Culture of St Kilda Football Club

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Re: Culture of St Kilda Football Club

We talk of culture but then go and recruit dubious (at best) characters like Lovett, Carlisle and Hannebery?
I realise every club has these types but say Stringer and Liberatore etc came into the game as 18 year olds and subsequently showed bad "habits"!
The three I've mentioned were all known for their lifestyle choices when we went and got them!

Need more trades like the Steele one, and stay right away from dubious characters!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

BUMP

I saw a couple of things on the weekend that made me think of this thread and I want to specifically talk about player leadership.

A few years back Alan Richardson lamented the lack of leaders in 2018, which was the first year after Riewoldt and Montagna were no longer there. When Roo and Joey retired, they were the last two of the young brigade that were coached by Grant Thomas.

Grant had a team of leaders and I think the shift away from that to a sole captain and a very dominant personality and dominant leader without any peer may have been to the detriment of the club. When you have only one person as captain for 10 years and then some, surely that has to leave a legacy at your club

What is Nick Riewoldts legacy as a captain? Discuss

Forget about Nick as a player. Focus on what he brought as a captain and what positive or negative legacy he may have had, especially in the last 5-6 years during the Richo years.

Whenever one of the younger players used to be interviewed, I never heard any of them say that Nick was a great captain. The interviewer would focus on how wonderful it must be to play alongside Nick Riewoldt, but there were no questions about Nick’s captaincy. There was never any analysis on his effectiveness as captain, his affect on the players recruited into the club, or the development of the younger players or the young KPF’s that were required to take over after he retired.

It would be a great piece for a journalist, but he’ll be an instant villain no doubt. You can’t shoot Bambi! Any hint of negativity will be people saying you can’t demonise Saint Nick. Was Nick a good captain and a good leader who assisted our young blokes to transition from being a school boy (or a State League player) to playing at an AFL club? Who did he help?

I saw Jack Billings whingeing after an umpires decision in the 3rd quarter and it reminded me of Nick. I think we have a culture of complaining about umpires and it’s not healthy and it doesn’t benefit the team or the individual. An umpire is not going to change his mind or look after you next time he blows the whistle, so there’s no point doing it. Obviously it’s a common thing, but do you think it’s something that this playing group should try and change and perhaps take more control of the way umpires view St Kilda players and perhaps change the respect that umpires have for St Kilda players?
Last edited by Scollop on Wed 28 Jul 2021 7:39pm, edited 1 time in total.

farquhar
Club Player

The decision to move to Seaford was bad. That really hampered the club for a number of years putting all other things aside. We are in a solidifying stage under current admin and coaching staff. Glad to hear they are looking at how to strengthen the club because it can go backwards very quickly if there is a lack of confidence in either the admin or coaching.

Time for goal-kicking practice
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote: Mon 19 Jul 2021 8:28pm
Yorkeys wrote: Mon 19 Jul 2021 12:33pm The culture is changing for the better. Good coaches good Pres. Inspirational captain. Recruiting recently been ok overall.

But we know change takes time and players that won't or can't get on board have to go over time. However AFL does not have flexible employment arrangements and most players take plenty of games to become consistently good.

Saturday's loss like the Adelaide loss showed we have a long way to go, but getting there, building blocks in place. The hardest for me is when we do brilliant for a couple of weeks then revert to poor under pressure.

Its not just us improving unilaterally as a club, all clubs have good players and good coaches so improvement has to be relative as well as individually/team wise. Isn't it conventional wisdom that McCartney set up the Dogs for Bevo to guide to finals by doing the tough things and making himself unpopular in the process. It seems a number of unpopular things have been put to the Saints players and seemingly the Club has won that argument for the time being. Guys not on board will be nervously looking at the injured list for there is plenty of hard talent in waiting.

Suggestions of unsustainability or relocation are silly and probably just trolling attempts.
Why is it trolling? Only a real supporter if you speak no evil of the club?

I just don’t see St. Kilda FC as a sustainable operation in the current AFL structure. Why is to think otherwise trolling?
Get back into lockdown.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
darylcowie
Club Player

whiskers3614 wrote: Tue 20 Jul 2021 10:17am We talk of culture but then go and recruit dubious (at best) characters like Lovett, Carlisle and Hannebery?
I realise every club has these types but say Stringer and Liberatore etc came into the game as 18 year olds and subsequently showed bad "habits"!
The three I've mentioned were all known for their lifestyle choices when we went and got them!

Need more trades like the Steele one, and stay right away from dubious characters!
Yeah the Petracca vs McCartin thing was a real triumph of family values for us!

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

How many games did we play at Seaford?

None

Our home ground is Docklands, has been since 2001

I couldn’t give a f*** if we trained in Moe. Makes little or no difference to me

It’s a place of work - I commute to work everyday, wouldn’t care where it was as long as it was this side of the city. If it wasn’t I’d move!

Players are just fkn precious!

Hawthorn moved out to Waverley (not even transport out to there) from their home at Glenferrie
Melbourne train at Casey (Cranbourne) moving from the Junction
Essendon went from Windy Hill to Tullamarine.

They seem to cope alright.

We just like to use things as a fkn excuse for poor results, rather than looking in the mirror.
Just like our exodus from Tassie because quote “we can’t win there”
What a joke!!!

We should never have moved in the first place, and I’m glad we’re back at Moorabbin (because it’s a better facility, not because of where it is)

But to continually use it as an excuse (moving) is typical StK

How about trying to embrace things and accept challenges and be a little resilient for a change.

Sometimes we are as weak as piss!!!!

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

magnifisaint wrote: Fri 30 Jul 2021 11:15am
SydneySainter wrote: Mon 19 Jul 2021 8:28pm
Yorkeys wrote: Mon 19 Jul 2021 12:33pm The culture is changing for the better. Good coaches good Pres. Inspirational captain. Recruiting recently been ok overall.

But we know change takes time and players that won't or can't get on board have to go over time. However AFL does not have flexible employment arrangements and most players take plenty of games to become consistently good.

Saturday's loss like the Adelaide loss showed we have a long way to go, but getting there, building blocks in place. The hardest for me is when we do brilliant for a couple of weeks then revert to poor under pressure.

Its not just us improving unilaterally as a club, all clubs have good players and good coaches so improvement has to be relative as well as individually/team wise. Isn't it conventional wisdom that McCartney set up the Dogs for Bevo to guide to finals by doing the tough things and making himself unpopular in the process. It seems a number of unpopular things have been put to the Saints players and seemingly the Club has won that argument for the time being. Guys not on board will be nervously looking at the injured list for there is plenty of hard talent in waiting.

Suggestions of unsustainability or relocation are silly and probably just trolling attempts.
Why is it trolling? Only a real supporter if you speak no evil of the club?

I just don’t see St. Kilda FC as a sustainable operation in the current AFL structure. Why is to think otherwise trolling?
Get back into lockdown.
Look at the scoreboard. Keep backing mediocrity...

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

darylcowie wrote: Fri 30 Jul 2021 6:01pm
whiskers3614 wrote: Tue 20 Jul 2021 10:17am We talk of culture but then go and recruit dubious (at best) characters like Lovett, Carlisle and Hannebery?

Yeah the Petracca vs McCartin thing was a real triumph of family values for us!
I obviously didn't make myself clear enough.
What I am saying is that you do not bring PROVEN idiots in to the club especially at high cost.
Draftees can go either way at 18 and luck comes into it