Do you enjoy supporting the Saints?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Do you enjoy supporting the Saints?

The Fireman wrote: Sat 31 Jul 2021 6:08pm not fold but I hear ya Terry
The side I follow depresses on a regular basis, can't be healthy.

All hope I had for next year has dissolved, maybe a good thing.. will expect more failure.

Let's not forget we aren't the only ones atm yet we still remain the most unsuccessful. Nth Supporters cant be happy but they do have flags....Carlton supporters haven't been happy but at least they have flags and know the reason why they are suffering atm...cheating.

Just to highlight how pathetic we are , we were so buoyant after a gutsy show against the Eagles...the Skunks are towelling them
We have a knack of making average sides look awesome
Never fear though! We’ll bounce back next week with nothing on the line, when the result doesn’t matter you watch
Insipid , fragile mentality and you start to wonder...is it in the fibre of the club .,,can it be removed ...
I’m starting to fall into “I’ll never see a flag category”
Actually if they EVER win one I hope they remember to thank the thousands of loyal paid up Saints fans who stuck fat and ate shyte (and inside jokes) at the water cooler for all those years but who died before they got to see the cup hoisted in our colours .....I won’t hold my breath

“Yeah….nah””
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 31 Jul 2021 6:14pm
I’m starting to fall into “I’ll never see a flag category”
been that way for me for a long time.
and said as such many times.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 31 Jul 2021 6:14pm
The Fireman wrote: Sat 31 Jul 2021 6:08pm
Just to highlight how pathetic we are , we were so buoyant after a gutsy show against the Eagles...the Skunks are towelling them
I gave you the early mail on West Coast this morning Firey. I said ‘whoever plays them will win because they’re not that good’

http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 8#p1917668
yep good call, must admit I haven't rated the eagles for awhile and thought we should have beaten them, but like many didn't fully realise how poor we were.

Duped.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda are shite but i'm there for life, 39 years consecutive membership, so far. :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Sat 31 Jul 2021 6:29pm St Kilda are shite but i'm there for life, 39 years consecutive membership, so far. :lol:
how is your mental state ?

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sat 31 Jul 2021 6:32pm
Wayne42 wrote: Sat 31 Jul 2021 6:29pm St Kilda are shite but i'm there for life, 39 years consecutive membership, so far. :lol:
how is your mental state ?
I think it's OK, others may have a different opinion. :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

From March to September my mood all depend if we win or lose . If we win I'm up beat if we lose I'm a grumpy arse for the week .I refocus for the next game & the cycle continues every week. Pathetic yes but that's just how I roll & I'm not proud of it is actually quite embarrassing all my friends know if we lose give me a wide berth for the rest of the week . If the game is close I can't watch I go for a walk until my wife rings me to tell me if we have won or lost . I think the longer the premiership drought continues the more the the reality sinks in I probably won't see a St.Kilda flag but I will go to the grave still hoping sad but true

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

I did on the 24th September 1966 at about 5pm and from then until 20th May 1967. We were smashed by Richmond in Round 6 and I knew then that our "era" was over and that Richmond would steal our flags.

I had a brief moment of joy in GF1 when Brendon Goddard took the mark and put us in front. It lasted about 6 minutes before Cloke kicked a goal. Then after we drew level and the siren sounded, there has been little joy, as I knew we would never win another flag - at least whilst I was alive. Even if I make it to 100 it still won't happen. We pick all the wrong players - almost every single time. With the notable exception of RoMa, Jack Steele is the only young player we have recruited in the last 15 years who even looks like a modern footballer. Before him, you have to go back to Brendon Goddard.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

This year has been such a terrible fall in performance as to be gutting but I do enjoy going to the games, regardless. COVID stuffed that up.

I can only hope that the glaring errors the Club has been in denial about and debated extensively here are addressed off season and our recruits come good and the terrible injuries all heal completely. Then I will enjoy wholeheartedly again. Its not about a premiership for me, its making the 8 and not embarrassing performances every couple of weeks. I have confidence in the President and look forward to some drastic changes. We can't keep playing men who have some good skills but at the same time shocking flaws - need to stop tolerating the flaws.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

It’s become easier for me the last few years as I stopped loving footy. The game is pretty much unwatchable now and I don’t even turn on any live games at all.

Will always love the Saints after 50 years of following them. Took years to get over 2009/10 and even now I imagine how it would’ve been winning either/both.

But now I just check the scores and smile if we win or shrug if we lose
I no longer have any emotional investment. The EPL and the NFL start soon so all my interest is in Aston Villa and the Niners. I don’t watch any afl finals including the gf at all anymore

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote: Sun 01 Aug 2021 1:36am It’s become easier for me the last few years as I stopped loving footy. The game is pretty much unwatchable now and I don’t even turn on any live games at all.

