Toby Greene - Nearest the pin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Toby Greene - Nearest the pin

Sainter_Dad wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 12:50pm ...
Razer and his "Look at Me" Cohorts are one of the current problems...
That's nonsense. First, the umpires don't make the rules nor the interpretations. They are handed both and forced to implement them. The assessment as to how well they have done that, determines who is umpiring at the pointy end of the season - not necessarily the "best" umpires.

Second, the rosy "good old days" view never existed. Umpires were far more idiosyncratic when there was just one of them.

Let me give you two examples. One from the 50s and one from the 70s. One day in the late 50s, Footscray were playing Fitzroy and Jack Irving was the umpire. Ted Whitten was captain coach of the Bulldogs. Right from the start, whenever Fitzroy got got a free, Whitten said "You're a mug Irving." In the last quarter, with scores close, a free went to Fitzroy in the centre of the ground. Once again, Whitton said "You're a mug Irving". Irving then said to Whitten, "How many times have you called me a mug today Ted?" Whitten replied, "About 4." Irving then said, "Right, 4 times 15 is 60" and paid a 60 metre penalty which brought the player to within goal. Fitzroy won the match by a few points. Irving was dropped from the panel the following week.

Second story. A game at Moorabbin in the 70s when it was wet. Paul Callery has been rammed in the back into the mud yet again and "enquired" to umpire Robinson as to why he didn't get the free. Robinson replied, " You haven't had a free today and you are not going to get one today." Robinson improved in this regard over the years.

Both of these stories came from the "horse's mouths" and indicate that the good old days were a myth. Although, I might contradict myself a bit. Back about 20 years ago, umpiring hit its peak in my view because the interpretation of the rules was broadened to be " Did the action put the player out of the contest?" This reduced trivial frees - like a finger tip grab of the jumper. Back then, two of the best umpires ever were going around - Mathew James and Brett Allen. They never paid what I call "weak" frees. This was of umpiring had been influenced by Bill Deller who had been that sort of umpire himself. Alas, our media friends got on the "consistency" bandwagon, so that these days the slightest grab of a jumper produces a free (if it is seen). I have no idea what constitutes a ruck infringement these days. Often, neither do either ruckman.

Ray Chamberlain is an excellent umpire and has been the victim of idiot media "personalities". One thing that hasn't changed much over the years, is that media "personalities" who are up themselves have little knowledge of the rules or which players actually have the ball. Of course I'm talking about that fool Taylor.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 9:32am Will be locked in a room with Morrsion, Gladys and Daniel Andrews and given a revolver with only 2 bullets.

Will shoot Andrews twice.......

<1 week ban for Political Baiting - and as third 1 week ban - bye bye>
Ridiculous ban - he made a topical joke we can all appreciate in the current climate. If any poster is thin skinned enough to respond to that, then i think you'll find there's your problem. TB's been around a lot longer than most and you'd so dismissedly say bye bye over that. This site grew on the back of a community, not on the back of a set of arbitrary rules. I think the community should have a say in such decisions, else it continue to wither.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

That fool Taylor is not too good with Hot water units nowadays either, his plumbing skills must have deserted him.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 2:48pm That fool Taylor is not too good with Hot water units nowadays either, his plumbing skills must have deserted him.
Cryptic....

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 2:34pm
Sainter_Dad wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 12:50pm ...
Razer and his "Look at Me" Cohorts are one of the current problems...
That's nonsense. First, the umpires don't make the rules nor the interpretations. They are handed both and forced to implement them. The assessment as to how well they have done that, determines who is umpiring at the pointy end of the season - not necessarily the "best" umpires.

Second, the rosy "good old days" view never existed. Umpires were far more idiosyncratic when there was just one of them.

Let me give you two examples. One from the 50s and one from the 70s. One day in the late 50s, Footscray were playing Fitzroy and Jack Irving was the umpire. Ted Whitten was captain coach of the Bulldogs. Right from the start, whenever Fitzroy got got a free, Whitten said "You're a mug Irving." In the last quarter, with scores close, a free went to Fitzroy in the centre of the ground. Once again, Whitton said "You're a mug Irving". Irving then said to Whitten, "How many times have you called me a mug today Ted?" Whitten replied, "About 4." Irving then said, "Right, 4 times 15 is 60" and paid a 60 metre penalty which brought the player to within goal. Fitzroy won the match by a few points. Irving was dropped from the panel the following week.

Second story. A game at Moorabbin in the 70s when it was wet. Paul Callery has been rammed in the back into the mud yet again and "enquired" to umpire Robinson as to why he didn't get the free. Robinson replied, " You haven't had a free today and you are not going to get one today." Robinson improved in this regard over the years.

