The Interesting Thing About Saturday Night

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

oboe
Club Player

The Interesting Thing About Saturday Night

Not sure why, but in terms of our best players, this is the way it panned out.

First Quarter. Dunstan played an absolute blinder. Hard, aggro, and prolific.

Second Quarter. Billings. For the first time in a month, he showed what he is capable of - insiders get it right, and he can do his own thing.

Third Quarter, Crouch - Quiet in the first half, but his grunt work in the third kept us in it, and then start to get us on top.

Fourth Quarter, Captain Jack. As good a quarter as I have seen from anybody in a long time.

Just wondering, did anybody else notice this???

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Interesting Thing About Saturday Night

Good summary oboe.

I thought Dunny and Crouch were tireless. Also noticed Billings work rate and that important goal in the second. Zac Jones and Paddy and the young fella Byrnes was really good

I saw it slightly differently for my votes for the Eastern Memorial Saintsational Player of the Year award;

Very tight contest in the first and not many goals scored. Brisbane had opportunities and our backline stood up. Wilks, Sincs and Jimmy were very good. Steele and the mids good contributors.

Maxy was probably our best for the second quarter imo and Paddy also very influential around the ground

The Dmac was dominant in the 3rd. He finished with 18 possessions in total and I think he had most of them in that 3rd quarter. 8 of his nine kicks were effective. He went at 88% DE for the match. He did it all with tackles, marks, i50’s, ground ball gets and lots of pressure acts

The last quarter was a pretty even contribution with the standouts being Tommy Highmore and Jack Steele

oboe
Club Player

I'm surprised about Byrnes. He's been a real solid contributor for a guy who has played less than 10 games. Midfield depth looking threadbare six weeks ago to now. Steele, Crouch, Jones, Ross, now Byrnes, and possibly Bytel, Hannebury (if we could be so lucky), and Gresham.

Let Clark and Coffield develop (as free range Swing Men), and Battle on a wing (sounds stupid, but he has the mobility, and a big clunk mark between the backs and the forwards)

The ingredients are there. Yet again, I'm super excited.

AuckSaint
Club Player

What I liked (and it's reflected in the posts here) is the fact that pretty much everyone performed or at least did their job for the game. No one dominated the game and various players produced at various times. Most importantly, every time the Lions came hard, we resisted and then dominated. I thought last year's game against Port was the best we'd played in the past couple of years, but I think this one beat it. Really heartening and next week might show whether it's the start of a trend...

1 of the 10,000 NZ Saints members
stkfc1
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Mon 12 Jul 2021 12:58am Good summary oboe.

I thought Dunny and Crouch were tireless. Also noticed Billings work rate and that important goal in the second. Zac Jones and Paddy and the young fella Byrnes was really good

I saw it slightly differently for my votes for the Eastern Memorial Saintsational Player of the Year award;

Very tight contest in the first and not many goals scored. Brisbane had opportunities and our backline stood up. Wilks, Sincs and Jimmy were very good. Steele and the mids good contributors.

Maxy was probably our best for the second quarter imo and Paddy also very influential around the ground

The Dmac was dominant in the 3rd. He finished with 18 possessions in total and I think he had most of them in that 3rd quarter. 8 of his nine kicks were effective. He went at 88% DE for the match. He did it all with tackles, marks, i50’s, ground ball gets and lots of pressure acts

The last quarter was a pretty even contribution with the standouts being Tommy Highmore and Jack Steele

DMac was simply outstanding in that 3rd quarter. Best footy I've seen him play.
It was a very even contribution across the board, as stated previously, everyone had their shinning moments in the game.
What made me more happy was the running, gunning style of play we had going. Some of the link up work was sublime and that comes down to being a team in sync, which we haven't been for most of the year.
Our best footy is as good as anyone. We have the team to beat anyone. It's all about belief for this group, as I honestly believe this group can take us all the way. Havent thought that since 09,10

SaintDippa
Club Player

Watched the Dees/Port match and thought why can't we play like Melbourne.
Bang. We ran the footy, Howard/Wilke were blocking for Highmore (per Lever), Kent/Butler blocking for King so Maxie can contest 1:1, centre clearance Ryder/Dunstan/Crouch/+ matched Gawn/Oliver/Petracca/+, ... could go on, quick ball movement, low hard darts to move the footy, low turnovers, quicks ran quick, BLong calling hospitals pre-game (get ED on standby), Maxie ruling the skies.
Started to play finals winnable footy. Lit dreams.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

oboe wrote: Mon 12 Jul 2021 12:40am Not sure why, but in terms of our best players, this is the way it panned out.

