Tony 74 please read

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tony 74 please read

There was one player in the game against Port that I was confident would kick a goal while taking a set shot, by his no-nonsense and methodical approach. Unfortunately it was Georgiades.

So I was not surprised at all to look at his tally this year and see 27 G 15 B.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Georgiadis can’t kick goals - he’s only 19

That’s what was said to me about King, that he is allowed to miss and only misses because he’s young?

Thing is
You can be a dead eye at 17 (Arryn Siposs was at 14)
And unreliable at 25 or 30

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

What pick did Port use on the young and impressive Mitch? :?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 18 Jul 2021 11:10pm Doesn’t suit some players, that robotic approach
Maybe some of the youth have just grown up in a world of instant gratification and stimulation and doing something relaxed is very foreign to them

In every day life you try and talk to them and they can't stand still

They're either doing something with their hands or moving from side to side as if practicing dance steps

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Georgiades has Dixon next to him breaking packs
Try that for difference

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Staying another week in Perth just about tops our season off
Given the hardest draw in the comp, losing home games to top 8 competitors and no crowds against interstate teams
FMD

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote: Mon 19 Jul 2021 8:47am Staying another week in Perth just about tops our season off
Given the hardest draw in the comp, losing home games to top 8 competitors and no crowds against interstate teams
FMD
It's a season with peaks, troughs and the bizarre. Still we only have ourselves to blame for the losses against Adelaide, Sydney, Geelong and last Saturday.

A huge difference if we'd even won two of those.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote: Mon 19 Jul 2021 8:17am Georgiades has Dixon next to him breaking packs
Try that for difference
Makes a huge difference and it is why our number one recruitment target should be a key tall forward, the problem is as we know they don't grow on trees.

It's all hindsight but we should never have let Bruce go, letting him walk is turning out to be a massive list management stuff up.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Looked like it was Georgiadis taking pack marks to me

He isn’t a small forward crumbing off Dixon

Not sure how Dixon contributed to any of his goals?

Banger9798
SS Life Member

B.M wrote: Mon 19 Jul 2021 11:18am Looked like it was Georgiadis taking pack marks to me

He isn’t a small forward crumbing off Dixon

Not sure how Dixon contributed to any of his goals?
He read the flight so well, better than even Wilkie, who is elite in this respect.

Kid is a going to be a gun

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
repta
Club Player

Said it before. A coach that works out goal kicking is THE MOST IMPORTANT SKILL IN THE GAME will be revolutionary.

Outsiders to the game shock their heads about 20 years ago at the lack of defence and defensive structure. There was an article going around how USA sportspeople were astounded at the lack of structure and pressure applied and how free flowing the game was.
Coaches recognised the mantra "the best Offence is a great Defence" and the flood was born. This position was fine tuned by a number of coaches none better than Clarkson with the zoning that dominates the game now.

The lack of execution is the next biggest change to the game.
With a better conversion rate StKilda would have beaten Adelaide, Port Adelaide & Geelong and would be comfortably sitting inside the Top 8.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 18 Jul 2021 11:10pm Doesn’t suit some players, that robotic approach

Some players are natural kicks of the footy and they just flow through the ball with ease

Others are a lot more mechanical and rigid

Depends on the individual

Can’t all use the Tony Lockett method or any method that is too unnatural because under pressure you’ll just revert.

Takes about 10 000 hors to master a skill
Not a training session

Players need to find what works for them, with their natural technique (unless it’s horribly wrong and they can’t kick at all - like Loewe - but that’s rare at that level)

Eg
Buddy has his technique
Josh Kennedy his
Jack Riewoldt his (very good kicking action)
Tom Hawkins swings it right to left

Again,
Best golf coaches don’t try and get you to swing like Adam Scott
They look at your swing, make a couple of minor basic modifications to help you start hitting it straighter with more consistency.
The more advanced you become, the more technical they can get.
10 000 hours to master a skill?

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 19 Jul 2021 12:09pm

Some players are natural kicks of the footy and they just flow through the ball with ease

Can’t all use the Tony Lockett method or any method that is too unnatural because under pressure you’ll just revert.

Not a training session

Players need to find what works for them, with their natural technique (unless it’s horribly wrong and they can’t kick at all - like Loewe - but that’s rare at that level)

Eg
Buddy has his technique
Josh Kennedy his

Again,
They look at your swing, make a couple of minor basic modifications to help you start hitting it straighter with more consistency.
Isnt it 10000 times repeated to master a skill??

asiu
Saintsational Legend

(somebody has to say it)
:P

repetition

: thats why i'm so good at
what i'm so good at

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 19 Jul 2021 12:17pm
Vortex wrote: Mon 19 Jul 2021 12:09pm

Not a training session

Eg
Buddy has his technique
Josh Kennedy his

Again,
Isnt it 10000 times repeated to master a skill??
Rote learning of some type I guess but 10000 times seams excessive...

repta
Club Player

Some of our players approach goal kicking like they have never ever practiced.
The fear, shock and horror that crosses their faces is almost comical.