Both of these stories came from the "horse's mouths" and indicate that the good old days were a myth. Although, I might contradict myself a bit. Back about 20 years ago, umpiring hit its peak in my view because the interpretation of the rules was broadened to be " Did the action put the player out of the contest?" This reduced trivial frees - like a finger tip grab of the jumper. Back then, two of the best umpires ever were going around - Mathew James and Brett Allen. They never paid what I call "weak" frees. This was of umpiring had been influenced by Bill Deller who had been that sort of umpire himself. Alas, our media friends got on the "consistency" bandwagon, so that these days the slightest grab of a jumper produces a free (if it is seen). I have no idea what constitutes a ruck infringement these days. Often, neither do either ruckman.

Ray Chamberlain is an excellent umpire and has been the victim of idiot media "personalities". One thing that hasn't changed much over the years, is that media "personalities" who are up themselves have little knowledge of the rules or which players actually have the ball. Of course I'm talking about that fool Taylor.
Gotta love how you selected a very narrow bit out of my post and then repeating almost the exact thing as I said:
Sainter_Dad wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 12:50pm Is the Action Dangerous (dangerously high (not touching the shoulder), tripping, slinging) or unfairly impeding (holding, scragging, not fairly competing for a mark) the opposition - if not - play on - if so - penalty - call it a Banana Penalty as far as I am concerned. If the ball is incorrectly disposed of - another Banana Penalty - don't care if you call it throwing or dropping - just call the Pen and indicate which way - then fade into the bushes again.
Sounds pretty much like
perfectionist wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 2:34pm Back about 20 years ago, umpiring hit its peak in my view because the interpretation of the rules was broadened to be " Did the action put the player out of the contest?" This reduced trivial frees - like a finger tip grab of the jumper. Back then, two of the best umpires ever were going around - Mathew James and Brett Allen. They never paid what I call "weak" frees. This was of umpiring had been influenced by Bill Deller who had been that sort of umpire himself. Alas, our media friends got on the "consistency" bandwagon, so that these days the slightest grab of a jumper produces a free (if it is seen).
Or Maybe you just saw me criticise Razer and had to leap to his defence without reading the post - Maybe you have Razer on alert.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 2:47pm
True Believer wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 9:32am Will be locked in a room with Morrsion, Gladys and Daniel Andrews and given a revolver with only 2 bullets.

Ridiculous ban - he made a topical joke we can all appreciate in the current climate. If any poster is thin skinned enough to respond to that, then i think you'll find there's your problem. TB's been around a lot longer than most and you'd so dismissedly say bye bye over that. This site grew on the back of a community, not on the back of a set of arbitrary rules. I think the community should have a say in such decisions, else it continue to wither.
I agree, harsh mate. Harsh.

Bowey Boy
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 2:31pm What a rubbish decision.

Just to make sure he doesn't play in a grannie. The AFL are absolute flogs.
I presume he can appeal which will take a week off. Back for the Grannie if they make it.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

I agree - I would have rathered 2 or 4 - at this point it really looks like the AFL is saying just in case GWS make the finals - you wont be playing. Optics people - Optics.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Got it!!!

3 weeks is about right

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 3:02pm

I agree - I would have rathered 2 or 4 - at this point it really looks like the AFL is saying just in case GWS make the finals - you wont be playing. Optics people - Optics.
Yep. Bad look. To me anyway.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 12:19pm
Sanctorum wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 12:05pm As the actress said to the Bishop: "that's a hard one...."
What was Julie doing with that actress ?
It could have been Bronwyn. :shock:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
asiu
Saintsational Legend

Word

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Totally agree. A topical observation in response to another's topical observation. Blending two current major news items. No one jacked up, the thread was not derailed. Surely this is play on.

Joffa Boy, now True Believer. Should have referred both to the tribunal.

Very harsh.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

agreed...needs to be reconsidered.

PS I'm a fan of Andrews

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 2:58pm "Gotta love how you selected a very narrow bit out of my post and then repeating almost the exact thing as I said:"

That seems a strange criticism. Had I copied all of your post you might have a point, but I didn't. I only copied that section which I thought was wrong.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Not so fast.
This could be reduced on appeal.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Yep TB ban should be overturned

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Banger9798
SS Life Member

Devilhead wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 4:45pm Yep TB ban should be overturned
Agreed.
I don't think he meant any harm by it (unless Dan Andrews reads this forum), it was not political....just personal.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Should have been 6 weeks.
Also re: TB's ban.... not sure joking about shooting someone is something this board should put up with

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

3 weeks is about right. You just have to enforce in the harshest way possible the restrictions on anything physical involving umpires. It was a deliberate shoulder and a stupid, idiotic and careless act.

Also #FreeTB

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

IluvHarvey wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 5:36pm Should have been 6 weeks.
Also re: TB's ban.... not sure joking about shooting someone is something this board should put up with
If issues raised whilst reading this Forum have caused you any concerns - please contact LifeLine on 13 11 14

― Aristophanes

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 5:41pm
If issues raised whilst reading this Forum have caused you any concerns - please contact LifeLine on 13 11 14
+ 1

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 5:47pm
Sainter_Dad wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 5:41pm
+ 1
Dare I say.

Shot thyself with the shooting shot.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Toby got off lightly.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

The_Dud wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 6:13pm Toby got off lightly.
Well Gill is not happy with it