Michito Owens...saints go marching!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Michito Owens...saints go marching!

IN THE biggest game of the draft season so far it was the most hyped player who blitzed, with Nick Daicos producing a best-on-ground performance for Vic Metro in its 56-point win over Vic Country on Friday.

Daicos, who is linked to Collingwood under the father-son rule, amassed 41 disposals, six clearances and booted two goals in a dominant display that continued his stellar campaign in 2021.

The 18-year-old was everywhere in the midfield for Metro throughout its 15.15 (105) to 7.7 (49) win at Windy Hill, in what was the best of both sides facing off ahead of the NAB AFL Under-19 Championships under the watchful eyes of recruiters from every AFL club.

Daicos’ smarts, crafty kicking and brilliant vision made him a clear standout from the opening quarter to underline his claims as the possible No.1 pick. He was joined in Metro’s midfield by Josh Ward, who had 29 disposals, eight clearances and two goals in a polished performance to add to his claims as a likely first-round pick.

Mitchito Owens, who was a late inclusion for Metro and is tied to St Kilda’s Next Generation Academy, had a strong showing with 29 disposals and a goal, while Josh Goater (23 disposals) Zac Taylor (21) were also busy.

Quite happy to read this in terms of being tied to our Next Gen, especially performing well in a Metro v Country game.

SuperDuper
Club Player

Re: Michito Owens...saints go marching!

Owens really seems to be progressing very well.
Windhager also played but seems he was quiet.
But two good academy prospects who will likely fall in a good range, i.e. outside the top 20.

Although Owens may be moving up draft boards!

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Interesting outlook on his development. Potentially the pick of the bunch, hopefully still growing and can develop a big engine. Might be that late blooming Bontempelli type we need.
https://www.sandringhamdragons.com.au/p ... sformation

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

SuperDuper wrote: Fri 09 Jul 2021 11:33pm Owens really seems to be progressing very well.
But two good academy prospects who will likely fall in a good range, i.e. outside the top 20.

I wouldnt be so certain

Very likely we will get shafted again

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
silverhalo
Club Player

SuperDuper wrote: Fri 09 Jul 2021 11:33pm Owens really seems to be progressing very well.

He needs to underperform going forward so that we can be sure he doesn't go in the Top 20 - we know what the boy can do now

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

We can't develop players at St Kilda, post Richo. :(
So, hopefully, he will be able to do that himself (assuming he arrives here), with the help of his brother.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

silverhalo wrote: Sat 10 Jul 2021 10:43am

He needs to underperform going forward so that we can be sure he doesn't go in the Top 20 - we know what the boy can do now
No worries of him going top 20, before yesterday he would have been a rookie list option only.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Must admit I have no idea how these academy things work, just an awareness that we never seem to benefit from them.
Hopefully he is the exception

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
The Recruit
Club Player

What do you mean we can’t develop players…crazy comment.

The Recruit
Club Player

Excuse my ignorance
Why does he have to be outside top 20..?

on the outer
Club Player

The Recruit wrote: Sat 10 Jul 2021 4:56pm

Excuse my ignorance
Why does he have to be outside top 20..?
AFL have changed the draft rules so that a NGA player attracting a bid in the first 20 draft picks can not have That bid matched by their NGA club,

DJ Higgins
Club Player

on the outer wrote: Sat 10 Jul 2021 5:17pm AFL have changed the draft rules so that a NGA player attracting a bid in the first 20 draft picks can not have That bid matched by their NGA club,
partially defeats the point of the academy then. Train someone then watch them get poached by another team if they are really good

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I thought the whole academy thing for Melbourne clubs was going to be dumped this year. Bulldogs getting Ugle-Hagan last year was a farce. Wouldn't it be nice to get the number one pick for finishing 5th?

saintly
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Sat 10 Jul 2021 11:23am We can't develop players at St Kilda, post Richo. :(
So, hopefully, he will be able to do that himself (assuming he arrives here), with the help of his brother.
Obviously, we haven't developed Connelly, Byrnes, Highmore, etc etc or even Max

ace
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Sat 10 Jul 2021 8:06pm I thought the whole academy thing for Melbourne clubs was going to be dumped this year. Bulldogs getting Ugle-Hagan last year was a farce. Wouldn't it be nice to get the number one pick for finishing 5th?
The Victorian clubs have looked on with envy as NSW and Queensland clubs were able to use their academies to stock up on star kids.
The stupid imbeciles at AFL HQ were not prepared to restrict the QLD and NSW academies, so they created NGA for Victorian clubs.
An absolute farce, the clowns never even looked at the history of disastrous unfairness created by recruitment zones.
They created NGA zones.

Now the AFL HQ lack the integrity to admit that they were clowns and dump the NGAs.
So we have the farce that if a player is called in the top 20 his NGA status has no value.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 9:36am
cwrcyn wrote: Sat 10 Jul 2021 8:06pm I thought the whole academy thing for Melbourne clubs was going to be dumped this year. Bulldogs getting Ugle-Hagan last year was a farce. Wouldn't it be nice to get the number one pick for finishing 5th?
The Victorian clubs have looked on with envy as NSW and Queensland clubs were able to use their academies to stock up on star kids.
The stupid imbeciles at AFL HQ were not prepared to restrict the QLD and NSW academies, so they created NGA for Victorian clubs.
An absolute farce, the clowns never even looked at the history of disastrous unfairness created by recruitment zones.
They created NGA zones.

Now the AFL HQ lack the integrity to admit that they were clowns and dump the NGAs.
So we have the farce that if a player is called in the top 20 his NGA status has no value.
Great post and oh so true and un f****** fair.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

saintly wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 8:37am
samoht wrote: Sat 10 Jul 2021 11:23am We can't develop players at St Kilda, post Richo. :(
Obviously, we haven't developed Connelly, Byrnes, Highmore, etc etc or even Max
All players develop themselves I reckon ... I was more or less Joshing ... although in Hindsight ?... :wink:

Simon Templar
Club Player

'Scuse my ignorance....his brother?!

Go you good things....!!!