There is common issues
- They walk far to far back. Most take about 10-12 steps in their run up. Yet they go back 30-40m
- They hold the ball crooked. If you have one hand higher than the other the ball will drop on an angle. Try this whilst watching the game. Call Goal or Miss whist the player walks in to have a shot. l can call correctly with a very very high prediction. These arent flukes as I sit on the couch and say "miss right side" before they even drop the ball.
- Bobing and Poping and leaning back whilst kicking (Harlem globetrotting-esk)
- Having zero idea of a players natural arc in their ball flight (eg are they a hooker or slicer).
- Stabbing at the ball and not kicking through the ball (30m out and dont make the distance)

there is many more. Fundamental issues that screamthe players practice is a 'kick and giggle'.

10,000 practice shorts will not work unless each practice shot is studied and dissected. Something needs to be learnt from each and every shot.

There is a great saying we use at work
" Does the person have 10 years experience or
1 years experience 10 times"

10,000 kick and giggle try outs for the Harlem Globetrotters will just leave a player, Bobbing, Popping, spinning the ball, leaning back and stabbing at the ball when the pressure is on.
Eg the Medicos "it will wreck their hamstrings" as they fully know the practice is all in vain.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Does anyone know if Ben King spins the ball?

My other pet hate are players well within goal distance looking for a better option in a crowded forward line ....... just go back and take the shot

Does my head in

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

I guess distance from goal has a big exponential impact on accuracy, similar to putting from 1m or further away. So trade off, try to lower the odds significantly or give ball back to opposition for certain if you miss. Play the odds?

An economic rationalist might argue if you have a 20% or less chance of converting from a set shot 40m or more out (Buddy and J. Kennedy excepted) why even try. Play on or drop it into the red zone to raise odds to 50%.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

practice makes perfect is a fallacy.

perfect practice makes perfect.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Tue 20 Jul 2021 1:42pm practice makes perfect is a fallacy.

perfect practice makes perfect.
Correct. You have to practice the right things or at least find the ones that work for you.

repta
Club Player

I dont believe either of the Kings spin the ball. Max looks like he is so petrified when he walks in he wouldnt have the capability of spinning a ball.
On Max, he is like many others. He only gets his technique correct when he is not expected to get the goal. Eg on an angle, further out. It appears (from the stand) he relaxes more without the expectation. Closer and easier the shot the greater the expectation and greater the anxiety.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

repta wrote: Tue 20 Jul 2021 5:41pm I dont believe either of the Kings spin the ball. Max looks like he is so petrified when he walks in he wouldnt have the capability of spinning a ball.
On Max, he is like many others. He only gets his technique correct when he is not expected to get the goal. Eg on an angle, further out. It appears (from the stand) he relaxes more without the expectation. Closer and easier the shot the greater the expectation and greater the anxiety.
It’s the yips, like a “George Constanza” putt (a nasty four-footer). I don’t know any golfer who doesn’t get just a little nervous over them.

Outside that range you aren’t expected to always make them, so you have an excuse if you miss. The ones you are expected to make however … that is different.

I can only say what works for me (putting, not kicking for goal … though there are a lot of parallels). Take dead aim. Get your head as far over the ball as you can. See the club face hit the ball. Make sure to hit through the ball. Most of all, commit to the shot.

Does it work every time? Of course not. Even the best in the world miss all the time. But it certainly helps and is by far preferable to standing there clueless and without a plan.

Would the same keys help everyone? Possibly, but not necessarily. Depends a bit on their specific issues.

saint6709
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Tue 20 Jul 2021 6:07pm
repta wrote: Tue 20 Jul 2021 5:41pm I dont believe either of the Kings spin the ball. Max looks like he is so petrified when he walks in he wouldnt have the capability of spinning a ball.
It’s the yips, like a “George Constanza” putt (a nasty four-footer). I don’t know any golfer who doesn’t get just a little nervous over them.

Outside that range you aren’t expected to always make them, so you have an excuse if you miss. The ones you are expected to make however … that is different.

I can only say what works for me (putting, not kicking for goal … though there are a lot of parallels). Take dead aim. Get your head as far over the ball as you can. See the club face hit the ball. Make sure to hit through the ball. Most of all, commit to the shot.

Does it work every time? Of course not. Even the best in the world miss all the time. But it certainly helps and is by far preferable to standing there clueless and without a plan.

Would the same keys help everyone? Possibly, but not necessarily. Depends a bit on their specific issues.
I would think that you probably hit more in with your routine than if you spun your club around like Monkey Magic spun his staff as the precursor to your putt - even if the spinning did relax you and cleared your head a bit

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Kane Williamson spins his bat whist the bowler starts running in

Boon and Smith touched each pad before facing up

Davey Warner undoes his gloves and does them up every ball

Each player has their idiosyncratic behaviours

It’s whether those behaviours (which calms them and brings them into focus) interferes with their technique.

I don’t have a putting technique and it differs every putt
That’s why I’m a s*** putter!!!

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 22 Jul 2021 2:41pm Kane Williamson spins his bat whist the bowler starts running in

Boon and Smith touched each pad before facing up

Davey Warner undoes his gloves and does them up every ball

Each player has their idiosyncratic behaviours

It’s whether those behaviours (which calms them and brings them into focus) interferes with their technique.

I don’t have a putting technique and it differs every putt
That’s why I’m a s*** putter!!!
And if:
Kane Williamson spuns his bat;
Boon and Smith touched each pad;
Davey Warner undoes his gloves and does them up;

whilst the ball was coming down the pitch would you expect them to be successful?

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!