Will always love the Saints after 50 years of following them. Took years to get over 2009/10 and even now I imagine how it would’ve been winning either/both.

I no longer have any emotional investment. The EPL and the NFL start soon so all my interest is in Aston Villa and the Niners. I don’t watch any afl finals including the gf at all anymore
Stevie,
May I ask? Why Villa?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
stevie
Saintsational Legend

I started supporting Villa in October 1978, shane, after seeing them on Match Of The Day drawing 2-2 with Man U. My brother and I had just begun to follow the English football from afar lol. Loved the Villa strip and my time as a fan began. Have been lucky enough to see a game at Villa Park (one of the world’s iconic football grounds) in 1997, a 4-0 loss to Blackburn.

Both fingers and toes are crossed that JG stays with us. I think he will as our owners have been splashing out some cash on decent players over summer.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

stevie wrote: Sun 01 Aug 2021 1:36am It’s become easier for me the last few years as I stopped loving footy. The game is pretty much unwatchable now and I don’t even turn on any live games at all.

Really interesting answer thank you

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda make me feel like Silas from the Da Vinci code. They should be renamed St Cilice.

synonyms for self-punishment

contrition. penance. repentance. compunction. degradation.

A.K.A. or All of the above!

happy feet
Club Player

Terry,

You ask a good question. I’m a child of the 60’s and was 3 years old in 1966. I grew up in Caleb Street East Bentleigh. Most of the street were families and our Dad’s were ex WW2 servicemen. On a Saturday when we played at Moorabbin we would all walk down to the ground, stand at the Gilbey’s Gin end come rain or shine, win or loss, it was what we did. There were many losses but the occasional win was celebrated. That was a long time ago but good memories. I can remember when we recruited Kosi, Roo, Gehrig, Goddard and others, here we go, there is a Premiership on the way. A draw was just cruel. So close. I could list any number of reasons why we missed the ultimate prize, club stuff ups, fate, you name it, but I have now come to the conclusion I will not see Premiership in my lifetime. I will always support the Saints and a times I enjoy it and at times I don’t. We argue on here, we fight, we needle each other but one thing unites us and it’s what we all want; a Premiership.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Watching the olympics v watching the saints in an interesting comparison

I can watch the olympics with almost no emotional attachment and then get so much joy out of a great win/performance

The Australians have been brilliant to watch, but I am not devastated if the lose, just happy if they win, and I am not stressed or anxious

But I also love watching other great wins eg both triathlons

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Sanctorum
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sat 31 Jul 2021 5:57pm Please can one of the AFL clubs employ Ross Lyon as a senior coach…just not us hopefully - we’ve already been there

His career was built on hard work over an extensive period of time in the industry as an assistant coach. He earnt his chance. No doubt. He was lucky enough to have two blokes close to him who would have a big part in helping him secure his first senior gig. Walls and Roos were influential men in AFL and both assisted him at the start and through his early years in the role

Ross Lyon got the senior job with the St Kilda footy club in 2006 when we’d just played off in finals (and prelim finals in 2004 and 2005) and then when he got his second senior gig at Fremantle he again went to club that had the core of a team that had recently played off in a prelim final.

His overall win loss ratio needs to come down to reflect his true worth and his reputation, which in my opinion is more a tale of timing. You know what they say about being in the right place at the right time.

I’m going to start a “Free Ross Lyon from his media incarceration” website or a GoFundme page to subsidise some of his salary and bloody get Ross Lyon back into coaching. Do it for the true believers. I’m sure Paul Roos and Robert Walls and Luke Darcy will be on board.

Why is it that all these clubs out there don’t understand that he is the best coach in the last 20 years and he’s won multiple McLellan trophies? Don’t stress too much if he’s lost a Grand final or two. Forget about his finals win loss ratio... Just imagine the short term joy that fans will have

Hand him a list that is developed and has proven they are finals experienced and choc full of talent and I guarantee you he is your man. Take the teams who haven’t been able to get over the line…. Surely GWS or Geelong or Adelaide or Collingwood could see that? What is wrong with them!!
I have long argued that GT and RL both had good and bad qualities when coaching St Kilda and can be regarded as having achieved success with our team. But I also believe that both failed when it came to the point end of the season.

In the case of Ross Lyons I consider that he was comprehensively out-coached in the 2009/2010 Grand Finals and for that reason I hold him responsible for the Saints missing out on at least 2 more premierships!

