recovery for him.
No doubt there will be a lot of scrutiny and arguments, but I love that part of this game. Raises the hairs on the back of your neck and can inspire those around you.
No speedy recovert for hunter. Multiple fractures and 6 to 8 weeks on the sidelines according to leffers
As I said, tragic. Should we stop the bump?

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Reckless Contact, High Contact, High Impact. Has to be minimum 3 weeks, surely?
No plea deals here.....

No free kick to Clark, I think :shock:

Not too much remonstration from Saints players, innit?

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
ROLS-LEE
Club Player

MCG-Unit wrote: Mon 14 Jun 2021 3:48pm Reckless Contact, High Contact, High Impact. Has to be minimum 3 weeks, surely?
No plea deals here.....

No free kick to Clark, I think :shock:

Not too much remonstration from Saints players, innit?
It was not reckless. It was intentional. Severe, high with a 4+ week penalty. The moment he went passed the ball and left the ground changes it from reckless to intent.