Ins vs Swines- your opinions please

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Ins vs Swines- your opinions please

For me, it should be
Out:
Long
Kent
Paul Hunter
One more

In:
Sinclair
McKenzie
Ryder
Bytel
Last edited by WellardSaint on Tue 03 Aug 2021 10:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ins vs Swines

WellardSaint wrote: Tue 03 Aug 2021 6:53pm Out
Long
Kent
Paul Hunter
One more

In
Sinclair
McKenzie
Ryder
Bytel
This
+ Hannebery

Make it happen selectors.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

So hopeless mids just get a hall pass. Again? They are a big reason we fail so often. Look busy, achieve SFA. Joyce & Clavarino deserve chances. Joyce possibly as a forward.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Tue 03 Aug 2021 9:25pm So hopeless mids just get a hall pass. Again? They are a big reason we fail so often. Look busy, achieve SFA. Joyce & Clavarino deserve chances. Joyce possibly as a forward.
I would drop Ross to make a statement

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ins vs Swines- your opinions please

Howard and Clark are out with injury

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Tue 03 Aug 2021 10:29pm Howard and Clark are out with injury
Howard did a high hammy, is that definitely a week?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Tue 03 Aug 2021 10:44pm
I know he’s out but I have no idea if it’s a tear, tightness or a strain

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Why risk anyone, especially Ryder?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Tue 03 Aug 2021 10:25pm
Yorkeys wrote: Tue 03 Aug 2021 9:25pm So hopeless mids just get a hall pass. Again? They are a big reason we fail so often. Look busy, achieve SFA. Joyce & Clavarino deserve chances. Joyce possibly as a forward.
The club would absolutely implode in spectacular fashion if they started dropping players to make a statement NOW.

Remember Lethers coming out publicly much earlier in the season to state they wouldn't drop Hill just to make a statement.

Imagine dropping Ross now....the players would walk.

In any case I wouldn't take things so seriously until we get back to normal programming and seasons not compromised by COVID, the players just want the season over and who could blame them.

Also we have been decimated this season by injury so another reason not to get too worked up about wins and losses, Ratts has publicly stated he is using the remainder of the season to experiment so again, don't take things too seriously for the last 3 games.

That's my opinion.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 04 Aug 2021 8:02am
The club would absolutely implode in spectacular fashion if they started dropping players to make a statement NOW.

Remember Lethers coming out publicly much earlier in the season to state they wouldn't drop Hill just to make a statement.

In any case I wouldn't take things so seriously until we get back to normal programming and seasons not compromised by COVID, the players just want the season over and who could blame them.

Also we have been decimated this season by injury so another reason not to get too worked up about wins and losses, Ratts has publicly stated he is using the remainder of the season to experiment so again, don't take things too seriously for the last 3 games.

That's my opinion.
Players at AFL level couldn't give a stuff who gets dropped, they are more concerned about getting a game themselves. Lyon dropped NDS and Milne due to their slack defensive game, and there was no walkout- it's a wakeup call for the players dropped, and others who don't work hard enough on parts of their game.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

+1.

Would you agree that it was WRONG of Lethers and Ratts to state what they did publicly?

Excuses for poor form or for lack of effort in a game should not be tolerated if we are serious about becoming contenders

Senior players shouldn’t get a free pass just because they MAY come good. If you don’t perform there should be consequences.

The thing about the decision to move Hill to the backline was just as likely a decision to save face from our list management and footy department (and the club as a whole) as it was a decision that was in the best interests of the team. Can you imagine the backlash from Saints supporters and the feral media if we had dropped him?

I think Seb has been one of our better players since he came back into the side after his absence (along with Membrey) when we lost to Adelaide. Earlier in the year when Seb needed to play a role and he was playing as one of the small forwards, there were a few games where he was getting Benny Long type disposal stats. I’m sure people would view Longy differently if he had a midfielders role and he was allowed to run loose and pick up a few cheapy handball receives.
Last edited by Scollop on Wed 04 Aug 2021 8:44am, edited 1 time in total.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Wed 04 Aug 2021 8:27am

That's my opinion.
Players at AFL level couldn't give a stuff who gets dropped, they are more concerned about getting a game themselves. Lyon dropped NDS and Milne due to their slack defensive game, and there was no walkout- it's a wakeup call for the players dropped, and others who don't work hard enough on parts of their game.
Ironically players get real touchy about selection integrity and they give a stuff for a host of reasons, especially the players not getting a game and/or the players getting dropped after only one or two below standard games.

Hill put in about 10 VFL standard games in a row, so yeah it's about themselves when they see a player getting a game that shouldn't.

