This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sign up Dunstan ASAP!!!

So we can use stats in this circumstance?

I think it is well acknowledged and obvious that Luke isn’t a great kick. Neither was Jack Steven.

Inside Mids generally aren’t as they are winning a lot of contested ball.

He has always burned the footy a bit, but that wasn’t his main issue. It was his lack of output that was the problem, as an inside Mid to average only 20 per game is simply not enough, especially if you waste a few of them.
If you average 25-30 like most AFL Mids (which he is doing now) it’s ok to chunk a few.

He’s in great form atm

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 2:53pm So we can use stats in this circumstance?

I think it is well acknowledged and obvious that Luke isn’t a great kick. Neither was Jack Steven.

Inside Mids generally aren’t as they are winning a lot of contested ball.

He has always burned the footy a bit, but that wasn’t his main issue. It was his lack of output that was the problem, as an inside Mid to average only 20 per game is simply not enough, especially if you waste a few of them.
If you average 25-30 like most AFL Mids (which he is doing now) it’s ok to chunk a few.

He’s in great form atm
Stats are easier to verify than opinion BM.
You've asked were his current 25 disposals were from his 50-100 games. He was averaging 23 and building, then Covid and injury set him back in 2020 and he got locked out of contention. All of a sudden you're impressed by 2 more disposals a game, like he is an over night success. He has a better structure and other players have developed around him.
There is more run around him and less of our midfield attack being fired right back at him and back over his head.
There were many problems in the first 6 years that Luke was a key midfield player developing but that has changed exponentially over the last 18 months.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Yeah Dunny is definitely in a stronger midfield at present so there will be no excuses if he doesn't maintain his current form. Unfortunately he doesn't have any credits so he just has to keep delivering to the level of the past 3 games.

And he’s doing it solely for bargaining chips.

The Barometer
Club Player

freely wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 8:36am
Vortex wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 8:30am If we lose to Port and Dunny doesn't play well for 4 quarters he will be right back in the sights of most supporters who don't trust him to sustain this current level of form.

I really want him to succeed but it's a trust issue for me, similarly for this whole team. Dunny transcends the fragility of the whole team and the pick and choose attitude towards effort and playing for four quarters. It's been good for 3 games. I am nervous that Dunny and the team can't keep it up.

I hope our past wins 3 haven't put paper over the big cracks we have.
I think it's wrong to suggest that Dunstan picks and chooses - he's had some skill issues and form slumps but I have never doubted his attitude.
Yeah I dont think he picks and chooses, its a fitness and mindset thing. He would often start a game and then fade massively. I do agree Vortex on the trust thing, he needs to play out the season showing this level of consistency for mine.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

For years he just didn't have the fitness to run out games. I remember watching him late in the Richardson era. He just couldn't chase because he was knackered all the time. Typically he would start games well and then get only three or four touches in the second half. Sinclair had a similar issue. Being slow doesn't help. Much more effort required to keep up with the game. Seb Ross is only marginally quicker than Dunstan but he got his fitness levels up earlier, although it took him three years, whereas Dunstan took six.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Why would it take 7 years to get to the required level of fitness?

He is a full time pro athlete.

Is he actually any fitter? Or is he playing a very suitable role atm. Effectively playing on the opposition best mid.

And Ross is deceptively quick… his running style is not that of a speedster, but he is very fast over the ground. One of the best runners at Moorabbin

I do remember track watching down at Seaford about 4 or so years ago in the pre season
In a time trial Dunstan only beat home Longer and Pierce.

Geary won by a street, and Ross, Sinclair and Acres were in the leading pack.

Luke was pretty much lapped

Gershwin
Club Player

From a mate of mine:
"I was at the VFL on Sunday and bumped into a StK board member – I get the impression from him that despite Dunstan’s vigour and great recent form that it has all come too late and that he or the Saints have decided on an exit."

summertime and the living is easy ........
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

The Recruit wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 2:03pm
Sanctorum wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 1:27pm Luke Dunstan was pick 18 in the 2013 NAB draft, in eight seasons he has only played 111 games which indicates that he has taken a extraordinarily long time to reach the point where at age 26 he is showing his best form - there were suggestions that the club had looked around the traps to trade him at the end of 2020 and could not find any takers!