For this reason, if I was a supporter of "GWS or Geelong or Adelaide or Collingwood", I would not want RL to coach my team.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Gershwin
Club Player

Banger9798 wrote: Sat 31 Jul 2021 3:28pm More pain than pleasure
It's like a maze I can't get out of.
Either we win a premiership, the club folds or I die....then the torment will end...only one of those is a certainty.
Couldn’t put it better myself.
Really wish I could give them up. Not good for my mental and physical states and my relationships with wife and friends.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Laurie
Club Player

I am also resigned to the fact that i will not celebrate a premiership in my lifetime .
To then see teams that have won multiple flags over the years i ask myself why we cannot aachieve this moment of glory at St.Kilda .
Yes i copped heaps from mates of opposing clubs but always defended the club.
I have been to all grand finals we played in apart fom 66 only to walk away with a broken heart and tears at the end.
We had the Barkers Locketts Burns Cunninghams Winmars Harveys Frawleys Loewe Burkes Elphingstone Hayes etc who i admired over the years home grown players who gave their all for the jumper .
These days to see players who are getting paid well overs promising a lot and deliveribg very little really hurts sone of these guys have won premierships at previous club and i ask myself are they really their for the jumper.
If St.Kilda was to relocate so be it no i would not be happy but if it neans the club survives and we win a flag i am all for it .
Please Leathlean and co i hope you have learnt from the recent recruiting of Hannabery and Hill that paying players overs does not neccessarily bring success has St.Kilda improved by these signings NO.

BOOM BOOM

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 01 Aug 2021 11:04am
Scollop wrote: Sat 31 Jul 2021 5:57pm Please can one of the AFL clubs employ Ross Lyon as a senior coach…just not us hopefully - we’ve already been there

His career was built on hard work over an extensive period of time in the industry as an assistant coach. He earnt his chance. No doubt. He was lucky enough to have two blokes close to him who would have a big part in helping him secure his first senior gig. Walls and Roos were influential men in AFL and both assisted him at the start and through his early years in the role

Ross Lyon got the senior job with the St Kilda footy club in 2006 when we’d just played off in finals (and prelim finals in 2004 and 2005) and then when he got his second senior gig at Fremantle he again went to club that had the core of a team that had recently played off in a prelim final.

His overall win loss ratio needs to come down to reflect his true worth and his reputation, which in my opinion is more a tale of timing. You know what they say about being in the right place at the right time.

I’m going to start a “Free Ross Lyon from his media incarceration” website or a GoFundme page to subsidise some of his salary and bloody get Ross Lyon back into coaching. Do it for the true believers. I’m sure Paul Roos and Robert Walls and Luke Darcy will be on board.

Why is it that all these clubs out there don’t understand that he is the best coach in the last 20 years and he’s won multiple McLellan trophies? Don’t stress too much if he’s lost a Grand final or two. Forget about his finals win loss ratio... Just imagine the short term joy that fans will have

Hand him a list that is developed and has proven they are finals experienced and choc full of talent and I guarantee you he is your man. Take the teams who haven’t been able to get over the line…. Surely GWS or Geelong or Adelaide or Collingwood could see that? What is wrong with them!!
I have long argued that GT and RL both had good and bad qualities when coaching St Kilda and can be regarded as having achieved success with our team. But I also believe that both failed when it came to the point end of the season.

In the case of Ross Lyons I consider that he was comprehensively out-coached in the 2009/2010 Grand Finals and for that reason I hold him responsible for the Saints missing out on at least 2 more premierships!

For this reason, if I was a supporter of "GWS or Geelong or Adelaide or Collingwood", I would not want RL to coach my team.
Comprehensively out-coached in 09????????
Half time we had 50 inside 50s to 32
We’re smashing them around the ground
But guys , like Schneider abs others miss goals from the GOAL SQUARE and Lyon coached badly ????
Come off it
Face facts Thomas couldn’t even muster a team to get there ffs
Revisionist history shytes me
Lyon had his flaws but instilling a winning discipline in a team wasn’t one of them
GT released a “streak video” after 10 games....he’d had made a movie off 19/0

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Good post I agree he’s wasted in the media
How many have even enquired about the “Russian weight loss guru” GT since he got the arse?????
Zero.
Why?

“Yeah….nah””
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Lyon was out coached in the 2010 draw? I thought his coaching tactics got us back int it. Interesting.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

i imagine bulldogs fans in 2015 were having very similar feelings. even worse -will we ever see the dogs in a grand final in our lifetime?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Sun 01 Aug 2021 9:13pm i imagine bulldogs fans in 2015 were having very similar feelings. even worse -will we ever see the dogs in a grand final in our lifetime?
I think that’s the ray of hope we (stupidly?) cling too! :D

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 01 Aug 2021 8:59pm

Lyon was out coached in the 2010 draw? I thought his coaching tactics got us back int it. Interesting.
Agree
Pies were the best side in 2010
But for Lyons game day coaching and Goddard and Hayes huge efforts we’d have been no hope.

“Yeah….nah””