What’s the plan with Max King!!??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

What’s the plan with Max King!!??

So I read with interest here the suggestion that he is to stay at the goal square with the specific focus of bringing the ball to ground…
Apparently the coach has said words to this effect.

I feel like there is at least some truth to this as people have been asking all season… why doesn’t he lead more or push up the ground.

But I don’t get it

Why would this be the approach? I envision Max as potentially being the next Riewoldt but possibly even better as he has the size advantage…
If he got some space on an opponent and had the ball kicked to advantage, freakin who could stop him in perfect conditions and in space at Marvel Stadium

Anyone got an insight as to what the strategy here is?

It looks to me as though we’re playing Max wrong, picking a stupid strategy for Marvel Stadium and if the focus is provide crumbs for small forwards… a past Ratten favourite… well then that’s 2 loser strategies

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: What’s the plan with Max King!!??

Great post
It seems obvious to all, except Ratten, that Max is better on the move in a lead up capacity. I saw him at times today push up and look really good even heard Dunstall say to Riewoldt at one point “that’s put a smile on your face”
But no....we seem to be using him as some gorilla forward we bomb to in front of goal ....when he’s built like a twig
He was rag dolled today by a guy 12cm shorter than him....when he got in the move it was game over
I’m genuinely concerned that we are not playing to Max’s strengths and relying on some “bring our smalls” into the game strategy ....problem is smalls have been ordinary whine we waste a rare talent imo

“Yeah….nah””
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The smalls strategy is a poor one in general
Relying on opportunity to pop up and then having to make the most of it when it does.

It’s why I don’t rate Kent as a player

He’s not a good grab, not a great kick, runs a bit but not a big runner, fast’ish, chases but not a tackling machine…
So how is he supposed to influence games

Someone pointed out earlier in the week that he’s clever and blocks really well and has great pressure. Yeah that’s great but that type of thing isn’t a positive on its own… it’s meant to compliment the other great qualities.

For Kent… he doesn’t have the qualities to regularly create something out of nothing to he relies on getting free of his opponent for uncontested grabs.
It’s a risky strategy because it limits opportunities but more so… you need to be a dead eye dick to make the most of them and he’s not.

Butler I at least get the logic… he’s down on confidence at the moment but between his speed and harassing, he’s at least finding himself getting into dangerous positions or creating things

Problem is… kicking to a crowded forward line for Max to bring the ball to ground really doesn’t do him any favours either

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Look at Ben King, he is given licence to go roaming the HF line and pushing to FF

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
B.M
Saintsational Legend

To bomb it long on top of his head!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 17 Jul 2021 10:03pm The smalls strategy is a poor one in general
Relying on opportunity to pop up and then having to make the most of it when it does.

It’s why I don’t rate Kent as a player

He’s not a good grab, not a great kick, runs a bit but not a big runner, fast’ish, chases but not a tackling machine…
So how is he supposed to influence games

Someone pointed out earlier in the week that he’s clever and blocks really well and has great pressure. Yeah that’s great but that type of thing isn’t a positive on its own… it’s meant to compliment the other great qualities.

For Kent… he doesn’t have the qualities to regularly create something out of nothing to he relies on getting free of his opponent for uncontested grabs.
It’s a risky strategy because it limits opportunities but more so… you need to be a dead eye dick to make the most of them and he’s not.

Butler I at least get the logic… he’s down on confidence at the moment but between his speed and harassing, he’s at least finding himself getting into dangerous positions or creating things

Problem is… kicking to a crowded forward line for Max to bring the ball to ground really doesn’t do him any favours either
It’s the wrong way around
Build your plan around your gun forwards strengths - it’s up to smalls to compliment that and I think IF Max was encouraged to lead up then our forward line would open up for smaller types with space to run into
I don’t know who is our forward coach but this group have not worked at all cohesively this year and surely that role needs to change
Ratten needs to coach to the strengths of his cattle not done weird game plan that he liked 5 years ago ffs
Get King on the move and we need another tall forward plus another tall defender desperately