He needs to build on this experience to maintain his place in the team, and I certainly hope he does, but "one swallow doesn't make a summer" so both St Kilda and any clubs that may be interested in him will be watching to see how he plays in the remaining games this year.
If not Gold Coast might take him with a pick for Ben
That trade will never happen, Gold Coast would never fall for that one.

They would want a couple of first round draft picks for their best forward, they may even ask for Marshall as well. :lol: :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 7:11pm From a mate of mine:
"I was at the VFL on Sunday and bumped into a StK board member – I get the impression from him that despite Dunstan’s vigour and great recent form that it has all come too late and that he or the Saints have decided on an exit."
😥😪😫

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 8:50pm
😥😪😫
Thankfully saynta we can't keep them all. I've heard if you love them, set them free.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Sell high!

“Yeah….nah””
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 9:41pm
😥😪😫
Thankfully saynta we can't keep them all. I've heard if you love them, set them free.
Thankfully???...f*** me😟👎

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Luke Dunstan will remain a Saint until at least the end of 2021, inking a new two-year deal this week.

The 24-year-old has been among the Saints’ most important this year, regularly holding his own against the best midfielders in the competition.

“We’ve been really impressed with Luke this season, both on and off the field,” Saints Head of List Management James Gallagher said.

“He has always been willing to put his body on the line, but he’s grown into a very important player for us, and his numbers reflect that.”

DUNSTAN: Lenny, lapses and looking back

Dunstan’s progress has been clear, with his stats in contested possessions, clearances and tackles all up year-on-year.

Of every midfielder to have played this season competition-wide, only four average 6+ clearances, 5+ tackles and 4+ inside-50s – Luke Dunstan, Clayton Oliver, Luke Shuey and Elliot Yeo.

“Luke is also a vocal leader and has been integral to the development of several players around him.

“We’re really pleased to have secured his services for the next few years, and we look forward to seeing his growth continue.”

TEAM SELECTION: Brown returns for clash against the Blues

Dunstan, who notched up his 100th AFL game two weeks ago, said the decision to stay was made easy by the exciting crop of young players alongside him.

“I love the club, and I believe the group we have is capable of some really great things,” Dunstan said.

“We’re getting to a stage where there is a core number of boys who have played together for a few years now, and we’re really starting to gather some momentum.

“We are really keen to finish the year off strongly, and then get stuck back into pre-season and prepare for a big 2020.”

Dunstan joined the Saints with pick No. 18 in the 2013 AFL Draft, before debuting against Melbourne in Round 1 the following year.

After a brownlow vote in his one game last year and a torn pectorial muscle which ruined his season last year, he is currently averaging 25+ kicks as well.
Not playing him earlier in the year and possibly in the finals last year might prove to be a mistake.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 9:45pm
Ghost Like wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 9:41pm
😥😪😫
Thankfully???...f*** me😟👎
Saynta, please make a statement rather than reacting to other people's.

To make our list better, who would you cull or release? What deals are you willing to make with our current players. We cannot keep all of them.

I'm thankful we have to trade, delist, recruit and draft because we need to. It's like farming, you need to turnover your paddocks, move on your cattle.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

You directed your comment to me. I responded and you want to critiseme for that. f*** me.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 9:56pm Luke Dunstan will remain a Saint until at least the end of 2021, inking a new two-year deal this week.

The 24-year-old has been among the Saints’ most important this year, regularly holding his own against the best midfielders in the competition.

“We’ve been really impressed with Luke this season, both on and off the field,” Saints Head of List Management James Gallagher said.

“He has always been willing to put his body on the line, but he’s grown into a very important player for us, and his numbers reflect that.”

Dunstan’s progress has been clear, with his stats in contested possessions, clearances and tackles all up year-on-year.

Of every midfielder to have played this season competition-wide, only four average 6+ clearances, 5+ tackles and 4+ inside-50s – Luke Dunstan, Clayton Oliver, Luke Shuey and Elliot Yeo.