First Quarter. Dunstan played an absolute blinder. Hard, aggro, and prolific.

Second Quarter. Billings. For the first time in a month, he showed what he is capable of - insiders get it right, and he can do his own thing.

Third Quarter, Crouch - Quiet in the first half, but his grunt work in the third kept us in it, and then start to get us on top.

Fourth Quarter, Captain Jack. As good a quarter as I have seen from anybody in a long time.

Just wondering, did anybody else notice this???
Noticed Jack in the fourth. How could you not?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

oboe wrote: Mon 12 Jul 2021 1:28am I'm surprised about Byrnes. He's been a real solid contributor for a guy who has played less than 10 games. Midfield depth looking threadbare six weeks ago to now. Steele, Crouch, Jones, Ross, now Byrnes, and possibly Bytel, Hannebury (if we could be so lucky), and Gresham.

Let Clark and Coffield develop (as free range Swing Men), and Battle on a wing (sounds stupid, but he has the mobility, and a big clunk mark between the backs and the forwards)

The ingredients are there. Yet again, I'm super excited.
Dunstan?

George27
Club Player

AuckSaint wrote: Mon 12 Jul 2021 8:50am What I liked (and it's reflected in the posts here) is the fact that pretty much everyone performed or at least did their job for the game. No one dominated the game and various players produced at various times. Most importantly, every time the Lions came hard, we resisted and then dominated. I thought last year's game against Port was the best we'd played in the past couple of years, but I think this one beat it. Really heartening and next week might show whether it's the start of a trend...
Agree. For the first time this year, all 22 made a significant contribution , even if it was just with tackling, harassing and so on. Everyone was buying in . No passengers .

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

No really slow players on the backline which meant they could all run and tackle. Tom Highmore and Leo Connolly might be new to AFL but they are much better bets than the two they replaced. Hunter Clark often looks like there should be a place for him in AFL, but the moment run and chase is required, he's out of it.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: Mon 12 Jul 2021 2:15pm No really slow players on the backline which meant they could all run and tackle. Tom Highmore and Leo Connolly might be new to AFL but they are much better bets than the two they replaced. Hunter Clark often looks like there should be a place for him in AFL, but the moment run and chase is required, he's out of it.
The lack of leg speed is even more pronounced when Coffield is playing. Clark is agile enough to cut down the angles, Coffield turns like the Bismarck and if he cant mark it, he is a liability. Clarks form was quite good before he had his jaw smashed, but both would benefit from a really big off season with the services of a running coach.

bergsone
SS Life Member

The back line were good for 4 quarters

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote: Mon 12 Jul 2021 3:17pm The back line were good for 4 quarters

More than good. They were exceptional ;)

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

SaintDippa wrote: Mon 12 Jul 2021 10:03am Kent/Butler blocking for King so Maxie can contest 1:1
Excellent observation, he was finally able to compete one on one thanks to some blocking. Still only very short leads but leads that his other forwards fought hard to give him the opportunity.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 12 Jul 2021 3:05pm
perfectionist wrote: Mon 12 Jul 2021 2:15pm No really slow players on the backline which meant they could all run and tackle. Tom Highmore and Leo Connolly might be new to AFL but they are much better bets than the two they replaced. Hunter Clark often looks like there should be a place for him in AFL, but the moment run and chase is required, he's out of it.
The lack of leg speed is even more pronounced when Coffield is playing. Clark is agile enough to cut down the angles, Coffield turns like the Bismarck and if he cant mark it, he is a liability. Clarks form was quite good before he had his jaw smashed, but both would benefit from a really big off season with the services of a running coach.
Very interesting posts.

Begs the question, where do they fit in when they return?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.