Selection integrity is massive and I'm still astounded Lethers appeared to undermine Ratts the way he did with regards to his public comments around the selection of Hill.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 04 Aug 2021 8:44am
Selection integrity is massive and I'm still astounded Lethers appeared to undermine Ratts the way he did with regards to his public comments around the selection of Hill.
See my opinion above regarding the club saving face after Hill’s VFL standard games and why Lethers thought it was important NOT to drop him

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

skeptic wrote: Tue 03 Aug 2021 11:07pm
WellardSaint wrote: Tue 03 Aug 2021 10:44pm
I know he’s out but I have no idea if it’s a tear, tightness or a strain
2-3 weeks. Season over.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 04 Aug 2021 8:47am
Vortex wrote: Wed 04 Aug 2021 8:44am
See my opinion above regarding the club saving face after Hill’s VFL standard games and why Lethers thought it was important NOT to drop him
Yeah have to aggree Scollop, at the time I thought the club was making a rod for its own back and if I play devils advocate, (and to be fair to the club), we were in a bind, Hills poor form was at a time we really didn't have any options at Sandy, and not just for Hills postion, and that's a whole university subject on its own isn't it.

And I sought of got the possible thinking that Hill would eventually come good because of his resume but it still wasn't a good look.

It's been a strange couple of years on planet earth aye! and gee we are delicately balanced as a club aren't we. As Gerard Wheatley said recently, the decisions the club make before this years trade period around recruiting stragegy are going to be vitally important to whether this current list build is successful or not.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

curious about who they pick…
.I admit that I always am
and often underwhelmed
when seeing the results….
aren’t we all?

Big stakes for the Swans.. Seen the fixture? If they smash us they can get their % higher than Brisbane’s, who win also probably win. They are a sniff for a double chance.

For us.
What’s at stake now?

Professionalism, I would say.

I expect a low scoring game of accountability first.

We may make a brave attempt here..

Selection wise…

We are so mediocre and threadbare…

What choices does Ratts have..

St Kilda will be cognizant of the low spirits of fans..

But risking injury?

Are the mids playing at full throttle? No idea at all..it doesn’t look impressive.

So I expect Lonie to come back. Clav has been average and his selection might weaken us, but will ‘may as well’ triumph over ‘best and maximum effort to win”?

But overall, I’d expect players to be very ‘accountable’ this week…Team first but Me second, and no one else …percentage tennis..

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
older saint
SS Life Member

Who knows where we sit with fitness tests however :

Out: Howard (inj), Clarke( inj) , Hunter, Long

In: Claravino ( lets see if he is worth keeping play last 3 games regardless), Ryder, Coffield ( has had bad year but top 5 B& F last year- happens with young players when they think they have made it - kick up the but he may need), Sinclair (if fit), Mckenzie

Bytel close but too many inside mids if he plays

bullmarket
Club Player

Ratten just interviewed on SEN

Ryder definitely not playing this week and could possibly be done for the balance of the season

Dougal - quite likely will not play again in 2021.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 04 Aug 2021 9:48am

So I expect Lonie to come back. Clav has been average and his selection might weaken us, but will ‘may as well’ triumph over ‘best and maximum effort to win”?
Lonie is done surely. He and Kent. Why play them? They've had so many opportunities to step up and make themselves without doubt best 22. Both should be delisted at season's end. Play the young fellas. Would much rather see Sharman and Bytel than Kent and Lonie

Laurie
Club Player

Play Joyce Claravino Coffield
Forget about Kent Hannabery no point getting games into them not in future plans.
As a saints supporter i would be totally pissed off playing Hannabery ahead of the likes of Joyce Clav and Coffield
But again does Lethlean have a say in team selection ?
BOOM BOOM

Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

Paddy and Billings are out.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I personally could not be more disinterested

Without Ryder we probably wouldn’t have won the games we did

I’m going out sat night and for the first time that I can remember I couldn’t care less

Laurie
Club Player

Well said Fireman.
Losing interest in saints very quickly the body language of some players tells me the same thing.

BOOM BOOM

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Re: Ins/Outs vs Swans- your opinions please

Outs: Billings, Clarke, Howard, Ryder (all inj) Long might get tipped out

Ins from: Sinclair, Bytel, Coffield, D Mac. One of Cleverino, Frawley or Joyce to replace Howard

Sharman in the 22, Hunter holds his spot for Ryder

Looks like Hannebery one more in the VFL. I would play him against his former side, after last week

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Thu 05 Aug 2021 2:30pm I personally could not be more disinterested

Without Ryder we probably wouldn’t have won the games we did

I’m going out sat night and for the first time that I can remember I couldn’t care less
You're probably not going anywhere Saturday night. Another lockdown coming tonight!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell