Daniel Talia - unrestricted free agent

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Re: Daniel Talia - unrestricted free agent

IMHO Lynch and Talia will end up at Collingwood if Don Pyke is coach. Having them will enable Pyke to have on field coaches (saving money on the soft cap) in the backline and forward line to help fast track education of his system. Cheap options for their restricted salary cap too.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Definitely take Daniel Talia as we are in absolutely desperate need of KPP defensive support. And I mean desperate.

We did very well out of Nathan Brown for absolutely peanuts and I'd expect we'd get a similar return out of Talia.

Frawley didn't work, but we didn't lose anything. And we wouldn't lose anything by having Talia.

In any event, why we persistently refuse to draft KPP defenders is totally beyond me - the decision to overlook Jacob Koschitzke in favour of Matt Parker being the most obvious recent one. Going for Clavarino in 2017 is our most recent one and we only started playing him this year.

We are seriously undermanned in this space and with the likely departures of Frawley and Carlisle, and possibly Joyce or Clavarino, and with Roberton already gone, we probably need to trade for a quality defender, sign a fringe option (Talia) and draft/rookie one as well.

I think we're at genuine bare bones and need both short and long-term options - a bad space to be. We really need one of Joyce or Clavarino to make it but I doubt both will be on the list next year.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I’m not opposed to taking a punt on Talia assuming Frawley and Carlisle are gone.
Would like to see us also target an under appreciated Defender - like Port did with Allir Allir.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Will the next Talia thread be about his sister Jenny ?

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Thu 12 Aug 2021 9:37pm Definitely take Daniel Talia as we are in absolutely desperate need of KPP defensive support. And I mean desperate.

We did very well out of Nathan Brown for absolutely peanuts and I'd expect we'd get a similar return out of Talia.

Frawley didn't work, but we didn't lose anything. And we wouldn't lose anything by having Talia.

In any event, why we persistently refuse to draft KPP defenders is totally beyond me - the decision to overlook Jacob Koschitzke in favour of Matt Parker being the most obvious recent one. Going for Clavarino in 2017 is our most recent one and we only started playing him this year.

We are seriously undermanned in this space and with the likely departures of Frawley and Carlisle, and possibly Joyce or Clavarino, and with Roberton already gone, we probably need to trade for a quality defender, sign a fringe option (Talia) and draft/rookie one as well.

I think we're at genuine bare bones and need both short and long-term options - a bad space to be. We really need one of Joyce or Clavarino to make it but I doubt both will be on the list next year.
There is a lot of common sense in what you say there, a Nathan Brown type would help us transition in a younger long term prospect and Talia could be that type so it's a matter of his durability for another 2 or 3 years and also finding a younger protege to also come in at the same time.

And it could be a good budget move also.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 12 Aug 2021 10:48pm
evertonfc wrote: Thu 12 Aug 2021 9:37pm Definitely take Daniel Talia as we are in absolutely desperate need of KPP defensive support. And I mean desperate.

There is a lot of common sense in what you say there, a Nathan Brown type would help us transition in a younger long term prospect and Talia could be that type so it's a matter of his durability for another 2 or 3 years and also finding a younger protege to also come in at the same time.

And it could be a good budget move also.
Yeah get him, he can sit in the stands in 2022 and keep Hannebery company.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

Wayne42 wrote: Thu 12 Aug 2021 9:57pm Will the next Talia thread be about his sister Jenny ?
It wasn’t funny the first time

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Adelaide are a bottom 4 side and have delisted him for a reason? Although Im torn if we were to lose Howard for 12 months then there is some merit in having someone like Talia as a back up. But our recent history of picking up other clubs discards has failed dismally - Frawley, Hunter & McKernan have all been shockers.

Highmore has shown he has a future, plus we have Battle without a fixed position and who has shown his best position is in defence. Then we have Joyce & Clavarino who are not stars but are reasonable developing back ups. A number of the top clubs have shown that you dont need to have extremely tall key defenders for them to be effective eg Grimes, Henry, McCartin, Rampe, McKenzie & Jonas.

If Talia has fully recovered from his injuries and doesnt want huge $$$ then he may be worth investing in as SSP player. It really depends on where our list management team see Battle, Clavarino, Joyce and Frawley positions on the list? Frawley will most likely be delisted, so IMO we stick with the players we have and target another young key position player later in the draft.

Sanctorum
Club Player

This proposal in my view is really a question about whether or not Jake Carlisle recovers and plays on in 2022 - if he does then there's no point recruiting Daniel Talia as he has the same physical stats, albeit not missed as many games as Jake through injury.

Rather than looking at a delisted (rejected) KPP defender I would much sooner the club scour the minor leagues for a mature aged 200 cm KPP defender (they must be out there), much like the excellent recruitment of Callum Wilkie, Tom Highmore and the promising Cooper Sharman.

On the subject of minor leagues, I wonder how the club goes about searching for talent in that arena, do they rely on volunteers, ex-players that coach, or paid personnel?? With severe cutbacks due to the pandemic the latter is unlikely. Maybe the club could get on to the past-players and seek their assistance to go and scout the minor leagues, especially the non-aligned teams in the VFL, SANFL and WAFL.

There are bound to be quite a few undiscovered diamonds in those fields - use the "old boys" network to do some digging.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote: Thu 12 Aug 2021 9:36pm IMHO Lynch and Talia will end up at Collingwood if Don Pyke is coach. Having them will enable Pyke to have on field coaches (saving money on the soft cap) in the backline and forward line to help fast track education of his system. Cheap options for their restricted salary cap too.
Sounds feasible to me.

repta
Club Player

Spent a year out of the game because his body is breaking down

Is quickly approaching his used by date

Sounds like a bargain. We need someone to take Hannebrys place in the medical room and another player for the "superannuation top ups"

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Fri 13 Aug 2021 3:34pm On the subject of minor leagues, I wonder how the club goes about searching for talent in that arena, do they rely on volunteers, ex-players that coach, or paid personnel?? With severe cutbacks due to the pandemic the latter is unlikely. Maybe the club could get on to the past-players and seek their assistance to go and scout the minor leagues, especially the non-aligned teams in the VFL, SANFL and WAFL.

There are bound to be quite a few undiscovered diamonds in those fields - use the "old boys" network to do some digging.
Very much a mix of all of the above. Not quite as professional as we'd like to think. I think "spotter fees" & "expenses" may still be involved.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Wayne42 wrote: Thu 12 Aug 2021 9:57pm Will the next Talia thread be about his sister Jenny ?
Come on, that'a a bit below the belt :shock: :D

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I think we can safely assume Carlisle is as good as cooked...He had limited flexibility after his first back operation I doubt it has improved after the second.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Carlisle is and was overrated

And looked like he barely gave a f***