“Yeah….nah””
seano1
Club Player

He’s just a player , forget this he’s the messiah stuff . He’s a full forward that’s it he’s no lockett . What we need is a proper plan for the forwards to stop standing next to each other and spread out

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Max King is a battleship. Ben King is an aircraft carrier...
..eh..not one of my better posts., but you get what I'm trying to say.
What Lloydo says. Max is a lighthouse...a beacon on the rocks with waves crashing around him. Ben is a roaming tiger, hunting and stalking.
Thing is, the waves crashing around Max don't seem to be flowing our way...the tide seems o be going out, courtesy of the Port Authority tug boats, aka, the umps whistle.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

seano1 wrote: Sun 18 Jul 2021 12:02am He’s just a player , forget this he’s the messiah stuff . He’s a full forward that’s it he’s no lockett . What we need is a proper plan for the forwards to stop standing next to each other and spread out
No ones saying he’s the messiah or the answer but at this rate we’ll turn him into a GOP instead of a top shelf forward and a key piece of our forward puzzle

Nick Riewoldt wasn’t Lockett either but we at least got the best from him don’t stuff it up by playing dumb football and limiting King is my concern and constantly kicking it on his head is just dumb

“Yeah….nah””
The Recruit
Club Player

Use him to get Ben

One leads one stay home in square

Will be nice to watch

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The Recruit wrote: Sun 18 Jul 2021 12:43am Use him to get Ben

One leads one stay home in square

Will be nice to watch
Yep that is scary good to me that plus a key defender and we are right in contention for a number of years
Build mids out over time add Clarke, Byrnes, Bytel and possibly in time Connolly....kid has serious ball usage quality plus decision making skills

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Good op

Maxy took a beauty of a mark up on the wing against Port when he had a chance to run and launch. Last week when Maxy had separation and could leap at the footy, Harris Andrews couldn't get a fist in and didn't have the reach. Andrews is an All Australian and when I saw him play a few years ago (and when he first started) he looked too skinny and not built for the full back role

Harris has filled out now and isn't easily pushed off the ball. When Maxy tries to bullock and body his opponent (whether it's Harris Andrews or the shorter Trent Mckenzie) it doesn't work for him

max is still work in progress........

On the subject of Bing...He played in the backline as a junior didn't he? I think if we get Ben King, we'd have the option of trying him forward or back. I'd have him go back and complement Dougs and leave Membrey and Marshall as the other KPF's. Ben would be suited to Full Back imo and could be a multiple All Australian backman (when he gets to build some bulk - like Andrews has in recent years)

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

[quote=Banger9798 post_id=1914894 time=1626521657 user_id=23633]
Look at Ben King, he is given licence to go roaming the HF line and pushing to FF
[/quote]

I prey it’s because we know Ben will come and he can roam for us with Max more stay at home. That would be a way to play both

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 17 Jul 2021 9:10pm So I read with interest here the suggestion that he is to stay at the goal square with the specific focus of bringing the ball to ground…
Apparently the coach has said words to this effect.

I feel like there is at least some truth to this as people have been asking all season… why doesn’t he lead more or push up the ground.

But I don’t get it

Why would this be the approach? I envision Max as potentially being the next Riewoldt but possibly even better as he has the size advantage…
If he got some space on an opponent and had the ball kicked to advantage, freakin who could stop him in perfect conditions and in space at Marvel Stadium

Anyone got an insight as to what the strategy here is?

It looks to me as though we’re playing Max wrong, picking a stupid strategy for Marvel Stadium and if the focus is provide crumbs for small forwards… a past Ratten favourite… well then that’s 2 loser strategies
Our absolute number one recruiting prior has to be another key tall forward. Without it we have a major structural weakness that will keep us in the bottom 8.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

The plan with Max is to get games into him, get him in the gym and let him and Marshall work out a system. He's so much to learn. I enjoy watching his brother, Ben is mobile and attacks the ball. At times Max may as well be holding the ruck pad as he's continually getting jumped into.