“Luke is also a vocal leader and has been integral to the development of several players around him.

“We’re really pleased to have secured his services for the next few years, and we look forward to seeing his growth continue.”

Dunstan, who notched up his 100th AFL game two weeks ago, said the decision to stay was made easy by the exciting crop of young players alongside him.

“I love the club, and I believe the group we have is capable of some really great things,” Dunstan said.

“We’re getting to a stage where there is a core number of boys who have played together for a few years now, and we’re really starting to gather some momentum.

“We are really keen to finish the year off strongly, and then get stuck back into pre-season and prepare for a big 2020.”

Dunstan joined the Saints with pick No. 18 in the 2013 AFL Draft, before debuting against Melbourne in Round 1 the following year.

After a brownlow vote in his one game last year and a torn pectorial muscle which ruined his season last year, he is currently averaging 25+ kicks as well.
Not playing him earlier in the year and possibly in the finals last year might prove to be a mistake.
The end of 2021 is almost here, must be an error at the start of this article, if he is staying for 2 more years.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 10:16pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 9:56pm Luke Dunstan will remain a Saint until at least the end of 2021, inking a new two-year deal this week.

The end of 2021 is almost here, must be an error at the start of this article, if he is staying for 2 more years.
Not an error, the article was written in August 2019. Apart from injury, he has hardly put a foot wrong since.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

To answer your question i would get rid of MacKernan, Hunter, Frawley, Alabacus, Geary, Kent and Lonie.

Dunstan is gone and maybe Billings too

That's 9 and more than enough.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 10:10pm You directed your comment to me. I responded and you want to critiseme for that. f*** me.
You really aren't reading and understanding everything at the moment are you? You jump to way too many conclusions saynta that aren't justified.

What did I say that was so bad by using the word "thankfully"?

I'm also getting concerned that after each post you say "f*** me". What's that about?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

If he has been shopped around, it doesn't make much sense.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 10:20pm
saynta wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 10:10pm You directed your comment to me. I responded and you want to critiseme for that. f*** me.
You really aren't reading and understanding everything at the moment are you? You jump to way too many conclusions saynta that aren't justified.

I'm also getting concerned that after each post you say "f*** me". What's that about?
Its because I think.the post is so.crap it is hard to believe.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 10:18pm To answer your question i would get rid of MacKernan, Hunter, Frawley, Alabacus, Geary, Kent and Lonie.

Dunstan is gone and maybe Billings too

That's 9 and more than enough.
Absolutely no need for your tears emoticons saynta. Turning over our list can only be a good thing when we've been mediocre. Thankfully is being polite when describing it's what our list needs to challenge.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 10:22pm
Ghost Like wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 10:20pm

Its because I think.the post is so.crap it is hard to believe.
Well that doesn't make sense, perhaps it's the punctuation.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

At thr start of the year the Saints administration.thought they had a side that could compete well into September.

What f***ed us were injuries(Paton) and Paddy's unavailabilty. Hanners continued inability to get on.the field and losing Gresh were further nails in our coffin.

Next year with a full list we will more that competitive.

We need to hang on to our better players, including Seb and Billings.

Bytel is a more than adequate replacement for Dunstan though.
Talk of trading players like Battle and other young players gives me the s***s. So shot me.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

In a perfect world good players stay

And I always say, you don’t get better by trading out good players

Other teams do

But if they are to go
You need to get value for them and replace them with at least an equal talent!

Which is why I was fuming about Luke Ball in 09

Fair enough he wanted to leave, his choice, he wasn’t wanted. But to see him walk for zero, to a team that beat us the following year was poetic justice!!! We deserved it!!!

Another
Barry Hall - went to Sydney
They won a flag - we made them better
But at least we got Dal Santo as a result!!!

If we were to lose a Billings, a Ross, a Dunstan they NEED to be replaced - and players of that quality - a second round draft pick WILL NOT cut it!!
Unless we are assured of good talent coming in, what’s the point?!

Which is the reason for this thread… M Crouch