He will be very good but Ratts needs to raise the anchor and tell him to use these fabled running abilities.

Structurally we are fine with King, Marshall (talls), Membrey, Wood (medium / lead ups) & two smalls (if we can find two in form). They need to work together and for each other.

Please get Bing before Paddy retires and Heath (fingers crossed) develops.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Watching the Bucks Suns Game 5

King should put a poster of Giannis in his home gym

That’s the physique he needs to get to

Amazing specimen

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

He'd get just as much from putting a poster of Jeremy McGovern up to remind him how much work he needs to do with his marking and body positioning.

Size will come, skills need to worked on.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Just a little tid bit for those who keep telling us Max needs guns like Naughton to get to his level......

How was Naughton going last year, which was his 3rd year in the AFL?

Averaged:

7 disposals
1.25 goals (despite kicking 6 in 1 game)
3.5 marks
1.7 contested marks

Max in his 2nd season:

10 disposals
4.3 marks
1.5 goals
2.2 contested marks

Max also triple the inside-50’s and triple the behinds per game (so he’s getting heaps more shots).

Imagine how Max will be going (all things being equal) in his 4th season at the level.

“Yeah….nah””
older saint
SS Life Member

Tank as the game goes on??

freely
SS Hall of Fame

I think that was Ratten's way of protecting Max from criticism earlier in the year when he was dropping 9 out of 10.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Teffers

Cmon

Those stats don’t quite tell the full story do they?
Naughton was injured in 1st quarter of 2 of the games where he had only 1 or 2 disposals in those games, which when you miss 11 games skews the numbers a bit.

Maybe look at Naughton’s second season
11 disposals
2.5 contested marks
32 goals 27

I mean seriously
Seeing a 191cm Trent McKenzie pushing him off the ball

Would it hurt if he was 5k heavier, and therefore stronger???

He’s been doing weights for 3 years - still looks like a fkn twig!!!!

His nickname should be pirates treasure

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

What’s the fetish with turning Max into Hulk Hogan ffs
He’s a different body and a different forward to Naughton all together
I know the numbers don’t suit your narrative but Max is fine - least of our problems

“Yeah….nah””
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

He looks like his brother to me, almost like they are twins. Ben seems to be going OK with an eerily similar physique.
Perhaps it's because he leads more, perhaps he trusts his mids to hit him up. Maybe it's just that he doesn't have to stand under as many balloon kicks.
He may not be built like Wes Fellowes but thankfully he doesn't play like him - he'll be fine & he will bulk up, there are some other things he needs to work on.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 18 Jul 2021 9:16pm Just a little tid bit for those who keep telling us Max needs guns like Naughton to get to his level......

How was Naughton going last year, which was his 3rd year in the AFL?

Averaged:

7 disposals
1.25 goals (despite kicking 6 in 1 game)
3.5 marks
1.7 contested marks

Max in his 2nd season:

10 disposals
4.3 marks
1.5 goals
2.2 contested marks

Max also triple the inside-50’s and triple the behinds per game (so he’s getting heaps more shots).

Imagine how Max will be going (all things being equal) in his 4th season at the level.

For debates sake….your choice of Naughton is an interesting one…because his career path does not flatter Max at all.

Naughton played as a stoic and low stat defender in his first season, fourth in the best and fairest, Rising Star nomination, Chris Grant Medal for best first year player.

In 2019 got a crack in the forward line for the first time. 32 goals, 27 behinds…(so accuracy cost him), took more contested marks than anyone in the AFL.

2020, managed only 12 games and it was a middling year. Bruce came more into the picture too. This year, he is on fire.

Max has always played in one position as far as I’m aware, stay at home full-forward.

That’s the but that nags everyone I think. Lloyd says he’s a stand alone full forward, not a roamed, and so the club seems to agree.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Patience!